• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chinese Educated Chinese - reap what you sow

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like most countries, there's always an ethnic, race or whatever you want to label it, predominant group trying to wrestle control and spread their network (wealth), culture and stifle any other race around.

I am a peranakan guy growing up in a poor family and I can say I took the brunt of most these Chinese Ed hatred since I could remember. Typical english ed are rich and hence arrogant from what I observed. But because I talk like them due to my better "england" and culture I end up with the sam brush but without the safety net of the rich network and lifestyle to avoid such cretins.

Looking back as an adult now. I find it strange that such is the way of life for minorities in singapore. When I was in the army, surely I was badly bullied and beaten. And like my Indian friend across the other company complained equally the same issues with these chinese ed I encountered. At that time and age, I thought I was the problem and I didn't even know about this Chinese Ed issue, let alone protected.

In the political scene, Tang Liang Hong confronted this issue to the most ugliest possible and I thought he sucked cos he brought other factors in like religion and status and turned it into a circus. Yes, there's some truth in it but the big picture painted was distorted and wrong, like what if a Chinese ed was christian? I believe its better handled at a personal basis. Such issue can never be solved by "policies".

As I grew up, I see my job opportunities being taken away by these chinese ed as again, I had no like minded network. In fact, competing in interviews for executive jobs, speaking much better than the ah beng without much effort didnt land me any decent jobs. At one time during the recession, for a customer service job with Starhub. When I spoke fluently, the ah lian interviewers face turned soured and hostle. Some ppl just dont know that expressions are obvious. Mind you, I am not the ABC fake slanger type. I can also speak hokkien like the pai kia style as I came from such low life schools. Its so bad that the schools defunct now.

And even, when I got the job, guess what? Yep, the harrassment didnt stop. You find these cretins being backstabbing colleagues. Not the usual ones that try to bring u down and get themselves promoted. The "ostracising, lying, defamimg, backstabbing, get promoted and got you fired at the same time type.

Sometimes, when I see these ah bengs in their pseudo sports car, Subaru and the ilk, with their golden pork floss disaster of a hair, playing loud neon strobing music, while I waited for my next bus ride, I cringe at the thought of Capitalism's cruel way of showing the survival of the fittest motto.

Thankfully, in a strange way, the govt decision of opening the PR floodgates sort of defused the whole chinese ad stranglehold. Now, they are busy bitching about these ppl, a taste of their own medicine as I hope one day, they end up like a minority and go through what I did.

I wonder how many minorities went through life like me. rant over.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you said did also happened to my elder siblings. My dad enrolled them in English schools back then. And I heard from their accounts that people threw stones at them, shout insult at them for being "Kay Ang Mo" (fake Ang Mo) when they were on the way to school. I think those are extremist.

But some neighbours still brought letters written in english to let my family help translate..... sigh.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like most countries, there's always an ethnic, race or whatever you want to label it, predominant group trying to wrestle control and spread their network (wealth), culture and stifle any other race around.

I am a peranakan guy growing up in a poor family and I can say I took the brunt of most these Chinese Ed hatred since I could remember. Typical english ed are rich and hence arrogant from what I observed. But because I talk like them due to my better "england" and culture I end up with the sam brush but without the safety net of the rich network and lifestyle to avoid such cretins.

Looking back as an adult now. I find it strange that such is the way of life for minorities in singapore. When I was in the army, surely I was badly bullied and beaten. And like my Indian friend across the other company complained equally the same issues with these chinese ed I encountered. At that time and age, I thought I was the problem and I didn't even know about this Chinese Ed issue, let alone protected.

In the political scene, Tang Liang Hong confronted this issue to the most ugliest possible and I thought he sucked cos he brought other factors in like religion and status and turned it into a circus. Yes, there's some truth in it but the big picture painted was distorted and wrong, like what if a Chinese ed was christian? I believe its better handled at a personal basis. Such issue can never be solved by "policies".

As I grew up, I see my job opportunities being taken away by these chinese ed as again, I had no like minded network. In fact, competing in interviews for executive jobs, speaking much better than the ah beng without much effort didnt land me any decent jobs. At one time during the recession, for a customer service job with Starhub. When I spoke fluently, the ah lian interviewers face turned soured and hostle. Some ppl just dont know that expressions are obvious. Mind you, I am not the ABC fake slanger type. I can also speak hokkien like the pai kia style as I came from such low life schools. Its so bad that the schools defunct now.

And even, when I got the job, guess what? Yep, the harrassment didnt stop. You find these cretins being backstabbing colleagues. Not the usual ones that try to bring u down and get themselves promoted. The "ostracising, lying, defamimg, backstabbing, get promoted and got you fired at the same time type.

Sometimes, when I see these ah bengs in their pseudo sports car, Subaru and the ilk, with their golden pork floss disaster of a hair, playing loud neon strobing music, while I waited for my next bus ride, I cringe at the thought of Capitalism's cruel way of showing the survival of the fittest motto.

Thankfully, in a strange way, the govt decision of opening the PR floodgates sort of defused the whole chinese ad stranglehold. Now, they are busy bitching about these ppl, a taste of their own medicine as I hope one day, they end up like a minority and go through what I did.

I wonder how many minorities went through life like me. rant over.

Hahaha..Good one!...you really give quite an accurate view of what is really happening now...but I guess the Ah Beng or Ah Lian chinese ed, didn't figure from the onset that it is a Peranakan family that sets the rule here!:biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
:confused::confused: I think I maybe from a younger generation, but there shouldn't be any Chinese schools in Singapore anymore. They are all English now. :confused::confused::confused::confused: Are you talking about the 30s 40s where we still have Chinese schools and a university?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i don't agree...in fact many chinese-educated and the nanyang graduates were without jobs..many were given to those english-educated ones...the chinese educated ones had to go out and fan for themselves finding their own jobs and creating their own jobs...now many of them are successful businessmen...thanks and no thanks to you know what....the destruction of nantah...and the introduction of integrated schools...now where got chinese schools anymore???...mandarin is almost dead....if you are not versatile, you can't get a job anywhere in the world...chinese educated or english educated, you have to carve a job yourself or seek your own niche and survive in this big fish eat small fish world...

nothing to do with peranakan or chinese educated or english educated...it's about yourself and your aspirations and your capabilities...dare to venture...

don't envy others....or seek any special treatment....improve yourself and seek your own salvation...cheers!

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha..Good one!...you really give quite an accurate view of what is really happening now...but I guess the Ah Beng or Ah Lian chinese ed, didn't figure from the onset that it is a Peranakan family that sets the rule here!:biggrin:

lol. But most chinese ed, In fact I would say as long as they are pure chinese, meaning if you go KTV all the songs they sing is chinese songs only kind are the ones that I am indidcating.

Not sure about the younger generation, my brothers now in the army and he told me that now his age group are more mixed language mindset or "chapalang". They dont know the difference much. However, he did encounter those extremist racist bastards in the army trying to gang up and bully him.

Most here in the forum I would believe are chinese ed too, thats why we are miniorities right? But unlike FT who come here and enjoy the fruit we fucking plant - we babas, malays and indians never had the chance to constantly get to pick even the average fruits . Most chinese eds would not understand the plight we go through because they dont experience the problems. A good example would be the "CHINESE SPEAKING ONLY" hiring requirements in the recruit ads. You see them all the time. The govt elite wont stop this racist fuckers because they want to placate the majority vote. As a chinese ed - they might think its casual but, to us its serious - NO JOB NO MONEY NO FAMILY TO FEED.

The irony is that the elite are the top few english ed of all races controlling the chinese ed chinese - the majority race in singapore - status quo as in the middle income and preventing them from climbing to the elite social circle power. Hence, the jealousy and anger. They know they cant climb that high but have to completely overthrow them inorder to enjoy "proper status". Because example, Ah seng, if promoted to inner circle high crass power also cannot sing beatles songs with the english ed at high crass KTV. can you imagine the scenerio? lol.

Hence, we become the beating stick for this fucking jealousy.

Like I say its good that FTs are coming in. They may take our jobs at lower pay, but at least the racist abuse will be less focused on us.

And what's there to fear? If you are good most probably ppl will hire. If you are fuck up and used to rely on "culture cliques" then you only get what you deserve.

If you have good skills and can communicate well, good international employers will know how to use you. Those complaining the most are those ah beng, ah lian who relied on their "culture" networking and enjoyed the good times from the 80's till recently.

Look at sim lim sq ah bengs do they fuck talk england but still get decent salaries and keep their great electronic booming jobs. And compare their pork floss hair style to some of the shenton pork floss "execs" - any difference in appearance? can that be proffesional having cock hair style?!! It only goes to show that culture is very deep and business comes distant second.

globalisation and metropolitan way of life will finally kill this racist monster and make the job market fairer in the long run for all people.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol. But most chinese ed, In fact I would say as long as they are pure chinese, meaning if you go KTV all the songs they sing is chinese songs only kind are the ones that I am indidcating.

Not sure about the younger generation, my brothers now in the army and he told me that now his age group are more mixed language mindset or "chapalang". They dont know the difference much. However, he did encounter those extremist racist bastards in the army trying to gang up and bully him.

Most here in the forum I would believe are chinese ed too, thats why we are miniorities right? But unlike FT who come here and enjoy the fruit we fucking plant - we babas, malays and indians never had the chance to constantly get to pick even the average fruits . Most chinese eds would not understand the plight we go through because they dont experience the problems. A good example would be the "CHINESE SPEAKING ONLY" hiring requirements in the recruit ads. You see them all the time. The govt elite wont stop this racist fuckers because they want to placate the majority vote. As a chinese ed - they might think its casual but, to us its serious - NO JOB NO MONEY NO FAMILY TO FEED.

The irony is that the elite are the top few english ed of all races controlling the chinese ed chinese - the majority race in singapore - status quo as in the middle income and preventing them from climbing to the elite social circle power. Hence, the jealousy and anger. They know they cant climb that high but have to completely overthrow them inorder to enjoy "proper status". Because example, Ah seng, if promoted to inner circle high crass power also cannot sing beatles songs with the english ed at high crass KTV. can you imagine the scenerio? lol.

Hence, we become the beating stick for this fucking jealousy.

Like I say its good that FTs are coming in. They may take our jobs at lower pay, but at least the racist abuse will be less focused on us.

And what's there to fear? If you are good most probably ppl will hire. If you are fuck up and used to rely on "culture cliques" then you only get what you deserve.

If you have good skills and can communicate well, good international employers will know how to use you. Those complaining the most are those ah beng, ah lian who relied on their "culture" networking and enjoyed the good times from the 80's till recently.

Look at sim lim sq ah bengs do they fuck talk england but still get decent salaries and keep their great electronic booming jobs. And compare their pork floss hair style to some of the shenton pork floss "execs" - any difference in appearance? can that be proffesional having cock hair style?!! It only goes to show that culture is very deep and business comes distant second.

globalisation and metropolitan way of life will finally kill this racist monster and make the job market fairer in the long run for all people.

These chinese ed have a mental fallacy even with the rule of law here that is conducted in England.

Go ask, many of these so called, got money Chinese ed who got convicted of wrong doing, even by thinking they can get lesser sentence with high powered lawya and ask them, when they read their own 'judgement spread sheet' what the judge has written and why they kenna such punishment,....do they fully understand the all gist..and all of them 'lek bo que'..

Read chinese papers all their lives and don't even know the land rule by peranakan ..:biggrin:..LOL

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
These chinese ed have a mental fallacy even with the rule of law here that is conducted in England.

Go ask, many of these so called, got money Chinese ed who got convicted of wrong doing, even by thinking they can get lesser sentence with high powered lawya and ask them, when they read their own 'judgement spread sheet' what the judge has written and why they kenna such punishment,....do they fully understand the all gist..and all of them 'lek bo que'..

Read chinese papers all their lives and don't even know the land rule by peranakan ..:biggrin:..LOL

:biggrin: Ah peck coffee shop or the construction tow kay also blur sotong. Make sure they end up in the same prison cell and dont mix with other race inmates.

Some Cheena here hypocritical too. They always have these huge fantasy crush on China to become economic power to fight ang mo and other race countries la BUT when the PRC come here they hate their low crass loud mouth style. :biggrin:

I think Cheena ppl (hua ren) are more lost in their heriatge than they think. Wo men xi zhong quo ren?! fuck you la. More like already going to be "Hua chiao" boat people or what fuck label.

Ang mo already split into so many different countries and languages.

If these Extreme Cheena so bitter, then go Fuck your ancestors wanting to come here then if you think China so great, dont fuck the babas, malays, indians, gragos (i almost forgot:biggrin:) and other minority races here who manage to integrate.:wink: fuck sake singapore has all along been immigrant country.

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahahaha. ROFL

jus read the PRC woman who's husband is taxi driver got wacked in Sultan KTV. This is called double whammy real life comedy.

First : I see cheena people wack cheena china girl and Second :I read cheena threaders having sympathy for cheena Husband and saying the china woman deserves the beating suggesting they are sluts.

But the point is why you go get China girl knowing they already have this fuck up reputation of being the worst money grabbing crass girls in the whole ASIA PACIFIC!!!!

One word : Hypocrisy.

wo men xi zhong guo ren! ROFL!

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
..............Looking back as an adult now. I find it strange that such is the way of life for minorities in singapore. When I was in the army, surely I was badly bullied and beaten. And like my Indian friend across the other company complained equally the same issues with these chinese ed I encountered. At that time and age, I thought I was the problem and I didn't even know about this Chinese Ed issue, let alone protected.

are you sure? from what you say here, you are a liar!:oIo:

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
are you sure? from what you say here, you are a liar!:oIo:

Put it this way, if i ever see these fuckers again outside. I will beat the shit out of them. That is promise. fucking cowards, only in a group they dare to pick on one guy. Anyway, the have been dealt with by the Board Of Investigation and all the KNN CCB kia invovled got what they deserve.

Stranger Cheena, whats your problem? If you want to find trouble, just send me a msg. whats all this posturing? oh, I forgot my england too powderful.

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh, ScoobyHo - Saw your SPITEFUL comments on Sumiko Tan. I knew you're the type - Cheena pretend to be pro CHINA but secretly like to fuck attas english ed girls but kena suan. Obigood!

Why do you bother about these "ang mo pai" pretty chinese mixed girls just because she cant speak chinese. cant get them isit. LOSER! Why bother gng in at all to comment if you dont like. why, sick of low crass ah lians isit? HYPOCRITE!

In your own lingo, EAT CANNOT PUTOH DONT FUCKING SAY ITS SOUR. I can easily date these girls and I can say they are classy and independent. More intelligent, and interesting as they are more aware of the international issues. U wanna get some? Dream on fucker.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really don't get this thread. There have been no Chinese schools for at least the last 30 years or so. Are you talking about those who took Chinese as a second language (almost the entire Chinese population) since then?

Btw, are you from the Chan family in Everitt Rd in Joo Chiat or some close relation?

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really don't get this thread. There have been no Chinese schools for at least the last 30 years or so. Are you talking about those who took Chinese as a second language (almost the entire Chinese population) since then?

Btw, are you from the Chan family in Everitt Rd in Joo Chiat or some close relation?

Hi littlefish, Chinese people not all are racist, jus like any other race there are tolerant n understanding type. If u don't get babas u can check our heritage. But I sure u do or else u wnt have info like chan family n their address. Even I don't know or bother abt chan family. To me it's about how a human being treat one another. I give equal feelings toward a bangala as well as cheena ppl. But if they nasty, equally I will defend my rights.

Perhaps, bcos u r a pure Chinese, u dnt ecounter assholes like scoobyhoo, bcos wen they my ppl like us, they will show their ugly racist side. I should talk to more minority race in Singapore to find out since u r curious to get a bigger picture.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps, bcos u r a pure Chinese, u dnt ecounter assholes like scoobyhoo, bcos wen they my ppl like us, they will show their ugly racist side. I should talk to more minority race in Singapore to find out since u r curious to get a bigger picture.

Based on my experience, the working environment is usually English-speaking. It is only when the Chinese are in a group by themselves or speaking to each other, then maybe they tend to use Mandarin (which I agree can be irritating since you can't participate when you have no idea what the conversation is about). This can be easily countered by learning some basic Mandarin. I see this as unavoidable if the majority of the population prefers to make small talk in the language they are comfortable with.

As far as I know, all my job interviews were conducted exclusively in English. Even when I was applying for some part-time jobs, I was never spoken to in Mandarin (maybe it was assumed since I listed Mandarin as a spoken language in the application form).

I do know other Chinese who are predominantly English-speaking only (don't know if they are Peranakan or not but they can't speak a sentence in Mandarin if their lives depended on it). For them, I didn't notice they were disadvantaged in any way in the work environment (the worst they get is a jibe about eating potatoes or jiak kan tang but it was meant as normal teasing among acquaintances).

Perhaps you can elaborate on the era (60s, 70s, 80s, etc) and what kind of companies you applied for jobs to (my guess would be SMEs where the staff strength is less than 100).

jojostar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on my experience, the working environment is usually English-speaking. It is only when the Chinese are in a group by themselves or speaking to each other, then maybe they tend to use Mandarin (which I agree can be irritating since you can't participate when you have no idea what the conversation is about). This can be easily countered by learning some basic Mandarin. I see this as unavoidable if the majority of the population prefers to make small talk in the language they are comfortable with.

As far as I know, all my job interviews were conducted exclusively in English. Even when I was applying for some part-time jobs, I was never spoken to in Mandarin (maybe it was assumed since I listed Mandarin as a spoken language in the application form).

I do know other Chinese who are predominantly English-speaking only (don't know if they are Peranakan or not but they can't speak a sentence in Mandarin if their lives depended on it). For them, I didn't notice they were disadvantaged in any way in the work environment (the worst they get is a jibe about eating potatoes or jiak kan tang but it was meant as normal teasing among acquaintances).

Perhaps you can elaborate on the era (60s, 70s, 80s, etc) and what kind of companies you applied for jobs to (my guess would be SMEs where the staff strength is less than 100).

my first job in Singapore early 90's was with a local firm. at lunch the locals would speak Chinese so couldn't participate just sat there and eat. once an indian girl joined us and unknown to the locals this girl understood basic chinese. she told me these Chinese guys were saying very racists things about her and about me in Chinese all the while smiling at us. she said that this is very typical and she just ignored it but felt she should tell me. after that i just started eating lunch on my own or working though lunch break.

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal

Firstly, what are you Littlefish. Chinese or English ed? Cos it seems you are portraying neutrality by the careful writings. I would guess you are chinese ed by the lay semantics or the lack of certain lingos we use.

To most babas, as long you dont prefer to converse in english socially and belt out chinese songs predominately, you are chinese ed.

It doesnt matter if you can speak just enough English with a straight poker face - us english ed minorities can tell the difference.

Just like the chinese ed chinese can smell our French fries from Hor-lan lud to katong.

With regards to work racism - One of the common denominator I found was what u actually sussed out - I worked mostly in SMEs. I notice theses places thrive on cultural cliques more than MNC professionalism. i think due to their lack of ability to speak well in English, and lets face it, most chinese cant speak well, they tend to react negatively if you do, to hide this handicap of a language so glorified in a country like singapore, they literally sneer at you or gang up and get you fired.

Interestingly the only place i actually thrive was, surprise, surprise, a govt stat board in the late 90's (i was in my late 20's) for 2 years I was working there.

In retrospect, the stat board i did encounter these racist cunts but the place was so big people tend to mind their own business. The biggest clique was a huge group of middle aged cheenas who still showed they didnt like me but because I hang out with a mix race of senior men in their 40 to 50s, mature, respectable and of higher rank, they didn't want to touch me.

Sadly I left bcos at that time, I was a diploma holder and once I got my degree of a different field, I had to leave. I wasnt offered an internal transfer and so my first mistake soon came in a form of a small ad agency....the biggest regret of my working life. If i could turn back the clock, I would have never left the stat board job. Then again I wouldnt have met my lovely girlfriend:biggrin:

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
my first job in Singapore early 90's was with a local firm. at lunch the locals would speak Chinese so couldn't participate just sat there and eat. once an indian girl joined us and unknown to the locals this girl understood basic chinese. she told me these Chinese guys were saying very racists things about her and about me in Chinese all the while smiling at us. she said that this is very typical and she just ignored it but felt she should tell me. after that i just started eating lunch on my own or working though lunch break.

HI jojostar, dont mind these chinese bastards, they are a dime a dozen. if you can aviod them avoid them. If your boss is also chinese speaking chinese, god luck. If you are a FT, good luck in keeping your job. Remember, to work hard and just be professional. Try to look out for an international MNC while you are working. Staying too long in a racist environment may make you go bonkers. It did that to me:mad::biggrin:

jojostar

Alfrescian
Loyal
HI jojostar, dont mind these chinese bastards, they are a dime a dozen. if you can aviod them avoid them. If your boss is also chinese speaking chinese, god luck. If you are a FT, good luck in keeping your job. Remember, to work hard and just be professional. Try to look out for an international MNC while you are working. Staying too long in a racist environment may make you go bonkers. It did that to me:mad::biggrin:

i left after a 2 years and went to work for an mnc and never looked back. would never work for a local Singapore firm again (but i have worked for Western MNC, Taiwanese, Japanese and Gulf Arab firms with no problem. With local firms because it seems people stay there forever and these little groups form that are more interested in politics than work - maybe because work performance didn't matter much as bonus and promotions are so difficult to get. of course not all local Chinese Singaporeans are like this but too many are. in the many years i worked in Singapore 10+ my best friends were Malaysian Chinese and Indians from Indian, only 2 or 3 Singaporean friends from work. My wife is a Penang Chinese.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Firstly, what are you Littlefish. Chinese or English ed? Cos it seems you are portraying neutrality by the careful writings. I would guess you are chinese ed by the lay semantics or the lack of certain lingos we use.

To most babas, as long you dont prefer to converse in english socially and belt out chinese songs predominately, you are chinese ed.

It doesnt matter if you can speak just enough English with a straight poker face - us english ed minorities can tell the difference.

Just like the chinese ed chinese can smell our French fries from Hor-lan lud to katong.

With regards to work racism - One of the common denominator I found was what u actually sussed out - I worked mostly in SMEs. I notice theses places thrive on cultural cliques more than MNC professionalism. i think due to their lack of ability to speak well in English, and lets face it, most chinese cant speak well, they tend to react negatively if you do, to hide this handicap of a language so glorified in a country like singapore, they literally sneer at you or gang up and get you fired.

Interestingly the only place i actually thrive was, surprise, surprise, a govt stat board in the late 90's (i was in my late 20's) for 2 years I was working there.

In retrospect, the stat board i did encounter these racist cunts but the place was so big people tend to mind their own business. The biggest clique was a huge group of middle aged cheenas who still showed they didnt like me but because I hang out with a mix race of senior men in their 40 to 50s, mature, respectable and of higher rank, they didn't want to touch me.

Sadly I left bcos at that time, I was a diploma holder and once I got my degree of a different field, I had to leave. I wasnt offered an internal transfer and so my first mistake soon came in a form of a small ad agency....the biggest regret of my working life. If i could turn back the clock, I would have never left the stat board job. Then again I wouldnt have met my lovely girlfriend:biggrin:

Sadly, although English is my first language, I belong to the Singlish generation.

I don't see how you can equate loving Chinese songs and preferring to use one's mother tongue (in my case, my dialect was replaced by Mandarin) during social gatherings to being Chinese educated. Unless you are a brutal dictator, you can't really force people to abandon what they feel most comfortable with. Personally, I can switch easily between using English and Mandarin and I usually just go along with whatever language I am being spoken to, that is, I do not try to change the conversation language on my own initiative (you may call it passive but I don't really have a preference of English/Mandarin during conversations). It is different when it comes to tv shows and songs though, I will admit that I am heavily biased towards Chinese-based ones as they are what I can identify with most.

It wasn't always the case. I used to hate Chinese to the core and did just enough to get a passing score. The turning point came when I was introduced to one of those kungfu novels by Louis Cha sometime during my late teens. Because of that, my view of Chinese changed dramatically and I began to see the beauty of the language and the cultural values transmitted along with that.

As I suspected, you probably faced some discrimination in those SMEs as the people employed by these companies usually aren't very comfortable using English. I do agree that job ads should not carry the terms "Mandarin speaking only" unless the role requires the candidate to deal with people mainly using Mandarin. This could be the case for SMEs if their suppliers and customers can't speak English well. Under British rule, the population was partitioned into their proper slots (i.e. Chinese, Malays, Indians, English speaking, Hokkien speaking, Cantonese speaking, etc) and come into contact with each other only when necessary. When Singapore became a nation, this issue of languages did not go away and it is not easy to solve. To the government's credit, I must say they did whatever they could (although I still think they went overboard in discouraging dialects) to ensure that there is a common ground among all. If you feel aggrieved, I think there were also many Chinese educated people who felt even more upset when their education was deemed by the government as of lower value. The "Speak Mandarin" campaign was not aimed at raising the status of the Chinese educated, it was targeted at eradicating the use of dialects.

You were probably just trapped by circumstances not within anyone's control. With the current generation, I don't see this as a serious issue as they would all be using Singlish (although for social functions, it would still be inevitable for different races to stick mostly with their own kind). :smile:

But with the recent influx of immigrants, I am not sure how this language issue is going to pan out. I sense Tamil is already being sidelined by Hindi if I am not wrong.

Contrary to what LKY said, I think being proficient in just one language would be unwise in SG's context. If you intend to migrate to a country where only one language is predominant, then that is fine but in SG, knowing more than one language will always provide a very significant difference to your life. This is because SG is heavily dependent on the external environment.