• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

AFF Suzuki Cup

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
malaysia still in this year's aff cup. spore go home liao. so much for saying s league better than m league.

Uruguay and Netherlands both got further in the 2010 World Cup then England, does that mean their Domestic league is better then the BPL :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bring back the Malaysia cup days...play against the Malaysian states - like that the players are more motivated, the fans will come. And send 2 teams instead...one main team and one feeder, like that you have a crop of 20 - 30 players playing regularly and you can groom talents from there. Singapore is so small, we are not a sporting nation (compared to Denmark who have about the same population). We don't need a local league.

Like that, the fans will pack the stadium, you have money in the coffers. Come on, now that SIN-Mudland relationship is hot, strike a deal...gosh, i miss those Malaysia Cup days...u really feel patriotic shouting "referee kayu"

Bring Back Malaysia Cup also will not get back those great days of yesterday. The Stadium will never be packed again.

Who want to watch Malaysia Cup D grade standard of football now when we can have A grade EPL in the comfort of our living rooms or coffeeshops and pubs.

Many things in life, 不能从头再来.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Uruguay and Netherlands both got further in the 2010 World Cup then England, does that mean their Domestic league is better then the BPL :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

==

the problem with England is:

a) all their players only play domestically. lack of international exposure. in fact, i think only England is like that...all their players don't play overseas....(only a sprinkle)...

b) the pressure on their shoulders is too much for them to handle & cope. it is not only this WC...Euro Cup also, everyone placed too much expectations on them.

c) Dutch league is actually a very good breeding ground for talented players...Ronaldo (the ailen) is from there...Ronaldino...there are many others....

d) and of course, we can always blame the fatigue of the players....but largely i believe, its the huge expectations on them...

i can tell you - the next WC in Brazil, the England will also be f**k up...

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at the end of day, we must create an environment where players can be motivate and play competitively...look at the indon league...only like that the overall standard can improve. Sure, some M_league teams are crap..but KL, Selangor are strong teams.

I don't think U have been keeping up with the M-leauge progress recently. The kelong situation in the M-league has gotten from bad to worse. On top of that the S-league teams have consistently done just as well if not better then the M-league teams during AFC competitions which proves that the S-league teams are at least on par if not better then the M-league teams. So why in the world would we want to bring our National team down 1 level and play at Kampong league standard level. It's not going to improve the standard of our national team.

Despite what others say, the results speak for themselves.

M-League days:
We were the whipping boys in Asia
Never made it past the first qualification rd of any tournament
Never won a single title(not even a SEA one best we did was a SEA Games Sliver)

Post M-league:
Beat Iran
Beat Iraq
Draw Australia
Draw China
Kept Japan to no more then a 1 goal loss every time we met

Miss out on the qualifying for the Asian Cup by a single pt
Made it to Rd 2 of the World Cup qualifier

Won the Asean Cup 3 times

With the exception of ill fated the Jan Poulsen years, the national team has been doing pretty OK after we left the M-league

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bring Back Malaysia Cup also will not get back those great days of yesterday. The Stadium will never be packed again.

Who want to watch Malaysia Cup D grade standard of football now when we can have A grade EPL in the comfort of our living rooms or coffeeshops and pubs.

Many things in life, 不能从头再来.

===

true..but at least its not as pathetic as the attendance now in S-leagues...10 clubs that dilute the attendance...

and if they schedule the matches on non-BPL days....they might work...

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
===

true..but at least its not as pathetic as the attendance now in S-leagues...10 clubs that dilute the attendance...

and if they schedule the matches on non-BPL days....they might work...

Which proves again that you know nothing about the S-League. Many of the matches are played on Weekdays to avoid the clash with BPL days

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal

u think the citizens of netherlands and uruguay happier that their team get into semis/finals in world cup than england? or you think england fans happier that the bpl is better?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

having a better league proves nothing. just spend more $. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro...

kelong exist everywhere ...even in BPL...when there are punters, there are kelongs.

yes...we beat Iraq, Iran...what are the medals / cups that we have won? If we continue to take solace in the "milestones", we are never going to progress. For me, these are milestones...but they are not achievements - in sports, its the number of titles / cups you win not who you beat along the way to winning nothing.

How do you explain you beat Iraq but fail to beat Philippines...yes, we beat iraq on home soil...

If you look at this Suzuki cup this year, strongest team to be fielded...no age restriction - Vietnam, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore...how difficult? For a team that beat Iraq - don't forget Iraq went on to win Asia cup - kudos for a team from a war-torn country.

We drew Philippines, lost to Vietnam...ok, Vietnam is very strong, playing at home...but if we have beaten Philippines and Myanmar, against Vietnam is dead rubber.

So, its either kelong or there is something wrong.

We hold China at home 0-0 but we got thrashed in the return leg. we are supposed to hold Palestine to a draw (or win) to qualify, what happen? We choked.

No, during M cup days, we are not whipping boys...we are second only to Thailand in SEA...ok, all other teams have progressed ...have we?

the standard of this national team is not going anywhere from what I see.

We always wanted a SEA games gold...during M league days and after...but we never did manage to secure one.

Our previous wins at Asean Cup is suspect...seriously....

why i suggest bringing back M-league ...is to create an environment for players to play together, dev teamwork, understanding, and to learn to play under hostile environment.

yes, maybe certain teams r crap in M League...but who is to say Selangor won't raise their game when playing Singapore? kelantan's crowd being hostile?

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which proves again that you know nothing about the S-League. Many of the matches are played on Weekdays to avoid the clash with BPL days

congrats to you for knowing a lot about s league. thumbs up. really interesting to see the massive crowd supporting s league week in and week out. definitely one of the best league in asia. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

===

why yes...but the attendance is crap why? Sordid playing levels...lack of motivation to watch.

:biggrin:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
congrats to you for knowing a lot about s league. thumbs up. really interesting to see the massive crowd supporting s league week in and week out. definitely one of the best league in asia. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

==

they brag...one of the top 10 Asian league...

i suspect we are behind :

Korea, Japan, China, Indon, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, UAE, Saudi, HK...

definitely not top 5....

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal
===

why yes...but the attendance is crap why? Sordid playing levels...lack of motivation to watch.

attendance crap? how could it be? you mean they cannot or never mobilise ns boys to fill up the stadium:biggrin: what about the sponsors throwing in free tics + nasi lemak? you mean they already doing this and yet the stadium is empty? :eek:

huahero

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lion+-+Batia+Teeth.jpg

Toothless Lion!

Suzuki in hokkien "Lose Lose Go"

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
attendance crap? how could it be? you mean they cannot or never mobilise ns boys to fill up the stadium:biggrin: what about the sponsors throwing in free tics + nasi lemak? you mean they already doing this and yet the stadium is empty? :eek:

actually to be fair...the intentions to create a Singapore league is noble and yes, we should have one. Ideally, it should be vibrant, with good football....and if we only have S-league for 2 years and we have today's performance, i will also acknowledge, yes, lets give some time...

But alas, looking at S-league's development along these years, its not consistent and due to many reasons, it is not working - why?

FAS needs to sit down and study this and come up with solutions....if S-League is not generating revenue, not improving the overall quality of the Singapore team...come on, if we today, still rely on 36-year old Duric to score goals, something is seriously wrong....

Do we either: a) play in M-league -yes M-league as Bro Char has said, have its cans of worms b) reduce the number of teams in the league to 4 - 5 c) allow promotion / demotion

We always have lofty ambitions, the ministers like to aim high....if today we are Indonesia or Philippines whose government not really into sports or pushing it...ok...but since the government is pushing...then something have to be done.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
==

they brag...one of the top 10 Asian league...

i suspect we are behind :

Korea, Japan, China, Indon, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, UAE, Saudi, HK...

definitely not top 5....

We are no longer the top 10 leagues. The top 10 are not judge base on standard of the football alone, its also about the organization, infrastructure and how it is run. The reason why we dropped out of top 10 is 1)low attendance and 2)Foreign teams in the league.

===

I think the attendance can be put down to the availability of the EPL. During the early days of the S-league, the attendance was actually pretty good. And then they started having every freaking EPL and other European league matches on TV easily available 24/7.

And I don't believe the Bullshit about the level of Football in the S-league being the cause of it. The old M-league used to be just as lousy if not more so and the S-league attendance actually went up the first couple of years so you cannot blame the current state on the standard of the football alone.

Even I stopped watching after the collapse of my "local" club Tanjong Pagar/Tiong Bahru United. I still keep up with the news and watch a match or 2 from time to time though

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
the S-league should be renamed as P-league (pariah league)... infestation of foreign clubs.
the national team is better recognized as united nations... infestation of foreign trash.

they call them the lions, the way they play on the field look more like merlion.
images

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FAS needs to sit down and study this and come up with solutions....if S-League is not generating revenue, not improving the overall quality of the Singapore team...come on, if we today, still rely on 36-year old Duric to score goals, something is seriously wrong....

you don't anyhow minus Duric age. Bros here said he is 40+ years old. :p

I think Singapore is too small in population to fill out the football stadiums. The lack of support are also because peasants don't feel emotionally attached to the Football Clubs, the Clubs are Aliens to the Residents living nearby. We have 12 Clubs, only 1 Club is named after a GRC constituency.

I read somewhere, a S-League fan complained that the Football Club that play at the Stadium beside his HDB estate changed 3 times in the last 5 years. How do one develop an affinity with those Football Clubs like that. :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From top leagues like BPL through middle leagues like J-League to bottom leagues like M-League, there's one thing in common. All clubs are based on locales. This promotes and inculcates a local support base with loyalty. S-League is practically half-dominated by GLCs (in this case government-linked clubs), i.e. SAFFC, Home United, Young Lions.

I suggest a restructuring and redistribution of the clubs with a GRC system, geographical representation clubs. SAF and Police football teams should revert to what they were meant to be, recreational sports for soldiers and policemen. The excess budget should be channelled through MCYS to localised clubs deserving it as grant.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From top leagues like BPL through middle leagues like J-League to bottom leagues like M-League, there's one thing in common. All clubs are based on locales. This promotes and inculcates a local support base with loyalty. S-League is practically half-dominated by GLCs (in this case government-linked clubs), i.e. SAFFC, Home United, Young Lions.

I suggest a restructuring and redistribution of the clubs with a GRC system, geographical representation clubs. SAF and Police football teams should revert to what they were meant to be, recreational sports for soldiers and policemen. The excess budget should be channelled through MCYS to localised clubs deserving it as grant.

Eh, do U even know the names of the clubs in the S-league? Most of them are named according to where they are playing at, Geylang United, Woodlands Wellinton, Gombak FC. Want to take a guess where Gombak FC plays :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The original concept was just that, every location have their own clubs. Due to financial constraints, some of the clubs started to collapse. The best example I can give you is Tanjong Pagar FC(Tiong Bahru FC) which was based at Queenstown Stadium, the stadium closes to my house. I watch them play while they were active and kept getting into the top 3 during the early years of the S-league.

And then they ran into financial troubles and the club close down, no team have taken over since and I stopped watching coz it was not convenient for me to travel to other stadiums. I think 2 or 3 other clubs were having the same issue at that time and closed down until the S-league revamped it's financial structure and got Foreign teams in to fill up the gaps

And I disagree on Home United and SAFFC, both should stay as they are, they have been playing long enough for others to know about existence and there is already an existing org runnning the club so best not to break it. Furthermore SAFFC is one of the most successful club in S-league history. It's as good as asking Man U or Liverpool to break up in the BPL. If anything, all they need is to change the name of the team to associate with the repective stadiums

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And then they ran into financial troubles and the club close down, no team have taken over since and I stopped watching coz it was not convenient for me to travel to other stadiums. I think 2 or 3 other clubs were having the same issue at that time and closed down until the S-league revamped it's financial structure and got Foreign teams in to fill up the gaps

That's why I suggest channelling grants to them, the deserving ones at least.

And I disagree on Home United and SAFFC, both should stay as they are, they have been playing long enough for others to know about existence and there is already an existing org runnning the club so best not to break it. Furthermore SAFFC is one of the most successful club in S-league history. It's as good as asking Man U or Liverpool to break up in the BPL. If anything, all they need is to change the name of the team to associate with the repective stadiums

I'm happy to agree to disagree to the extent of differences in our opinions. I do agree with a name change, but more than that, they should also be delinked and independent from the ministries.