• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Cantonese-speaking cop stops Chinatown thief

EyeToEye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Off-duty detective hears ‘Robbery!’ in Cantonese and rushes to stop Chinatown jewellery thief

Detective Patrick Lee was on his way to work when he heard a commotion at a Canal St. diamond store and came to the rescue, police say.

BY THOMAS TRACY / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

PUBLISHED: WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2013, 11:54 AM
UPDATED: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2013, 1:45 AM

canal12n-2-web.jpg

Detective Patrick Lee was on his way to work when he heard a witness scream, 'Robbery!' in his parents' native tongue.

In any language, the message is “you’re busted.”

A Manhattan detective fluent in Cantonese thwarted a high-stakes jewelry heist Tuesday when he heard a witness scream, “Robbery! Robbery!” in his parents’ native tongue, officials said.

Detective Patrick Lee was on his way to work and had just parked his car on Canal St. near Elizabeth St. in Chinatown about 4:15 p.m. when he saw a commotion in front of Canal Diamonds International, police said.

“I was almost past the store when I heard, ‘Dageep! Dageep!’ numerous times,” said Lee. “That’s Cantonese for ‘robbery.’ Several employees started running out of the store — that’s universal for something’s wrong.”

The NYPD veteran ran into the jewelry store and spotted a 25-year-old man leaning over a jewelry display case.

canal12n-1-web.jpg

The 25-year-old thief had a.40-caliber Glock pistol in one hand and 18 gold chains in the other, NYPD says.

The thief had a .40-caliber Glock pistol in one hand and 18 gold chains in the other, Lee said.

“When he turned to face me, I said, ‘Police, don’t move,’ and ordered him to drop the weapon,” said Lee. “It took three commands, but thank God he did. He dropped the weapon and laid down belly-first on the floor.”

Lee arrested the thief — identified as Eduardo Olmedo — without incident.

Witnesses later told Lee that Olmedo came in pretending to be shopping for a bracelet. When a worker went to help him, he pulled a gun from his waistband. He was charged with robbery and criminal possession of a weapon, officials said.

Lee said he was born and raised in the Bronx, but learned Cantonese from his immigrant parents.

“Over the years, I picked it up,” he said. “New York City is a melting pot.”