• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why do people like to wear Rolex?

chinkandoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why?? I mean, it's meant to be a luxurious item right??

Then why do I see uncles n aunties wearing it, some are guarding toilet...some are cleaners in foodcourt, but yet they wear blink blink rolex...:confused:

Is it to show off? I mean if you r getting off well, you won't be working there right? Not that I look down on cleaners at all, I just don't understand the concept here. You be a cleaner for 1 year, save like hell, to buy a piece of metal on yr wrist?? :confused:

I personally wear a Casio (with alarm), which has been with me for 7 yrs liao..

What do you guys think? Am I correct?

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
cause can get Rolex easily @ pasar malam stalls...the well known it is..the more it get imitated..juz like LV..:wink:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
coz thats the only luxury watch brand they know.....in europe rolex is only around mid range luxury brand

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We should in fact pity them. The Rolex may be the only thing they have. When they are outside wearing it people like you think they are rich and come to sammyboy forum to post about them.

but when they return home they get scolding by spouse, children blame them for gambling the family savings away, neighbours look down on them, even dogs poop on their legs, and sometimes they don't even have mattress to sleep on.

Its very sad really.

Why?? I mean, it's meant to be a luxurious item right??

Then why do I see uncles n aunties wearing it, some are guarding toilet...some are cleaners in foodcourt, but yet they wear blink blink rolex...:confused:

Is it to show off? I mean if you r getting off well, you won't be working there right? Not that I look down on cleaners at all, I just don't understand the concept here. You be a cleaner for 1 year, save like hell, to buy a piece of metal on yr wrist?? :confused:

I personally wear a Casio (with alarm), which has been with me for 7 yrs liao..

What do you guys think? Am I correct?

tommy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because immitation Rolex are easily available and cheap and people cannot tell apart between a genuine Rolex and fake Rolex.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Because immitation Rolex are easily available and cheap and people cannot tell apart between a genuine Rolex and fake Rolex.

good things always got immitation ...because there are in demand and most people cannot afford it . :wink:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What's wrong with Rolex? I wear one. It looks nice and tells time.

Tourbillon, Minute repeaters, Chronograph are one of the movement i like . i had a rare 1970s Rolex Vintage Daytona Paul Newman Chronograph :wink: . i enjoy study history of watches and their movement .

i love to collect watches too . Every man need a good watch .

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tourbillon, Minute repeaters, Chronograph are one of the movement i like . i had a rare 1970s Rolex Vintage Daytona Paul Newman Chronograph :wink: . i enjoy study history of watches and their movement .

i love to collect watches too . Every man need a good watch .

Yeah. Manual/analog watch are really hard to make especially those have leap year calender. Only small space with so many gear and spring. Not many have the skill doing it. Need a lot of patient and determination just to finish a watch.
I never wear digital watch.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
What's wrong with Rolex? I wear one. It looks nice and tells time.

Rolex is good only if the crowd you hang out with appreciates it but if they are truly well travelled, they would not be that impressed, to some, its only as good or slightly better than Omega and below Patek, Panerai etc.

If ones peers are only the Datejust standard, they will look at your Daytona with MOP or champagne face with diamonds and ask whats that? "It isn't even gold" or "its just TT", how much could it be worth?

Many years ago in my friends old house, he had neighours who for years wondered why he had cameras outside his place and some even asked him if its because they owed money to loan sharks and sneered at him.

Little did they know they were sleeping next to a flat which has 3 sets of quad watchwinders with GMT II and Daytonas in them. He was a real serious collector/investor of those rare models or those with Zenith movement. I know they are real as i went with him to collect them when he sent in for servicing.

I still remember the white coat techs always look up and smile at him when they see a whole collection coming in at once.

The fella always just smiled and never revealed how well he was doing to his neighbours. His reasoning was, if you are a plane and know you are a plane, why get angry with a motorcycle?

Whenever they see him with a luggage, they will always ask, go Malaysia ah?
He just smiles and say yes even though he just came back from UK.

Last i know he sold his watches and bought a semi-d in Malaysia and he really is in Malaysia these days.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi drifter, if i am not wrong, your 1970s Rolex Vintage Daytona Paul Newman Chronograph would be worth 100 plus k now if its really mint and in good condition.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are rich, you have houses, fast cars, stocks and cash. You may even have a few mistresses.

Wearing an expensive watch doesn't mean you are rich.