• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

canto soap operas vs tcs serials

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
just becos he doesn't understand a witty cantonese lines from such interesting serial and everyone has to be deprived of that rights to enjoy it.

when you watch/play Korean/japanese movies/video games, do you insist in original language?

when we do business with china, certain area like fujian, or guangzhou, hokkien or cantonese is mainly spoken there. beijing and shanghai mandarin are also quite different, so how far can singlish MANDARIN take us?

When doing business in HK, Taiwan, China, do business.. you are not there to teach/tutor Mandarin. Just like dealing with Angmoh, our Singlish has been reasonably Ok to get the deals done for the last 30 -40 years.

it makes us like counterfeit taiwanese which we are not. as for pure mandarin speaking chinese, we look a bit off tangent cos we are not communists china.

There is nothing wrong to use simple and easy, singapore-tinted mandarin to communicate, you are trying too hard to impress others with your language. trust me, our Hokkian/cantonese and other dialects are not up to the standards too

WHY CAN'T WE JUST BE PROUD OF WHAT WE ARE WITH OUR OWN UNIQUE CULTURE AND LANGUAGES OR DIALECTS? we should be proud about speaking SINGLISH cos that make us different from other country nationals.

promoting Singlish is a waste of our time and future. We all go to school to equip ourselves with useful knowledge, so that we can sell our products/services to the world. As a small country/market, It is our destiny to have good language skills to survive and prosper.

it distinguishes our uniqueness and we should be very proud of it and not ashamed of. we should be ashamed of ourselves when we try to fake something that is totally unnatural to singaporean for which our old goat in spaceship can never understand. he cannot speak hakka and that's something he should really be ashamed of.
[/QUOTE]

there is a local canto saying:

kin kwai, kong kwai wah; kin yan; kong yan wah

translated, means:

see a ghost, speak ghost language; see human; talk human language...

which can be discerned as u see an ang mo, involuntarily, we speak english; we see a chinaman; again, involuntarily, we speak mandarin. nobody needs to teach us when to select our "dual/multi sound" in-built system.:smile:

when watching korean or other foreign films for that matter, i like watching it in its original flavour. there is the english/mandarin subtitles which i can read and understand what's all the talking about.:wink:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
then dun watch those mediacorpse crap!!!!...time to off your tv and on your comp and d/l the latest hongkee series and movies off the net..

seriously and realistically...are we really going to reach out to 1.3bil chinese just becos we speak mandarin?? even those prc as studying other foreign languages cos they know now that the world does not revolt around them...

sometime not meeting those chinaman especially their prc mei mei is more of a blessing. u thinking about making money from them, they also thinking of swindling more money from you.

a very good example would be the over-hyped SU ZHOU IND. PARK. how many locals were conned there.....it's just to embarrassing to reveal the actual details.:rolleyes:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the simple truth about dialect & mandarin is:

another dialect learned is another useful mode of communication.

why does the old spaceship goat cannot get that into his osteoporosised skull? didn't he once use HOKKIEN to put across his points or has he fully forgotten or embarrassed about his own dialect roots?

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometime not meeting those chinaman especially their prc mei mei is more of a blessing. u thinking about making money from them, they also thinking of swindling more money from you.
Prc meis...the only thing i want them to suck out of me is my cum..:p:p

a very good example would be the over-hyped SU ZHOU IND. PARK. how many locals were conned there.....it's just to embarrassing to reveal the actual details.:rolleyes:
well our gov got conned and they have to get something back by conning our locals over ... up till now they refuse to admit that it was a failure...

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal

there is a local canto saying:

kin kwai, .....

when watching korean or other foreign films for that matter, i like watching it in its original flavour. there is the english / mandarin subtitles which i can read and understand what's all the talking about.:wink:[/QUOTE]

Fully agreed.

Take "Dae Jang Geum" (大长今 Jewel In The Palace) for example. There are two versions available in the local channel: the original Korean language and the dubbed-in-Mandarin version.

When it is watched in the original Korean version, the feeling is totally different. It is so real and full of original flavour.

One need not understand the Korean language in order to enjoy the drama serial. You can understand the show by reading the English / Chinese subtitles.

However, when it is watched in the dubbed-in-Mandarin version. It is totally tasteless.

Incidentally, to a person who understand only Chinese and English, the Korean language is as good as another dialect.

Luckily those nincompoop did not realise this. That had given us a chance to enjoy the show in its original form.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
another classic which i find it very enjoyable was RAMAYANA which was a hindu classic once shown in black n white and in tamil. it was story about good vs bad and how good triumphed over bad. one very distinct character inside this story was HANUMAN, or the hindu version monkey god.

if u had seen this story and visited cambodia's ANGKOR WAT, u realise how that hindu culture is also present in that country during its ancient era of power and wealth.

the point i m trying to put across is i don't even ve to understand tamil to enjoy and understand the story and it applies vice-versa: other races do not need really to read or speak mandarin to understand a good chinese serial. LITTLE NYONYA is a good example.