• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Surnames

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ongoing presidential illustrates the inadequacy of Chinese surnames adequately. All four candidates are Tans. Useless and meaningless to identify families and clans. When you tell someone, please go and see Mr. Tan (or Lim or Lee etc.), it's meaningless as an address. You need the full name. I'm sure that there're tens of thousands of Tans (or Lims or Lees) out there.

I wonder how the Chinese attach any sense of pride in their surnames. It's like two dozens a penny, two pounds a dime and two tons a dollar all sharing your same surnames.

I struggled with Chinese surnames of my Chinese friends until I gave up, I only remember them by their given names. Every other one is a Tan, Lim or Lee etc. What for remember their surnames?

Last edited:

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not much choice and no way to change. 5,000 years traditional. I think Chinese surnames were given by ancient emperors, not like angmoh suka-suka anyhow name. Maybe ancient Chinese emperors all too lazy to study when they were princes. So vocab not so wide. That's why so narrow variety in surnames.

leetahbah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Family names like Brown, White, Black, Bush, Major are very common in the western world.

Even common are MacDonald, McIntyre, Reagan, Luke, Peters, Peterson, Grant etc

For muslims, names are more common because there are plentiful of Muhammad who may name their sons Abdul, Ali, etc that's why many malays are resorting to western names.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are obviously an ignorant fool. Did you grow up in singapore?

Singapore Chinese come from southern China where Tan/Chan, Lim, Lee and Wong/Ong are very common surnames. Common surnames in north China are rarely seen here.

Bother to read up about other cultures before making posts like these.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are thousands of Chinese surnames, some of which
we don;t even come across. Also have 2 words surname
like Sima司马, Situ (Seetoh)司徒, Murong 慕容
Sikong司空....
In SG is Tan Lim Lee
In CN is Zhao Qian Sun

中 华 百 家 姓 一 览

「姓氏」在现代汉语中是一个词,但在秦汉以前,姓和氏有明显的区别。姓源于母系社会,同一个姓表示同一个母系的血缘关系。中国最早的姓,大都从「女」旁,如:姜,姚,姒,妫,嬴等,表示这是一些不同的老祖母传下的氏族人群。而氏的产生则在姓之后,是按父系来标识血缘关系的结果,这只能在父权家长制确立时才有可能。因此,当我们读到「黄帝轩辕氏,姬姓」以及「炎帝列山氏,姜姓」时,可以明白,中华民族共同始祖炎黄二帝原分属两个按母系血缘关系组织起来的部落或部落联盟,一姓姜,一姓姬,而他们又分别拥有表示自己父权家长制首领的氏称;列山,轩辕。姓和氏有严格区别又同时使用的的局面表明,母权制已让位于父权制,但母系社会的影响还存在,这种影响一直到春秋战国以后才逐渐消亡。

《百家姓》本是北宋初年钱塘(杭州)的一个书生所编撰的蒙学读物,将常见的姓氏篇成四字一句的韵文,像一首四言诗,便与诵读和记忆,因此,流传至今,影响极深。《百家姓》本来收集四百一十一个经赠补到五百零四个姓,其中单因姓四百四十四个,复姓六十个。

赵 钱 孙 李周 吴 郑 王冯 陈 褚 卫蒋 沈 韩 杨
朱 秦 尤 许
何 吕 施 张
孔 曹 严 华
金 魏 陶 姜
戚 谢 邹 喻
柏 水 窦 章
云 苏 潘 葛
奚 范 彭 郎
鲁 韦 昌 马
苗 凤 花 方
俞 任 袁 柳
酆 鲍 史 唐
费 廉 岑 薛
雷 贺 倪 汤
滕 殷 罗 毕
郝 邬 安 常
乐 于 时 傅
皮 卞 齐 康
伍 余 元 卜
顾 孟 平 黄
和 穆 萧 尹
姚 邵 湛 汪
祁 毛 禹 狄
米 贝 明 臧
计 伏 成 戴
谈 宋 茅 庞
熊 纪 舒 屈
项 祝 董 梁
杜 阮 蓝 闵
席 季 麻 强
贾 路 娄 危
江 童 颜 郭
梅 盛 林 刁
钟 徐 邱 骆
高 夏 蔡 田
樊 胡 凌 霍
虞 万 支 柯
昝 管 卢 莫
柯 房 裘 缪
干 解 应 宗
丁 宣 贲 邓
郁 单 杭 洪
包 诸 左 石
崔 吉 钮 龚
程 嵇 邢 滑
裴 陆 荣 翁
荀 羊 于 惠
甄 曲 家 封
芮 羿 储 靳
汲 邴 糜 松
井 段 富 巫
乌 焦 巴 弓
牧 隗 山 谷
车 侯 宓 蓬
全 郗 班 仰
秋 仲 伊 宫
宁 仇 栾 暴
甘 钭 历 戎
祖 武 符 刘
景 詹 束 龙
叶 幸 司 韶
郜 黎 蓟 溥
印 宿 白 怀
蒲 邰 从 鄂
索 咸 籍 赖
卓 蔺 屠 蒙
池 乔 阳 郁
胥 能 苍 双
闻 莘 党 翟
谭 贡 劳 逄
姬 申 扶 堵
冉 宰 郦 雍
却 璩 桑 桂
濮 牛 寿 通
边 扈 燕 冀
浦 尚 农
温 别 庄 晏
柴 瞿 阎 充
慕 连 茹 习
宦 艾 鱼 容
向 古 易 慎
戈 廖 庾 终
暨 居 衡 步
都 耿 满 弘
匡 国 文 寇
广 禄 阙 东
欧 殳 沃 利
蔚 越 夔 隆
师 巩 厍 聂
晁 勾 敖 融
冷 訾 辛 阚
那 简 饶 空
曾 毋 沙 乜
养 鞠 须 丰
巢 关 蒯 相
查 后 荆 红
游 竺 权 逮
盍 益 桓 公
万俟 司马
上官 欧阳
夏侯 诸葛
闻人 东方
赫连 皇甫
尉迟 公羊
澹台 公冶
宗政 濮阳
淳于 单于
太叔 申屠
公孙 仲孙
轩辕 令狐
徐离 宇文
长孙 慕容
司徒 司空

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr forvenet.

So what sort of heritage are you? You claim eurasian so what's your asian side?

PS i remember ramseth starting a thread like this before.

Also so what if they have the same surname? Ppl with the same surname have roots tracing them to the same clan.

PS what do you think about indians with the surname singh? ALL of them are singh ok.

Somehow ppl like you will only specifically target chinese but give some riddiculous senseless explaination why it's acceptable for all punjabis to be called singh.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are obviously an ignorant fool. Did you grow up in singapore?

Singapore Chinese come from southern China where Tan/Chan, Lim, Lee and Wong/Ong are very common surnames. Common surnames in north China are rarely seen here.

Bother to read up about other cultures before making posts like these.

This bugger only targets chinese. What about punjabis? Every male is called singh every female is a kaur.

Btw i remember ram starting a thread like this.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm still proud of my Chinese surname even though there are thousands in Spore having that surname too..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Chinks confound you, listen up for the Indians - s/o for son of ; Malays - bin or binte; Danes - nielsen, hansen, jensen etc; Jews - Spielberg, Strasberg, Calsberg, Iceberg!?

So not a quandary of chinese alone. Bro, better sit down and ask yr parents to explain genealogy of yr family name. Dont shame yr ancestors.

The ongoing presidential illustrates the inadequacy of Chinese surnames adequately. All four candidates are Tans. Useless and meaningless to identify families and clans. When you tell someone, please go and see Mr. Tan (or Lim or Lee etc.), it's meaningless as an address. You need the full name. I'm sure that there're tens of thousands of Tans (or Lims or Lees) out there.

I wonder how the Chinese attach any sense of pride in their surnames. It's like two dozens a penny, two pounds a dime and two tons a dollar all sharing your same surnames.

I struggled with Chinese surnames of my Chinese friends until I gave up, I only remember them by their given names. Every other one is a Tan, Lim or Lee etc. What for remember their surnames?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
listen up for the Indians - s/o for son of ; Malays - bin or binte;

you also barely pass lah..

Tamils and Malays don't have surnames lah.. their second names are their father's. Bin = son of, binte = daughter of..

So when you phone Osama bin Laden, please don't say "can I speak to Mr bin Laden?.." Because his father will come and speak to you..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who says they dont have surnames? If you ask for Ramachadran is he son of Gunalingam or Muthusamy? If you ask for Ahmad, is he bin Laden or bin Jabil?

So you still struggle with the family name.

you also barely pass lah..

Tamils and Malays don't have surnames lah.. their second names are their father's. Bin = son of, binte = daughter of..

So when you phone Osama bin Laden, please don't say "can I speak to Mr bin Laden?.." Because his father will come and speak to you..

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's what I'm saying.. They have no surnames. their fathers' name is appended behind their own names.

eg,

Father is called Hasnim Haron
Son is called Zulkainan Hasnim
Grandson will be called Fandi Zulkainan

The second name of each generation is different.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whats in a name a piece of shit by any other name does it not smell as foul and a rose by any other name does it smell as sweet? Its the deeds that one does that makes him stands out from the rest.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for much of china's history, winner took all. loser clans were slaughtered, women either became whores or were thrown into harems, children became slaves, and surviving males changed their surnames to those of their new masters or adopted those which were not blacklisted by the winners for extermination. dominant clans passed their genes and names down while loser scumbags hid in hills and die off.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having A Chinese Surname Is Still Better Than The Rest !

Oracle2.jpg

Chinese surnames are more colourful than 'ang moh's'. The Europeans' and Middle East Asians' are NOT consistent with their actual heritages. My surname is actually a Shang Dynasty royal surname. And of course, I'm proud of it !

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess yuo're right. I stand corrected. It seems they are similar to the Danes, Swedes etc who also have the same convention called the Icelandic naming system.

Once it was asked why were there no telephones in China?

The reason is that there are too many Wings and Wongs you might wing the wong number!

That's what I'm saying.. They have no surnames. their fathers' name is appended behind their own names.

eg,

Father is called Hasnim Haron
Son is called Zulkainan Hasnim
Grandson will be called Fandi Zulkainan

The second name of each generation is different.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal

a cross breed low class asshole like u will never understand the chinese surname system. fuck you jiacheng kia! go suck angmo cock!!!:oIo: