• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Can I use HDB flat as registered office ?

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do I need to seek permission from HDB ?

I plan to register a LLP. Wonder if ACRA will accept my HDB address as registered office.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Yes you can, the only catch is there are some restrictions on noise, type of industry, etc. If just for an office, there is no issue. Cheers

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm caught in a chicken and egg situation. Typical of government agencies.

HDB wants my LLP registration number; ACRA wants my written permission from HDB.

I can't apply for LLP without first obtaining HDB approval; I can't apply for HDB approval without LLP being registered first at ACRA.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

HDB wants my LLP registration number; ACRA wants my written permission from HDB.

I can't apply for LLP without first obtaining HDB approval; I can't apply for HDB approval without LLP being registered first at ACRA.
go f ah hdb 1st ...

bioanarchism

Alfrescian
Loyal

1. Spend some money to apply for a virtual office address for 1 month.
  2. Submit your application to ACRA. Follow through until completed.
  3. Submit your application to HDB for home address. Follow through until completed.
  4. Submit a change of contact address via ACRA after HDB has approved.

Good luck with your new endeavor!

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
First I'm hearing of this. HDB at most just needs a letter of intent on your part for approval. Maybe LLP has different rules from Pte Ltd?

For virtual office, if you engaged the services of an accountant, they would usually allow you to use their address temporarily.

Then again, LLP could be a different story.

If you're setting up LLP, Are you planning to start some form of professional consultancy where each partner is covered by their respective professional liability insurance? If not, it's pretty pointless to do one.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everything is done through Internet, so there is no letter of intent. It's all point and click using the OBLS Enterprise One website.

It's no difference whether it's LLP or LP or Sole-Proprietorship. ACRA will ask for HDB Approval, and HDB will ask for ACRA UEN number.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So why don't you go down to ACRA and see how they can help????

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right. Got to go down to ACRA because ACRA is notorious for not entertaining phone calls. BUT....I'm not in Singapore right now, so I'm trying to set up everything whilst overseas.

This is the wonderful brainchild of HDB when applying for approval:

'Please ensure that you have your Registration Number (UEN) ready. If you do not have one, you will need to apply for a Business Registration or Company Incorporation.'

And then of course, ACRA has a mind of its own too:

'Please note that the Housing & Development Board (HDB) does not allow its flats to be used as the registered office address of the LLP unless your application has been approved by HDB. If you intend to use HDB premises for LLP, kindly ensure that you obtain HDB's approval prior to registering your LLP.'

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So are you permanently overseas or just for the moment. Can wait or not. If you're doing it because you found some incredible lobang that needs you to set up a company ASAP, then I'd better you be wary and stall for time.

If you're permanently overseas, then better to rent out your HDB and get a tidy side income.

Anyway, try contacting an accountancy firm in Intl building (there's a lot of them there) and enquire about setting up an account with them, then slip in your situation and see what they say...

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, lets limit the discussion to the technicalities involved in trying to reconcile the two requirements, all at the same time.

I plan to remain overseas, and in order to achieve my objective I need to start a company or (LLP which I prefer) as a pretext to registering a Representative Office in the country where I now reside.

Since everything is done via Internet and achievable with Singpass, I'm trying to avoid having to pay anything to a 3rd party.

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal
I asked HDB this question previously. This is the reply I got:

We would like to inform you that with effect from 10 June 2003, HDB flats can be used as a home office and for business registration under the Home Office Scheme. Owners, tenants, authorised occupiers and subtenants of HDB flats, who are 21 years and above, are eligible to apply under the scheme. To qualify under this scheme, interested applicant must satisfy the terms and conditions (see Annex A) of the Home Office Scheme and the proposed business is not in the "negative list" of businesses (see Annex B). The Home Office Scheme allows a maximum of 2 non-residents. The non-residents could be shareholders, directors of the business or employees. To maintain the residential ambience, no business or advertisement signage is allowed. Interested applicant can submit online application via Online Business Licensing Service. A non-refundable administration fee of $20/- is required. After the approval, which is valid for three years, is granted, the applicant has to register his business with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA). He is allowed to use the HDB flat address to register his business. Enquiry & Application Procedure 3 You have enquired about using your HDB flat address for your company's mailing address. If you are able to comply with the terms and conditions, please submit your application via OBLS. You will need the following items: a) Singpass b) Credit card (VISA or Mastercard) or Internet Bank Account or Flexipay During the first part of the e-application, please click the button 'an individual or non-ACRA-registered organisation' if you do not have the RCB Number. After completing the e-application with e-payment, you will receive an immediate approval. Please print out the Application Status "Approved with Payment" for your reference. After obtaining the approval from HDB, you may register the businesses with ACRA. The reference number that you can use to update ACRA Biz file, is the last 6 digits (xxxxxx) of the Case ID (starts with C070xxxxxx). You may click the following url to apply : https://licences.business.gov.sg/SHINE/sop/WebPageHandler?p=OASIS&pn=SelectLicences&LicenceID=1421 If you have problem completing the online application form, he may wish to contact OBLS helpdesk at 68981595. The operating hours are from Monday to Friday (8.30 am to 5.30 pm) excluding public holidays. Alternatively, he may send e-mail to :[email protected]. More Information 4 For more information on the Home Office Scheme, he may refer to "Businesses>Setting up a Home Office" section of HDB's website at : http://www.hdb.gov.sg.