• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

20K reached for SDP YEAH!!!!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4579-20k-reached-thank-you

We are glad to announce that we have reached the target of $20,000 in contributions for Dr Chee Soon Juan's fine. We wish to thank each and everyone of you who have donated to the fund to keep Dr Chee out of prison so that he is available to lead the SDP during the upcoming GE. The final tally is $20,120.

This is a historical development in that it is the first time that Singaporeans have rallied together to show such encouraging support for an opposition cause.

More than just keeping Dr Chee out of jail, Singaporeans have rallied and sent a message that they will not sit idly by when the opposition is persecuted.

Thank you for your contributions

0 5k 10k 15k 20k

Amount received: $20,120 Amount needed: $20,000

It is also significant that the effort has been entirely driven on the Internet. In this regard, the Singapore Democrats would like to acknowledge the role and the support given by the online community such as newsblogs Temasek Review, The Online Citizen, 3in1 Kopitiam as well as forummers in Sam's Alfresco Coffee Shop, SgForums and other online forums.

It is important that we continue to leverage on cyberspace to increase political space in Singapore. This exercise has given civil society and the opposition a gauge on the power of the new media. It has shown that when we come together, we can be an effective force. We can only gain confidence as we build up our influence to open up society in Singapore.

The donations came in big and small packages. Some were in the thousands but many were smaller amounts of $10. Most inspiring was the fact that many were youths. A few indicated that they were financially not well-off but wanted to do their part for democracy. One retiree even gave $500 and would have given more if he did not have to pay for his dialysis treatment. We declined the offer but the donor insisted that we accept it.

To this gentleman and to all of you, we say a big thank you.

Now we press on with our fight for freedom and justice. The SDP is, and will always be, your voice.

Yours sincerely,

Gandhi Ambalam
Chairman Francis Yong
Vice-Chairman John Tan
Asst. Secretary-General
Gerald Sng
Treasurer Jeffrey George
Asst. Treasurer Chee Siok Chin
Member, CEC
Mohd Jufrie Mahmood
Member, CEC Mohd Isa Abdul Azizy
Member, CEC Slvester Lim
Member, CEC
Johnny Hoe
Member, CEC Laurence Lai
Member, CEC

Share this article:

SearchRSS Comments (9)
Thu 10 Feb 2011 1:11 AM | Brendan - Congrats, SDP and Singaporeans
This is significant not just because of the amount of money raised (this is the biggest fine ever for SDP members), no is it a debate of whether SDP can manage without Dr. Chee.

More importantly it also goes to show the number of Singaporeans who are SICK and TIRED of PAP rule. Just about 10 years ago, even being one of the first countries to go broadband, this would have not been possible.

Only one sentence. Way to go SDP. History is made.
Thu 10 Feb 2011 2:46 AM | maxchew - Little drops of water, little grains of sand...
As I had written b4, $20,000 may look a daunting sum....but a nominal $10 donated by just 2,000 supporters and sympathisers will come to $20,000. I'm sure we have more than 2,000 people here who believe in the SDP cause and are confident of its success in the imminent GE. I know many are raring to vote for SDP wherever their candidates may contest....

Change is inevitable. The same old status quo which causes so much misery to so many cannot remain still.
Here's looking fwd to a new day after GE 2011.

Little drops of water, little grains of sand... make the mighty ocean and the mighty land.
Thu 10 Feb 2011 2:59 AM | g_e - Simply marvellous!
One small step for the SDP.
One giant step for Singapore.
Thu 10 Feb 2011 5:39 AM | breeze - Yesss!
Well done! Great work all around!
Thu 10 Feb 2011 7:31 AM | Dr Syed Alwi - Clarify Your Stand On Singaporean Singapore
Dear SDP,

Now that you have become a serious political force in Singapore - you had better clarify your stand regarding Singaporean Singapore & Bangsa Singapura. My advice to you is to adopt UNITY IN DIVERSITY.

Regards
Dr Syed Alwi
Thu 10 Feb 2011 7:47 AM | Robox
I had a gut feeling, especially in the last few days, that the target would have been met.

This is quite an unprecedented occurrence in the Singapore that most of us are familiar with. Every individual who donated has likely experienced a personal growth of some sort.

Especially heartwarming were the many comments made by individuals who announced online that they had just donated; you could sense their smile of great satisfaction for having done so. There were also many ordinary netizens - not just blog owners - who sprang into action to provide regular updates, urge donations, and even dispel ongoing criticisms of the party.

All of us will now benefit from having Dr Chee being free to lead the SDP at the next elections
Thu 10 Feb 2011 8:16 AM | Cheers
To God be the glory great things He had done!!!

We shall overcome someday!!!!!

Great job everyone,
Thu 10 Feb 2011 8:49 AM | amiadud
They came first for the communists
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew

Then they came for me
and by that time, no one was left to speak up for me - Martin Niemoller.

The message above is no longer valid for Singaporeans. Today we have spoken!

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear SDP

Congratulations for a job well done.
While we prepare for the battle,I wish to remind SDP abut their tactics.

One very effective tactic used by Comies for their united front activitis and also used extensively by LKY before was

"find similarity & discard the differences"

I sincerely hope that SDP & other opposition parties would consider this strategy

Best wishes for the general elections.

Last edited:

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
So happy for what ah? Just curious.

Cos Dr Chee is still ineligible to contest right? Donate until he can dont go jail wait during GE he illegal speech again.... need more money.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So happy for what ah? Just curious.

Cos Dr Chee is still ineligible to contest right? Donate until he can dont go jail wait during GE he illegal speech again.... need more money.

This whole thing is not about Dr Chee , it is about the party that is going to kick pap's ass.

Unlike your PAP , everything they do is about the famiLEE. The whole famiLEE think the whole island revolved around them.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The most important thing is that SDP will be there to support the constitutional rights for the people that is so abused by the PAP...

hillary888

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you meet opposition, maybe it shows that you are doing something that counts. I sure hope these donors are genuine supporters and won't go knocking at his office door when he is in Power.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you meet opposition, maybe it shows that you are doing something that counts. I sure hope these donors are genuine supporters and won't go knocking at his office door when he is in Power.
If PAP is no more the government but in opposition,then it would be their job to check on the new government,and citizens should support them

Human beings are sinners,KKN will never disapppear fr this earth,that is why we need check & balances.