• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sinkies Agree That Singapore The Garden of Eden! Oppies Keep Thinking Sinkies' Reserves Are Unlimited! Want To Keep Emptying The Reserves!

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keep the Reserves as state secret is bullshit
Even President Ong Teng Cheong was denied the information.
Only few privilege individuals in SG have the access, so aristocracy
No wonder umbrage was appointed to sink NOL, Temasek was already thinking of disposing

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
20230816-cna-_lee_hsien_loong.jpg

SINGAPORE — Singapore has enough reserves “for most circumstances”, but it would be the "biggest misconception" to think that will always be the case with the country's spending needs already outpacing revenue growth, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Mr Lee also said he is “anxious” about continuing to build the reserves for as long as possible. The country’s fourth-generation (4G) political leadership is aware of the growing spending needs, as well as the need for Singapore to provide for that “in a sustainable way”, he added.

The Prime Minister was speaking to CNA in an extensive interview on the country's reserves.

He described the reserves as a “great source of comfort and reassurance” that provides Singapore with “one extra card to play” should it run into a tough spot.

The Government does not disclose the full size of the reserves to protect national interests and prevent speculative attacks on the Singapore dollar.

When asked how much is Singapore's reserves, Mr Lee said: "I can’t answer that question. It’s enough for most circumstances. It’s enough to give us a substantial support in the Budget every year contributing to the Government’s revenues."

The country first tapped its reserves in 2009, taking out S$4.9 billion to support the economy through the global financial crisis. Over a decade later, it drew on the reserves on three separate occasions during the Covid-19 pandemic between 2020 and 2022 — using S$40 billion in all.

“Fortunately, we had the resources and we could do it,” said Mr Lee. “It’s a great blessing.”

But the “biggest misconception” that Singaporeans can have about the reserves is that “there is such a thing as enough”.

“How much is enough? If I have more than that, I can spend it. If I have less than that, well, maybe I hope we get there,” he said. “I don’t know how much is enough.”

“Before the global financial crisis, we didn’t think we will need anything. When (it) came, it turned out we needed S$4, S$5 billion. When the Covid-19 crisis came, in the end we needed S$40 plus billion. So you have no idea how much you will need.”

And Covid-19 is “far from the worst thing that can happen” to Singapore, he cautioned. Hence, the “more productive way” to look at the reserves would be to think of it as “rainy day money”.

“If it’s not raining, I don’t touch it. If it’s a sunny day and I can afford to, I put a little bit more into it,” he said.

“However much there is, I keep on having this attitude that I would like to build it up a little bit more when I can, so that the next generation will be in a more secure position than I am today.”

'A GARDEN OF EDEN'
Asked if he is afraid of losing the reserves, Mr Lee replied: “I am proud that we have built it up and I’m anxious that we keep it like this for as long as we can.

“Because it’s one of those things — once it’s gone, it will never come back again.”

Singapore’s fast economic growth in the 1970s and in the early 1980s, alongside large fiscal surpluses and rising incomes, had allowed the “possibility of putting aside some of this prosperity for a future rainy day”.

Today, Singapore is “not as poor as we were before”, with higher incomes and living standards. But putting aside 2 to 3 per cent of its gross domestic product to build up a sovereign fund from scratch would be “very hard”, Mr Lee said.

“The economy will not be able to take it. But at that time, our economy could take it and our forefathers had that prudence and the foresight to do it and we are the beneficiaries,” he said.

“So I think we need to be very, very conscious that this is a Garden of Eden state. You are here, it’s marvellous. You may not always feel great, but please be aware this is the Garden of Eden.

“Because if you come out from it, you can’t go back in again,” said the Prime Minister.

He said the 4G leadership is “very conscious” of how spending needs will outpace returns from the reserves.

That is one of the reasons why the Goods and Services Tax (GST) had to be raised — from 7 to 8 per cent at the start of this year, followed by another increase to 9 per cent next year.

“But it will not be the last call because our spending needs will continue to grow,” said Mr Lee. “We are going to be a superaged society by 2030 and we have to make sure that we provide for ourselves and in a sustainable way.”

Unlike other countries that have not provided for this scenario and have run up debts that may be more than 100 per cent of GDP, he said Singapore has both time and political determination to do what is needed.

“And I think the 4G leaders understand this,” Mr Lee said.

The challenge is to make sure that Singaporeans also understand that the reserves are a “valuable asset” that needs to be treasured.

“You can use it when you need to, but don’t fritter it away. Because (when) it’s gone, it’s gone.”

Contribution from the reserves, or the Net Investment Returns Contribution (NIRC), forms the largest contributor to the Government’s coffers, accounting for about one-fifth of revenue each year.

The NIRC framework allows the Government to spend up to 50 per cent of the net investment returns on net assets invested by GIC, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and Temasek, and up to 50 per cent of the net investment income derived from past reserves from the remaining assets.

Contribution from the reserves amounts to about 3.5 per cent of GDP, Mr Lee said, adding that this is more than what is currently being spent on any ministry.

In terms of revenue, the NIRC has overtaken other forms of taxes, such as corporate and personal income tax, as well as the GST. Without this, other forms of taxes will have to be raised even more.

“It’s an important contribution. I think it’s a sustainable contribution and it’s also a fair contribution because the way we make the formula — half of the investment returns can be spent, the other half goes back and it is reinvested for the future,” said the Prime Minister.

“I think that we are pursuing the right policy and getting the right results. So when people say why don’t we use the reserves in order to benefit the current generation? The answer is we are to a very big degree, but you may not realise because we’ve gotten used to it.”

ON THE ROLES OF GIC AND TEMASEK
Mr Lee also talked about the three entities tasked to manage and invest the country’s reserves.

The MAS, formed in 1971, takes care of Singapore’s official foreign reserves.

Temasek Holdings came about in 1974 to manage a range of national companies, such as Singapore Airlines and DBS Bank, on a commercial basis.

Sovereign wealth fund GIC, set up in 1981, manages most of the Government’s assets with an eye on longer-term investments to reap better returns.

Asked if this structure is still relevant today, Mr Lee replied: “I think in principle, yes.”

Given the size of the reserves, questions such as whether there should be two GICs set up to compete with one another have been asked.

“Every few years, we argue about this but finally, we conclude that building one team is hard enough. Let’s concentrate on making that one team succeed,” he said.

The Government has said on multiple occasions that it plays no role in the investment decisions made by these entities.

But Mr Lee told CNA that political leaders have a responsibility to “shield” those it has tasked to manage the reserves from political and public pressures so that they can do their job well.

In the case of GIC, whose mandate is to grow the reserves and protect them during downturns, this involves making investments all over the world. There is “no investment which is guaranteed to succeed” and risks will have to be taken, he added.

“Sometimes the risks turn out well, sometimes the risks turn out badly. But if you have a competent team, if you have an honest team, if you give them the right mandate and mission and you have the right governance process... you can be reasonably sure that the reserves will grow."

But this means that political leaders cannot interfere based on their views or public opinion, said the Prime Minister.

“Unless we can shield them from these pressures, they won’t be able to do their job properly and our reserves would suffer,” he said.

In annual results announced last month, GIC delivered its highest returns since 2015 for the financial year ending March 31. But the sovereign wealth fund warned of "challenging" prospects ahead amid sticky inflation and other economic headwinds.

On the other hand, Temasek Holdings reported a 5.2 per cent fall in the value of its net portfolio, while the MAS recorded its largest net loss of S$30.8 billion in the last financial year. CNA

https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...ways-have-enough-reserves-says-pm-lee-2233716

Guarding the reserves is never the problem but over-saving it at the expense of massively increasing the cost of living is. E.g. forcing S'poreans to pay for what ranjiao HDB land costs to SLA when HDB owners are not even given strata titles, which is both ridiculous and unjustifiable.

The most pressing problem is the excessive import of FTs and esp. PCB CECAs that snatch our PMET jobs by making employers addicted to them like cocaine as they are willing to work OT everyday, on weekends and carry balls at a lower salary.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guarding the reserves is never the problem but over-saving it at the expense of massively increasing the cost of living is. E.g. forcing S'poreans to pay for what ranjiao HDB land costs to SLA when HDB owners are not even given strata titles, which is both ridiculous and unjustifiable.
uh.... sorry, but how does oversaving reserves lead to increasing cost of living? Balance of payments got affect domestic land costs? ah... not being kwai lan but please elaborate. catch no ball.
The most pressing problem is the excessive import of FTs and esp. PCB CECAs that snatch our PMET jobs by making employers addicted to them like cocaine as they are willing to work OT everyday, on weekends and carry balls at a lower salary.
You could call it a problem, but you could also point to it and say that sinkies high nominal net worth is a result of it.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
uh.... sorry, but how does oversaving reserves lead to increasing cost of living? Balance of payments got affect domestic land costs? ah... not being kwai lan but please elaborate. catch no ball.
Higher HDB housing costs will obviously eat into people's savings with less savings in CPF as a significant part of higher costs of living.

https://leongmunwai.sg/are-hdb-subs...Gk8z4MWQgZosl47ZmB5cwfTO2Joa0lAt4ZtXGXVVIcG20

Are HDB subsidies really very generous relative to land costs?​

December 8, 2022

Yesterday, for the first time, HDB released detailed data on the land and construction costs of HDB flats completed over the last three fiscal years. I welcome this as the result of all the efforts by Opposition lawmakers in Parliament including those of Mr Chiam See Tong in March 1988.
The data reveals land costs accounted for almost 60% of the total cost of building HDB flats.

In contrast, net government subsidies, which included CPF housing grants, only accounted for 12% of the total cost in Fiscal Year (FY) 21/22. This 12% can be interpreted as the “discount” from the market price that HDB applies to BTO flats.
1.jpg
Table 1: Breakdown of HDB Costs from FY19 to FY22, source by CNA Reports 7 Dec 22
We must ask ourselves, is this 12% discount really very generous and enough to make HDB flats affordable? Notice this is the discount to the total cost which is the market price for HDB flats estimated by HDB. The actual subsidies received by Singaporeans is the CPF Housing Grant which is only 4.7% of the total cost, which is much smaller than 12%. We also have no idea how the market price was estimated although it is likely that the land cost was derived from it.

In response to Mr Chiam See Tong’s queries in 1988, the government released similar data on the land cost, construction costs and subsidies for 4-room HDB flats in four towns (Pasir Ris, Hougang, Bukit Panjang, and Toa Payoh). We can see that in the 1980s, the subsidies from the government were not only more generous at 23%, but also covered a much larger proportion of the land cost, especially in the New Towns.
2.jpg
Table 2: Breakdown of HDB Costs for FY86 & FY87, source from Parliamentary Question (PQ) by Mr. Chiam See Tong, 30 Mar 1988
3.jpg

Table 3: Breakdown of HDB Costs for FY86 & FY87 by towns, source from Parliamentary Question (PQ) by Mr. Chiam See Tong, 30 Mar 1988

In my opinion, the pricing of HDB flats should only account for construction costs and price differences between locations. This was arguably the case in the late 1980s, when the total land cost accounted for a substantially lower share of the total price of an HDB flat.

Land costs should be taken out of the picture, because much of the land used for building HDB flats was surrendered by the Pioneer Generation to the government for a relatively modest sum under the Land Acquisition Act between the 1970s and the 1980s. The Pioneer Generation endured difficulties when they were evicted from their homes and resettled with a low level of compensation. They accepted this because they were told their land was going to be used for a higher purpose, to provide affordable homes for every Singaporean.

However, what we are seeing now is that Singaporeans today must pay market prices for the land that was taken away from their forebears, and only get a small discount from the government that barely covers one-fifth of the land charges.

The time has come for us to question whether even our public housing policy has lost its way.
Singaporeans deserve better.
For Country, For People.
----------

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how did you know there were snakes? I couldn't find them in the dark... :biggrin:
these two snakes slithered into and hid in the warm and moist ridout hole with no one the wiser, until they were exposed and flushed out.
the oppos should make a mountain out of this molehill come election time, and harp on the grandoise and opulent living quarters for the privileged ministars :redface:

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is my view: now government has increased gst to 9 % and they cannot keep on increasing GST.

So the next move is to increase all other taxes such as:
Water tax
Electricity tax
Toilet tax
Land tax
Coe hdb
School tuition fee
Property tax etc etc

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is my view: now government has increased gst to 9 % and they cannot keep on increasing GST.

Water tax
Electricity tax
Toilet tax
Land tax
Coe hdb
School tuition fee
Property tax etc etc
Can you explain what is eg water tax ? What is the difference of water usage charges vs water tax ?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our nation reserve is to provide SG the unique stratergical advantage in time of need eg start of a new global economical cycle or invest in key industry eg space, nuclear sector to ensure survival

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
This reserve is not only the labour of our forefathers, but also our lifeline for those future generations that come after us

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Water tax
Electricity tax
Toilet tax
Land tax
Coe hdb
School tuition fee
Property tax etc etc
Why no Carbon Tax?

MotorXiao

Alfrescian
Loyal

Water tax
Electricity tax
Toilet tax
Land tax
Coe hdb
School tuition fee
Property tax etc etc

how about the air that we breathes? oxygen tax? :biggrin: