• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

buying a mountain bike

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm thinking of getting one. which brand should I be getting one? is foldable one recommended (and their price is rather steep) or those non foldable type? Please give some advise. :p

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm thinking of getting one. which brand should I be getting one? is foldable one recommended (and their price is rather steep) or those non foldable type? Please give some advise. :p

Advise is a verb. Advice is a noun. It should be advice. :biggrin:

On a more serious note, buy this brand from Giant ...... Aleoca ....... cheap and good.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BMC teamelite TE01 29 XC

asset-2bde1c8b489bd55c739be20d70d34665.jpg

asset-a9ec2f8d0a7e037b718d74b64e517dac.jpg

asset-8c9d078fe82c85b8f5acb7536fe6c73a.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Which mountain trails are you going to ride?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
a off road bike is more multi purpose than a road bike. that's all.

You don't need a mountain bike if you aren't going to ride challenging off road trails. What you need is a commuter or "urban" model.

eg http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/urban_utility/?gclid=CMaKwtGgz7gCFWXZQgodEWAAjg

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/2012-buyer-s-guide-city-commuter-bikes

The fat, knobby tyres installed on mountain bikes slow you down considerably on ordinary tarmac and bike paths and they are notoriously slippery in the wet.

Spot-Ajax-Belt.jpg

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Yah I don't understand the logic of getting an MTB when most people do not even go on trails. And yet MTBs are so common and popular! A commuter or hybrid bicycle would be best for normal rides on roads, pathways, across a field, etc.

large-adpic1-1374718388-43482.jpg

specialized-sirrus-limited-2013-hybrid-bike.jpg

Last edited:

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I got a mountain bike but changed the tyres to semi slick tyres so that they are better suited for road use, those tyres that come with the mountain bike you purchased slows you down considerably when riding on tarmac. However, due to their larger size, you wont get stuck on the drainage covers like the tyres of road/hybrid bikes.

JuliaScissors

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have a MTB and 2 x foldies. For commuting and if you dont like a full size bike in the house, a foldie is good. A foldie is nimble in tight places like pavements. Terns (http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes) are good. Link D8 is rather popular.
Mini velos (non-foldable, small 20" wheels) like the below are also fun to ride :

adpic1-1374033065-50889.jpg

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Then get this:

yikebike-20090903-468.jpg

[video=youtube;cbxpJUWU7H0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbxpJUWU7H0#at=26[/video]

Last edited:

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rodalink has got sale MTB selling for half the original price,
Colnago 26inch MTB going for $1280.00, Colnago 29 er MTB going for
$1428.00.

Xt and XTR group set half price! where to find? at Trade Hub Jurong! near IMM.