• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Who Use English Names Lack Confidence

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Can I also include all of us that write in English, wear western clothes, embrace western technology like the PC etc. My personal prefernce is to adopt chinese christian names like loger, lobert just as the Malays and Indians do from Julia, Norman, Pinky, Nathan etc. With a name like Lobert Tan, people will immediately realise that you are modern beng.

You however got to be thankful that those with borderline IQ are allowed to post.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Can I also include all of us that write in English, wear western clothes, embrace western technology like the PC etc. My personal prefernce is to adopt chinese christian names like loger, lobert just as the Malays and Indians do from Julia, Norman, Pinky, Nathan etc. With a name like Lobert Tan, people will immediately realise that you are modern beng.

You however got to be thankful that those with borderline IQ are allowed to post.

Your understanding of this topic is out of context,but anyway I agree completely that those with borderline IQ are allowed to post.Cheers

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree. That also goes to those believing in angmo God. Got Chinese Gods don't want to believe, why go believe angmo God for what? Also, Chinese Gods are around much longer than angmo know how to wear clothes.

The two main non-Chinese originated religions practised by Chinese are Buddhism and Christianity, Indian and Jewish in origins respectively. It was the ancient Europeans (Romans and Greeks) whom foresaked their European gods (Zeus, Apollo, Thor et al) that led to the impression now that Christianity is an European religion.

The original religion in ancient China had no gods except heaven and earth, and ancestral worshipping. Buddhism was imported during the Han dynasty but not widely popularised until the Tang dynasty, when the Emperor recognised it's usefulness in politics and didn't ideologically clash with his claim to be Son of Heaven. Buddhism (mahayana) has been used by succeeding emperors since as de facto state religion, thereby giving the impression that it's a Chinese religion.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wen Jiabao's son is called Winston Wen

So.. He lacks confidence? He just raised $1 billion hor..

Cheebye PRC brainless dogs

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isn't there a fellow by the name of Steven always posting on YouTube, act like bapok, he seems confident to act like bapok

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The original religion in ancient China had no gods except heaven and earth, and ancestral worshipping.

Yup, so why go worship an angmo God?

I'm not sure about Buddhism, but I heard that Buddhism don't worship God. A Buddha is just someone who is enlightened to the truth of all phenomenal and show the way to those not enlightened yet. Hence, the Buddha reveals that every sentient beings has the potential to become a Buddha like himself, or the enlightened one. That means everyone and anyone can become a Buddha. That's what my mahayana Buddhist friend told me.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I'm not sure about Buddhism, but I heard that Buddhism don't worship God. A Buddha is just someone who is enlightened to the truth of all phenomenal and show the way to those not enlightened yet. Hence, the Buddha reveals that every sentient beings has the potential to become a Buddha like himself, or the enlightened one. That means everyone and anyone can become a Buddha. That's what my mahayana Buddhist friend told me.

Same question can be reversed, why believe an Indian? (Pardon me if I sound blunt, but just to illustrate the point of questioning why believe in any foreign god or religion?)

A Chinese wanting to be pure Chinese religiously, go read the I-Jing and Dao-De Jing, that's sufficient.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Totally agreed,good shot,Bro

neilgoose

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same question can be reversed, why believe an Indian? (Pardon me if I sound blunt, but just to illustrate the point of questioning why believe in any foreign god or religion?)

Oh dear, Ramseth you miss the point. You do not need to believe in Buddha. Buddhism is not faith-based. You do not need to believe in anything to follow Buddhism.

Quote from Buddha himself:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
Buddha quotes (Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C.)

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh dear, Ramseth you miss the point. You do not need to believe in Buddha. Buddhism is not faith-based. You do not need to believe in anything to follow Buddhism.

My point is, don't criticise (and even condemn) others of your same race just because they choose to believe in something foreign, nothing to do with the contents of what Buddha or Jesus or anyone taught.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The two main non-Chinese originated religions practised by Chinese are Buddhism and Christianity, Indian and Jewish in origins respectively. It was the ancient Europeans (Romans and Greeks) whom foresaked their European gods (Zeus, Apollo, Thor et al) that led to the impression now that Christianity is an European religion.

The original religion in ancient China had no gods except heaven and earth, and ancestral worshipping. Buddhism was imported during the Han dynasty but not widely popularised until the Tang dynasty, when the Emperor recognised it's usefulness in politics and didn't ideologically clash with his claim to be Son of Heaven. Buddhism (mahayana) has been used by succeeding emperors since as de facto state religion, thereby giving the impression that it's a Chinese religion.

wrong buddha came from nepal.

Yeah it spread to india and was brought to china via india but it's not an indian religion.

Btw hmm does anyone think buddhism originated in china?

Pardon me for saying this but lately you seem to be posting about stuff that are pretty general, like pretty well known stuff, nothing ground breaking. Very close to getting the remark no shit sherlock!

jw5

Loyal
I have no comment on whether chinese who use english names lacks confidence.
But please differentiate between people who were given their english names by their parents and those who gave themselves their english names when they became an adult.
Next time if you encounter someone and find that you have a problem with him or his english name, ask him whether the name is in his birth cert.
If it is, please go and talk to the guy's parents.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no, ask those aunties praying at buddha temple...

maybe they will be shaken alittle when they find out the truth...:biggrin:

aiyah pls lah anyway they all worship a chinese version of buddhism. Goddess of mercy and the laughing buddha look chinese anyway.

I mean seriously why is there a need from someone to sort of stress that buddhism did not orginate from china? Football did not originate from england but china but even if it was from england the best players don't come from england.

I just somehow have the impression that someone is trying to imply something but not so implicitly.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wrong buddha came from nepal.

Yeah it spread to india and was brought to china via india but it's not an indian religion.

Nepal was a principality of under the Indian empire then. Buddhism was born out of Hinduism, fundamentally to break out of the the caste system as Buddha saw was causing suffering to all castes.

In any case, Nepal is as foreign to China as India, if that's your point.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
So Oprah Winfrey, Witney Houston, Willl Smith and millions of African Americans lack confidence because they don't have African names. How come no one says anything about them?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nepal was a principality of under the Indian empire then. Buddhism was born out of Hinduism, fundamentally to break out of the the caste system as Buddha saw was causing suffering to all castes.

In any case, Nepal is as foreign to China as India, if that's your point.

the pt is buddhism originated from nepal not from india.

Yeah it is probably as foreign to the chinese as the indians are, I WOULD ASSUME

see those capital words, i don't know if the chinese find the nepalese as foreign to them as the indians. :rolleyes: therefore i am just making an assumption and not stating it as a god given right.

Lastly thanks for the wonderful insight you have given to the forum. I mean wow buddhism didn't originate from china? From another thread: Cheetahs are the world's fastest animals on land? Thanks for such ground breaking info, you are the light that shines unto the darkness that we live in since we all lack google or wikipedia and you know most of us here are idiots that wouldn't know such profound statements you have written her.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So Oprah Winfrey, Witney Houston, Willl Smith and millions of African Americans lack confidence because they don't have African names. How come no one says anything about them?

They are the decendants of slaves. The slaves were stripped of all their african heritage and identity.

Read up on the story roots starring the main protagonist Kunta Kinte. Forced to change his name to toby. Therefore the name toby still has references to that story and how the africans were enslaved and forced to change everything african about themselves with the exception of their external appearance.

They obviously didn't take up these ang moh names and religions willingly.