• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

658800_33_preview.jpg

John Obi Mikel's father found alive

John Obi Mikel's father has been released by the kidnappers who abducted him 10 days ago, the Chelsea midfielder's agent confirmed on Monday.

Michael Obi, who runs a transport company, had not been seen or heard from since he failed to return home from work in Jos, the capital of Plateau State in central Nigeria, on August 12. He is thought to have been found in Kano, 180 miles north of where he was abducted and reports in Nigeria claim his abductors have been arrested by police.

Mikel's management company SEM released a statement confirming that the Nigerian international's father had been released. "SEM are delighted to confirm that earlier today Michael Obi called his family to advise them that he had been released by his abductors," the statement read.

"SEM have waited until now to release this information, to ensure that Michael was safe. John Obi Mikel would like to thank everyone in Nigeria, his family & friends, Chelsea FC & their fans & his agents for their total support during this terrible time. A full statement of the situation will be released by SEM tomorrow morning."

The statement does not reveal whether a ransom was paid. Michael Obi is reported to have told the BBC shortly after his release: "I am very stressed." Mikel continued to play for Chelsea during his father's disappearance, appearing in the Blues' Barclays Premier League opener at Stoke before their home 2-1 win over West Brom on Saturday.

Chelsea released a statement tonight offering their support for Mikel's family. "All at Chelsea Football Club are delighted that John Mikel Obi's father, Michael, has been found safe in Nigeria," the statement read. "Mikel has shown outstanding commitment and professionalism during this most difficult of times, and the club will continue to offer its full support to him and his family."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

660844_33_preview.jpg

Arsenal, City agree terms for Nasri

Samir Nasri is on the brink of finally joining Manchester City after Arsenal confirmed they had agreed terms with their Barclays Premier League rivals.

Nasri, who has been linked with City all summer, was given permission to travel to Manchester for a medical and to miss the Gunners' crucial Champions League play-off second leg at Udinese. Arsenal said in a statement on their official website, www.arsenal.com: "Arsenal can confirm that they have agreed terms for Samir Nasri to move to Manchester City.

"The 24-year-old midfielder, who has spent three years with the Gunners, has been omitted from Arsenal's squad which flies to Udinese this afternoon [Tuesday] and instead will travel north for a medical. "The move will be subject to Nasri passing a medical and formal registration processes." Nasri trained with Arsenal on Tuesday morning, fuelling speculation he would be in the squad for Wednesday night's game.

That would have cup-tied the France star, who started Saturday's Premier League defeat to Liverpool, and arguably would have decreased his transfer value. City have reportedly agreed to pay in the region of £24million for Nasri, who is out of contract at the end of the season and has refused to sign a new deal. That has ultimately forced the hand of Gunners boss Arsene Wenger, who insisted earlier this summer the midfielder would not be sold.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

641567_33_preview.jpg

Swansea extend Dyer contract

Swansea have tied yet another of their key players to the club after Nathan Dyer signed a new three-year contract at the Liberty Stadium.

The 23-year-old winger was set to be out of contract next summer but will instead remain with the south Wales outfit until the summer of 2014. The former Southampton man was a key figure in the Swans' promotion charge last term, securing the Supporters' Player of the Year award.

And he has started the new season in a similar vein, winning the man-of-the-match award in the goalless draw with Wigan, and Dyer admits agreeing a new deal was straightforward. "I'm really pleased. We've just got to the Premier League and I want to be part of things," he said. "It's a great club so I'm happy to be here. Talks went well and it was nice and easy to sign a contract.

"We've made massive strides as a club and I don't see why I should want to go anywhere else.
"I can learn my trade here and keep improving as a player." Dyer joins Ashley Williams, Andrea Orlandi, Angel Rangel, Joe Allen, Neil Taylor, Garry Monk and Tom Butler in agreeing a new deal, and he is hopeful that an encouraging display against the Latics on Saturday is a taste of things to come.

"I think we will do well this season," said Dyer. "First off, we wanted to achieve our Premier League status and now we want to stay there. "The rest is about progressing as an individual and hopefully I will keep pushing myself and become a better player.

"Everyone wants to stay, fight for their place and play as much as they can. "The fans have been with us on this journey to the Premier League - they have been outstanding - and we want to repay them by staying in the Premier League."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Monday 22nd August 2011

652947_33_preview.jpg

Kranjcar defends want-away Modric

Niko Kranjcar thinks Tottenham team-mate Luka Modric should not be vilified for wanting to leave the club for Chelsea.

Modric has been at the centre of a summer-long pursuit from Tottenham's west London rivals, who this morning were reported to have lodged a third bid of over £30million for the player. Spurs chairman Daniel Levy remains adamant Modric will not be sold, but manager Harry Redknapp's admission that the Croatian is not focused enough to be considered for Monday night's game at Manchester United has raised further doubts about his future.

Kranjcar is a close friend of Modric thanks to the time they have spent together at White Hart Lane and on international duty with Croatia. He thinks the 25-year-old playmaker should not be criticised if he chooses to move to Stamford Bridge because of the displays he has put in for Tottenham since his arrival from Dinamo Zagreb three years ago.

Kranjcar told the London Evening Standard: "It is his decision to make and something he has to go through with the club. No one deserves to judge him if he decides to go because he has given three fantastic years to the club. "I think as a friend you support them no matter what they decide to do. He has played every game with his heart and if he gets an opportunity or the club decide to sell him, everyone should support his decision.

It is his decision not ours and it's not up to us to convince him to stay or go."
Redknapp said on Sunday night that Modric would not be in the squad for Monday night's game at Old Trafford as: "His head's not in the right place." The Croatian may have played his last game for the club, but Spurs are notorious for doing their deals right up to the 11th hour of the transfer window so a transfer is still a distinct possibility.

Should Modric remain, however, Kranjcar thinks he will give his all. "If the club don't sell him he will continue to play his football for the club as always because he loves the game," the former Portsmouth midfielder added. "He loves it too much not to give his best. Everyone should expect him to give his all to the cause. I'm sure he will put in a great performance when selected."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

618639_33_preview.jpg

Sochaux lodge Newcastle complaint

French club Sochaux have asked FIFA to intervene after claiming Newcastle made an illegal approach to striker Modibo Maiga.

The Mali international has been conspicuous by his absence from Sochaux's squad since indicating his desperation to be allowed to talk to the Magpies.

But his current employers accuse Newcastle of speaking to 23-year-old Maiga without their permission and have confirmed they contacted FIFA on Monday over the issue.

A statement on their official website, fcsochaux.fr, read: "On Monday August 22, 2011, FC Sochaux-Montbeliard sent a referral to FIFA with the aim of obtaining (assurances) on the part of Newcastle United that they will stop their contacts with Modibo Maiga, who is under contract with FCSM until 2014.

"This (contact) is in violation of Article 18 of the current international regulations.

"This measure comes after Sochaux demanded without success, in an official manner and on two occasions, that the English club put a stop to their actions."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

631178_33_preview.jpg

Mata: I pick Chelsea over Arsenal, Spurs

Chelsea's latest signing, Juan Mata, slammed Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur's title chances, revealing he signed for Chelsea as "they did not compare".

According to reports in the Sun, the £26 million buy from Valencia crowed about his decision to join Chelsea, saying: " I want to come to England to win trophies- and that's why I accepted Chelsea's offer". To add insult to injury, the Spaniard mocked: "It was also a question of sporting achievement, not money. Arsenal and Tottenham were both interested in me but they did not compare with the Blues.

"I want the Premier League title and this is possible at Chelsea." Mata also revealed the Spanish connection helped, as Chelsea striker Fernando Torres did help make his mind up. "Fernando Torres helped influence my decision but speaking directly with Villas-Boas was the decisive factor", the star added.

"He explained how his style will be based on 4-3-3 and how important I will be to his plans. "Frank Lampard is a monster of a footballer to play alongside and the prospect of that is incredible." Mata also revealed he preferred to play in the blue of Chelsea, rather than the red of Arsenal or white of Tottenham. He said: "From being a little boy my colour was always blue."

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
finally Mata arrived rather than Modric.
altho not sure whether Mata can fit in well, i prefer Mata over Modric.:biggrin:
he can partner Torres.:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ok...

Man City signed Nasri, Chelsea signed Mata, the road is clear for Man U to sign Sneijder...hurry up!

Arsenal is now an eunuch...,.lost 2 balls...Nasri and Fabregas.

Left only di?k hanging...wa ha ha...

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this wkend manutd vs arsenal. are we goin to see red cards?:eek:

Arsenal will be like lambs waiting to be slaughtered by the Red Devils this weekend.... That's it.. We'll soon see the end of Wenger era... Nasri off to Man City... Who else for the Gunners..??? Depending only Wilshere and Van Persie..??? :confused: 3-0 to the Devils this weekend..

jw5

Loyal
Arsenal will be like lambs waiting to be slaughtered by the Red Devils this weekend.... That's it.. We'll soon see the end of Wenger era... Nasri off to Man City... Who else for the Gunners..??? Depending only Wilshere and Van Persie..??? :confused: 3-0 to the Devils this weekend..

Wilshere is injured. Gervinho and Song are suspended.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

660864_33_preview.jpg

Blackburn confirm Vukcevic signing

Blackburn manager Steve Kean has completed his fourth signing of the summer with the capture of Montenegro winger Simon Vukcevic from Sporting Lisbon.

The 25-year-old has signed a three-year contract, and although he has yet to collect a visa and work permit, it is hoped he will be available for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash with Everton at Ewood Park. "Hopefully he'll be back in the country some time tomorrow [Wednesday]," said Kean on Tuesday, whose side are at home to Sheffield Wednesday in a Carling Cup second-round tie on Wednesday.

"It's going to be difficult for him to be involved in (the Carling Cup) game because he has not even trained with us. "But if he comes back with all the appropriate paperwork then he will train with us on Thursday and Friday in preparation for the Everton game." It is understood Rovers have paid Sporting £2million for Vukcevic, who is his country's most-capped player.

Assessing Vukcevic, Kean added: "He is an exciting player who can play wide on either side. "As a character, when you meet him he is a very focused guy, takes his football very seriously. He likes to take people on, to be the guy who makes a difference, a bit of a match winner. "He is a very good player with lots of international games under his belt for a country in the top 20, so he has performed at that level at a consistent basis.

"He will give us a different dimension." In revealing it had not worked out well for Vukcevic towards the end of his time at Sporting, Kean said: "So he has decided to come to us, which is brilliant for us. "I've watched him a number of times live and if you can get the ball out wide to him and he can isolate a full-back, then it will be hard for anyone to stop him when he is on the run.

"That's exactly the type of player we have been after." Kean has also confirmed he is close to signing centre-back George John from Major League Soccer side FC Dallas. Rovers look set to pay a fee for John of around £1.2million to the MLS, who hold the player's contract. Personal terms are close to being finalised, with Rovers finally poised to fill the gap vacated by Phil Jones' £16.5million move to Manchester United.

To avoid the necessity of obtaining a work permit, John has travelled to Athens to collect a passport, with the 24-year-old holding dual citizenship as his grandparents were born in Greece. "All the paperwork with the MLS has been agreed, the player has travelled to Greece to get his passport, and hopefully he will be in the country either tonight or tomorrow[Wednesday]," said Kean.

"We've been tracking him through a scout based in the USA, we have had a number of good reports, and I've seen him myself on a number of occasions. "In times past I've been involved with a lot of American players - Eddie Lewis, Marcus Hahnemann, Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride - from my Fulham days.

"It's a very good market because you can get players who have great potential, who hit the ground running, and you can normally get them for a very competitive salary, and he fits the ball.
"He is 6'4", a commanding defender, he is quick, aggressive, and he has a really bright future." Kean is due to fly out of the country on Tuesday night in a bid to sign a new striker, although claims it is not Bosnian Nenad Ibisevic.

Another player also interesting Kean is midfielder Jimmy Bullard, whose contract is in the process of being terminated by Hull following an incident on a pre-season trip to Slovenia. "I've probably been linked with Jimmy because I met him on Sunday when he was out with his boy, and I had a chat with him and he was telling me about his troubles, and he could be available," said Kean.

"I had Bully when I was with Chris Coleman at Fulham, and he is a colourful character. "But I don't know how his fitness is, whether he has done a full pre-season. But he is a quality player when he is on his game. "It depends if we need somebody in that position, and if we have done our business and filled those slots, then it might not happen, but if we haven't, then you never know."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

655437_33_preview.jpg

Wigan secure trio with new contracts

Wigan trio James McCarthy, Emmerson Boyce and Ben Watson have all signed new contracts with the club.

Former Hamilton star McCarthy has committed his future to the north-west outfit for the next five seasons, with fellow midfielder Ben Watson penning a three-year deal. Defender Boyce, who is closing on the club's record tally of Premier League appearances, has signed for two years.

Latics manager Roberto Martinez said: "In any transfer window, all we often hear about are possible new arrivals and targets coming out of the blue and we can sometimes forget the importance of keeping a really competitive core of players at the club.

"We have been talking to several of our players and we are delighted to announce these first three, with hopefully more to come very soon. Having players commit their long-term futures provides the platform we need to build from.

"James is a young man with a very big future in the game, and it speaks volumes that he has chosen Wigan to carry on his football education. We are proud to have him as a Wigan Athletic player. "Ben has grown to become a key member of the team over the past 12 months and has shown great maturity on the field.

He is in the best moment of his career but I'm sure his best years still lie in front of him, here at the DW Stadium.
"As for Emmerson, what can we say? He is now in his sixth season at the club and is a true professional who continues to set the highest daily standards, he is an example to others around him and a true ambassador for Wigan Athletic."

McCarthy's superb goal against Blackburn was voted by fans as last season's Latics goal of the season, and the 20-year-old Republic of Ireland international has also been named Wigan's young player of the year for both seasons since his arrival.

"I owe a big debt of loyalty to the club and the gaffer for giving me the chance to prove myself in the Premier League, and I am really pleased to be able to sign this deal," he said. Watson has joined McCarthy as a key figure in Martinez's first-choice midfield after excelling in the latter stages of last season, and the 26-year-old said: "I'm looking forward to keep establishing ourselves further in the Premier League over the next few years and there's a real good feeling at the club right now.

"I've really enjoyed my time here and I just want to thank the manager, the club and the supporters for making me feel so welcome." Boyce's 134 top-flight appearances leave him just 11 short of Paul Scharner's club record and the 31-year-old said: "I'm delighted to sign for another two years, I've enjoyed the best years of my career here.

"There have been many changes during my time, but it's a great young squad at the moment that will keep improving. Thanks to all the supporters for sticking by me over the years!"

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 24th August 2011

655781_33_preview.jpg

Newcastle and Arsenal fined for melee

Newcastle and Arsenal have each been fined £30,000 after being found guilty of failing to control their players during the bad-tempered match on August 13.

Gunners forward Gervinho was sent off in the second half for striking Magpies midfielder Joey Barton after the pair had squared up following what the home side claimed was a dive.
Arsenal midfielder Alex Song will also serve a three-match ban for stamping on Barton's leg in an incident not seen by referee Peter Walton.

There was more bad news for both clubs today when the Football Association announced both had failed to control their players in a mass confrontation which led to Gervinho's red card. An FA statement read: "An independent regulatory commission today found both Newcastle United and Arsenal guilty of failing to control their players.

"The charges relate to an incident during their recent league fixture at St James' Park on Saturday 13 August 2011. "Both clubs denied the charge and requested a non-personal hearing. In each case, the charge was proven by the regulatory commission and both clubs have been fined £30,000."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 24th August 2011

579141_33_preview.jpg

Adebayor joins Tottenham on loan

Tottenham Hotspur have sealed the deal to sign Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor on loan.

The Togolese has been shown the Eastlands door after being informed he is not in the plans of Roberto Mancini for the season.

Having impressed in a loan spell with Real Madrid last season, where he scored eight goals, the former Arsenal forward has been continually linked with a move to Spurs.

Now according to The Daily Mirror, the 27-year-old has landed himself a lifeline by Harry Redknapp, who has offered him a loan deal.

Adebayor will now have a medical at the club before completing his move to White Hart Lane.

Spurs have reportedly agreed to pay a larger percentage of his £170,000-a-week wages than they were originally willing to splash out.

However, it will not be in time for him to make his Spurs debut against his parent club Manchester City on Sunday.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 23rd August 2011

657400_33_preview.jpg

Nasri completes Man City medical

Samir Nasri has completed his medical at Manchester City and is expected to finalise his move from Arsenal on Wednesday.

With just the final loose ends of his transfer from Arsenal needing to be tied up, it is understood the player's agent has flown in to complete a deal which got perilously close to being scrapped. Mystified at the inability to force through a deal that had been on the cards for most of the summer, Mancini would almost certainly have pulled the plug had Nasri been cup-tied for Europe by playing in Arsenal's Champions League qualifier with Udinese tonight.

However, after training with the Gunners on Tuesday morning, the north London club confirmed an agreement for Nasri's transfer had been reached and the player was heading north for a medical. It is believed that has gone through without a hitch, leaving Nasri free to complete his transfer and put himself in line for a quick return to the capital when City take on Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

The transfer also adds to the staggering sum Sheikh Mansour has invested in City since he completed his buy-out four years ago. This summer alone, Mancini has spent big on defensive duo Gael Clichy and Stefan Savic, in addition to splashing out a club record £38million on Sergio Aguero. Nasri's arrival will swell his squad even further, and cause more head scratching amongst supporters in debates over what Mancini's preferred line-up is likely to be.

The whole selection issue would appear fraught with difficulty given the huge reputations involved. Emmanuel Adebayor and Craig Bellamy head a list of players already told they have no future at City - but have thus far resisted the temptation to leave - and even then Mancini will have far too many players for the available places in his team.

However, after starting the league campaign with two impressive wins, Mancini only needs to think about tomorrow's Champions League group stage draw, when City are set to be named amongst the third seeds. On Saturday he will discover who his side's opponents will be in the Carling Cup third round to know why such options are essential.
"It is no problem for me," he told www.mcfc.co.uk.

"The problem is if you don't have good players. "For the manager it is not easy because all the players want to play every game. "But when you play in four competitions and have a match every three days, there is space for everyone. "Sometimes it is important that you rest. It is impossible to play a top game every three days. "And the Champions League is very hard. It is different from the Europa League.

"For this we need a good team, with good players and a good mentality." On the other hand, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admitted the constant speculation surrounding Nasri and Cesc Fabregas - who last week completed a move to Barcelona - has been "draining" for the team, who have made a disappointing start in the Barclays Premier League.

The Frenchman said: "The summer was very difficult because we had Cesc Fabregas and Nasri on permanent transfer negotiations and that is draining in the end. "We lost two great players and that's a sad side of the story but at some stage it has to be over, because you want to focus on the future." City have reportedly agreed to pay in the region of £24million for Nasri, who is out of contract at the end of the season and has refused to sign a new deal.

Wenger, asked if the timing of the transfer had anything to do with Nasri potentially being cup-tied for Champions League football if he featured against Udinese, added: "You cannot think only about one game in the season and the decision had a logic but it is of course, as well, a business interest. "But, overall, what you want is that you have players who do not play and think they go the next morning. It's not ideal as well.

"So you want players who are completely committed to the long-term, to defend our chances." Asked if it was naive to think the deal could have been finalised sooner, Wenger said: "It's not naive but what you forget maybe is that it doesn't depend only on us. "We wanted to sort all these cases out very early after the summer, but it wasn't possible. "And the pace is not only dictated by us, unfortunately."

Wenger is waiting to discover whether or not he will be able to carry out his managerial duties as normal against Udinese. He is set to serve a two-match ban for breaching the terms of an earlier suspension during last week's first-leg meeting with Udinese at the Emirates Stadium, where he passed messages to the dug-out, believing he had UEFA permission to do so.

Arsenal have lodged an appeal against the ban and have requested a stay of execution which would allow Wenger to take his place in the Gunners technical area Wednesday night. A decision on any delay to the suspension will be taken by the chairman of UEFA's appeals body at some stage. Asked if this was the most challenging time he had ever faced as Arsenal boss: "I believe that's part of my job. I'm not at all destabilised by that.

"Overall, my job is to give my best to do well for my club and that's what I do with complete belief in the team and the players I have available. "I think that's the best opportunity to show as well that we are good enough to fight for this club." Wenger has called for a solid performance from his side Wednesday night as they defend a 1-0 first-leg lead. "They're quick on the flanks, so I think we have to keep them quiet, especially (Mauricio) Isla on the right side, who's a provider.

"In midfield, of course, they have some good players, and (Antonio) Di Natale up front. "So, overall, we need a good, solid defensive performance. "But we have experience in the Champions League and that's a good way to use it tomorrow [Wednesday] night." Wenger revealed England midfielder Jack Wilshere has suffered a setback in his recovery from an ankle injury, but Tomas Rosicky is in the squad after overcoming a thigh problem, as is Johan Djourou (hamstring) and Armand Traore (groin).

Laurent Koscielny will not play after suffering a back injury against Liverpool at the weekend but could be fit to face Manchester United on Sunday.