• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will there be a by-election in Punggol East

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
WE thank God that our opposition party WP has laid down a standard that all politicians must follow in Singapore,it is a blessing to us Singaporeans,God bless Worker Party,amen

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP sure win.

It is not a sure win. If there were a 2 corner fight last GE, at most WP would had got 45%. I won't be too surprised if other Opp parties might be interested in joining the show, thus diluting whatever political leverage that WP might have got from the recent electoral victories, as well as their work in Hougang and Aljunied.

But then..... there are several things working out to PAP's disadvantage. Their performance after the GE has not be that great. Influx of foreigners continues unabated, inflation gets worse, few other scandals have surfaced. The estate is well managed enough, but not top notched. Rivervale Plaza is still in shambles when it should had been completed by now.

I think PAP will win, but it will be hard fought victory. I'm not a PAP supporter, just a realist.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
WE thank God that our opposition party WP has laid down a standard that all politicians must follow in Singapore,it is a blessing to us Singaporeans,God bless Worker Party,amen

Agreed with you. They have set the bar very high, and PAP had no choice but to follow.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP sure win.

Bro Dreamer, never discount the fact that there are many new citizens staying in that ward.. I have no doubt that most of these trash will give their votes to the PAP..

It is going to be a tough place for WP to win.. But its also not impossible for WP to obtain a very slim win there..

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I personally prefer Yee Jenn Jong.... I hope it's not going to be the loud mouthed lady...

i think Jenn Jong would be the frontman for the East, not likely him to be in punggol east SMC. We have to live with loud mouthed lady most likely

eremarf

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think Jenn Jong would be the frontman for the East, not likely him to be in punggol east SMC. We have to live with loud mouthed lady most likely

Does it matter who the MP is? Since a BE at this point won't have immediate consequences, this will be like a referendum on PAP performance since our last BE. People might not care which MP it is - they might just use it as a chance to give a score to PAP.

Not saying that PAP won't win this BE, but my hunch is it'll be based on party appeal more than candidate appeal.

(Agree that Yee Jenn Jong is a steady guy though - but then again he can and is contributing even if he's not an elected MP.)

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Does it matter who the MP is? Since a BE at this point won't have immediate consequences, this will be like a referendum on PAP performance since our last BE. People might not care which MP it is - they might just use it as a chance to give a score to PAP.

Not saying that PAP won't win this BE, but my hunch is it'll be based on party appeal more than candidate appeal.

(Agree that Yee Jenn Jong is a steady guy though - but then again he can and is contributing even if he's not an elected MP.)

spot on, as compared to the Hougang BE this will be a real litmus test of the PAP's popularity. A 3 corner fight might appear, it does not matter whether PAP wins or lose this BE what i am interested is how much support might have eroded over the past 1.5 yrs since GE 2011

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) has said a by-election must be held in Punggol East SMC to preserve Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's moral authority.

In a statement signed by SDP's Secretary-General Chee Soon Juan, the party said Mr Michael Palmer's stepping down as a Member of Parliament and also as Speaker of Parliament has left a gaping hole in the legislature that cannot be ignored or papered over.

More importantly, SDP said voters of Punggol East have been badly let down and they deserve the opportunity to elect another representative.

The statement said governance requires not just political but also moral authority.

It said without moral authority, the PM will find his power undermined and challenged from within and outside of his party.

A by-election is the only way that Mr Lee can stem the erosion of his moral authority, it added.

- CNA/de

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many political party in Singapore. The real ground was only PAP and WP. PAP had converted other small party (MIC, MCA, UMNO and so on) become a strong party.

The WP leader still sleep. They never try to alliance with other small party to make them strong. The WP had to make sometime different from PAP. The small parties shall had their own voice and activities but when come to election small parties shall provide good quality candidate to contest in election. The number of candidate from small parties shall come to an agreement point before contest. If not, WP party will facing more cornered fight in Election.

In the 2011 general elections, this ward was the only ward to have a 3 cornered fight, not seen since the 2001 general elections in the then Bukit Timah SMC. Desmond Lim of the Singapore Democratic Alliance secured a mere 4.45% of the votes in Punggol East SMC, against PAP's Michael Palmer and [[Singapore Democratic Alliance's Desmond Lim, which is the lowest percentage of votes a candidate has gotten in the 2011 election. As a result, he was the only candidate in that particular election to have his election deposit forfeited.