• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Mathematical Question of Our Reserves

mwjng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Folks, I need ur help to clarify something.

I have heard countless times that Temasek Holdings now have $100 Billion (pre financial crisis) and this is because of the good investment practices that achieve an average 18% annual return since 1974.

Being a straight maths thinker, I did a simple Excel spreadsheet and work backwards from 2008 to 1974 and decrease Temasek's S$100B by 18% and guess what?

It seems that in 1974, we only have $300 million in Temasek's funds. I wonder if we can dive into the national archives to proof that that's the case that we worked up the funds from $300 million to $100 billion. We should also not include all the CPF and tax payers funds injected into Temasek funds because these are not earned (as declared by our ministers time and time again).

Anyway we can do an audit to verify the claims?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

I have heard countless times that Temasek Holdings now have $100 Billion (pre financial crisis) and this is because of the good investment practices that achieve an average 18% annual return since 1974.

Being a straight maths thinker, I did a simple Excel spreadsheet and work backwards from 2008 to 1974 and decrease Temasek's S$100B by 18% and guess what?

It seems that in 1974, we only have $300 million in Temasek's funds. I wonder if we can dive into the national archives to proof that that's the case that we worked up the funds from $300 million to $100 billion. We should also not include all the CPF and tax payers funds injected into Temasek funds because these are not earned (as declared by our ministers time and time again).

when the late Mr. Ong T. C. asked about our reserves when he was the elected President of the Republic of Singapore, he was told this mammoth project would require some 50 odd man years. we're only passed a decade or more. do you want to wait another 40 odd years? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually, this figure is a problem. Remember, more money has been taxed into the fund and more government enterprises, were corporatized, still into SOEs for the portfolio.

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Check out the following:

Portfolio Value since Inception (http://www.temasekholdings.com.sg/TemasekReview/2008/Portfolio-Value-since-Inception.html)

As at 31 March 2008, our net portfolio market value was about S$185 billion or US$134 billion.

The changes in market value of our portfolio over the years reflect both the performance of the underlying investments and the effects of external events. For example, the listing of SingTel in 1993 contributed to the biggest single-year rise in portfolio value, while the Dotcom Correction of 2000 caused a sharp fall in the global equities market, followed by another downturn from the 9/11 attack in the US.

Starting with an initial portfolio of S$354 million, or US$134 million, inherited from the Singapore government in 1974, we have seen additional asset injections particularly in the early 1990s when the government decided to liberalise the provision of basic services.

The book value of our portfolio increased steadily over the years to S$144 billion, driven by the strong earnings of our portfolio companies and returns from our investment activities.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

TV2008112422090200.jpg

NO! What's your ulterior motive? *zzzz*

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
this is state's secret. cannot tell anybody about our financial state and our financial strategy. just trust us.just believe in us. we are rich. every month i feel very rich.so everyone should feel very rich.no worry...the next 10 years will be lean years....and don't worry we have plenty of reserves to buffer these lean years...

maybe one day, we all shout together: mederka!!!

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is a huge blessing that President Nathan refuses to have any thing to do with RESERVE,even though his job is actually ONLY to look after RESERVE for that 3 million salary p.a.!

What a funny first world country!

tommyh

Alfrescian
Loyal
US gov just hired pricewaterhouse to handle accounting for their US$700B bailout fund. Auditing GIC or Temasek is chicken feed

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this is state's secret. cannot tell anybody about our financial state and our financial strategy. just trust us.just believe in us. we are rich. every month i feel very rich.so everyone should feel very rich.no worry...the next 10 years will be lean years....and don't worry we have plenty of reserves to buffer these lean years...

maybe one day, we all shout together: mederka!!!

When the masters feed on steak after getting a 19% reduction in annual renemumeration, which comes to $2,430,000 annually; while the 'plumber beng' is out of work, with zero income!

Can we shout togther and say, "Majullah"!:wink:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
better not?

if the truth are out. our sinkies dollar will collapse into worthless paper.

did you watch matrix
ignorance are bliss.

take the blue pill.

even if all the money is gone, you still have the pigeon hole.

golden

Alfrescian
Loyal
if the reserve has 100 billion, divided this among 4.5 million citizens,
each will get 22.22 millions. is this the right figure?

if each citizens have this amount, they just put this in FD in banks and live on the interest for the rest of their life and dont have to work..

singapore become the first country in the world where its citizen do not have to work..each just spend and enjoy life...like that, the PAP is always in power and dont need to have elections..cause..all is happy..

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't mix up reserves with investments. IMF only recognises gold and deposits as reserves which amount to US$168 billion.

Not much of either is CPF money, because you must remember that almost all of the CPF money is paid to HDB, Hong Leong, Far East and Capital Land.

And to be objective, 18% is good, but not nothing extraordinary which needs to be questioned.