• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are private hire taxis killing a people’s future?

Taylorshit

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Benjamin Chiang

The article below was drafted in reaction to this report on ChannelNewsAsia: "Flexibility, being your own boss, decent income: Why younger people are working as private hire drivers."

There are some people who are against the trade of private hire for this reason: they think it kills an individual’s employability and retirement adequacy.

Devadas Krishnadas posted the following on his LinkedIn page: “These jobs (referring to gigs such as private hire driving) have no professional value. Even plying the roads consumes vast amounts of energy… yet these drivers refer to themselves as their own bosses.

“In truth, the real beneficiaries are the ride hailing companies all gunning for blockbuster IPO listings. Drivers constitute a free labour force for which they have no responsibility or liability.”

“While a number of drivers drive on a short term basis, for an increasing number it is becoming a long term proposition. As time passes and they continue driving their employability get eroded.”

Devadas thinks that drivers are being made used of. That long-term exposure to gigs, such as private hire driving, would reduce their employability and eventually see them completely being wiped out when technologies such as driverless cars replace them.​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/06/are-private-hire-taxis-killing-peoples.html

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Devadas Krishnadas posted the following on his LinkedIn page: “These jobs (referring to gigs such as private hire driving) have no professional value. Even plying the roads consumes vast amounts of energy… yet these drivers refer to themselves as their own bosses.”​
Grab Driver: "I love my job after I got retrenched. I am my own boss and drive when I feel like it. Nobody tells me what to do."
Passenger: "Slow down, stop talking, pay attention to the road and take a left turn at the next traffic junction".

Truthspeak

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most PMEs are using Chat GPT to assist in their work. Soon, employers will be able to get by with 1/2 their current headcount.
They usher AI aggressively, wanted people to embrace it and yet sheeple still jump into this rabbit hole. They are courting their own death

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Able to use AI Tool at work is about productivity. Less headcount and more free time.

We work harder but lesser.

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
look at the big picture....our young are turning into grab drivers, grab food deliverers...
our old are turning into food centre cleaners, tissue sellers....fuck pap

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grab Driver: "I love my job after I got retrenched. I am my own boss and drive when I feel like it. Nobody tells me what to do."
Passenger: "Slow down, stop talking, pay attention to the road and take a left turn at the next traffic junction".
Food delivery also same. Get to Pick your client base some more.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
By Benjamin Chiang

The article below was drafted in reaction to this report on ChannelNewsAsia: "Flexibility, being your own boss, decent income: Why younger people are working as private hire drivers."

There are some people who are against the trade of private hire for this reason: they think it kills an individual’s employability and retirement adequacy.

Devadas Krishnadas posted the following on his LinkedIn page: “These jobs (referring to gigs such as private hire driving) have no professional value. Even plying the roads consumes vast amounts of energy… yet these drivers refer to themselves as their own bosses.

“In truth, the real beneficiaries are the ride hailing companies all gunning for blockbuster IPO listings. Drivers constitute a free labour force for which they have no responsibility or liability.”

“While a number of drivers drive on a short term basis, for an increasing number it is becoming a long term proposition. As time passes and they continue driving their employability get eroded.”

Devadas thinks that drivers are being made used of. That long-term exposure to gigs, such as private hire driving, would reduce their employability and eventually see them completely being wiped out when technologies such as driverless cars replace them.​

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2019/06/are-private-hire-taxis-killing-peoples.html

Many Grab drivers earn $200 a day or $5000 a month. That's good pay.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
look at the big picture....our young are turning into grab drivers, grab food deliverers...our old are turning into food centre cleaners, tissue sellers....fuck pap
Pay And Pay doesn't give a fuck so long as the $$$ keeps rolling into their bank accounts.
Parliament.jpg

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many Grab drivers earn $200 a day or $5000 a month. That's good pay.
You are referring to a PHV driver's gross income i.e. the total amount he earns. His net income i.e. actual business profit after expenses and allowable deductions are removed, is far less.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You are referring to a PHV driver's gross income i.e. the total amount he earns. His net income i.e. actual business profit after expenses and allowable deductions are removed, is far less.

Too bad for him then. He should have studied harder in school. Then he would have been able to hold down a permanent job without getting retrenched permanently.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too bad for him then. He should have studied harder in school. Then he would have been able to hold down a permanent job without getting retrenched permanently.
I know of many talented ex-classmates from secondary school, JC and NUS who were laid off because of downsizing, ageism and cronyism when an incoming CEO "cleaned house" of the existing management team to make way for his former colleagues. It is not a matter of these older PMEs not upgrading or upskilling themselves; they were victims who fell off the cliff in their late 40s or 50s, with no way back to a white collar position.