• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Surnames

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I knew. You were so keen you couldnt wait till I was completely out that you were blowing me already.

That would probably even register a faint hint of a laugh if replied to the correct person.

As it is it shows that you're a chow gay faggot like that mr gay. I for one would never even fanthom being blown by any random ugly female let alone a male. You fag.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
common surname... i personally think it a fluke to have 4 tans in the PE race. Most of us been to NS here, how many of your NS mates have same surname? In my case, not much. Yes there a couple of same surname but the rest different. Even in NS, not all are call by their surname. Some were refer by their nickname given by their mates. i remember my coy have a guy surname Ooi which is uncommon but he was refer by all as 001.

btw, who in the real world are refer as their surname. Only stoopid angmo do that. And to TS, there are hundreds of surnames for chinese folks. Chinese use their surnames to bond them to their ancestor village/town. A mean to trace their roots. That why early days there were so many chinese clans. Now because of current western influence, many chinese do not even know their roots.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think TS has a point. Tans and some other commons are really too many. My surname is also one of the commons. Another poster said PRC considered combining parents' surnames. That's an interesting idea but as he also said, not popular in PRC enough to work. I think Chinese have some sort of approved surnames catalogue from ancient times. Angmohs can anyhow choose or spell their surnames but Chinese surnames must be allocated from that catalogue by emperor or nobles.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think TS has a point. Tans and some other commons are really too many. My surname is also one of the commons. Another poster said PRC considered combining parents' surnames. That's an interesting idea but as he also said, not popular in PRC enough to work. I think Chinese have some sort of approved surnames catalogue from ancient times. Angmohs can anyhow choose or spell their surnames but Chinese surnames must be allocated from that catalogue by emperor or nobles.

Have you ever considered this. That there are more chinese in the world. I think the number of overseas chinese probably number as many as the ang mohs in most european countries.

In any case there are many chinese with unusual surnames.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
btw, who in the real world are refer as their surname. Only stoopid angmo do that. And to TS, there are hundreds of surnames for chinese folks. Chinese use their surnames to bond them to their ancestor village/town. A mean to trace their roots. That why early days there were so many chinese clans. Now because of current western influence, many chinese do not even know their roots.

I'm sure TS would be very happy to see less chinese know their roots. In any case he's a eurasian and some of them have that mentality that all cos they are partially white they somehow are better than pure bred asians.

I'm sure he judges ppl based on this hierachy. Pure bred whites, mixed breed eurasians with ang moh surnames close to ang moh culture, eurasians with asian surnames, eurasians that are closer to their asian culture, pure bred asians or chinese that are english educated, chinese that are chinese educated and lastly chinese that speak hokkien more than mandarin.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure TS would be very happy to see less chinese know their roots. In any case he's a eurasian and some of them have that mentality that all cos they are partially white they somehow are better than pure bred asians.

No, don't be mistaken. I harbour no such meaning. There're pretty many scumbag Eurasians and Caucasians around the world too, just like there're in other races. This thread is about surnames. Someone pointed out that there're many Chinese surnames and even listed them. Thanks for the contribution. Then, the problem must be uneven distribution of surnames with a small number having a lot of less common surnames among them, but a huge number sharing a few common surnames like Tan, Lee, Lim etc.

Another pointed out it's because of the concentration of migration from southern provinces. A valid factor and thanks for the contribution too. Another pointed out that ancient China had catalogued and allocated surnames and westerners could choose and spell in whichever they preferred. True and thanks too.

Last edited:

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, don't be mistaken. I harbour no such meaning. There're pretty many scumbag Eurasians and Caucasians around the world too, just like there're in other races. This thread is about surnames. Someone pointed out that there're many Chinese surnames and even listed them. Thanks for the contribution. Then, the problem must be uneven distribution of surnames with a small number having a lot of less common surnames among them, but a huge number sharing a few common surnames like Tan, Lee, Lim etc.

Another pointed out it's because of the concentration of migration from southern provinces. A valid factor and thanks for the contribution too. Another pointed out that ancient China has catalogued and allocated surnames and westerners could choose and spell in whichever they liked. True and thanks too.

every race got their unit system, is matter whethe u give a damn to take effort to understand them or not, u simply bring up this thread by criticise the chinese surname system, u must well complaint india name too long to write or too difficult to pronoun....

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
every race got their unit system, is matter whethe u give a damn to take effort to understand them or not, u simply bring up this thread by criticise the chinese surname system, u must well complaint india name too long to write or too difficult to pronoun....

Another misunderstanding. I started this thread not to criticise. It's just prompted by our four presidential candidates all unrelated but having the same surnames.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another misunderstanding. I started this thread not to criticise. It's just prompted by our four presidential candidates all unrelated but having the same surnames.

so wat they same surname, mostly people know they are tony kia, tan jee say, tan kin lian and tan cheng bor. u r the one with their surname problem. as i said every race had their unit system, u r just trying to be funny.... respect is the key word!

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yeah that's just a coincidence, nothing more.

FYI if four of them have the same surname it's obvious that all 4 have a common ancestor somewhere down the line.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FYI if four of them have the same surname it's obvious that all 4 have a common ancestor somewhere down the line.

That's not necessarily true. It depends on which town your ancestors came from. Surnames in ancient days were made up randomly as fancied after the idea of family and clan names caught on. Later on, it was used to prevent accidental incest. It was common that a village or small town be given two or three or a few surnames only. Within the village or town, they must marry one of the other surnames. However, other villages and towns may be given some of the same surnames too. They had no blood relation. As villages grew into towns and towns grew into cities, some surnames would inadvertently grew disproportionately in population. That's why in traditional Chinese introduction, the surname and the town they came from is given first, e.g. "I'm surnamed Lim from Hokkien Anhui." In clan associations, if you visit one and read the signboard properly, the originating town is also written.

The traditional Chinese naming and identification system was also more complex than you think and even most modern Chinese don't know. After the surname and town of origin identificaton, there were a given name at birth (ming) and a taken name (zi) at adulthood. Addressing each other by taken name meant casual friends or acquaintences in formalities. Addressing each other by given name meant relatives or close friends.

The Mongolians and Manchurians who at one time or another ruled China, didn't abolish that system. It was ROC that abolished that system, or as they said, modernized and simplified the system.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Addressing each other by given name meant relatives or close friends.

Thanks for the info. Since all 4 of them are descendants of migrants like probably almost all sinkees they might not even know which town they originated from but seeing that they are all pretty old i don't think that's the case. It would more likely be for the younger ones.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since u have difficulty remembering the surnames of your chinese friends then I would strongly suggest you ditch all of them.

btw how does your chinese friends address you? Do they call you by your fanciful eurasian name or they just call you 'cc' ?

Cc - chup cheng.

No offence ok. I have a couple eurasian friends with their difficult to pronounce eurasian names. So I just call the fat 1 pui chup cheng, thin one san chup cheng and young one chup cheng kia.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: That is funny.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a bit of interesting contrast yet commonality between the two naming systems - first name and last name. Chinese put surname first and westerners put surname last. The commonality is that the first is usually more common and the last is usually less common with more variety. For example in US or UK, you call out loud John! I think many would respond, could be John Smith, John Black, John White, John Brown etc.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand Koreans and Vietnamese also use same Chinese surname system, that's why also many unrelated same surnames. Japanese use Chinese characters also but they all seem two-character type and different system.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the info. Since all 4 of them are descendants of migrants like probably almost all sinkees they might not even know which town they originated from but seeing that they are all pretty old i don't think that's the case. It would more likely be for the younger ones.

it just a matter of parents making an effort to educate their kids of their roots. i am a 5th generation singapore "yen". i do know where my ancestors orginated from, canton, kaiping. i also know the village name but cannot post here as that will expose my surname.:biggrin: There a ancestral hall there, i will make a trip there to put down my name and my son name to the records.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it just a matter of parents making an effort to educate their kids of their roots. i am a 5th generation singapore "yen". i do know where my ancestors orginated from, canton, kaiping. i also know the village name but cannot post here as that will expose my surname.:biggrin: There a ancestral hall there, i will make a trip there to put down my name and my son name to the records.

Actually what's wrong with exposing your surname?

I guess you're one of the rare ones though.

I do notice that cantonese ppl seem to have a better grasp of their dialect compared to hokkiens?