• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

'At least $10': 'Fundraising gang' accused of pestering shoppers at Beauty World Centre supermarket for donations

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

'At least $10': 'Fundraising gang' accused of pestering shoppers at Beauty World Centre supermarket for donations​

6223_donation_shinmin.jpg

A 'fundraising gang' has been accused of soliciting donations within Giant supermarket at Beauty World Centre.
PHOTO: Shin Min Daily News

PUBLISHED ONJUNE 02, 2023 11:39 AMByKHOO YI-HANG

Would you give them money out of the kindness of your heart, or for them to go away?

In a post on the Facebook group Complaint Singapore uploaded on Tuesday (May 30), a user shared concerns regarding a group of young men that entered Giant supermarket at Beauty World Centre to seek donations two days prior.

"A customer was looking at the products on display when they were randomly stopped by someone… holding a bag and a file, asking for donations," the user wrote.

"The customer, together with his [group], left the place immediately, eventually leaving the supermarket while [waving dismissively] with his hand."

Speaking with reporters from Shin Min Daily News on Wednesday, several shop owners in the mall referred to the group as a "fundraising gang" that has been skulking around the mall for at least two years, usually collecting donations from people at the mall's entrance.

A 63-year-old female grocer, surnamed Chen, shared that the men looked to be in their 20s to 30s and would occasionally attempt to enter the supermarket to find their "targets".

Uncle who 'faints' on Toa Payoh walkway accused of faking it for money, 'chicken rice and coke'

She added: "I was asked to donate before — they would request that we donate at least $10. Once they found out I was a shop owner here, they stopped asking. They only ask members of the public to donate."

Another shop owner who declined to be named told the Chinese daily: "When the person refuses to donate, they would continue to pester them. I've seen many people donate money in this way."

Responding to queries from Shin Min, both the mall and Giant have expressed that the group does not have permission to solicit donations within their premises.

A spokesperson for the mall shared that the group has not contacted the mall nor applied for permit to collect donations in the mall, and that staff would usually instruct them to leave immediately.

"However, we are unsure if the organisation in question is a registered charity, or whether they have received a fundraising license from the authorities," the spokesperson added.

On behalf of Giant, DFI Retail Group informed Shin Min that no organisation has contacted them for permission to raise funds in the supermarket's premises.

Rental scam by 'property agent': 7 groups of 'tenants' show up at Toa Payoh flat to ask for refunds

The spokesperson also said that DFI is investigating the matter and has also strengthened vigilance against similar activities.

"We advise [fundraisers] not to approach our customers in the stores. Customers and their shopping experiences are important to us," the spokesperson stated.

"Customers who meet with such situations can contact our team who will assist the customer in resolving the matter in an appropriate and respectful manner."

[email protected]

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The supermarket should have reported to the police....it's illegal to solicitate for donations without a license, and they are doing it at a private premises...n it's obvious they are cheats...

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will tell all fundraisers and insurance agents lurking around shopping malls to fuck off and stop bothering me.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
lots of jiuhoopuborkias scamming singkie old people using this method

Those insurance mother fuckers would always lure you with some cheap door gifts like thumb drive, hp casing, pens etc to get you to follow them to the booth. I always tell them that unless they are giving out a gold bar, it's not worth 1 second of my precious time on them.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There's a fundraising gang camped outside the side exit of this place too.

Unlike the picture shown, they have put up some barriers which lead directly to the fundraising gang. What are those barriers for? Crowd control? Fighting Covid? LOL. :roflmao:

image.jpg

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a fundraising gang camped outside the side exit of this place too.

Unlike the picture shown, they have put up some barriers which lead directly to the fundraising gang. What are those barriers for? Crowd control? Fighting Covid? LOL. :roflmao:

image.jpg
Got Kwan Yin Mah Boh Bi