• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why MRT waiting time is getting longer?

Hewlett

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sent my car for maintenance and today (at around 9am) i was at the MRT station North-South line waiting for train. While listening to my mp3, i suddenly notice 4min+ (after one song being played finish) passed and then the train arrive. I did not get up as i see its very crowded and i'm not in a rush. So i take a seat and activate the stopwatch function in my mobile and see when will the next train be arriving..

After about 4min 57seconds, the next train arrive.. I did not get up and want to time the next one..
After about 5min 07seconds, the next one arrive..
About 3-4months ago (after the fare increase i think), the waiting time at that timing (9am+) was about 3min. But now i don't know why the waiting time becomes longer. Is this the trick by the AssMRT? Say increase fare to promise shorter waiting time with more train trips for few months then after that back to the same old one?
Hmm......... I will try and see if its the same case for tmr..

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have the opportunity to take the train today at 3.30pm today. Gosh! It was packed even at off peak hour! And the PAP still says that they would prefer a bigger population of 5.5m? Faint lah!

Goh Meng Seng

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have the opportunity to take the train today at 3.30pm today. Gosh! It was packed even at off peak hour! And the PAP still says that they would prefer a bigger population of 5.5m? Faint lah!

Goh Meng Seng

Ofart is either...

1. Senile or
2. Tau Hong....:biggrin:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
because it is cheaper for them, cheaper mean more profit
running more trains, mean the train parts have to be replaced more often.
there will be more drivers needed.

money money money, the singapore dream

I sent my car for maintenance and today (at around 9am) i was at the MRT station North-South line waiting for train. While listening to my mp3, i suddenly notice 4min+ (after one song being played finish) passed and then the train arrive. I did not get up as i see its very crowded and i'm not in a rush. So i take a seat and activate the stopwatch function in my mobile and see when will the next train be arriving..

After about 4min 57seconds, the next train arrive.. I did not get up and want to time the next one..
After about 5min 07seconds, the next one arrive..
About 3-4months ago (after the fare increase i think), the waiting time at that timing (9am+) was about 3min. But now i don't know why the waiting time becomes longer. Is this the trick by the AssMRT? Say increase fare to promise shorter waiting time with more train trips for few months then after that back to the same old one?
Hmm......... I will try and see if its the same case for tmr..

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
You all crazy. Tokyo systems daily 20m commutes daily. Here? 5m complain?

walau aye, you know Tokyo can expand...when it's too crowded..

where can we expand to? JB? :biggrin:

by the way, you take public transport or not?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From Narita Airport to Tokyo, train fare is about 1,000 yen. Taxi fare is about 20,000 yen. You all go and do the comparison. Let's not short-change Singapoere. Narita to Tokyo is about 70km. Changi to Orchard is about 20km.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
From Narita Airport to Tokyo, train fare is about 1,000 yen. Taxi fare is about 20,000 yen. You all go and do the comparison. Let's not short-change Singapoere. Narita to Tokyo is about 70km. Changi to Orchard is about 20km.

and your point being?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and your point being?

My point being seriously, our MRT (or bus fares) are serioisly cheap compared to US or Japan. However, our wage levels are very low, too low to impose US or Japanese levels of transport fares.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point being seriously, our MRT (or bus fares) are serioisly cheap compared to US or Japan. However, our wage levels are very low, too low to impose US or Japanese levels of transport fares.

ok...for a moment i thought we are discussing population explosion situation in sgp...:biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not compare with Japan. Just compare with Hong Kong their wage are about the same or 20% higher level as SG but their transport are very efficeint and cheap.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not compare with Japan. Just compare with Hong Kong their wage are about the same or 20% higher level as SG but their transport are very efficeint and cheap.

they got a funny transport system...

you need to pay expensive train ride to the city...

their MTR doesn't go to the airport...

bus takes ages to reach the city..

but there are plenty of mini-buses in the city that can stop in most places.., that's an icing on the cake.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do we have to live with this crap ? If there is a maximum sitting/standing capacity for cars, boats and flights.. obviously there shld be maximum capacity for trains. (Hello ! for Safety Reasons ?!).

Is SMRT trying to make good profit by operating lesser trains, and getting ppl to squeeze like sardines ? Hmmm another reason to increase shareholders value ? Gimme a break !

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is SMRT trying to make good profit by operating lesser trains, and getting ppl to squeeze like sardines ? Hmmm another reason to increase shareholders value ? Gimme a break !

i dunno, i think if they increase more trains...

the probability of MRT crashes will increase.

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
most ppl will be in office by 9am so it's considered off peak for trains...the waiting time is longer to fill up the trains...to maximise profits...

Singapore...population roughly 5 million...3 and a half mrt lines (circle line considered half opened)...
http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/network_map.asp

Tokyo...population ard 13millions...13 subway lines

http://www.tokyometro.jp/rosen/rosenzu/pdf/rosen_eng.pdf

Theoretically...our trains should be more crowded...we can take trains in the morning to squeeze butts...lol