• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AssMRT Wastes Money But U Pay for It!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Active map for trains: A waste of money
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to last Saturday's article, 'MRT trains to get active map system'. The new map will feature a light for each train stop to show travel progress and a flashing light will indicate approaching stations.
The new map system will cost SMRT $12.7 million. This is a waste of money for something so unnecessary.
Currently, commuters can already hear announcements of approaching stations. And until recently, they could also see the station name on signs at each station. But now, these signs are obscured by advertising panels across the top portion of each window panel on many trains.
I suggest SMRT simply remove the advertising panels and save the $12.7 million. Otherwise, commuters will once again have to bear the cost with an increase in fares.
As a commuter, and in these hard times, I prefer to be able to see the station name on arrival, rather than pay higher fares for some extra blinking lights on a map system that is perfectly adequate. This is the kind of marginal increase in commuter experience low-income Singaporeans can do without. Monica Cheang (Ms)

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary i rather like this system, and it's used in many first-world cuntry trains. But they should have also spent on platform barriers and more trains; they should never have crammmed the stations with silly storefronts.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary i rather like this system, and it's used in many first-world cuntry trains. But they should have also spent on platform barriers and more trains; they should never have crammmed the stations with silly storefronts.
This lady CEO is from retail business background. So she was brought in to open up the retail scene on the various MRT station.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
HK is already using this for ages. Another thing is there are more exits from the MTR. Their exit is label using alphabet A, B, C letter... Passenger can see this letter from far and move toward the direction.

I guess SMRT will follow that approach later and spend another few millions to change the sign board.

evisionary

Alfrescian
Loyal
When commuters complaint that people are hogging on seats and not giving them up to those really in need.

They take away those seats for more standing space so that you can't complaint anymore.

MORE trains with about a third of their seats removed will ply the MRT tracks from next week, even as commuters yesterday said they found the trains no less crowded as a result.

An SMRT train with 84 of its 300 seats taken out made its debut 1-1/2 weeks ago.

One such train will be added to the network every week from next week, so that by the end of January, 10 modified trains will be in use along the SMRT's North-South and East-West lines during the morning peak hours.

Trains on the North-East Line are unaffected by this change, which the Land Transport Authority (LTA) says aims to give standing commuters more space.

The intention is not to fit more people on the train, it added.

But that seems to be what is happening. Nine of 10 commuters travelling during yesterday's morning rush hour told The Straits Times that they did not have any more room while standing.

And then when the crowds thinned, some stood, longing for a seat.

Customer service officer Sunarti Rohijan, 37, takes an hour-long ride every morning from Bukit Gombak to Tampines, and usually gets a seat from City Hall.

She said, as the train pulled into Aljunied station: 'It is not much different when it's crowded at Raffles Place and City Hall, but now, when it's emptier, I still have to stand all the way.'

Asked whether SMRT planned to roll out more than 10 trains with 84 fewer seats each, its chief executive Saw Phaik Hwa said she was aware that some people liked to have seats.

'So if you remove too many seats, people will say: 'Wow, why no seats?' So I think it's a balance of the two,' she said.

LTA said it was tracking the situation.

In an e-mail reply yesterday, it said that while some people preferred the seats to stay, others have said that their priority was to be able to board the train during the peak hour.

Removing some seats would thus raise people's chances of boarding the train and give standing commuters more room, it said.

[email protected]

Please let them do what they want! Before they remove those bars too.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary i rather like this system......

Its a matter of prioritising needs. How is this going to to improve crowded trains? Its something like EMAS, those electronic sign boards are kinda useless as there no alternatives to the express ways.

There must be some glc tie-in thats going to get the contract$$$ :rolleyes:

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<The new map system will cost SMRT $12.7 million>>

How does this amount come from? Is it pluck from the air? And the passengers are asking them not to spend this amount but rather lower the transport price. Of course it cannot be done as the figure is pluck from air!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
When commuters complaint that people are hogging on seats and not giving them up to those really in need.

They take away those seats for more standing space so that you can't complaint anymore.

we will have incidents of grandma and grandpa fainting in the MRT soon...PRESS THE STOP BUTTON!!