• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Okay, this is the Thai Thread and I have NO Business to be here. I say KapunKraBB ..sAWADEEKAh...

Who says you don't have business here? You had contributed to this thread before I am sure and will always be welcome here anytime. Sawasdee krup.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
just came back to sg from bkk via TG 409 last night. hell man, the whole waiting area was like little india and arab street!

yo joey, how do u attach big, nice pictures? i got a lot from my travelling, wanted to post them on.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
just came back to sg from bkk via TG 409 last night. hell man, the whole waiting area was like little india and arab street!

yo joey, how do u attach big, nice pictures? i got a lot from my travelling, wanted to post them on.

I use photobucket very used to it.

SadPlumpGirl

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's almost 2 now still counting sheep, sigh

Oh dear...hope you are awake and alive now...next time try Gotu kola (Centella Asiatica) is a herb that has a documented anxiolytic effect and although not primarily used for sleep, may be somewhat helpful.

It's called bai bua bok in Thai. You can grow it at home, and at the market you can buy bunches of it, or already prepared decoctions (nam bai bua bok) at some stalls - the decoction is dark green and tastes of clorophyll. Try to get it without added syrup (gkin dip, mai sai nam chueam).

[video=youtube;aEdM_tugDjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdM_tugDjQ[/video]

By the way, the term anxiolytic is now commonly replaced with the term anti-anxiety medication. Both terms refer to drugs, and sometimes herbs that are used to combat anxiety or panic disorder. Many anxiolytic drugs are also used to help promote better sleep, but primary use, as the name implies is to promote a state of calm.

Last edited:

rotikosong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally reserved a car through Avis Pattaya. 1200B/day incl. CDW insurance for a 1.5A Vios. Apparently they will bring the car to (and pickup as well) where you are staying. Will call them to make sure, but this is a great service. They also give you 4 extra hours to return past your deadline.

Going to Rayong for a couple of days in Dec - not sure what's down there - will find out when I get there unless others here have suggestions.
Going to chill at a beach resort so looking forward to doing absolutely nothing if I can help it.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1 week late pics from Loy Krathong festival up north in Chiangmai (river bank Ping river)

Lantern thingy

D25D21DB-3855-4608-A49A-E042BBCA7B17-200-00000018AC6E8751_zps444ebf52.jpg

Dragon boat (sorry lousy pic quality)

29797E6B-A728-4066-93F7-B8338771B535-200-00000018B0F3D2E3_zps7c7fe791.jpg

Krathong with incense

53A435DE-E2F7-4EBC-882F-D101C5173B11-200-00000018B722E372_zps382e5768.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...next time try Gotu kola (Centella Asiatica) is a herb that has a documented anxiolytic effect and although not primarily used for sleep, may be somewhat helpful. It's called bai bua bok in Thai. ..now commonly replaced with the term anti-anxiety medication. Both terms refer to drugs, and sometimes herbs that are used to combat anxiety or panic disorder.
joetys said:
almost 2 now still counting sheep, sigh
Good sex is best therapy, release endorphins. Tried and thrusted from origins of time :p

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Finally reserved a car through Avis Pattaya. 1200B/day incl. CDW insurance for a 1.5A Vios. Apparently they will bring the car to (and pickup as well) where you are staying. Will call them to make sure, but this is a great service. They also give you 4 extra hours to return past your deadline.

Going to Rayong for a couple of days in Dec - not sure what's down there - will find out when I get there unless others here have suggestions.
Going to chill at a beach resort so looking forward to doing absolutely nothing if I can help it.

Hey roti you are a northern expert so good you come to central for some new discovery. THB 1,200 is a great deal I must say. Rayong's beaches are nicer than Pattaya for obvious reasons like less people, less polluted and also I must say the foreigners there more atas. Popular thing to do there is to visit Samet Island can do a day trip but then if time too short can skip. Rayong is also a popular province for foreign direct investments and lots and lots of factories like out Tuas/Jurong but much much bigger. Let me know when you're here.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Last week I was in Singapore and my last meal before I left was bah kut teh at ION food court. Supposed to be the famous Balestier Bak Kut Teh.

Everything looks good here but I must comment looks are deceiving: soup is warm and not hot ; soup taste is nothing special (AMK Ave 1 marlet is much better) ; pork knuckles also not fragrant enough and chopped into small pieces should have served whole but then they not so honest because its halved. Ok ok I must say the nuts and giamchye are nice that's about it.

If the soup is served really hot things could be a little different and I may not complain about the bill

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
OMG...50 bucks for BKT! That's expensive.

For the amount of food ordered and for the place, it is still very reasonable.

When I go down to the Balestier Road coffeeshop, it is about the same - just a few dollars and less.And the ambience is really bad...fighting for seats...and the old lady still wears a grumpy unhappy face! and the bakchoe lady still very kuanlan....this bkt stall in Balestier okay lah...a bit on the expensive side. the man is ok....