• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Avoid these 5 places unless…

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Food queue is a friend and a foe. On one hand it is an indication, though not infallible, of the food quality, yet, it does what a traffic jam does to you – saps your energy, starves you and then turns you into a giant fireball of anger. And despite of cursing and swearing under your breathe never to foolishly spend most of the lunch hour anticipating instead of eating, there are some queues that draws you in time after time like a whirlpool. Who are they and what’s so great or special about their food?

Avoid these 5 places unless…

Hill-Street-Bak-Chor-Mee.jpg

Hill Street Tai Wah Pork Noodles
Blk 466 Crawford Lane #01-12
Tai Hwa Eating House 9.30am – 9.30pm,
closed on first and third Mondays of the month

The wait here is easily 45 minutes during weekday lunchtime and between 15 to 30 minutes even at 3 o’clock in the afternoon. People from the neighbourhood and office crowd from everywhere else arrive punctually everyday. What draws them is the combination of fragrant black vinegar and chilli in the dry version of bak chor mee. The boss prepares it bowl by bowl, ensuring that the standard is consistent. Everything else is also done to perfection – the noodles are al dente, the pig’s liver is soft and pink, and the minced meat is moist and flavourful.

Toa-Payoh-Rojak.jpg

Toa Payoh Rojak
Blk 51 Old Airport Road
#01-108 Old Airport Road Food Centre
12pm – 8pm, closed on Sundays

Don’t be fooled by the absence of a queue in front of the stall. Chances are, there are a couple of dozens waiting at their own table, with a queue number in their hand. Well, at least you get to rest your legs and eat food from the other stalls while waiting for your turn. Like Tai Hwa they prepare portion by portion, so that the ingredients (including the less common ones like jelly fish skin) are evenly quoted with their brilliant concoction of shrimp paste sauce. The contents come fresh, juicy, crispy and crunchy as they should be.

Lian-He-Ben-Ji.jpg

Lian He Ben Ji Claypot Rice
Blk 335 Smith Street
#02-199 Chinatown Complex
4pm – 11pm, closed on Thursdays

The rice is moist with a smoky aroma, the chicken is tender from head to tail and nicely flavoured with Chinese wine, and even the usually dry and chewy waxed sausages are soft. As all these are only possible with some elbow grease, so be prepared to wait for at least an hour.

yong-tau-fu.jpg

Xiu Ji Ikan Bilis Yong Tau Fu
Blk 335 Smith Street
#02-87/88 Chinatown Complex
5.30am – 3pm

You see the queue before you see the stall, and by the time you see the stall and go back to the end of the queue, it has gotten even longer. Patience and perseverance will yield you a bowl of Yong Tau Fu that is quite different from the rest. Firstly, it is sprinkled with freshly fried ikan bilis that gives the dish a savoury crunch. The four ingredients – tofu, stuffed beancurd skin, taupok and fishball – are handmade and wholesome. Lastly, the soup is light so it’s okay drink it all.

Chilli-Mee.jpg

Chong Cheng Chilly Mee, Prawn Mee, Laksa
505 Beach Road
#01-59 Golden Mile Food Centre
8.30am – 9pm, closed on Tuesdays

They are the only ones left, and that is a good enough reason to queue for it. Chilli Mee, many people of the older generations will have fond memories of it. It is basically noodles slathered with a mean chilli sambal made of over 10 spices and ingredients. But as its name suggests, the chilli – spicy, sweet, fragrant, not oily – is the highlight while the accompanying ingredients like prawns and pork ribs are not the best that you can get in town.

Sources: http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/news/avoid-5-places-unless-151130451.html

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
thank you for your recommendations and excellent reports.old uncle will try them....the crawford one is good! but $5 leh!!! The rojak is also good also $5! leh...how to eat everyday like this. old liao, cook sometimes at home. maggie mee will do lah.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
line up so long and take 5 mins to eat....usually i cant be bothered la.

you got the time like old uncle, you can afford to wait.the food is really worth waiting for! but getting more expensive and the queue getting longer and longer. the five stalls i think not that bad lah. not howlian...busy but not howlian..

the worst thing that can happen: the one before you order 10 taupaus!!! ...and then phone came it, order another 10 taupaus!!!...your gastric ulcer will bleed! ...and your lampar this time really cheng!!!!....

another good stall to queue and die for is the wantoonmee in Tiong Bahru hawker centre. Another nahbeh stall, you wait and thenhappily your turn comes! Nahbeh, the one in front of you order 15 packets!!!!!....THe lady serving you is quite grumpy and grouchy....never smile one...just collect money money and more money...But the charsiew worth dying for lah...shiok!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hill Street Tai Wah Pork Noodles

No comments as i dun like this type of Ba Chor Mee

Toa Payoh Rojak

overrated, same HC got Lao Pasat rojak can fight their standard.

Lian He Ben Ji Claypot Rice

Overrated and no value for money.
i think they purposely mde you wait to up the fame factor.
many stalls around same HC with same if not better standard.

Xiu Ji Ikan Bilis Yong Tau Fu

Dun fancy their brand of Yong Tau Hoo.....so so nia

Chong Cheng Chilly Mee, Prawn Mee, Laksa
used to have competitor next stall selling same shit but close down that probably helped them by default......dunno what type of hybrid noodles is chilli noodles.......taste like fuck

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you asked me to queue, it's as good as asking me to kill! I only queue for my love ones. Cos got love so i won't anyhow kill. :biggrin:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i agree. some of the famous stalls go queue long long after the advertisements and recommendations by makansutra, go and task like fart and wait long long some more...and worse still, the people selling damned howlian ok! ailahmehsau!!!! attitude damned shitty....

anyone got experience the famous prawn mee stall in cambridge? my friend said be prepared for some shitty treatment from the stall owners....i went okay lah....no smiles type...no see type...say your order and you wait like a fool like begging for your food...howlianism hor...first and the last...no need to go second time: no big deal. the howlianism kills even the best stall! tiohboh?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
ok...i go try one day when i around the area.

another good stall to queue and die for is the wantoonmee in Tiong Bahru hawker centre. Another nahbeh stall, you wait and thenhappily your turn comes! Nahbeh, the one in front of you order 15 packets!!!!!....THe lady serving you is quite grumpy and grouchy....never smile one...just collect money money and more money...But the charsiew worth dying for lah...shiok!

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i agree. some of the famous stalls go queue long long after the advertisements and recommendations by makansutra, go and task like fart and wait long long some more...and worse still, the people selling damned howlian ok! ailahmehsau!!!! attitude damned shitty....

anyone got experience the famous prawn mee stall in cambridge? my friend said be prepared for some shitty treatment from the stall owners....i went okay lah....no smiles type...no see type...say your order and you wait like a fool like begging for your food...howlianism hor...first and the last...no need to go second time: no big deal. the howlianism kills even the best stall! tiohboh?

I hate these kind of hawkers, ya ya papaya. Lim bei starve to death also won't eat, somemore have to queue. NAH!:oIo:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yes yes howlianism of the hawkers is the bane of the makaners. I never try the prawn mee there. If i wanna eat that i usually go Kallang hawker's

centre.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed. Queueing for hawker fare is a dumb Sinkie trait.

I'll make an exception for the Beach Road chilli prawn noodle though. But when I go, usually got no queue one leh. :biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i feel hungry looking at these posts.
you should just talk about the good one and ignore the bad one.
queuing for hawker fare is just training for the real thing, queuing for apple. This year we have iphone 5.

Clone

Alfrescian
Loyal
i feel hungry looking at these posts.
you should just talk about the good one and ignore the bad one.
queuing for hawker fare is just training for the real thing, queuing for apple. This year we have iphone 5.

No offense. Queueing for gadgets and games is even more dumb. :wink:

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
thats the one at telok kurau? That place got steady stream of customers but usually no long queue.

Agreed. Queueing for hawker fare is a dumb Sinkie trait.

I'll make an exception for the Beach Road chilli prawn noodle though. But when I go, usually got no queue one leh. :biggrin:

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chilli mee? haven't heard of that before. would love to try one day when the queue is shorter cos i love chilli and dried noodles.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rojak prefer the stall at a halal coffeeshop in clementi central, opposite the old NTUC. operate by two chinese uncles, taste good and price reasonable. Sometime need to queue but at least the uncles are friendly, make the wait worth it.

i never bother to see the signboard like u guys, nice i eat, not nice then fcuk it. Nowadays, hawker centre also self service which make me tulan, nebei had five persons inside the stall still have to self service. so unless no queue, if not, i wont queue no matter how good the food are. i rather pay more for more service.