• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
XDORuT9.jpg

NP0mXgE.jpg

sbAtDUq.jpg

MAgci0F.jpg

aGJuIZy.jpg

iA4jXd3.jpg

Ggrr9pa.jpg

JJjJwJy.jpg

6h1hzfH.jpg

NnmB4t7.jpg

yyYVxyE.jpg

fBTpoCh.jpg

dcJpXTL.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
One of best pho I've ever eaten outside Vietnam, 241 Swanston Street, name of the restaurant is MEKONG. A very busy restaurant once you enter you will smell the fragrance of the pho soup.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this place was cool too lots of weird niggers i suppose it's easy to obtain bodies in thailand for exhibition

mass murderer si quey

SLBAE3E.jpg

Uddl9Bq.jpg

weird shit

LVg2eF1.jpg

TTbZOlq.jpg

i4knijH.jpg

CtBbggH.jpg

LOcGZ71.jpg

CWK5Vsi.jpg

mmD2p9I.jpg

p5h3etq.jpg

zrmkh6B.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Coming home now. It's good to be back for real spicy and authentic asian food

Hell it's good to get free tickets from my mileage points

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiang Rai is part of the old Lanna kingdom which was defeated and then annexed by the Siamese. Language is different, written script (nowadays only used in temples) is different, people are different. 8 provinces make up the Lanna North: CR, CM, Mae Hong Son, Prae, Lampung, Lampang, Phayao and Nan (sorry if spelling's not right - writing this from memory - can't be bothered to google it). Some of these provinces existed only recently - back then it was I think just CR and CM. For example, Phayao (supposedly the most beautiful girls are from here) split from CR to form a new province 30 years back.

When you hear females use "chao" instead of "kha" and "nu" instead of "chan", you know they are from the north.

Some images from a recent visit.

When it gets cold, a favourite dish is Chim Chum - like a hotspot. While it does get chilly, it isn't really that cold unless you're in the mountains but everyone takes the chance to "dress up" in "winter" clothes.

IMG_1371_zpsf8c34f75.jpg

Not uncommon to sit on floor and eat in public.

IMG_1523_zpsb9143f6f.jpg

Lanna banner's everywhere. It's called "tung". Different colors signify different events.

IMG_1456_zpse95549c3.jpg

Thais love to dance. Here's a mass line dance in a circle in a park (Suan Tung Lae Khom)

IMG_1520_zps8cdeb951.jpg

Northern girls are, on the average, very pretty. Here's a girl selling Som Tum at the Talad Thesaban (Municipal Market)

IMG_1377_zps0f896f8b.jpg

Chiang Rai landmark: the Clock Tower

IMG_1386_zpsf908e547.jpg

Famous seller of a desert called Bua Loi, at the Night Bazaar. She has a line that averages 20 people at any time. Bua Loi is like our BoBoChaCha. Coconut cream, glutinous rice balls, some coconut flesh

IMG_1470_zps6ad1fa13.jpg

Here's what it looks like

IMG_1469_zps98e36738.jpg

Stayed here:

IMG_1406_zpsc16a0809.jpg

Balcony View overlooks the Kok River:

IMG_1415_zps850d87e2.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Roti, interesting stuff from north. Got a soft spot for northern delights too, and yes ...Lanna populace are proud of their heritage, with distinct folk music too

Some pics from my new year sojourn to Chiangmai and upper Mae Rim with MonCham on the side

Before Mae Rim junction, quaint and charming kao soi restaurant. And coconut still grated by hand by old man owner