• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China's Age of Invention

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
China's Age of Invention

The Rainbow Bridge built in the NOVA program "China Bridge" is just one of many important inventions that appeared during China's impressive Song Dynasty (A.D. 960-1280). This vibrant period in Chinese history was marked by economic prosperity and remarkable technological innovation. Read on to find out what China expert Robin D. S. Yates, Professor of History and East Asian Studies at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada has to say about this exceptional era - and how it influenced the course of world history.

<CENTER><HR width=100></CENTER>
NOVA: Let's begin by providing a worldwide context for the Song Dynasty. In 1271, the Italian merchant Marco Polo is believed to have visited China. What was his impression of this very different world?

Yates: Well, there's a debate as to whether Marco Polo ever did, in fact, visit China. However, assuming Polo's account is real, what comes across most obviously is that he was utterly astonished at the size of the cities and the extent of commercial activity in China. The number of ships on Chinese canals and rivers far exceeded what Polo was familiar with in the cities of Italy, such as Venice or Genoa.

The Chinese had a very cultured and civilized society. Song Dynasty silks, for example, were remarkably advanced. The Chinese were using very sophisticated looms with up to 1,800 moving parts. China was simply far more developed technologically and culturally than any state in the West.

But one wonders whether Polo had actually visited, because of the things that he doesn't write about at all. He doesn't mention paper money and the bank note, which were both invented during the Song Dynasty. You would have thought that if he'd lived there for 20 years, he might have noticed it, because Western Europe didn't have it.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=250>
food.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva]Chinese invented restaurants to serve traveling officials and merchants. [/FONT]<HR></TD><TD width=10>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>NOVA: What are some of the things that made these large, bustling Chinese cities unique in their time?

Yates: There is a strong connection between the increasing urbanization and the burgeoning commercialization of Chinese culture at this time. Merchants traveled from one place to another, and a new group of scholar-officials was appointed to administer the country. The traveling merchants and officials wanted to eat the cuisine that they were used to in their local region. And people with some extra wealth in the urban centers also wanted to try food from different regions. So what developed was a new urban type of culture that included eating out in restaurants and the drinking of tea.

It was really in the Song Dynasty that tea reached its cult status. It was drunk out of very beautiful, extraordinarily exquisite tea bowls made from porcelain, one of the glories of the Song Dynasty. The word "china" is appropriate for porcelain, because the Chinese developed the technology for its production. The Song Dynasty ceramic industry was basically the first commercialized industry. They produced the pieces in mass quantities for the imperial palace, but also for this newly arisen class of scholar-officials and an urban elite and for these restaurants. Eventually, two of the main products the West wanted in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries were porcelain and tea, so much of the trade between East and West was based on those items.

With restaurants, common folk could eat out very, very cheaply on food such as fried noodles, which, it is said, Marco Polo introduced to the West. Although there's a lot of debate about that, the idea of spaghetti probably comes from China at about the time of the Song, possibly carried across the ocean by Arab traders, who are known to have established themselves in ports such as Canton by the ninth century.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>

</TD><TD width=250>
fireworks.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva]Gunpowder was used in Chinese rocket launchers to shoot fireworks - and weapons of war. [/FONT]<HR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>NOVA: Tea and restaurants are certainly two important gifts the Song people gave to the world. What were some of the other Chinese inventions of this period that had a profound influence on the course of civilization?

Yates: Gunpowder completely transformed the way wars were waged and contributed to the eventual establishment of might over right. In my own research, I have been able to refute the common notion that the Chinese invented gunpowder but only used it for fireworks. I'm sure that they discovered military uses for it. I have found the earliest illustration of a cannon in the world, which dates from the change-over from the Northern Song to the Southern Song around 1127, which was 150 years before the development of the cannon in the West. The Song also used gunpowder to make fire lances - actually flame throwers - and many other gunpowder weapons, such as anti-personnel mines, which are thankfully now being taken out of general use.

Needless to say, the cannon was used by the kings of Europe to fundamentally alter the social structure of the European world. It enabled kings to destroy the castles of the feudal lords. And it enabled, therefore, the centralized nation-state to develop.

By the end of the Song Dynasty, the Chinese invented multiple-stage rockets. If we hadn't had that, maybe we would not have been able to put a man on the moon. It was that fundamental an idea. Joseph Needham, an historian of Chinese science and technology, also argues that the notion of an explosion in a self-contained cylinder also permitted the development of the internal combustion engine and the steam engine. Our basic modes of transportation would not have been possible without this Chinese invention.

NOVA: How did the Chinese invention of gunpowder move from East to West?

Yates: Although scholars often consider the Song Dynasty to have been very weak, its use of gunpowder was the reason it was able to hold off the Mongols for many decades. Eventually, the Mongols were able to capture Chinese artisans and use the latest gunpowder technology against the Chinese. The Mongols used those people who had a special knowledge of technology and employed them in their own armies as engineers. They carried that technology to the West very rapidly because it was very helpful in their conquests.

What was interesting with this transfer of technology is that it goes both ways. After the introduction of the cannon and gunpowder to the West, Westerners very quickly became expert with cannons. They cast bronze cannons that were eventually much better than those the Chinese could produce. The Western bronze cannon was then brought back to China by the Jesuits in the 16th and 17th centuries. The Ming Dynasty, which fought the Manchus, employed Jesuit priests to cast cannons that were more advanced than the Chinese had at that time.

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=250>
paper.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva]The development of printing enabled Chinese officials to distribute important documents. [/FONT]<HR></TD><TD width=10>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>NOVA: You've made a strong case for the impact of gunpowder all over the world. But were there major non-military inventions during the Song Dynasty that had an impact worldwide?

Yates: Printing and movable type were certainly two of them. Printing was actually invented by the Buddhists in the eighth century for dissemination of religious images and texts. But in the Song Dynasty, the government promoted the publication of the Confucian texts called "The Canons." These texts had to be studied by examination candidates. Once you passed the examinations you were eligible to become an official. So many copies of the Confucian texts were published at this time. In addition, the government popularized the use of printing for the dissemination of technical manuals, such as agricultural manuals and works on medicine. Eventually, private printing presses started, which fundamentally altered the world of letters and dissemination of knowledge.

In the 11th century, a famous literary artist by the name of Shen Gua records the invention of movable-type printing by a man by the name of Bi Sheng. It was this invention that was eventually taken over to the West and used by Gutenberg for the printing of the Bible. Needless to say, this had a profound effect on the nature of knowledge and the development of literature. So this is probably the number-one invention of the Song Dynasty.

NOVA: Did the development of printing change China the way it would change Europe?

Yates: The effect of printing was different in East and West because of the nature of the Chinese language. The Chinese language, when it is written, uses characters or graphs, sort of like ideograms. It is not an alphabet like we know it. As a consequence, there are literally thousands of Chinese characters. Obviously for most types of writing, you don't need the 48,000 different Chinese characters. You only need to use 3,000 to 10,000, something like that.

Movable-type printing was more practical, with a very limited number of symbols, such as the letters used in European alphabetic languages. In Chinese writing, you had to have a very large number of characters, each individually carved to set in the press. So even though they invented movable type, it actually was never as useful as wood-block printing—carving the blocks of each page separately and independently. So that was the reason why there were some books printed using movable type, but it never really replaced wood-block printing in the way it did in the West.

NOVA: Was movable type another example of technology moving from East to West, or was it an example of an innovation developing in the East and West simultaneously?

Yates: It's very unclear, but it does appear that there was a transfer from East to West. The Mongol invaders of China were able to use their highly developed organization and cavalry to conquer all of Central Asia, including parts of India, the Middle East, and Europe. So the invention was probably transferred to the West as a result of the opening up of the trade routes and the lines of communication established by the Mongols. I'm not saying that Gutenberg actually had access to a Chinese press; that's highly unlikely. Rather, he probably got wind of the idea of printing through some unknown and lost source. It's rather ironic that Gutenberg was recently voted the man of the millennium, when it was the Chinese who actually invented the technology.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The problem with the Chinese is that they haven't invented anything of importance since.

It isn't good to live in the past. In order to be successful, it is necessary to live in the present and look towards the future.

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with the Chinese is that they haven't invented anything of importance since.

It isn't good to live in the past. In order to be successful, it is necessary to live in the present and look towards the future.

It's not about living in the past. I was told that the Chinese has a civilisation that had lasted 5,000 years and it is the only civilisation that is still in existence and intact and the Chinese are not finished yet.

Predominantly, the Chinese are 98% Hans and 2% minority races. The Hans is a race by itself and not a dialect. It is a distinct race in the human species.

The Indians, while it is a big country, has many dialects and there are no distinct race. In fact, there is no such a thing as an Indian civilisation, for there is none. Present day India is a colonial mistake, as India was, is and never will be a single entity which the British insists to be called India.

The Chinese as a race and civilisation will surpass this millenium and exist for another 1,000 years, if the human race does not kill itself by then.

There are many ancient customs which are still in existence in present day China and as China modernises, it is a challenge to keep the culture instact. Can you believe it when the Chinese written language is older than the Roman's or Greek's written language and it is still as new as when it was first used centuries ago?

While the Chinese written language is rather cumbersome, the fact that it is still in existence shows that the Chinese as a race and culture is not easily discarded into oblivion. Deal with it for the Chinese are here to stay, whether the rest like it or not. :smile:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Deal with it for the Chinese are here to stay, whether the rest like it or not. :smile:

I have no doubts that they are here to stay. After all, there are more than a billion of them out there.

However, the problem with the Chinese is that they have been overrun so often by nations much smaller than they are. This has caused them to develop a huge inferiority complex.

Decisions made and actions taken in response to an inferiority complex are never logical or sound. The recent olympics is a good example. The Chinese treated the Beijing Olympics as something of a phallic symbol rather than a sporting event. It had to be bigger, better, brighter and the most expensive ever. At the same time, they displayed subservience to the West in many ways.

Take the issue of the West's criticism of Beijing's pollution as an example. The Chinese should simply have told the world... "This is China. Our air is dirty because we are spending heaps on infrastructure. Take it or leave it!"

Instead, they literally shut down economic activity at great expense to their own citizens in order to kowtow to the demands of the West.

It's a pity they didn't show a bit of backbone.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many fractions within the vast china political and govt organisation. By hosting the olympics , the green movement gain the upper hand in pushing for enviromental friendly policies. By hosting the youth olympics , Sg anti NS movement may emerge to end NS slavery explotation of hapless youths.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
There are many fractions within the vast china political and govt organisation. By hosting the olympics , the green movement gain the upper hand in pushing for enviromental friendly policies. By hosting the youth olympics , Sg anti NS movement may emerge to end NS slavery explotation of hapless youths.

Once all this Olympics bullshit is over, China will be back to its usual filthy ways.

So much for the green movement!:rolleyes:

If you expect a nation that worships money and nothing else to go green, you're dreaming!:p

GoldenBellShield

Alfrescian
Loyal
I read that during the Nanking Massacre in 1937, even though the Chinese soldiers outnumbered the Japanese ones greatly, they chose to surrender rather than fight. Their officers have escaped. They dropped their arms, found scraps of white clothes, tied them to twigs and waited for the Japanese to come.

The Japanese, due to absense of food to feed so many POWs, rounded them up to be shot, bayoneted, and beheaded.

Chinese history has been an embaressment between the last days of the Qing dynasty till the late 1970s from what I know.

I confess that I bear a certain amount of biase-ness towards the Chinese citizens in Singapore. It took a visit to Japan for me to sit up to want to know about about the Chinese. I did myself a favour and started reading up.

I also tried to open up, and treat the Chinese nationals in Singapore like how I will treat a fellow Singaporean. I am suprised that when I chose to open up, these people are just like us. The lady who serviced my laptop at Funan Center last evening was patient and expressed no signs of impatience even though I made her redo what she was doing 3 times. When the job was finally completed, I thanked her and asked if she wanted me to pay an extra service charge. "Just recommend your friends if you like our service. It's our job make sure our customers are satisfied.", she said in Mandarin.

Yes, it arised from the sympathy I felt after learning about the hardships that they went through for the last century. But when I chose to open up and welcome them like one of us, it wasn't that bad.

I know many here will disagree with me. But really, I am just taking a small step to open myself to the group of people who sheds the same blood as myself and see what unfolds. Let's see what happen.

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no doubts that they are here to stay. After all, there are more than a billion of them out there.

It's a pity they didn't show a bit of backbone.

Boss, when I read your post, I do share your feelings. However, as a race, I would like to say that Hans as a race is the only race that had lived and survived intact after so many milleniums. The Egyptians are gone. The Aztecs, the Sumerians, the Romans, the Aryans, the lost civilisations of the Incas, etc are all lost to history.

On a more subjective note, I like to share with you what most of the Chinese call themselves. Most of the Chinese call themselves as people of Tang. Some call themselves people of Han. These are the two greatest dynasties that China ever had. The other great dynasties which the people of China identify with are the Song and the Ming, but it still is not as widely accepted as identifying with the Tang or the Han dynasties.

Ask any Chinese and you will get them to say they are Tang people or Han people. Only in modern times, the Chinese identify themselves as Hwa ren, which means "Chinese people".

The Olympics is a global event. Some hosts had sucked big time hosting the Olympics. While we all know that China was using the Olympics as a coming out party, don't we appreciate the fact that China tried hard and furious to show the rest of the world what it will undertake to make the games a success, knowing that the rest of the world would fault it for the thinniest of its faults?

While you consider it a pity for China not having a backbone, I consider it a resilience and pride of China. It can easily say that "Well, take it or leave it. This is China" but it had to try harder than this and it knows that. I do not see anything wrong with trying your best to please the world. This is what we had been asking of our own leaders and our world leaders. Finally, the meek shall rule the world.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While the Chinese written language is rather cumbersome, the fact that it is still in existence shows that the Chinese as a race and culture is not easily discarded into oblivion. Deal with it for the Chinese are here to stay, whether the rest like it or not. :smile:

Chinese characters marked their first appearances during the Huangdi era (circa 2500BC). The first collection of characters were invented for the purposes of denoting elements, marking directions, symbols for clan and personal names, and numerals for counting and measurements. Chinese characters then weren't even meant to denote speech or language.

By the Shang dynasty era (circa 1600BC), more characters were designed for more religious rituals and royal ceremonies. It was by the Zhou dynasty era (circa 1000BC) that Chinese characters had become developed into a full-fledged writing system for the Chinese language. It was then when the age of Chinese literature and poetry dawned.

With the Zhou dynasty being made up of independent feudal states, later evolving into warring states, Chinese characters had many differences in styles and designs (just like the modern day differences between PRC Simplified and ROC Traditional set of characters). It was after the unified empire under the Qin dynasty (221-206BC) that Chinese characters were standardized across the China. Therefore, what's presently known as Hanzi should be rightfully known as Qinzi.

By the Tang dynasty era (AD618-907), the neighboring countries of Korea, Japan and Vietnam were all using Chinese characters as their writing systems. In later years towards the modern era, based on Chinese character calligraphic principles, Korea and Japan developed their own sets of Hangul and Kana respectively. Vietnam, after being colonized by the French, simply converted to the Roman alphabet, just like Malaysia had converted from Jawi (Arab-based) to the Roman alphabet.

The Korean Hangul (being an alphabet set) was designed to be used entirely without Chinese characters. The Japanese Kana (being a syllabary set) was designed to be used alongside Chinese characters. Therefore today, Japanese is the only non-Chinese language still using Chinese characters as an integral part of its writing system.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese history has been an embaressment between the last days of the Qing dynasty till the late 1970s from what I know.
==========

The smartest people are also the ones most easily exploited. The conterpart to the chinese are the jews and you know what happen to them. It is like smart people become so specialise , they become only brains and lost their arms and legs.

GoldenBellShield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese characters proved that you don't need grammers to be understood.

I learnt the Japanese language for 2 years and felt that it was unnecessarily complex. Two sets of 52 "alphabets", the hiragana for themselves and the katakana for pronouncing anything foreign, grammer for being polite, being casual, and in business environments. And there there is the kanji (that could have easily been replaced with hiragana). Worst, kanji that pronounced differently depending on how you used it.

Loongsam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chinese characters marked their first appearances during the Huangdi era (circa 2500BC). ............ Therefore today, Japanese is the only non-Chinese language still using Chinese characters as an integral part of its writing system.

Really, what is amazing and defies common logic is how China, with it huge geographical land mass, huge population and over a vast time-span of a few thousands of years, maintain a common written language that is logograms in nature, whereby hundreds of thousands of dialects exist in China, yet one written Chinese language. Amazing, isn't it?

Extract from: http://chineseculture.about.com/cs/language/a/dialects.htm

There are many Chinese dialects in China. It is hard to guess how many dialects exist, but they can be roughly classified into one of the seven large groups, i.e., Putonghua (Mandarin), Gan, Kejia (Hakka), Min, Wu, Xiang and Yue (Cantonese). Each language group contains a large number of dialects. These are the Chinese languages spoken mostly by the Han people, which represents about 92 percent of the total population. We will not get into the non-Chinese languages spoken by the minorities here, such as Tibetan, Mongolian and Miao.

The dialects from the seven groups are quite different. For example, a Mandarin speaker in northern China usually understands little Cantonese, but a non-Mandarin speaker usually can speak some Mandarin with a strong accent. This is largely because Mandarin has been the official national language since 1913. Mandarin or Putonghua is mainly based on the Beijing dialect. Despite the large differences among Chinese dialects, there is one thing in common for them -- they all share the same writing system based on Chinese characters. A distinguishing feature of the Chinese languages is tonal. Mandarin has four tones and Cantonese has more than four tones.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chinese characters proved that you don't need grammers to be understood.

I learnt the Japanese language for 2 years and felt that it was unnecessarily complex. Two sets of 52 "alphabets", the hiragana for themselves and the katakana for pronouncing anything foreign, grammer for being polite, being casual, and in business environments. And there there is the kanji (that could have easily been replaced with hiragana). Worst, kanji that pronounced differently depending on how you used it.

That's why, despite heavy usage of Chinese characters and Chinese loanwords, Japanese as a spoken language has never been remotely close to Chinese. It sounds more Turkish than Chinese.

Japanese has present tense, past tense, continuous tense, active and passive inflections etc. like English. Chinese doesn't. It simply uses descriptives or qualifiers instead of inflections.

However, writing a Japanese essay fully in Kana would be like writing Chinese fully in Pinyin. Most likely ranging from inconvenient readability to simply incomprensible to even native speakers.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Really, what is amazing and defies common logic is how China, with it huge geographical land mass, huge population and over a vast time-span of a few thousands of years, maintain a common written language that is logograms in nature, whereby hundreds of thousands of dialects exist in China, yet one written Chinese language. Amazing, isn't it?

It doesn't defy logic. On the contrary, it's logical.

Dialects like Cantonese and Hokkien orally differ very much from Beijing Mandarin. Just like modern Italian, French, Spanish, Portugese etc. differ very much from their original root language of Latin. However, as Cantonese and Hokkien are still written in the same Chinese characters, Italian, French, Spanish, Portugese developed different words with spelling within the Latin alphabet. The French way of pronunciation evolved so differently that it has to use diacritical marks. Their written words become incomprehensible to each other, while Chinese written words are comprehensible to all dialects. That's the unifying factor of the Chinese characters in Chinese history.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the confucianism has made China weak.

Japan and Korea are quite strong. They're rooted in Confucianism too. It was China that got itself uprooted from Confucianism through the Cultural Revolution. It was only after the Mao Zedong died and Deng Xiaoping took over that China began scrambling to find back its Confucianism roots. That's why even overseas Chinese (like Singaporeans) can feel that the past two generations of PRCs are so different from what's expected from traditional Chineseness. Our grandparents or great grandparents came from China too, but they're nothing like the post-Cultural Revolution PRC Chinese we see today. Even North American, European or Australian Chinatowns oversea Chinese are more Chinese to us.

Last edited: