• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why are Singaporeans so miserable and caustic?

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Manfrommars,

What you just described were the early days of Sin island. People at that time are friendly & easy going. It is very common to chat up with strangers on the street.
People living in kampong knew each other, they don't even lock their door during the daytime. But, I must say some can be very hostile to strangers coming near their house or even their neighbour house.

Living in rooms clamped with 10 persons as in your earlier post is unheard of as most of the attap houses at that time are quite spacious.

Can disclosed which part of Sin island you grew up? My post is based on my observations in the early 70s.

What are you talking about bro?

In the 60s and 70s people lived in townhouses....the Chinese lived in the second storey of shophouses...they rented one room and everyone stayed in that room...from father to grandfather...the streets were unsafe...there were race riots...fights daily...many thieves and gangsters....

Only the rich could afford landed houses...not the average folk.

Last edited:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't live in Singapore.

I live in an imperfect country, with many many problems.

But some people still take the time to say 'hi' on the streets, even to strangers. And one can chat up strangers on the street, some people are more willing to lend a helping hand, people hold lift doors open, people thank the bus driver when they get off the bus, etc.

Imperfect country!! Have you typed wrongly...

Imperfect country with many many problems....

But where some people still have time to say "Hi" without any "Sigh" even to strangers..

And can chat up strangers and meet people who are more willing to give a helping hand.

An imperfect country where you still have functioning lifts for people to hold open for others.

Where people say "Thank you" to bus drivers...

That Imperfect country must be PINOYLAND.

Hope my answer is PERFECT.

Sorry here we cannot say Thank you to our bus drivers.

These poor guys do not understand simple Ingerish and that is a FARK.

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal

Imperfect country!! Have you typed wrongly...

Imperfect country with many many problems....

But where some people still have time to say "Hi" without any "Sigh" even to strangers..

And can chat up strangers and meet people who are more willing to give a helping hand.

An imperfect country where you still have functioning lifts for people to hold open for others.

Where people say "Thank you" to bus drivers...

That Imperfect country must be PINOYLAND.

Hope my answer is PERFECT.

Sorry here we cannot say Thank you to our bus drivers.

These poor guys do not understand simple Ingerish and that is a FARK.

No I live in a developed country.

Assuming you have lived abroad in a Western European country or Japan, basically first true world countries, not fake ones like Singapore where you need the national press and kuan yew to keep convincing you you are in heaven...you would understand what I am talking about.

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singaporeans are one of the most unhappy nations in the world. This has been well-known fact internationally. However, PAP msm wanted us to wear a smiling mask to fool the world and in turn give PAP the fake credit too.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Assuming you have lived abroad in a Western European country or Japan, basically first true world countries, not fake ones like Singapore where you need the national press and kuan yew to keep convincing you you are in heaven...you would understand what I am talking about.

Sir, I am NOT differing with you.

Please accept that among us we also have people that are CHIVALROUS to hold doors open for others.

We do say Thank you when we board the bus (YES WE DO NOT SAY THANK YOU WHEN WE ALIGHT as the EXIT door is far from the driver)

We however, would wave Thanks at him /her as we walk past the still stationary bus.

Whether the driver understands or not isn't the issue but we do make it a point..

We still help the less fortunate as Individuals.

Certainly when we (who are many around still) are labelled as UNHELPFUL feels hurt.

I am sure that even in Japan and many EU countries you still have the BAD ones around.

So sorry. Did'nt mean to hurt you bro / sis.......

manfrommars

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sir, I am NOT differing with you.

Please accept that among us we also have people that are CHIVALROUS to hold doors open for others.

We do say Thank you when we board the bus (YES WE DO NOT SAY THANK YOU WHEN WE ALIGHT as the EXIT door is far from the driver)

We however, would wave Thanks at him /her as we walk past the still stationary bus.

Whether the driver understands or not isn't the issue but we do make it a point..

We still help the less fortunate as Individuals.

Certainly when we (who are many around still) are labelled as UNHELPFUL feels hurt.

I am sure that even in Japan and many EU countries you still have the BAD ones around.

So sorry. Did'nt mean to hurt you bro / sis.......

Of course there are many bad people around in every country.

But I have never seen anyone say thank you to the bus driver, or smile at strangers then say 'hi how are you' and stop to chat and show concern about his life in Singapore...or let you, a complete stranger, hitch a ride in his car.

If you don't believe me, try standing by the side of Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 and try to hitch a ride with your thumb up.

Bring your umbrella and sleeping bag, you will be there for months.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I got it, I guess we lived in a different world at that point of time.
We have different exposures, hence we have different views on that.
You were probably living in some town area whereas I was brought up in chinese kampong (all speaking the same dialect). Gangsters yes alot! But, those gangsters in my kampong were protecting us.

We stayed in attap houses, not town houses. The rich owns lands, because landed houses were cheap then.

Thanks for sharing!
What are you talking about bro?

In the 60s and 70s people lived in townhouses....the Chinese lived in the second storey of shophouses...they rented one room and everyone stayed in that room...from father to grandfather...the streets were unsafe...there were race riots...fights daily...many thieves and gangsters....

Only the rich could afford landed houses...not the average folk.

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi myfoot123,

Let us take an example, average US guys fresh from school, can owned house and car after working for at least 5 years. After that, he can either take things for granted or start to save a little at a time for retirement.

Put it this way, the day you were borned, you already in debt with 2 years NS. As you grow older, study loaned, house loaned and if including car loaned and etc, how many years need to pay and pay before clearing all the debts, and then planned for retirement? End up cannot retire because money not enough :smile:

How to be happy?

Singaporeans are one of the most unhappy nations in the world. This has been well-known fact internationally. However, PAP msm wanted us to wear a smiling mask to fool the world and in turn give PAP the fake credit too.

Last edited:

summervale

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Manfrommars,

Can you enlightened the forumers here including me?
I have lived, studied and worked aboard for sometime, I still don't get what you mean. :smile:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm more intrigued to know why Singaporeans are so dumb. Can any1 here enlighten me pls? :smile:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm more intrigued to know why Singaporeans are so dumb. Can any1 here enlighten me pls? :smile:

If you are referring to 60% dumbasses, I want to know too. It is not difficult to see their faces, on TV, when they were rallying and doing all funny activities with PAP MPs.

jw5

Loyal
Leave these sinkies alone.
There is nothing wrong with being miserable and caustic or even showing a sour face, as long as they don't harm anyone or show inconsiderate behaviour.
Life can be tough.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just go around HDB voidecks each evening and the answer is cLear.Cos we got so many dumb pLayers..
How not to be miserable when the pappies are screwing the peasant day in day out. KNN, no car one, take MRT got breakdown. Got car one lagi worst, car moving must pay, car stationary also must pay. Worst of the worst, peasants have to share 700 sqm of living places with FTs. How not to be miserable?

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
Just go around HDB voidecks each evening and the answer is cLear.Cos we got so many dumb pLayers..

Dumb is actually a very good game to play to pass time. Easy to understand, easy to play, quick to finish, needs some skill and luck.
Good for airport, airplane, long coach rides, etc.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dumb is actually a very good game to play to pass time. Easy to understand, easy to play, quick to finish, needs some skill and luck.
Good for airport, airplane, long coach rides, etc.
Environment friendly too. Can use bottle caps to represent black and white.

jw5

Loyal
Environment friendly too. Can use bottle caps to represent black and white.

Bro, u must still be thinking of glass beer or soft drink bottles, which are rare in SG these days.
Now we would need to collect a lot of plastic bottle caps.
Or also can use coins on a piece of paper drawn with lines, don't even need to get a chess or dumb game set.