• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FairPrice counts on shoppers’ honesty at self-checkout counters when plastic bag charge starts on July 3

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Unpleasant consequences of supermarkets’ plastic bag charge​

AUG 18, 2023

The move by supermarkets to charge for plastic bags is leading to more unsanitary and unhygienic Housing Board estates and rubbish chutes.
In the Toa Payoh HDB estate where I live, unbagged waste is being thrown into rubbish chutes, leading to foul smells. Relatives who live in other estates have the same problem.
Supermarkets and their customers are also impacted by the plastic bag rule. Customers without their own bags and who do not want to pay for the bags can be seen walking home carrying bulky food items. Others resort to stuffing their pockets with the plastic bags meant for packing fresh produce.
At self-service checkout counters, other customers and cashiers have at times given me long, hard stares whenever I carry five to 10 plastic bags during my grocery shopping trips. Once at a supermarket, three cashiers in five minutes accused me of stealing eight plastic shopping bags that I had paid for. They apologised after I showed them my receipt.
Instead of making the world greener, the new plastic move is creating new problems. People are helping themselves to the bags meant for produce, while those who buy the bags are looked on with suspicion.
There is a better solution. Disposable, biodegradable bags made from corn starch and lactic acid have been available since the 1990s. They have much smaller carbon footprints than either plastic or even fabric bags.

Eric J. Brooks

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
some retailers want 10 or 20 cents a bag. I visit shops that don't charge for plastic bags.

I also switched my supermarketing to smaller supermarkets that need not charge the plastic bags, eg. U stars.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's just a cash grab by being part of the globalist anti-carbon 'sustainability' cult. All in the name of 'saving the planet'.

The PAP technocrats are cocksuckers for the demons at the UN and the WEF etc, so this isn't a surprise.