• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Alex Tan's speech at Hong Lim Park a success (Check Youtube comments)

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) TheCybergoddess (8 hours ago)

Alamak. Like ah long runner sia. Always looking at handphone, scared big boss call issit? Liddat also got people pay $1,000 for elections? OMG.

2) notmysdp (10 hours ago)

Alex, from what I see, your speech lacks sincerity. Other than complaints, you proposal to compromise GDP is so unfounded.

Also, you mean you want Singaporeans to travel down all the way to watch you read from script for 10 minutes? You're worse than foreign lecturers dude.

3) ps07857 (11 hours ago)

he is reading off a script.... and he is perspiring like crazy!

4) Botannia (11 hours ago) Show

Alex, do take up a public speaking course. This is an encouragement.

(Dear Mr Alex Tan, you have the balls to speak in public, but you obviously didn't prepare well for your speech. Go watch youtube videos of Mr Chiam See Tong!)

Last edited:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQlOETGGAsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQlOETGGAsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Kids don't try this at home. The person shown in the video has supervised training and under no circumstances should his actions be replicated.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just give the guy a break lah, he looks very young and green still, a few more times and he'll be spitting all over the place.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed, give the guy a break. He's still wet behind his ears, but give him another 5 more speeches he'll be less wooden than Goh, another 20 more speeches, better than LHL; and after another 50 years, he'll be more eloquent than LKY. Give the man a Tiger!

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The biggest problem with this guy is not his speech. It's his ego.

In terms of speech he is below par but better than some candidates I have seen, even PAP ones. Heck, I think he does better than Eric Low. It's the ego that will kill him because he is young and has a long way to go, not like a 50 plus guy who enters politics and can run 2 elections. For someone well aware that he has no public speaking experience, he has not sought advice, trained or organised a group of speakers with him, but instead goes alone and gets a film of himself well knowing it was his maiden speech. Tan Kin Lian was there and could have joined in. In other words he wants the attention around him and not his party or others.

In terms of courage, of course you have to give to him but so has 100 hundred others who spoke there before. There is not an ounce of difference in courage between those who spoke as part of a slate of speakers and him. Formerly Think Centre and TOC would always get a group so that the weaker, less experience speakers can be in front and the key speakers behind so that no single individual or the whole organisation is blackened.

His ego will kill him someday, that's for sure.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Perspective,

I wonder if this Alex guy knows he's not necessarily doing SDA a favour by sauntering in and brandishing his ego and unilateral style of obsessive self-hype in this manner.

Sad that Temasek Review appears to be drumming up all his antics but then again credibility is not exactly one of that website's concerns.

I don't think this guy is ready to be a team player -- a crucial quality for a member of any opposition party.

The biggest problem with this guy is not his speech. It's his ego.

In terms of speech he is below par but better than some candidates I have seen, even PAP ones. Heck, I think he does better than Eric Low. It's the ego that will kill him because he is young and has a long way to go, not like a 50 plus guy who enters politics and can run 2 elections. For someone well aware that he has no public speaking experience, he has not sought advice, trained or organised a group of speakers with him, but instead goes alone and gets a film of himself well knowing it was his maiden speech. Tan Kin Lian was there and could have joined in. In other words he wants the attention around him and not his party or others.

In terms of courage, of course you have to give to him but so has 100 hundred others who spoke there before. There is not an ounce of difference in courage between those who spoke as part of a slate of speakers and him. Formerly Think Centre and TOC would always get a group so that the weaker, less experience speakers can be in front and the key speakers behind so that no single individual or the whole organisation is blackened.

His ego will kill him someday, that's for sure.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQlOETGGAsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQlOETGGAsU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Kids don't try this at home. The person shown in the video has supervised training and under no circumstances should his actions be replicated.

LoneRangerTPBMassCover.jpg

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perspective,

I wonder if this Alex guy knows he's not necessarily doing SDA a favour by sauntering in and brandishing his ego and unilateral style of obsessive self-hype in this manner.

Sad that Temasek Review appears to be drumming up all his antics but then again credibility is not exactly one of that website's concerns.

I don't think this guy is ready to be a team player -- a crucial quality for a member of any opposition party.

Afraid I have to agree with you. It's like someone trying to drive an F1 car when he does not have a driving licence. Others can say he's braver than Schumacher or Montoya. I can only say it's their right to their opinion.

For starters he made a speech without freaking out, stuttering or being too nervous so I would say his base potential is quite high. Then again, the same ego might prevent him from improving. I have seen people shiver on stage to the extent of peeing to becoming Obama like months later. He won't become one of them because they were not stubborn or tried stunts.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

Not so much Ego, but to much anger and angst. Not good traits in any politician. Ego's in any politician is a given, so for any politician the question is not so much about ego but the extent of self awareness and a ability to reflect and listen.

Locke

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

Not so much Ego, but to much anger and angst. Not good traits in any politician. Ego's in any politician is a given, so for any politician the question is not so much about ego but the extent of self awareness and a ability to reflect and listen.

Locke

I don't think you know the definition of ego. There is always Wiki and online dictionaries if you don't mind.

Ego is an inflated sense of self-importance and the antonym is altruism. There are low profile politicians and high profile politicians. Low profile politicians can't be egoistical. You can say all humans are egoistical but at different levels if you want to be dogmatic but I'm not into semantics. An ego person wouldn't be someone of "self awareness" and "ability to reflect and listen" so you are being oxymoronic here.

There isn't anger and angst in Alex, unless you know him. I conclude by dissecting his modus operani. Maybe you can read his inner disposition.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Am I watching the same video and reading the same transcript?

The stunt of reading a 10-minute speech from a handphone is stunning. It is also very resourceful.

There is intellectual content and style in the speech. It's so precise and concise that I thought the speaker might have received help. Nonetheless, the delivery was smooth and clear by any yardstick.

It must have shamed certain quarters where talent and gumption are sorely missing.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

My views of this have been clear from the very start. I have no illusions about low profile politicians nor do I necessarily hold them in higher regard than higher profile politicians. The "English" and the "Professional Definition of Ego is stated below."

My basic belief is that an Ego is part of the job description of being or wanting to be a politician whether high low mid whatever and the job description of a politician necessarily demands a larger than life ego. that said an ego in my view is neither good nor bad, and not by definition necessarily over inflated.

In fulfillment of that ego, politicians in their own ways will seek the stage they are most comfortable. Alex has chosen a certain manner and so does Low or for the matter SL as I would put it but a low profile does not not mean a lack of ego and historically some of the lowest profile politicians in history had some of the largest egos.

Locke
"n modern English, ego has many meanings. It could mean one’s self-esteem, an inflated sense of self-worth, or in philosophical terms, one’s self. However, according to Freud, the ego is the part of the mind that contains the consciousness. Originally, Freud used the word ego to mean a sense of self, but later revised it to mean a set of psychic functions such as judgment, tolerance, reality-testing, control, planning, defense, synthesis of information, intellectual functioning, and memory. [1]

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I hope you meant to be sarcastic here.

He kept looking down at his handphone resulting in the speech being jerky and loss of eye contact with the audience. I've seen secondary school students do the same thing with their tarot cards when delivering address at the morning assembly.

Am I watching the same video and reading the same transcript?

The stunt of reading a 10-minute speech from a handphone is stunning. It is also very resourceful.

There is intellectual content and style in the speech. It's so precise and concise that I thought the speaker might have received help. Nonetheless, the delivery was smooth and clear by any yardstick.

It must have shamed certain quarters where talent and gumption are sorely missing.