• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will Singapore Hawkers lower food prices?

bigbossman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysian hawkers are such a sport. Bad times, they lower the prices. Take a look at the photo, see what 10cents and 20 cents can buy in Malaysia:

Roti Canai 10 cents
Teh Tarik 10 cents
Nasi Kandar 20 cents

The Nasi Kandar for 20 cents is the best, can you ever get that in Singapore? Chicken rice for 20cents? Possible?

<hr>
Nov 13, 2008
M'sia to lower food prices
By Carolyn Hong, Malaysia Bureau Chief

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_CAFOOD13.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Workers at an Indian Muslim restaurant in Petaling Jaya preparing roti canai and teh tarik. A notice draws attention to price cuts for certain items. -- PHOTO: THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

KUALA LUMPUR - OVER the last two weeks, Malaysia's Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Shahrir Samad has been busy visiting nasi kandar restaurants and hypermarkets.

His goal? To persuade them to reduce their prices as the government comes under pressure for its handling of the sudden and stark rollback of fuel price subsidies in June.

Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak joined the campaign yesterday at a Putrajaya hypermarket, where he urged retailers to ensure their price cuts were genuine. 'This year is an exceptional year for us because the inflation rate shot up. But next year, we will return to the inflation rate that is more normal in our country - around 3 to 4 per cent,' he said.

The rate is now over 8 per cent.

The government does not usually go from shop to shop to persuade retailers to slash prices but it has been stung by criticism over its handling of the fuel price hike in Malaysia when global oil prices soared.

The sudden and steep hike in fuel prices in June had led to sharp increases in prices of food and other items as retailers passed on the increase in transport costs to consumers. Fuel prices are controlled by the government, which provides a hefty subsidy to keep prices among the lowest in the region, but most food prices are not.

In early June, the government abruptly rolled back the subsidies to allow petrol prices to jump by 40 per cent in one fell swoop. It had no choice.

But critics, including former premier Mahathir Mohamad, had said the move would burden the people. Tun Dr Mahathir pointed out that the government could afford to roll back subsidies gradually as its revenue had soared from two of its biggest exports - oil and commodities.

The critics' warning proved prescient as global oil prices tanked from September. While the government quickly lowered fuel prices, food prices were slower to drop. Inflation has remained high.

Teacher R. Vasantha told The Straits Times the price of milk had shot up 20 per cent in the last few months. Her grocery bill has not dropped substantially lately.

'It's always sticky downwards. Retailers find people become used to higher prices, and are reluctant to lower them if business is not affected,' said opposition MP Tony Pua, who was economic adviser to the Democratic Action Party.

The government has scrambled to address a problem that could become a major headache. A September survey by the Merdeka Centre showed half the respondents cited economic concerns as their biggest worry. Over 40 per cent cited inflation as a specific cause. Almost 80 per cent were dissatisfied with the government's handling of the issue.

The inconsistent policy on fuel subsidies has cost the government RM5 billion (S$2.1 billion) in rebates to car owners. As it had pledged to pay the rebate until March next year, it cannot backtrack even though petrol prices have fallen.

The government's campaign has seen some successes. About 4,500 Indian and Indian Muslim restaurants this week dropped prices by 10 to 20 sen for items like roti canai, teh tarik and nasi kandar. Several hypermarket chains have also started to slash prices of certain items.

[email protected]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i suggest everyone to stay in Malaysia. It is a much more human place with a real human life.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
i suggest everyone to stay in Malaysia. It is a much more human place with a real human life.

I concur. If my schedule permits, I spend plenty quality time in JB. Fishing in Sedili, have roti kaya in Kluang, eat wild meat in Kahang & mesmerised oneself in the beauty of Endau Rompin.
And all those crime rates we hear about in the papers, some people are just plain unlucky. Dont understand why some Sinkie thinks Msians are uncouth & "fashion poor". In their own way, Msians are more friendlier than my neighbor next door.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
And all those crime rates we hear about in the papers, some people are just plain unlucky. Dont understand why some Sinkie thinks Msians are uncouth & "fashion poor". In their own way, Msians are more friendlier than my neighbor next door.

Let me enlightened you on this.

EVery morning a sinkie wakes up , he or she will read the SinkieTimes, when you read more, it will caused some kind of hypnotised effect on them and will automatically think that SInkieland is the main thing in this planet and all the whole world around them bows to them.

That is what i see so clearly how those sinkies behave in Bangkok.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

this is a concerted conspiracy by the press of sinking land who we knows is under coercion by the local gov, to paint a ever gloomy picture of the real situation in Malaysia...they want to scare all the pathetic and naive singkees from patronizing JB and spending the much needed money back in sinking land...

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the prices continue to go up! ingredients get less and less. the standard of food worse and worse! even hawkers employ foreigners to dish out local favourites and they taste like shit! singapore is out of control with far too many foreigners running this place.

i went down to the famous sengsong supermarket to buy a durian for my mum.cheap and good for $4 per kilo D24. the man serving is from china! he looks so threatening with the knife in his hand. first durian no good.he got angry.got worms and he said no worms. he insisted that i take. i said no. he got angry. then he picked another one and asked me repeatedly how many durians i wanted. i said let me decide after i've seen the durian.he got very angry and kept playing with his knife.he opened the next durian and i quickly took it and paid and left...just in case this man run amok and start chopping me up to pieces.

we got this type of foreigners now...so be very careful.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let me enlightened you on this.

EVery morning a sinkie wakes up , he or she will read the SinkieTimes, when you read more, it will caused some kind of hypnotised effect on them and will automatically think that SInkieland is the main thing in this planet and all the whole world around them bows to them.

That is what i see so clearly how those sinkies behave in Bangkok.

The males sinkies in Bangkok usually donates their "milkshakes" to the "TIGERS"...now you know why, Sinkieland have population problems.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will Singapore Hawkers lower food prices?

... While the government quickly lowered fuel prices, food prices were slower to drop ...
in order 4 food prices 2 drop, other prices must drop 1st ...

wat prices hv dropped? ... oni a meagre taxi surcharge which is irrelevant 4 dose who dun take cabs ...

many others r waiting 2 go up ... tariffs ... phone charges ...

if dese prices dun go down, how can food prices go down? ... hawkers no nid 2 eat meh? ...

... OVER the last two weeks, Malaysia's Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Shahrir Samad has been busy visiting nasi kandar restaurants and hypermarkets.

His goal? To persuade them to reduce their prices as the government comes under pressure for its handling of the sudden and stark rollback of fuel price subsidies in June. ...

in msia, gt minister going around 2 urge hawkers 2 reduce prices ... here, u tink dey dare meh? ... later kena scolded, how? ... wait gt fishmonger offer 2 shake hands, how? ... 2 shake or nt 2 shake? ... shake oredi cannot wash hands 1 wor! ... :eek:

jurongeer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never read TITLE or dont know how to reade Malay Language?

It said price REDUCED by 10 cent,

so one piece Roti Canai is RM$1.40 (=$1.50 - 10cent)

and Nasi Kadar one plate is RM$8.80 (= $9 - 0.20)

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never read TITLE or dont know how to reade Malay Language?

It said price REDUCED by 10 cent,

so one piece Roti Canai is RM$1.40 (=$1.50 - 10cent)

and Nasi Kadar one plate is RM$8.80 (= $9 - 0.20)

RM1.40 = S$0.60
RM8.80 = S$3.70

Just like birds like to say cheap cheap cheap.....:biggrin::biggrin:

bebo

Alfrescian
Loyal
in order 4 food prices 2 drop, other prices must drop 1st ...

wat prices hv dropped? ... oni a meagre taxi surcharge which is irrelevant 4 dose who dun take cabs ...

many others r waiting 2 go up ... tariffs ... phone charges ...

if dese prices dun go down, how can food prices go down? ... hawkers no nid 2 eat meh? ...

in msia, gt minister going around 2 urge hawkers 2 reduce prices ... here, u tink dey dare meh? ... later kena scolded, how? ... wait gt fishmonger offer 2 shake hands, how? ... 2 shake or nt 2 shake? ... shake oredi cannot wash hands 1 wor! ... :eek:

You are creative in your writings, have a great sense of humor but your choice to use Singlish is poor.

Oredi.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG govt will not let price fall as it would affect the revenue collection. Most food centre after upgrade had their food price increased from $2.50 to $3. That was 25% increase!!

It's better to learn how to cook and you will realise how cheap the food price it is...

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever Malaysia can do Singapore can do and excel in it too. Our hawkers can be so competitive they can even rise to the occasion of a rental increase and a price cut. Only in Singapore are such capable people around.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever Malaysia can do Singapore can do and excel in it too. Our hawkers can be so competitive they can even rise to the occasion of a rental increase and a price cut. Only in Singapore are such capable people around.

Do you know that a good proportion of hawkers in Singapore are Malaysians and now includes other foreigners? Wake up to reality.