• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why you should vote for opposition: It can't get any worse

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why vote for the PAP when they are too many of them sleeping in parliament:confused:

For those arguing that the PAP are the only one's with experience, they should learn from the Brazilians voting for a clown. What won many voters over was his election slogan "It can't get any worse". :smile:

So you have to decide if you really want a bunch of new clowns who might be better than the current bunch with a proven a track record of selfishness, financial mismanagement, ..... :rolleyes:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/10/04...n’t-you-elect-this-guy-as-federal-deputy-too/

Clown Campaign Victory: Wouldn't You Elect This Guy As Federal Deputy Too?
By: Alexandra Silver
Brazilian clown Tiririca campaigns in Sao Paulo

23 Sep 2010, SAO PAULO, Brazil --- epa02353948 Brazilian clown Tiririca, candidate to Federal Deputy for the Republic Party (PR) participates in a campaign event in a neighborhood in Sao Paulo, Brazil, 23 September 2010. The surveys show that Tiririca could get 900,000 votes in the elections due to be held on 03 October 2010. EPA/SEBASTIAO MOREIRA --- Image by © SEBASTIAO MOREIRA/epa/Corbis

Brazil has decided to send in the clowns. (via Reuters)

While yesterday's elections failed to deliver a new president—that will be decided in a run-off at the end of the month—there were victors. Among them was Francisco Everardo Oliveira Silva, better and more amusingly known as Tiririca ("Grumpy”). He was elected to Brazil's lower house of congress, the Chamber of Deputies, whose 513 members serve four-year terms. And he is a professional clown/TV comedian.

Tiririca garnered an impressive 1.3 million votes, more than any other congressional candidate, in a country where voting is compulsory for those 18-70. He wasn't the only celebrity or bizarre contender competing—as The Economist points out, the huge pool also included soccer star Romário and a 23-year-old running as the “pear-shaped woman”—but he may be the funniest. Or saddest, depending on what mood you're in.

His slogan was “It can't get any worse,” and he promised that, if elected as a federal deputy for the state of São Paulo, he would find out what it is a federal deputy does. You don't have to speak Portuguese to appreciate the ads:

If you can't get enough of that campaign jingle, you can download it from his website. Enjoy it (and headlines like “Brazil Elects Non-Metaphorical Clown to Congress”) while you can; Tiririca's literacy has been questioned, and he could lose his seat if it turns out he can't read and write.

Also, there may be more funny business than immediately meets the eye. According to Reuters, “Tiririca's well-financed campaign will help elect other politicians because under Brazil's election rules he can pass his substantial excess votes on to other candidates in his coalition, which includes the ruling Workers' Party.”

The circus continues.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You quite right. Vote in 30 parliment seat for opposition at least we can have more transparency gov. That what I want 30 seat for opposition and let the PAP manage. If PAPA cannot manage well. After 2 term opposition will be more mature and can take over the goverment. If PAP manage well then continue the 50 seats PAP and 30 seats opposition.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who are worried that the PAP will loose their majority, don't have to worry lah as there are not enough opposition running against the PAP in the upcoming election.

However if the opposition show that they can do a good job of shaming the PAP by revealing most of the PAP misdeeds, I'm sure more will dare to run against the PAP in future elections :smile:

This is especially true with the decline of the "last leaf". There might still be some hope for Spore :eek:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
You quite right. Vote in 30 parliment seat for opposition at least we can have more transparency gov. That what I want 30 seat for opposition and let the PAP manage. If PAPA cannot manage well. After 2 term opposition will be more mature and can take over the goverment. If PAP manage well then continue the 50 seats PAP and 30 seats opposition.

Are 30 seats a requirement for transparency? If not why do you use such a figure? If 30 is insufficient for transparency then what is the magic number to achive transparency?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why vote for the PAP when they are too many of them sleeping in parliament:confused:

For those arguing that the PAP are the only one's with experience, they should learn from the Brazilians voting for a clown. What won many voters over was his election slogan "It can't get any worse". :smile:The circus continues.

Actually, it CAN get much worse than it already is, and that's why I never really bought the argument that any and all opposition must be voted for.

I've thought about it and am of the current opinion that the difference between voting in say 10 opposition candidates versus just the current 2 will not make a huge impact in Singapore over the next decade. Sure, more fireworks, more interest generated, more newspaper coverage, etc, but in terms of real change, not very much impact.

Of course, the other very valid argument is that change has to start SOMEWHERE, even if that means putting say 8-10 clowns in parliament and letting them make a fool of themselves for a few years.

Many people think that it is ok to wait for more credible/sophisticated opposition to emerge before taking a gamble with multi-party pluralism and I see why that could be reasonable.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah loon n his jin gang shud b spending their time tinking how 2 fix opposition rather than tinking how 2 fix peasants ...

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course, the other very valid argument is that change has to start SOMEWHERE, even if that means putting say 8-10 clowns in parliament and letting them make a fool of themselves for a few years.

Many people think that it is ok to wait for more credible/sophisticated opposition to emerge before taking a gamble with multi-party pluralism and I see why that could be reasonable.

Good credible ones please. Clowns should stay in circus. Giving them a chance in parliament is committing suicide and they are not making a fool of themselves but playing a fool with people's lives.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you really think LKY & LHL could have implemented all those anti-lesser mortals policies if he had to explain himself to a parliament with more opposition members :confused:

If there is more fireworks & more coverage from the press, MPs can no longer sleep in parliament. LKY would have to spend more time in parliament answering questions instead of going on those junkets

Alot of people( 66% ) think like you do that's why Sporeans are in the mess that they are now in :( If you carry on sitting on the fence you can watch the foreigners take your childrens' job, depress the wages, put strains on the infrastructure, ... .

Read alot of complaints from people living in PAP held areas that the PAP is doing a lousy job. When you look at the 2 opposition held areas, I haven't heard of these MPs getting assaulted by their own residents :smile: How much worse would an opposition do?

Actually, it CAN get much worse than it already is, and that's why I never really bought the argument that any and all opposition must be voted for.

I've thought about it and am of the current opinion that the difference between voting in say 10 opposition candidates versus just the current 2 will not make a huge impact in Singapore over the next decade. Sure, more fireworks, more interest generated, more newspaper coverage, etc, but in terms of real change, not very much impact.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good credible ones please. Clowns should stay in circus. Giving them a chance in parliament is committing suicide and they are not making a fool of themselves but playing a fool with people's lives.

We already have many clowns in parliament.

They have a track record of overspending, loosing billions & billions of tax money, .... So why not give the opposition a chance:confused:

LKY has boasted that he has picked the best but how come "the best" can't even spend within a budget :rolleyes:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alot of people( 66% ) think like you do that's why Sporeans are in the mess that they are now in :( If you carry on sitting on the fence you can watch the foreigners take your childrens' job, depress the wages, put strains on the infrastructure, ... .

The 33% thinks Singaporeans are in a mess because of this 66% who chose to vote for PAP
The 66% thinks Singaporeans would be in a far worst mess if they join the 33% in voting the PAP out.

The 33% think 66% are stupid. The 66% think 33% are blind. Endless arguments.

Better to be the 1%. :cool:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 33% thinks Singaporeans are in a mess because of this 66% who chose to vote for PAP
The 66% thinks Singaporeans would be in a far worst mess if they join the 33% in voting the PAP out.

That why I said power sharing 50 seat PAP and 30 seat Opposition.
Then we can see clearer in next 5 year.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

Last GE 2006 only 47 seats contested and 37 seats walkover.

44% of Singapore voters did not get vote the last time.

Hope next coming GE .. all 84 seats are contested and also hope more independents coming forward to contest GRC like Tanjong Pagar or Marine Parade :smile:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That why I said power sharing 50 seat PAP and 30 seat Opposition.
Then we can see clearer in next 5 year.

no power sharing, a majority of 1 in parliament form the government and pass all laws except constitutional laws.
49% oppositions main role in the house are to present arguments against the govt's policies and legislation the same as what two, ten or thirty oppositions would do.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hahaha. I wonder if your words are ultimate as far as words of wisdom go.

But it's not probably 66-33. Very likely a hardcore PAP of about 45 (those who voted against LTK/Chiam even in the best of times) and hardcore opposition of 25 (who who will vote for the mortley SDP team). That leaves a swing vote of 30%.

What the forumers and the SDP don't understand is that Singaporeans will vote for their direct personal interest. And that is why the majority of the swing votes have typically gone to the PAP.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha. I wonder if your words are ultimate as far as words of wisdom go.

But it's not probably 66-33. Very likely a hardcore PAP of about 45 (those who voted against LTK/Chiam even in the best of times) and hardcore opposition of 25 (who who will vote for the mortley SDP team). That leaves a swing vote of 30%.

What the forumers and the SDP don't understand is that Singaporeans will vote for their direct personal interest. And that is why the majority of the swing votes have typically gone to the PAP.

I will rephrase it this manner to make it seem clearer
PS - PAP supporters
OS - Opposition supporters

The OS thinks Singaporeans are in a mess because of this PS who chose to vote for PAP
The PS thinks Singaporeans would be in a far worst mess if they join the OS in voting the PAP out.

The OS think PS are stupid. The PS think OS are blind. Endless arguments.

Better to be the neutral.:cool:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The OS think PS are stupid. The PS think OS are blind. Endless arguments.

Better to be the neutral.:cool:

I've nothing personal against the PAP except for their multi-million salary, arrogance, self-serving policies, billions of losses, importing millions to depress wages, increasing the prices, ......

We now have floods & crowds straining Spore's infrastructure. I've even heard complaints from pro-PAP supporters.

So can you really claim that the PAP has improved Sporeans lifes :confused:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've nothing personal against the PAP except for their multi-million salary, arrogance, self-serving policies, billions of losses, importing millions to depress wages, increasing the prices, ......

We now have floods & crowds straining Spore's infrastructure. I've even heard complaints from pro-PAP supporters.

So can you really claim that the PAP has improved Sporeans lifes :confused:

Some of the policies are screwed, but there is only 1 thing I am not against. That is their multi-million salary.

One day if any opposition manages to win the elections and become Prime Minister and the opposition candidates hold key ministerial positions, I think they should still continue taking top class salaries. I know many of you don't agree, but this is my opinion. If its only few hundred Ks, these people would be better off working in pte sector.