• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why do we need gas attendants in Singapore?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is what cameras are for. Over here if you don't pay, they will report it as theft to the police with the video.

Paying low wage senior citizen is cheaper. You can also use them to pump gas, clean the windows of cars, do area cleaning,....
With cameras you have to pay for installation, maintenance, enforcement,.. Getting into messy disputes because I'm sure dealing with cheapo car owners can be challenging:smile:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In US you have to pay a deposit first before you can pump gas.
This is to make sure you don't pump and run,..without paying:wink:

The attendants are there as security guards, to keep an eye in case some people are tempted.

At night in JB petrol stations the attendant hide behind the thick glass counter....won't come out of it under any circumstance.

Those who dunno how to pump petrol should employ a chauffeur or not drive.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I actually like this system very much. People say they don't know what petrol to use, where is the filling cap etc etc then I say they need to bloody learn la its not rocket science right or not always must spoon-fed, sigh.

It's the education system in Spore where there is an over emphasis on theory:smile:
Sporeans are good at craming & memorising but are weak on the practical side. If it is not taught at school, then it is obviously not important attitude :o

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro halsey02 may I divert a little about FT and manpower issue and discuss a little about carwash?

Auto carwash is harmful to your car paintwork. It creats micro scratches from the very first time you put your car in a auto carwash. You think you don't see it but under the sun it become very obvious, those swirls you see. Having said that manual washing can also cause this if the you are not careful using the same sponge with the wheels or when you drop your sponge on the floor. Another very harmful thing to do to your auto paintwork is dusting your car with a feather duster or that thing that look like a mop. To remove the micro scratches the only way is to use polishing compound which contains very mocro abrasive to remove a very thin layer of your paint then followed by fine-finishing. I know this pretty well because I produce my own compound and buff for the Thailand market but only use by professional bodywork shops not retail. In Thailand most people go for manual carwash so its very rare you can find automatic carwash.

You have valid reasons for not having an auto car wash, but I don't think that is the primary reason here, we know best, the consumer never benefit from any coast savings or even protection for the vehicle..it is minimum costs & maximum profits ( they learn from the best). I can feel it in my bones, that, manual car wash, is to provide "guess the race", employment...

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, I found that to be the exact case as well. How can it be world class if its so imbalanced in other aspects of life?
It's the education system in Spore where there is an over emphasis on theory:smile:
Sporeans are good at craming & memorising but are weak on the practical side. If it is not taught at school, then it is obviously not important attitude :o

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You have valid reasons for not having an auto car wash, but I don't think that is the primary reason here, we know best, the consumer never benefit from any coast savings or even protection for the vehicle..it is minimum costs & maximum profits ( they learn from the best). I can feel it in my bones, that, manual car wash, is to provide "guess the race", employment...

understood bro, but then if you could wash your own car is the best to prolong your paintwork.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a simple "no-brainer" task. I have many imes asked this question. The only explanation I can come up with is the need to be served.

Another question - how many drivers here are able to change a flat tyre?

Cheers!

Running low on gas so got to pull up at the nearest gas station. No gas attendants around so got to do everything myself. No prob. Later got to thinking why we need gas attendants in the first place? When I drive in the US, I have to pump myself and pay by credit card automatically. Petrol already so expensive, why do we need to this cost to it? Of course I realize my suggestions means a lot of Ah Peks may be out of work but this should not distract from my question.

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans do not DIY.
Same case with maids.
By the way, do you tip the uncle if he cleans your windshield?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
My cars are on run-flats leh. How?

Run flats - as far as I know are rare. And you still have only about 50 km before they need to be changed? Also, they were originally designed such that the tyre wouldn't blowout - but they still deflate right? Hopefully you reach a tyre shop/gas station before they're worn. Anyways, tyres these days are well made and punctures from nails and tacks are rare.

Cheers!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Run flats - as far as I know are rare. And you still have only about 50 km before they need to be changed? Also, they were originally designed such that the tyre wouldn't blowout - but they still deflate right? Hopefully you reach a tyre shop/gas station before they're worn. Anyways, tyres these days are well made and punctures from nails and tacks are rare.

Cheers!

Hope that they can refine the airless tyres and make it mass market.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airless_tire

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a simple "no-brainer" task. I have many imes asked this question. The only explanation I can come up with is the need to be served.

Another question - how many drivers here are able to change a flat tyre?

Cheers!

change flat tyre twice, once before i even got driving license.

now VW give 3yrs breakdown service, so just call them and they will come within an hour to repair and re-inflate the type plus top up water and engine oil foc. :biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what wrong with gas station attendants? i doubt local fuel companies will give extra discount so that drivers have to diy. there are too many siao drivers in singapore. i once saw an ah beng refueling his golf with the engine running as the gf blow aircon inside the car. knn, i quickly drove off despite my vehicle already running on fumes.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exactly the same reason why we need so many fucking useless ministers in this pathetically small island.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rare? I know all BMWs have run-flats now bare 1 model.

Cheers!