• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Another 12 poisoned. Shd Yaacob step down?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>The big question now, though, is how to prevent a recurrence of such an incident. For this, Mr Goh said three parties have to play their parts.>

Just blame the rats lah!...RATTUS NEA!

>The second group of people whom Mr Goh said have to play their part are hawkers and food handlers. They have to practise proper food hygiene. >
Like we or NEA doesn't know...

>One idea he suggested was the use of hand sanitisers used widely in hospitals. >

Rental is already expensive...

>The third group of people whom Mr Goh said have a part to play in preventing food poisoning is the average Singaporean, who has to practise proper personal hygiene not just at home but also in public places. >

Blame the people lah!, they are dirty, unhygenic...what have the patrons got to do with this?..I can be unkempt, dirty looking eating in a five star restn..does it mean that I will contaminate the eating establishment?..wtf!

lesser mortals must not eat out....is it?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its baffling - Mr Wong shld investigate if this is a suspected terrorist attack - how come both cases happen in Geylang? Suddenly the kways there not safe liao? all these while, there is a risk of getting AIDS if you eat kway in Geylang, now, eat rojak and steamboat also not safe.

for a moment i thought i am in China where I have to fear for food safety. Thanks to FTs, first Indian now Chinese for introducing bacteria....or are we too vulnerable because we live in a too sterile environment?

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
for a moment i thought i am in China where I have to fear for food safety. Thanks to FTs, first Indian now Chinese for introducing bacteria....or are we too vulnerable because we live in a too sterile environment?

<style></style>Here is another theory.Just look at both the steam-boat and Indian rojak similarities.Both are prepared and kept in the open air.Both have stuffed ingredients that are rapidly bio degradable like sea food.Both,,that is one goes into hot oil and the other goes into hot water only at the last minute.There is no guarantee that the ingredients stuffed inside gets cooked or organism breeding killed.Hence if the rats are not guilty than the AVA is.Some bastard had sold contaminated food,most likely sea food, to both the hawkers in that vicinity.

I am pretty sure many more hawkers could have bought from the same source.But perhaps their cooking methods could have killed the bacteria or organism that caused food poisoning.

The sad fact is all wet markets located in all slum areas like Geylang and Jurong gets contaminated food dumped.Its an open secret even vegetables and other food items seized by AVA for contamination find its way to markets like Geylang ,Serangoon and Jurong where its sold where coolie workers live.And its not cheap either.

Geylang Serai wet market is particularly targeted for sales of contaminated food.Malays living here are in the lowest rung of the social order.The very reason why that area attracted foreign coolies too.Sea food such as fish,prawns and etc are sold the cheapest in Geylang Serai market.And they stink terribly.Something one would not encounter in Tiong Bahru or Kreta Ayer wet markets.

The moral of the story?Do not live where peasants live.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
NEA should have hand washing posters posted in food prep area like these ones can save life:
3198577158_f3715ecf07.jpg

CNY_OX09

Alfrescian
Loyal
all responsible should be penalised.
no bonuses for them this year,demote and fine for being incompetent.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought Yaacob says he won't allow this to happen again!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/421703/1/.html

12 suffer food poisoning after eating at same restaurant in Geylang

SINGAPORE: There has been another case of mass food poisoning, also in the Geylang area.

The Health Ministry said it was notified on Saturday of 12 cases - all of whom ate at a steamboat restaurant BaShu RenJia at 233 Lorong 9, Geylang Road on Friday evening.

All were treated as outpatients.

The ministry and the National Environment Agency (NEA) are investigating the incident.

He doesn't seem to be doing a good job, last year was the dengue epidemic, this year is the mass food poisoning. What is doing?

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
3237466689-2-more-struck-by-food-poisoning-after-eating-at-geylang.jpg

2 more struck by food poisoning after eating at Geylang restaurant

<cite class="auth">Channel NewsAsia - Monday, April 13</cite>
SINGAPORE : Two more people have come down with food poisoning after eating at the steamboat restaurant BaShu RenJia in Geylang on Friday,
bringing the
total number of cases to 14.

<script language="javascript">if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object(); window.yzq_d['xgMHE3xsfDI-']='&U=13f8lhpgm%2fN%3dxgMHE3xsfDI-%2fC%3d708750.13248203.13481552.2013436%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d5677271%2fV%3d1'; </script><noscript>
b
</noscript>Two were hospitalised, and one of them has since been discharged The case comes hot on the heels of another mass food poisoning case involving a rojak stall at Geylang Serai Temporary Market. The steamboat restaurant operator said that after the incident on Friday, five officers from the National Environment Agency (NEA) came to collect food samples for testing.

A joint statement from the Health Ministry and NEA said that they did not detect any hygiene lapses likely to be linked to the food poisoning, after conducting checks on the premises. And so while the shop will remain in operation, the operator has advised its customers to ensure their food is thoroughly cooked before consumption. However, 13 of its food handlers have been sent for screening at the Communicable Disease Centre. The place, which has a "B" grade for hygiene, said it has since beefed up its level of cleanliness. Wu Xiao Ju, worker, said: "After the incident, we cleaned every corner of the place. It has been cleaned thoroughly. Our ingredients are fresh and the food items are prepared every day. And we use detergent to clean the tables, floor and walls." The restaurant said it received many calls from concerned customers following the incident. Business has since dropped by half, but some customers are still patronising the place.

One customer said: "I am confident of the food quality at this restaurant. I am not worried at all." The restaurant said some customers who are not used to the spiciness of the steamboat could end up with upset stomachs. Channel NewsAsia spoke with Wang Zhen Hui, one of the people affected by the food poisoning. He and seven others were hit after eating at the place Friday night. Mr Wang ended up in hospital. He said: "When I was at the hospital, I met this stranger. He was on the bed next to me. He had the same symptoms. He also ate the steamboat that night. So I guessed it could be the plates because they felt very oily." He was discharged on Saturday afternoon to recuperate at home while his friends received outpatient treatment. — CNA/ms

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
passed by the steamboat earlier, surprised to see it open, only 2 tables had customers, ah tiong staff all looked very sad, geylang seemed quiet tonight. fresh ingredients my ass, those ah tiongs who ate on friday probably took leftover food from few days back, seeing how bad business is.

have seen a few foodcourts with dirty and oily utensils as well, sim lim foodcourt being one of them... and former cineleisure basement, good that it's under koufu now.

alot of ah tiong workers going home to china, and the rest here are tightening their belts, unlike sinkies still spending, so expect to see some of these ah tiong steamboats close in coming months...

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
passed by the steamboat earlier, surprised to see it open, only 2 tables had customers, ah tiong staff all looked very sad, geylang seemed quiet tonight. fresh ingredients my ass, those ah tiongs who ate on friday probably took leftover food from few days back, seeing how bad business is.

<style></style><style></style>Fact sheet.

Ah Tiongs & Banglas coming from slums are hardy people.Their stomach can digest anything.Their immune system damm good.So when wholesalers dump contaminated food for coolie consumption the coolies escape.Only when the same contaminated food finds its way to the locals.The locals succumb.Ever notice no foreign coolie reported for food poisoning in Geylang?

Moral of the story?If you eat food meant for foreign coolies,you should go for some training first.:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<style></style><style></style>Fact sheet.

Ah Tiongs & Banglas coming from slums are hardy people.Their stomach can digest anything.Their immune system damm good.So when wholesalers dump contaminated food for coolie consumption the coolies escape.Only when the same contaminated food finds its way to the locals.The locals succumb.Ever notice no foreign coolie reported for food poisoning in Geylang?

Moral of the story?If you eat food meant for foreign coolies,you should go for some training first.:biggrin:
I think SAF also partly to blame. Last time where chow recruits are cooks, their hygene is also not that fantastic, our NS men still survive. I still remember stories where there are sand in the mess tin during fieldcamps and they still eat and we still grow and remain healthy.

Nowadays SAF with SFI catered food, suddenly our immune system is weakened, seemingly fit NS man can drop dead, eat rojak and steamboat genna food poisoning - like that how to fight war?

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The recent mass food poisoning cases is Gayland shows that those foreign trash (prostitutes and Banglas) are to blame because those foreign trash visit Gayland frequently for sex and food. These foreign trash are the culprits of littering and making the food centres dirty. The foreign trash hawker assistants also hold money and food with the same hand, don't wash their hands frequently and the stalls are seldomed cleaned. I don't hear of cases of mass food poisoning in places like Bedok, Hougang or Tampines where there is small numbers of foreign trash around as compared to Gayland.

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
Health Minister gives S'pore a poor grade in hygiene
Sun Apr 12 2009
Ho Lian-Yi
The New Paper

khawsk.jpg

Birds eat on uncleared plates --TNP PICTURE: KELVIN CHNG

Singapore, April 11, 2009 - TWO have died. Forty-eight have been hospitalised. Five are still warded. More have been treated as outpatients. One stall, 154 victims.

It's the worst case of mass poisoning involving hawker food here.

On Thursday, Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan gave Singapore a poor grade in hygiene.

'During Sars we were very good, maybe 9/10. After Sars, I think we have dropped to maybe 5/10 or worse,' he said.

Complacency had set in, he added.

A borderline pass or fail grade must surely prompt our hawkers to wake up. But will they?

Yesterday afternoon, when Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim visited Geylang Serai Temporary Market, he said he agreed with Mr Khaw.

'We cannot tolerate it, and I hope hawkers and hawker centres will take this as a wake-up call and step up, and improve their hygiene standards,' he said.

Dr Yaacob pulled no punches.

Rats scurrying around
'Our job here is to get to the bottom of the incident. We want to find out who is responsible and what are the causes - to prevent this from happening.

'And we will go after the person responsible.'

Be serious
Don't get us wrong. We love our hawker food.

But when 'A' for taste and 'F' for hygiene adds up to RIP for some, this spells tragedy with a big 'T'.

So, Mr Hawker, it is time to take hygiene checks seriously.

Many of you do not even display your hygiene rating signs.

Yesterday, we found out that the son of the Indian rojak man, at the centre of the mass poisoning, allegedly didn't even give his father the latest hygiene grading from the National Environment Agency (NEA).

The story: When Rojak Geylang Serai boss Sheik Allaudin Mohideen, 70, moved to the Geylang Serai Temporary Market from the original market, which closed in 2006, his stall's rating was 'B', for good.

In 2007, his grading was revised to 'C', for average.

No grading signs
So NEA, following usual practice, gave the stall a new label. It was passed to his eldest son, one of two sons working for him.

Mr Khoo Seow Poh, director-general of public health with the NEA, said: 'His son, apparently, didn't tell his father, so his father didn't know.

'So the father thought it was always 'B'. And they can't find the label any more.'

In 2008, the shop was again graded 'C' for hygiene, but no new label was given, as there was no change.

Why did the son keep quiet? Was he scared of his father's wrath, or did he simply not care?

Surely he must have known that food operators are required to post their hygiene grade prominently, or risk a fine up to $2,000 and two demerit points?

But punishment is toothless without enforcement.

How could Mr Allaudin's stall have got away with not displaying the proper grade for so long?

The answer: The inspector did not notice the label during checks last December.

If only this was a one-off thing, an anomaly.

But when The New Paper visited 18 hawker centres on Wednesday, we found that only about eight out of every 10 stalls had displayed the grades.

That means 20 per cent didn't.

The excuses: Lost lah, don't know I have to put up lah, even accidentally left it home lah.

When was the last time you went a week without eating at a hawker centre?

I personally can't remember. It is so much a part of our life.

Food is Singapore's national past time.

Yet only recently I found myself staring at a stallholder, who was 'spring cleaning' by spraying insecticide into a cardboard box.

Cockroaches were swarming out, helter skelter.

It was like a scene from a horror movie.

A reporter from the Chinese press, one of many who have descended on the Geylang Serai market the last few days, also found the six-legged critters everywhere.

'There were young cockroaches, old cockroaches, big ones, small ones, every sort of cockroach you can find,' she said.

But cockroaches are small fry compared with rats.

On Thursday night they caught another 53, in addition to the 69 the day before.

Why did it take a death (in this case, two deaths), and intense NEA attention, before effective steps were taken?

In hawker centres everywhere, you see birds feed and poo on uncleared plates at hawker centres, as patrons tuck into their daily fare at nearby tables.

We have all heard the horror stories or seen with our own eyes food workers who go to the washroom without washing their hands afterwards.

Or handle cash and food with the same hand, or glove, rendering that piece of hygiene equipment merely cosmetic.

Many hawkers lack or don't even care about basic hygiene knowledge.

Are they aware of the many ways that bacteria can lead to food poisoning? (Take a look at our graphic.)

Do they teach their foreign helpers?

The NEA is educating the hawkers - but are the hawkers paying attention?

Wake up, Mr Hawker.

Hawkers won't take this seriously unless consumers and public agencies also put pressure on them.

We're sick to the stomach with dirty practices. But we also love our hawker food - it's a national treasure.

Die die must eat. But when people really start dying, it's time for all of us to wake up.

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is one minister telling the other..."Please get your act together as it is also affecting my area of responsibility. I don't want any additional negative public perceptions to spillover from your ministry to mine. Thanks but no thanks, I already have my own plate full of rojak!"

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is one minister telling the other..."Please get your act together as it is also affecting my area of responsibility. I don't want any additional negative public perceptions to spillover from your ministry to mine. Thanks but no thanks, I already have my own plate full of rojak!"

There is another possibility ....pls read this post below.

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap"> denzuko1
user_offline.gif
<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_212440", true); </script>
Alfrescian (S)
</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td valign="top" nowrap="nowrap"> Join Date: Jul 2008
<fieldset class="fieldset"> <legend>My Reputation:</legend> Points: 52 / Power: 13
reputation_pos.gif
</fieldset>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- / user info --> <!-- message, attachments, sig --> <!-- icon and title -->
icon1.gif
Re: Mabroky Kena Fcuked for Being Greedy
<hr style="color: rgb(152, 152, 152); background-color: rgb(152, 152, 152);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Nice-Gook
I smell a rat.Is the recent food poisoning saga a prelude for future hawker-centers to be built for tenders?Everytime something happens it becomes an excuse for PAP to 'privatise for profiteering.Mabrok Tan should know.

.An old uncle told me big fires were deliberately started in kampongs to make way for HDB in the olden days.Now HDB pigeon holes cost you a leg and a arm.Similarly with Singtel,MRT,PUB and etc.Privatize,privatize privatize.Which essentially means taking out from the left pocket and putting back into the right pocket....Charging more.

The cat is now out of the bag.Wet markets are tendered now.Soon hawker centers will follow.So what was all this fuss about food poisoning in Geylang Serai.Was it actually a posturing to privatize hawker centers for profits?Me wonder...

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
May be its Marlboro who sent in his rats?:biggrin:

Just like the case of Beauty World. The people refused to shift into the Beauty World Complex. Then just by coincident a fire incident and a few houses were burnt down. After that the Garment order everyone to move into Beauty World Complex. The old Beauty World area is still vacant till now, part of it an open air car park.

There were rumours that the Garment sent some one to start a fire to justify the move.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
NEA is only good for catching people who litter in public places. They have earned hundreds of millions from this practice. Where do they get so many people to do the catching? Of course the same people that should be checking on foodstalls for hygiene.

Truly, it is you die, your business.

And the newly French chef, the second at NEA still had the gall to say that his subordinates are so good that they can work without him for five weeks or longer!

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
NEA is only good for catching people who litter in public places. They have earned hundreds of millions from this practice. Where do they get so many people to do the catching? Of course the same people that should be checking on foodstalls for hygiene.

<style></style>Again I smell a rat.

Malay minister traditionally had always been given the garbage collection ministry.So nothing new.But the way our shitty times aka 254th went about denouncing hygiene standard in sinkie got to be read between the lines.When Mas Selamat escaped the same shitty times was giving us the bull.The same minister screwed up woodlands check point till today.Yet not a word from shitty times.

I speculate our minister melayu could have fall out from old fart's grace.What say you?