• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fernandes seals QPR takeover

18 August 2011

12427254740.jpg

English Premier League newcomers QPR have secured a new owner in Malaysian businessman Tony Fernandes, two weeks from the transfer deadline.
The 47-year-old came to the aid of last season's Championship winners, buying a 66 percent stake in the club from former majority shareholders Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone.

He will now work alongside the Mittal family, who have retained their 33 percent stake, and said he saw the club as a sleeping giant.
"QPR is a raw diamond and hopefully I can contribute into turning it into a diamond," Fernandes said. "I've always wanted to be involved in football and the appeal of a London club, like QPR, was too good an opportunity to turn down."

QPR won promotion back to the Premier League by winning the Championship under manager Neil Warnock in 2010/11, but suffered a torrid time on their return to the top flight with a 4-0 hammering at home to Bolton in their opening fixture on Saturday. Fans will be hoping Fernandes has deep pockets, after former owners Briatore and Ecclestone received heavy criticism for granting Warnock just 1.25 million pounds for the new season, which was spent on striker DJ Campbell.

Fernandes made no immediate financial promises but did say he was in it for the long haul. "I could easily say we're going to win the Champions League and the Premier League but that's really not my style. I don't want to make big promises I can't guarantee," he said. "The fans pay good money and are stakeholders, so whatever we do, I want the fans to be proud. We'll do it in style and with integrity."

"I'm keen to create a good Academy, so that there's a constant supply of players. We're in a fantastic part of London and we should be bringing kids through." Rangers play Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday, in their second match of the season.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cech blow for Chelsea

18 August 2011

12427254720.jpg

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech will be out for three to four weeks after he injured his knee in a training mishap.
Cech, the Blues' player of the season last campaign, will miss English Premier League matches against West Brom, Norwich, Sunderland and possible reigning champions Manchester United.

The injury will also rule Cech out of Chelsea's opening Champions League game and the Czech Republic's Euro 2012 qualifier against Scotland on September 3.
"Cech fell awkwardly with his weight on top of him. We expected much worse when we saw the incident," Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas said.

Chelsea are already on the back foot having dropped two points away to Stoke on Sunday, with Villas-Boas to select from understudies Hilario or Ross Turnbull to replace Cech between the sticks.
"We will make a full decision on the goalkeeper on Friday. We have two goalkeepers, one will start and the other on the bench," Villas-Boas said.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 17th August 2011

657586_33_preview.jpg

Alex Song accepts three-game ban

Arsenal midfielder Alex Song has accepted a Football Association charge of violent conduct and will now serve a three-match suspension.

The charge relates to an incident during the Gunners' draw at Newcastle on Saturday, when the 23-year-old appeared to stamp on the leg of opponent Joey Barton.

Song's team-mate, new signing Gervinho, is also about to start a three-game ban for slapping Barton, and the pair will miss vital games against Liverpool, Manchester United and Swansea.

Both clubs were also charged with failing to control their players and have until Thursday to respond.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 18th August 2011

584987_33_preview.jpg

OM open to Valbuena Arsenal bid

Marseille sporting director Jose Anigo has opened the door for Arsenal to make a move for French midfielder Mathieu Valbuena.

The Gunners are light in midfield after the exit of Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona, while Samir Nasri could yet leave the club before the closure of the transfer window.
Arsenal are actively seeking reinforcements and Valbuena is reportedly a target, and Anigo is unopposed to an offer from the Premier League giants.

"It's been six years since Mathieu Valbuena joined the club. If Arsenal wants to buy him, the discussions can be opened," he told French radio station RMC. ''When a player has spent five or six years at a club, out of respect for him, nothing is closed. We are very pleased with him, but if a big club is interested in Mathieu, people listen.''

Arsenal have also been linked with Valbuena's team-mate Andre Ayew but Anigo maintains that they will not be selling the 21-year-old playmaker. "Andre Ayew is not for sale,'' Anigo insisted. ''There is certainly a clause [in his contract] but the clause has a time limit which has expired. If you want to buy, you pay a different price than that set at the start."

He added: "Andre Ayew has a long way to go for us." Meanwhile, French sports paper L'Equipe suggest the Gunners are also keen on signing Marseille's Argentine midfielder Lucho Gonzalez on loan. Anigo has dismissed the notion, though, and claims the 30-year-old, who has been heavily linked with Roma, will not leave the club this transfer window.

"The Lucho departure on loan is not even questionable," he said. "We don't want him to leave anymore. "He is at his best and I think he will not leave. The transfer market will be terminated in a fortnight and I can't see how we could replace him."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

619188_33_preview.jpg

Desperate Arsenal to start Jenkinson

With injuries mounting at the Emirates, Arsenal could be forced to start with youngster Carl Jenkinson against Liverpool.

According to reports in the Guardian, the Gunners squad is so thinly stretched that manager Arsene Wenger is expected to give Jenkinson his Premier League debut against the Reds on Saturday.
This is despite the defender only making seven career starts in League One so far, though the 19-year-old did acquit himself well when substituted on during Arsenal's 1-0 win against Udinese in their UEFA Champions League qualifier.

Jenkinson was a £1million signing from Charlton Athletic during the transfer window, and faces a daunting challenge against Liverpool strikers Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll. But it is not just in defence that the depleted Gunners are suffering, with Samir Nasri also on the verge of leaving for Manchester City for a £22 million move, which would leave their midfield options scarce.

Former club captain Cesc Fabregas has already departed to Barcelona and won his first silverware on Wednesday after the Catalans beat Real Madrid in an ill-contested 3-2 victory in the Spanish Supercopa final, and Wenger will also not have Abou Diaby, Jack Wilshere and Alex Song for selection, as the trio are out with either injuries or suspension.

The Frenchman will also not be able to pick new signing Gervinho, who was sent off on his Premier League debut against Newcastle after slapping Joey Barton during their 0-0 draw. Winger Theo Walcott admitted that the treatment room was getting crowded at the Emirates, saying: We've had a couple of injuries and we have to hope they are not too bad."

"We have got a fairly big squad but we don't want the squad to get lower and lower. Gibbsy and Johan have come off but the boss knows what he is doing and hopefully those players will be fit and ready to go again soon. The England star also admitted that the Gunners needed to bring in experienced hands to steady the ship, saying: "It is important to have a mixture of experience and young players".

"The boss has picked off great players who we don't know where they have come from, so only time will tell what he is going to do. Now we have got another very tough game against Liverpool at the weekend."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

624584_33_preview.jpg

"Banks won't lend Everton money"

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright insists the club's inability to borrow any money from their bank is to blame for a lack of transfer activity this summer.

The Toffees have not made any signings during the close season, much to their fans' frustration on the back of last term's seventh-place finish. Kenwright says the Merseysiders have also not even been able to sell any of their players to help raise funds to add new faces to David Moyes' squad.

The club's supremo lays the finger of blame in the direction of their bank, who have clamped down on lending in the wake of the recession. "Two things, one the world is in a recession and I don't know any business that isn't suffering at the moment and I include football in that, other than the financial elite," he told Sky Sports News.

"Two, we've come to a stage with our bank with our finance where we just can't borrow any more. You've been at the AGMs, EGMs, the shareholders' meeting when I've said year after year, what we do is we beg and borrow from the bank. That's what we've been doing.

"The banks are tightening in now. We just can't borrow any more money. A, to protect the football club and B, to protect the fans. I know the progress over the past decade has been phenomenal on and off the pitch.

"We knew this summer we were going to get to a point where things were going to get very, very tight. We knew we had to trade. There has not been a lot of trading in football itself this summer. We've not been able to trade yet and that's the reason that we've not bought in a new player."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

631178_33_preview.jpg

Chelsea aiming for Mata swoop

Chelsea will look to pip Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur to sign Juan Mata from Valencia before the summer transfer window ends.

According to reports in the Guardian, the Blues have looked at Mata as a genuine target if their bid for Modric fails, and Chelsea have made an informal inquiry to Valencia about their willingness to sell.
This latest development will infuriate Arsenal, who had looked at the 23-year-old as a possible replacement for the recently departed Cesc Fabregas, but had failed to make a bid for Mata before the 31st of July, which was the expiry date for his buyout clause.

This has meant that Valencia now have the power to dictate the value of the Spaniard, as the previous buyout clause had restricted his value to £22 million. Tottenham Hotspur had been happy to meet that valuation, but the player himself had rejected a move to the club, as they were not challenging for the UEFA Champions League this season.

Further reports indicate that Valencia are looking for at least €30 million before they will let Mata leave, and with manager Andre Villa-Boas keen to add flair to his midfield, they are expected to easily outbid their London rivals for the talented attacker.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

565909_33_preview.jpg

Chelsea complete Romelu Lukaku signing

Romelu Lukaku declared it was a dream come true after completing his transfer to Chelsea from Anderlecht.

The London club have confirmed on their website that the deal has been finalised after the two clubs agreed a fee, thought to be between £15million and £20million, for the highly-rated 18-year-old earlier this month.
He underwent a medical at the Blues' training ground in Cobham last week and will now be available for Saturday's Barclays Premier League game against West Brom.

"Amazing. It's a dream come true," he said on www.chelseafc.com. "I dreamed to play here since I was 10 years old, thinking about shaking hands with all those players like John Terry and Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba. "It's amazing to arrive here in a big club with big ambition. It was just what I was searching for."

Lukaku caught the eye of a number of Europe's top clubs after his free-scoring efforts for Anderlecht, but made it clear he was determined to move to Stamford Bridge. His power, pace and eye for goal have seen him likened to new team-mate Didier Drogba. While flattered by such comparisons, Lukaku believes he also offers something different and can learn a lot from the 33-year-old Ivory Coast forward.

"It's nice, I like it a lot," he said on www.chelseafc.com. "We have similar playing styles, but I am also very fast. I want to learn off him how it is to play here at the Bridge and how to prepare for games. "I can also learn off the other strikers and experienced players in the squad. I think if you are clever on and off the pitch you will get accepted and that's what I want."

Lukaku's record in Belgian football is impressive. He made his first-team debut at Anderlecht when he was 16 and has averaged almost a goal every two games in the Jupiler League. His goals helped Anderlecht win the Belgian title in 2010 and he scored three times in the Champions League qualifying round last season, although the team went out before the group stage.

Lukaku, whose father Roger played for Zaire in the 1990s, has won 10 caps for Belgium, scoring two goals. He will wear the number 18 shirt for his new team and cannot wait to get started for a side he has supported for the past decade. "I watched the Premier League since I was nine," he said. "Every weekend I watched the games, I used to watch Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink scoring goals and remember one against Manchester United, the volley at Old Trafford, and I decided I wanted to support this team."

"It was a good experience to play in Belgium but I wanted to take a big step to join a big club and I said from day one that I wanted to go to Chelsea. To be here now is so good, there are guys with a lot of experience at international level and they won everything, but I didn't, I don't have the same feeling as them. I just want to win something so I am very hungry to start with these guys."

Chelsea failed to lift any silverware last season but Lukaku is confident that will be rectified this term. "I understand there is a lot of pressure on the team but with the players that we have, so much experience and so much talent, and with a great boss also, you can see that we can be confident we can make a successful season," he said.

On his targets for the campaign ahead, he added: "First of all I just want to learn and train as much as possible to improve myself and show the coach that when he needs me I am ready. "Then I hope to make minutes for the team and be helpful for the te am, because the team is the most important thing. If you think positively about the team it will be positive for you."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

653457_33_preview.jpg

Jones eyes Smalling United partnership

Defender Phil Jones is confident he can form a solid partnership with Chris Smalling at the back for Manchester United if called upon to do so.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson must decide who out of Jonny Evans, Jones and Smalling to play at centre-half over the coming weeks after first-choice pairing Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand sustained injuries in Sunday's 2-1 victory at West Brom.

Jones, who came off the bench to make his Barclays Premier League debut for the Red Devils in the game, has already linked up with Smalling in England Under-21 matches and feels their success at that level will set them in good stead should they be required to deputise for Vidic and Ferdinand.

Asked how beneficial it is to have played alongside Smalling for England, Jones told the club's official website: "That will only help. We've done really well together with England and kept quite a few clean sheets. "We communicate well and read each other's game, which is a good thing to have in a partnership at the back."

It would appear to be another promising omen for United that Jones has closely studied the way Vidic and Ferdinand play. "They are brilliant defenders," Jones said. "I've always watched those two play together and tried to model my game on them and copy things they do." Ferguson signed Jones from Blackburn this summer in a deal worth a reported £16.5million.

If the 19-year-old features in Monday's home clash with Tottenham it will be his first competitive appearance for United at Old Trafford - less than a year after he was part of a Rovers team thrashed 7-1 there last season. He said: "I only played there once - in that 7-1 hammering. I was looking forward to it beforehand, and making sure I was fit.

"It's a fantastic stadium with a great atmosphere and I was playing against some fantastic players. It's even better now I'm playing with them."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

657661_33_preview.jpg

Celtic swoop for Newcastle's Forster

Celtic have signed goalkeeper Fraser Forster on a season-long loan from Newcastle subject to registration.

The 23-year-old will spend a second season at Celtic Park having played 44 times in a similar arrangement last term, which included a Scottish Cup triumph.
Celtic boss Neil Lennon told www.celticfc.net: "We're absolutely delighted as he's been our main target, basically, since the end of last season. "We've worked hard in the background to try and bring him in and we've eventually done that so we're very, very pleased.

"It's given myself a boost and it's given the squad a huge boost as well as we've now got three very, very good goalkeepers, so there's great competition in that area, which is what we wanted all along. "I felt we'd always get a keeper. Fraser was the one who was top of the list but there were other options that we could have gone for but we're thrilled that he's here now."

Lennon has searched far and wide this summer for somebody to provide competition for Lukasz Zaluska and Dominic Cervi. Speaking ahead of Thursday night's Europa League play-off first leg against Swiss side Sion at Parkhead and before the deal was confirmed, he said: "We hope to have him registered in time for tomorrow night."

On whether he will face Sion, Lennon added: "We will have to see his condition. "The form of Lukasz has been very good so we will weigh these things up. "But it has given myself and the squad a boost. "We have three very good goalkeepers so there is great competition in that area which is what we wanted."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 19th August 2011

658535_33_preview.jpg

Liverpool releases El Zhar

Liverpool have agreed to release striker Nabil El Zhar from his contract ahead of an expected move to Spanish side Levante.

The 24-year-old joined the Reds from St Etienne in October 2006, scoring one goal in 32 appearances.

The Moroccan spent last season on loan with Greek club PAOK.

A statement on Thursday read: "Liverpool football club this evening confirmed they have reached agreement to release Nabil El Zhar from his Anfield contract.

"The player is now expected to join Spanish side Levante, who have announced on their website they expect to finalise a two-year deal in the coming days."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 19th August 2011

658512_33_preview.jpg

'Ryodinho' keeps his feet on the ground

Arsenal's latest sensation Ryo Miyaichi received rave reviews after his loan to Feyernoord last season, but refused to be caught up in the hype.

Failing to get a work permit in England last season, the Japanese midfielder spent six months on loan at Feyernoord.
Miyaichi's outstanding performance caught the eye of local fans, who labelled him 'Ryodinho', after the famous Brazilian playmaker whom his style of play takes after.

After being granted a work permit last week, which means he will be getting his taste of English football this season once the paperwork is completed. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger also tipped him to have a 'big impact' in this campaign, hinting that the teenager will be part of the first team setup.

With the departure of three key midfielders from the first team in the summer, this is a perfect opportunity for the 18-year-old to break into the first team and showcase his talent.
However, Miyaichi is determined to not let the hype get to his head. He told Arsenal Player:

"I believe [the fans] compared me to Ronaldinho but I can't be compared to him, there needs to be a lot of hard work in order for me to catch up with and overtake him.
"Since I decided to become a football player I always dreamed of playing in a team abroad, "I am pleased but I have just started and I've done nothing yet so I should keep my feet on the ground and work hard.

He also sent a message to Gunners fans, when he added: "Arsenal is a club loved by people around the world so I am proud to be a part of this team. "I also want to be a player loved by the Arsenal fans, I will work hard so please support me."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 19th August 2011

658546_33_preview.jpg

Dein: Wenger could walk from Arsenal

Former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has urged fans to show Arsene Wenger respect or risk of losing him as manager as he comes under increasing pressure.

The Frenchman is enduring a difficult period in north London with the fans frustrated after six years without silverware and little investment.
Matters have been compounded by the departure of Cesc Fabregas to Barcelona and the apparently imminent switch to Manchester City by Samir Nasri.

Supporters vented their frustration at the end of last season and the lack of transfer activity has done little to mollify them while some fans became embroiled in a spat with Nasri this week. However, Dein - who left Arsenal in 2007 - insists Wenger could choose to leave if he does not get the fans' backing.

Dein told BBC Sport on Friday: "That's always an option open to him because it could come to a stage when he will say, 'Well, I have had enough.' "At least that's how I feel and I feel the fans should feel that. They should at least give him the respect that he deserves for what he's done.

"People talk about 'Has his time finished at the club?' "That's a very dangerous thing to say because it's easy to get rid of people and then what? People talk about buying players.
"Well, you've got to get players who are better than the ones you've got at the moment."

Dein was instrumental in appointing Wenger in 1996 and he admits he can empathise with the Gunners fans. "I can understand their worry because the expectation level today is so high and Arsene has brought such success to the club. "In 15 years that he's been there every year we've been in the Champions League.

So you can understand, perhaps, fans feeling a little bit frustrated that they haven't seen a trophy for a few years.
"Under Arsene Wenger's stewardship, they've had good times and very good times and there's no reason to expect why we shouldn't see them again."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 19th August 2011

658541_33_preview.jpg

Abramovich frees up £60m war chest

Chelsea are set to make waves in the summer transfer window with a £29million bid for Valencia winger Juan Mata as well as upping their offer for Tottenham's Luka Modric.

According to the Daily Mail, Blues coach Andre Villas-Boas has told Roman Abramovich he needs to inject more flair into his side and the billionaire Chelsea owner has responded by making £60million available for new players.
Chelsea reportedly had a £22million bid for Mata rejected by Valencia this week and the newspaper claims the Barclays Premier League club will now return with an offer of £27million, plus £2million in top-up payments.

Mata's stock has been on the rise and Chelsea's Premier League rival Arsenal were also understood to be monitoring the winger who starred for Spain at this summer's European Under 21 Championship. Additionally, sources close to the Daily Mail indicate that Villas-Boas will attempt to wrap up the signing of Tottenham star Modric before the transfer window shuts in less than two weeks time.

Spurs had previously rejected a £27million offer from the Blues for their Croatia international midfielder but coach Harry Redknapp recently admitted that a fresh injection of funds could help him improve his squad. Spurs chairman Daniel Levy remains the main obstacle - his stance on Modric not being available at any price has not softened.

Chelsea have stood watch this summer as title rivals Manchester City and Manchester United spent more than £50million on new players while the Blues only major transaction in the transfer window so far was completed on Thursday with the £20million signing of Romelu Lukaku. Chelsea have high hopes for Lukaku, who has already been backed by Villas-Boas to become as big a Stamford Bridge legend as Didier Drogba.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mixed news for United defenders

19 August 2011

12427254990.jpg

Injured Manchester United defender Nemanja Vidic will be out for longer than expected, but there was good news for Rio Ferdinand.
Boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed on Friday the Serbian defender would miss up to five weeks with a calf injury. But Ferdinand, who was expected to miss six weeks with a hamstring injury, is likely to return for the August 28 fixture against Arsenal.

"Last week, we thought Rio's hamstring would have him out for six weeks and with Vidic, we thought it was just a nerve problem. That's reversed itself," Ferguson said.
"Vidic has got a calf muscle injury, which means he'll be four to five weeks. It's longer than we thought." "Meanwhile, Rio's injury isn't as bad as we thought and he could be ready for our game against Arsenal. I don't think he'll be ready for Monday (against Tottenham)."
"It's amazing how circumstances can change in a few days." Both defenders were substituted in United's 2-1 win against West Bromwich Albion on Sunday. England manager Fabio Capello will be glad for the news of Ferdinand's return, with England taking on Bulgaria (September 2) and Wales (September 6) in Euro 2012 qualifiers.

Ferguson will have left-back Patrice Evra back for Monday's Premier League meeting at home to Tottenham, while forward Javier Hernandez is also closing in on a comeback from concussion. "Patrice is back which gives us experience. Chicharito (Hernandez) is back training and doing very well, as is (Antonio) Valencia, who will play in the reserves next week," Ferguson said.

"When will we bring Chicharito back? It depends. From a medical point of view, considering he had a concussion before, we have to decide when is the best time to bring him back." Midfielder Darren Fletcher is also likely to be fit after playing out another game with the reserves side.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 19th August 2011

658545_33_preview.jpg

Nasri wanted to join United, not City

Manchester City target Samir Nasri has confided to his friends that he would have prefered a move to Manchester United instead of their neighbours.

The Arsenal midfielder has a year left on his current contract but has rejected attempts to renew it, citing a lack of success at the London club.
Nasri is set to sign for Manchester City by the weekend, where it is believed he will be offered a five-year-deal worth at least £175,000 a week, almost triple the pay he received from Arsenal.

However, according to reports in certain section of the British media, Nasri has revealed to close friends that he would have preferred to join Barcelona, Real Madrid or Manchester United instead of Manchester City, as they are all more capable of winning top honours. He was understood to be so keen on joining United that he was willing to see out the last year of his Arsenal contract to move to Old Trafford on a free at the end of the season. The move failed to materialise when the English champions failed to follow up their initial interest.

With no offers forthcoming from Spain, Nasri was left with City, where, nevertheless, he believes he will still be better placed to win honours than Arsenal.
Should Nasri's move to Manchester City go through, he would be the fourth player to leave the Emirates Stadium this summer, after former skipper Cesc Fabregas' protracted move to Barcelona, Gael Clichy's transfer to Manchester City and Emmanuel Eboue's Galatasaray transfer.

Meanwhile,City boss Roberto Mancini is hopeful a deal to sign Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri can be tied up "very quickly". "I hope we can close it very quickly now, but I don't know the last news about him because my concentration is on the game," Mancini said. "But I hope - also because the market finishes in the next 10 days."

Asked why there may have been a delay in proceedings, Mancini said: "I don't know - this is not my job. "I don't know why, but it is probably because Nasri is a good player, or because there is some problem." In terms of potential outgoing personnel, one player who seems certain to leave City is Emmanuel Adebayor.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp this week revealed Spurs were in talks with the Blues about a move for the striker, although Mancini would only say it was "possible" Adebayor was about to be sold.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Queens Park Rangers target Shaun Wright-Phillips, Scott Parker and Nedum Onuoha following takeover

Queens Park Rangers have identified Shaun Wright-Phillips, Scott Parker and Nedum Onuoha as their three main transfer targets before the transfer window closes, with manager Neil Warnock admitting that had the club not been taken over on Thursday, he did not believe they could have survived in the Premier League.

fernandes_1975589c.jpg

In charge: Tony Fernandes has completed his takeover of QPR and manager Neil Warnock will be handed funds to boost his squad Photo: PA

By Jason Burt

11:00PM BST 18 Aug 2011

Warnock was speaking at the announcement of the takeover by Malaysian entrepreneur Tony Fernandes, who is understood to have paid around £35 million after concluding a deal at 4am on Thursday to buy out Bernie Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore and secure a controlling interest.

Fernandes has taken a 66 per cent stake after agreeing to pay off the Formula One bosses — who invited him to get involved after he failed to acquire West Ham United, the club he supports, last year. Fernandes has also brought back the popular Amit Bhatia — the former vice-chairman and son-in-law of Lakshmi Mittal, Britain’s wealthiest man, who will retain a 33 per cent stake — who quit after a series of disagreements with the previous regime.

Chief among those arguments was a row over the huge hike in ticket prices after being promoted and the new owners have pledged to review the amounts being charged to supporters. There is certainly alarm that last Saturday’s opening Premier League match at home to Bolton was not sold out, given the limited capacity of Loftus Road.

A more pressing problem for QPR is to try to ensure the team is competitive for the season, and following Thursday’s press conference there was a meeting to discuss transfer targets. Fernandes is understood to be keen to make Scott Parker a ‘marquee’ signing, despite having an initial offer of £4 million, plus £1 million if the club avoid relegation, being rejected by West Ham United.

QPR also want the Manchester City pair of Wright-Phillips and Onuoha, who are both surplus to requirements and desperate to leave. No bids have yet been submitted for the pair but offers are imminent.
Wages will be an issue for Parker and Wright-Phillips, while it remains to be seen whether the former, in particular, wants to join QPR. West Ham are still demanding £8 million for the 30 year-old.

Parker has been identified by Warnock as the key signing and the manager said of the new owner and the promise of fresh investment: “I must admit that up until today I did fear whether we had enough structure at the moment to progress. But now, all of a sudden, it comes down to my ability against other people and I like that chance. “To be on a level playing field with two-thirds of the Premier League is a great opportunity to me and that’s all you want as a manager.”

Warnock alluded to the problems he faced under the previous regime when he said that all he now wanted was a “fair crack of the whip’ and said that with two weeks to go before the transfer window closes, he now felt more optimistic. “It gives me a fighting chance to bring in the players I think we need to stabilise us at the top level,” he said. Fernandes refused to make any grandiose promises beyond attempting to keep the club in the Premier League.

Certainly the Malaysian, who is the team principal for Formula One team Lotus and the driving force behind a number of businesses, has innovative plans for the club, not least because of his grasp of marketing and embracing of social media tools such as Twitter. “QPR is in a fantastic location and has huge potential to develop into something special,” he said. “I’m not here to say where I want to go. I would rather let the results speak for themselves but definitely this is a long-term project. It could grow into something nice. I can see the latent potential.

“This is a club for everybody and we have to take account of everyone‘s views. If we have to make changes, we will. If we make an announcement [on ticket prices] it will be before the next home game.” Fernandes, who has appointed Phil Beard, the former head of the O2 Arena, as the club’s new chief executive, said that he would also endeavour to buck the trend and run QPR as a profitable business.

Key men: the players in Warnock’s sights

SHAUN WRIGHT-PHILLIPS
The London-born winger has struggled to gain first-team football at Manchester City in recent seasons, falling down the pecking order behind Adam Johnson and David Silva. His high wages could prove a sticking point.

SCOTT PARKER
Signing the highly-rated midfielder would be a coup for Rangers, but West Ham have had interest from more illustrious Premier League clubs. Staying in London might suit Parker, though.

NEDUM ONUOHA
Another City player who has struggled to tie down a place in the first team, the versatile defender spent last season on loan at Sunderland.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League Transfer Talk

Transfers: Latest news, rumours and gossip for every Premier League club.

By Telegraph staff

8:50AM BST 19 Aug 2011

Arsenal
Samir Nasri is closing in on a £22m move to Manchester City amid claims he wanted to join bitter rivals Manchester United instead! (Star)
Arsenal have agreed terms for Emmanuel Eboué's transfer to Turkish side Galatasaray. (Telegraph)
Lille have slapped a €30million price tag on midfield star Eden Hazard as Arsenal step up their pursuit of the Belgian. (Talksport)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Aston Villa
Aston Villa are leading the chase to sign FC Sion striker Giovanni Sio. (talkSPORT)
Manchester City will block any attempts by Alex McLeish to take James Milner and Adam Johnson on loan. (Sun)
Blackburn Rovers
Blackburn boss Steve Kean has agreed a £6million deal for Bosnian striker Vedad Ibisevic. (Mirror)
Blackburn Rovers are looking to bring Juventus striker Vincenzo Iaquinta to Ewood Park. (Footie Online)
Bolton Wanderers
Owen Coyle is resigned to the fact he may lose Gary Cahill in this transfer window (Click Lancashire)
Shaun Wright-Phillips is in talks with Manchester City about a pay-off that would open the door for his move to Bolton. (Mirror)
Chelsea
Chelsea are ready to make an emphatic title statement by bidding £29million for Valencia winger Juan Mata and upping their offer for Tottenham’s Luka Modric. (Mail)
Everton
An agreement over a deal that will take Joseph Yobo to Fenerbahce is expected to be reached by the weekend, with a fee in the region of £2m mooted. (Liverpool Echo)
Everton boss David Moyes is in talks with Manchester City about signing out-of-favour defender Nedum Onuoha. (Mirror)
Fulham
Fulham boss Martin Jol is closing in on the signing of Ajax hitman Mounir El Hamdaoui (talkSPORT)
Fulham could be set for a double raid on Tottenham for David Bentley and Peter Crouch. (Fanatix)
Liverpool
Liverpool have reached an agreement with striker Nabil El Zhar to release him from his contract ahead of an expected move to Spanish side Levante. (Belfast Telegraph)
Liverpool's clearout is set to continue with striker David Ngog on the verge of joining Bolton Wanderers. (Daily Post)
Manchester City
Samir Nasri is closing in on a £22m move to Manchester City amid claims he wanted to join bitter rivals Manchester United instead! (Star)
City will block any attempts by Alex McLeish to take James Milner and Adam Johnson on loan to Aston Villa. (Sun)
Manchester United
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti remains adamant that Wesley Sneijder will not be going anywhere this summer. (Sky Sports)
Newcastle United
Newcastle United have made an enquiry about the availability of Charlton Athletic goalkeeper Rob Elliot. (Football365)
Newcastle have been told to stump up around £2million to take Wayne Bridge on loan from Manchester City. (Sun)
Norwich City
Premier League new boys Norwich City could snatch Gambian trialist Njogu Demba-Nyren from under the noses of Championship side Birmingham City. (Daily Observer)
Paul Lambert is backing Daniel Ayala to 'benefit' Norwich after signing from Liverpool on a four-year contract for an undisclosed fee. (Setanta)
Queens Park Rangers
West Ham have branded QPR’s £4million bid for Scott Parker a “publicity stunt” by new owner Tony Fernandes, comparing it to a £12m bid for Wayne Rooney. (Mirror)
Liverpool squad clearout is set to continue with Philipp Degen a target for Queens Park Rangers. (Daily Post)
Stoke City
QPR, West Brom, Wolves and Blackburn are after defender Andy Wilkinson. (The Boothen Roar)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Sunderland
Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has played down reports that the Black Cats are close to securing the services of Niko Kranjcar. (Sky Sports)
Swansea City
Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers has admitted that midfield is one area he is looking to strengthen before the transfer window slams shut. (Sky Sports)
St Etienne are ready to battle Aston Villa and Swansea for the services of World Cup winning striker David Trezeguet. (Talksport)
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea are considering offering Yossi Benayoun and Salomon Kalou as makeweights in a deal for Tottenham Hotspur's playmaker Luka Modric. (Guardian)
Spurs are closing in on a season-long loan deal for Emmanuel Adebayor. (Star)
------------------------------------------------------------
West Bromwich Albion
West Bromwich Albion have held further talks with Owen Hargreaves and are confident that the former Manchester United player will pass a full medical if they can agree personal terms with him. (Guardian)
West Brom, QPR, Wolves and Blackburn are after Stoke defender Andy Wilkinson. (The Boothen Roar)
Wigan Athletic
Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez has confirmed the club have opened contract talks with highly-rated midfielder James McCarthy. (Sky Sports)
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is eyeing a surprise move for Middlesbrough striker Marvin Emnes, according to reports. (Setanta)

Last edited:

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Transfer wrap

In the English Premier League, forward Joel Campbell has been confirmed as an Arsenal player, with all formal agreements and processes pertaining to the transfer now complete.
Campbell, 19, joins the Gunners - for a reported one million pounds - fresh from representing Costa Rica at the 2011 Under 20 World Cup and Copa America tournaments.

West Bromwich Albion continue their pursuit of injury-ravaged Owen Hargreaves, with the former England international and Manchester United midfielder undergoing a medical at the Premier League club.
The transfer could prove to be a risk if it goes ahead but manager Roy Hodgson has stressed the player is fit enough to revive his career.

Sunderland, meanwhile, are keen on Freiburg's 13 million-pound forward Papiss Cisse, with concerns over the depth of manager Steve Bruce's attacking options.
Bruce has only two experienced strikers to call on in Asamoah Gyan and Frazier Campbell - the latter of who is injured - but will have to act swiftly if he is to beat off rivals Fulham, Tottenham and Blackburn, who are also said to have expressed interest in the Senegalese striker.

Last edited: