• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

canto soap operas vs tcs serials

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the gov should just run their bureucracy. when it comes to culture, languages and traditionals which are things close at hearts with citizens, they should try and leave that alone.

burning incense during 7th mth is really bad. why don't the gov stop and prohibit that?

maybe they should even probit wayang operas which is in dialects. why don't they dare?

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tot I could have plenty of those 原汁原味 "Man In The Net" type of Cantonese drama serials in cabled TV when I subscribed to it.

Later I found out that even in the paid tv channels, dialect programmes are curtailed.

That was the reason why I ceased the subscription few years back.

not true. ch48 on starhub, for instance, beams programmes from HK TVB. granted, the serials they show are not the latest from HK, but still nothing is curtailed. ditto the taiwanese channels, I think there's one hokkien channel now showing exclusively hokkien dramas from taiwan.

if all else fails, there's always the net you can turn to to download the shows you wanna watch.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
not true. ch48 on starhub, for instance, beams programmes from HK TVB. granted, the serials they show are not the latest from HK, but still nothing is curtailed. ditto the taiwanese channels, I think there's one hokkien channel now showing exclusively hokkien dramas from taiwan.

if all else fails, there's always the net you can turn to to download the shows you wanna watch.

actually we do not have time for all those, it's the elders who are kept glued to those serials. if it's in dialect, they would easily understood it. didn't many singaporeans also picked up the very colorful "qi sin" or the canto word for "crazy"? this was popularised by the late cheong yin from the serial THE CHAMELEON.

the older generation like us gotta enjoy it but why then the young are now being deprived of that wholesome enjoyment?:confused:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha uncle you're right la. among us 'youngsters', i think i'm the only one who knows who is and watches 豬哥亮.

豬哥亮 runs road liao. his daughter is pretty chio though and nothing like his ugly hokkien comical father who's jokes are really classic XXX in gentlemanly manner.:biggrin:

tinyplanet

Alfrescian
Loyal
No matter how solid is our local production, such as The Little Nyonya, still NO FIGHT with HK drama, esp this following one ...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/__JE2wf95lY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/__JE2wf95lY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
because of one man, who thinks, he know it all.

these are little endearment that glue citizens together - the uniqueness of dialects and not MANDARIN. those who are not educated, what's mandarin or even english to them?

we are born of our individual dialect group which consists of individual rich culture and tradition behind it. our spaceship old goat doesn't know how to appreciate or endear it, doesn't mean we must be forced to be like him and trash our dialect root.

how would one say HUAT KUEH in mandarin? FA KAO....it sounds like canto of FXXK U! now that's funny isn't it? if there's misunderstanding in communicating, there would be misunderstand in whichever language or dialect used.

the old spaceship goat simply still half way in space and not landed to the ground yet. when he's landed, he could be overlanded, i.e., beneath ground level.:p

he should have used his limited time to pass on the virtues of HAKKA , a dialect which belongs to a special group of chinese who are famed for their resilient and endurance to times.

infact, instead of SPEAK MANDARIN, we should be teaching our children how to appreciate their dialect group and well-informed about the beauty and marvel of each of the dialects.

SPEAK MANDARIN is simply a waste of time and resources. it does make our gov looks stupid. after so many years, they are still wasting time at it.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
No matter how solid is our local production, such as The Little Nyonya, still NO FIGHT with HK drama, esp this following one ...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/__JE2wf95lY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/__JE2wf95lY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

it's more realistic when the dialogue is in canto cos it's easier to express it more authentically. LITTLE NYNOYA is just a new gimmick in which baba & nyonya does not get much exposure until now.

have we ever asked WHY? why do they waited until now then they are put in the openness?

the answer: every dialect, PERANAKAN included, wants to learn more about their origin and their roots. we want to be proud about it and not ashamed to continue glorify it.

what the old spaceship goat is trying to do now is to compel us to trash it, bury it and hopefully forget it to become pseudo-MANDARIN cheena. doesn't that make as inferior as a hokkien singaporean or a cantonese singaporean or even a hakka singaporean?

SPEAK MANDARIN campaign is destined to fail. we are more deep rooted to our dialect origin then the old man could think to trash dialect out of our roots.

most can already speak mandarin. what is he expecting more about? it's time he returns us our rights to dialect origin.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
these are little endearment that glue citizens together - the uniqueness of dialects and not MANDARIN. those who are not educated, what's mandarin or even english to them?

we are born of our individual dialect group which consists of individual rich culture and tradition behind it. our spaceship old goat doesn't know how to appreciate or endear it, doesn't mean we must be forced to be like him and trash our dialect root.

how would one say HUAT KUEH in mandarin? FA KAO....it sounds like canto of FXXK U! now that's funny isn't it? if there's misunderstanding in communicating, there would be misunderstand in whichever language or dialect used.

the old spaceship goat simply still half way in space and not landed to the ground yet. when he's landed, he could be overlanded, i.e., beneath ground level.:p

he should have used his limited time to pass on the virtues of HAKKA , a dialect which belongs to a special group of chinese who are famed for their resilient and endurance to times.

infact, instead of SPEAK MANDARIN, we should be teaching our children how to appreciate their dialect group and well-informed about the beauty and marvel of each of the dialects.

SPEAK MANDARIN is simply a waste of time and resources. it does make our gov looks stupid. after so many years, they are still wasting time at it.

Speak mandarin a waste of time? So what do u suggest then? Cantonese as the language for Chinese to communicate with each other different dialect group??

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speak mandarin a waste of time? So what do u suggest then? Cantonese as the language for Chinese to communicate with each other different dialect group??

leave everything that is endeared to peasants alone. if we wanna speak hokkien, canto, hakka teochew or whatever, let us have our freedom to do so. DO NOT IMPOSE ridicules like dubbing all canto, hokkien serials into mandarin and deprived us of the entertainment.

if couples wanna have 2 children, 1 child, a dozen or none, leave that to the couples. the old goat in spaceship hasn't learnt about his terrible sin whan he decreed STOP AT 2 ...or else!

there are so many things which should have been left alone but were ruthlessly being destroyed. things like our endeared trademark buildings, special locality like bugis street, chinatown....etc...all destroyed.

if there's nothing more to endear to citizens, the only thing left for most is to immigrate as there isn't anything worth residing in thsi place any longer.

tourists don't come for what they can see better at home. they come here hoping to have a taste of our "endearments".....and languages/dialects are one of them that separate us from another taiwanese city or china provinces.

now u understand what's the meaning of tai kong lao yang meh meh or spaceship old goat? :biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rather than say the Mandarin is also a dialect, I see Cantonese, Hokkien, Teochew, etc. as being also languages. Sure they share the same script as Mandarin but the syntax, lexicon and grammar are sufficiently different for them not to be just dialects.

I'm not saying 'junk' Mandarin but would humbly ask LKY not to put down the other Chinese languages.

Starsux..forgot to tell you that Mandarin is also a dialect, and they are showing many dialects programs..like MANDARIN!!:biggrin:

That is why I too had stop subscribing to Starsux cable...not only you get repetitive stuffs....they are not honest!:mad:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
leave everything that is endeared to peasants alone. if we wanna speak hokkien, canto, hakka teochew or whatever, let us have our freedom to do so. DO NOT IMPOSE ridicules like dubbing all canto, hokkien serials into mandarin and deprived us of the entertainment.

if couples wanna have 2 children, 1 child, a dozen or none, leave that to the couples. the old goat in spaceship hasn't learnt about his terrible sin whan he decreed STOP AT 2 ...or else!

there are so many things which should have been left alone but were ruthlessly being destroyed. things like our endeared trademark buildings, special locality like bugis street, chinatown....etc...all destroyed.

if there's nothing more to endear to citizens, the only thing left for most is to immigrate as there isn't anything worth residing in thsi place any longer.

tourists don't come for what they can see better at home. they come here hoping to have a taste of our "endearments".....and languages/dialects are one of them that separate us from another taiwanese city or china provinces.

now u understand what's the meaning of tai kong lao yang meh meh or spaceship old goat? :biggrin:

never did i suggest to do away dialect. all i am saying is that u wanna bash PAP govt for eradicate dialect, by all means. i am all for it. but there's no reason to bash mandarin. because mandarin is useful for the chinese to communicate with different dialect group.

i hope u understand wat i am trying to say.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
the old spaceship goat is due for handling passport. but before he goes, he must still leave some evil legacy that give a bad aftertaste:mad:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
never did i suggest to do away dialect. all i am saying is that u wanna bash PAP govt for eradicate dialect, by all means. i am all for it. but there's no reason to bash mandarin. because mandarin is useful for the chinese to communicate with different dialect group.

i hope u understand wat i am trying to say.

have we achieved SPEAK MANDARIN? yes, we have. to most of our children now, dialects are alien language to them. their roots could be lost forever and so are the values adhering to those dialect cultures/traditions.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
have we achieved SPEAK MANDARIN? yes, we have. to most of our children now, dialects are alien language to them. their roots could be lost forever and so are the values adhering to those dialect cultures/traditions.

have we achieved speak mandarin? erm... kind of. not a affirmative yes.

like i said, i am all for it. preserving dialect language and culture. PAP should go re-think their policy on dialect language.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think very few youths below 20 years old, born after 1990 can speak any dialects now apart from the vulgar words.

after those above 40 years old gradually passes away in 30 years time, hokkien will be gone from the singapore streets forever.

another 2 generations, our chinese dialects will no longer be spoken apart from the Kan ni na bu chao chee bye...

OldPlaza

Alfrescian
Loyal
just becos he doesn't understand a witty cantonese lines from such interesting serial and everyone has to be deprived of that rights to enjoy it.

when you watch/play Korean/japanese movies/video games, do you insist in original language?

when we do business with china, certain area like fujian, or guangzhou, hokkien or cantonese is mainly spoken there. beijing and shanghai mandarin are also quite different, so how far can singlish MANDARIN take us?

When doing business in HK, Taiwan, China, do business.. you are not there to teach/tutor Mandarin. Just like dealing with Angmoh, our Singlish has been reasonably Ok to get the deals done for the last 30 -40 years.

it makes us like counterfeit taiwanese which we are not. as for pure mandarin speaking chinese, we look a bit off tangent cos we are not communists china.

There is nothing wrong to use simple and easy, singapore-tinted mandarin to communicate, you are trying too hard to impress others with your language. trust me, our Hokkian/cantonese and other dialects are not up to the standards too

WHY CAN'T WE JUST BE PROUD OF WHAT WE ARE WITH OUR OWN UNIQUE CULTURE AND LANGUAGES OR DIALECTS? we should be proud about speaking SINGLISH cos that make us different from other country nationals.

promoting Singlish is a waste of our time and future. We all go to school to equip ourselves with useful knowledge, so that we can sell our products/services to the world. As a small country/market, It is our destiny to have good language skills to survive and prosper.

it distinguishes our uniqueness and we should be very proud of it and not ashamed of. we should be ashamed of ourselves when we try to fake something that is totally unnatural to singaporean for which our old goat in spaceship can never understand. he cannot speak hakka and that's something he should really be ashamed of.[/QUOTE]

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
mediacorpse forces down that at every peasants' throat. maybe it's about time we stand up for our rights to our very own entertainment and enjoyment.

then dun watch those mediacorpse crap!!!!...time to off your tv and on your comp and d/l the latest hongkee series and movies off the net..

seriously and realistically...are we really going to reach out to 1.3bil chinese just becos we speak mandarin?? even those prc as studying other foreign languages cos they know now that the world does not revolt around them...

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
another thing I don't understand and don't agree with is how some Korean/Jap dramas can be shown in dual sound, while canto and hokkien ones are not? so many impressionable young kids are learning jap/korean in school. again I assume this is allowed because of economic benefit.