• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

15 Defunct Department Stores We Miss Most

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very nice. All this vintage places before I was born. Sinkieland must have been a very happening place back in the day, you could even see bapoks at Bugis Street.
ah guas with one of the best chicken rice and satay

use to go there for super after heavy drinking session

and not to forget the owen street Teochew muay with their sambal fish

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its where i bought my made in china stuff when china was a pariah , some like the woollen thingy were far cheap and not bad at all

except the colour ran when put into washing machine
they were selling cardigans, sweaters, and jackets made in prc when i was looking for warm clothes for travel. made in prc winter wear then were obiang. wore them in u.s. and i looked like a dork.

BotakHead

Alfrescian
Loyal
but I did miss Change Alley though , just next to John Littles and opposite to Robinsons

Oh man, you must be very old already. Robinson fire was in 1972. Now 48 years later - 2020.

Ah pek, I like all your grandma stories and post. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh man, you must be very old already. Robinson fire was in 1972. Now 52 years later - 2020.

Ah pek, I like all your grandma stories and post. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
strange ,nobody here talks or seems to remember Change Alley

it was an icon of sinkiland of the past ,almost all sailors pass through it and it was the only place one can change their foreign currencies those days

i have had heard of Change Alley fame even in overseas ,but nobody here seems to remember. Pity !

the talks in the 50s and 60s were ,did you buy it in Robinsons or Change Alley ?..its a form of wry humour too

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
life was so simple and peaceful then..... you hardly see any angmos or cecas or tiongs, things and food were so cheap,miss those days

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sogo

1606796069921.png

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
life was so simple and peaceful then..... you hardly see any angmos or cecas or tiongs, things and food were so cheap,miss those days
that depends, the neighbourhood you are familiar with

i had the opportunity to mingle with Ang Mohs here

alao because there were British army ,air force and navy presence here, Katong had lots of Royal Air force presence ,Naval base and sembawang had lots of British navy forces ,Chip Bee our current Holland Road area had lots of British Army folks presence

and also the ANZUK forces too ,meaning Aussies and New Zealanders with their Maori soldiers

the Shenton Way district had lots of Ang Moh buisness people ,since almost all our major trading companies like Jebssen and Jessen ,Guthrie and many more were Ang Moh companies

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no spare cash to buy things in the past, can only see see look look.

Enjoy the aircon, I loved going to Oriental Emporium after school.

Back in the day kindergarten session 2-3 hours max, and primary school was either morning session or afternoon session, plenty of free time for R&R.

Kids these days stay in school from sunrise till sunset, no wonder most of them grow up to be basket cases.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enjoy the aircon, I loved going to Oriental Emporium after school.

Back in the day kindergarten session 2-3 hours max, and primary school was either morning session or afternoon session, plenty of free time for R&R.

Kids these days stay in school from sunrise till sunset, no wonder most of them grow up to be basket cases.
shooo tiong shoooo go back to china shoooo!

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
bukit merah oriental. emporium group.
the oriental had another branch in serangoon rd ,which was than replaced by Mustaffa ,before Mustaffa having built their own building in Syed Alwi Rd

apparently ,this spot seems the lucky stroke for Mustaffa ,Oriental was almost lifeless, and i use to go there because it was very quite place to shop ,subsequently another Indian group took over the shop space from Oriental ,heard they were very very big in malusia and india as well but failed

than came Mustafa and did extremely well to have their own building and hotel

despite Mustafa having their own building ,they were still renting the ex Oriental shop space for more than a decade paying around half a million in rent per month just for good luck sake

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a Chinese Emporium on the second floor of International Building next to Lido cinema. They sell good winter wear stuff there. I used to get my Swan brand ah pek white singlets and t-shirts there.