• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where can I find KL style Hokkien mee in Spore?

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
As above. Im referring to those "tai look" mee with black sauce with plenty of bar yew pork. The ones I had in Msia are from old PJ SS222 & Chee Cheong Kai. For those who have eaten before, you'll know how tasty it is.
And I have plenty of friends who always go in JB or KL to eat this noodle. Problem is, how come this speciality is not being offered here?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kelliney @ Jalan Besar or the street next to Raffles Hotel. Its the closest you can get. Ask for drier version.

Katana

Alfrescian
Loyal
As above. Im referring to those "tai look" mee with black sauce with plenty of bar yew pork. The ones I had in Msia are from old PJ SS222 & Chee Cheong Kai. For those who have eaten before, you'll know how tasty it is.
And I have plenty of friends who always go in JB or KL to eat this noodle. Problem is, how come this speciality is not being offered here?

Why don't you hire them or learn their recipe and start one here?

fattychin

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can find it at this address:-
BIG EATER SEAFOOD
34 Jalan Pari Burong (Upper Changi Road)
Picardy Garden
Singapore 488700
Tel: 6245-7268

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's probably unlikely the recipe can be significantly replicated in S'pore. There are several factors:
  • First, the ingredients - the tai lok mee is not easily available and would almost certainly raise costs to unacceptable levels;
  • Next, I am not sure there is sufficient market for that type of cooking, which let's face it, is unhealthy;
  • Finally, and most importantly, the fire. The dish is typically cooked over what seems like a charcoal forge stove, i.e. it is charcoal fired and the flame is is force-fed by a strong fan to make it very hot. This heat means that any ingredient going into the wok can easily be burnt. The cook thus has to constantly and rapidly toss the ingredients so that they don't burn but instead gets cooked nicely - very tough physical work. Done right the surface of the noodles caramelise without burning, giving it that distinct taste we don't get here.

Perhaps we need to keep going to KL.

Last edited:

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's probably unlikely the recipe can be significantly related in S'pore. There are several factors:
  • First, the ingredients - the tai lok mee is not easily available and would almost certainly raise costs to unacceptable levels;
  • Next, I am not sure there is sufficient market for that type of cooking, which let's face it, is unhealthy;
  • Finally, and most importantly, the fire. The dish is typically cooked over what seems like a charcoal forge stove, i.e. it is charcoal fired and the flame is is force-fed by a strong fan to make it very hot. This heat means that any ingredient going into the wok can easily be burnt. The cook thus has to constantly and rapidly toss the ingredients so that they don't burn but instead gets cooked nicely - very tough physical work. Done right the surface of the noodles caramelise without burning, giving it that distinct taste we don't get here.

Perhaps we need to keep going to KL.

Not true. I think there's already a mass market in Spore who love this version of noodle. Ive also known some food critic who swear by this noodle but somehow, there's no writeup about it as, like you mentioned, not a healthy dish. But hey, we only live once.

And yes, perhaps we all need to head up to KL more often than not.

JinGanKor

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can find it at this address:-
BIG EATER SEAFOOD
34 Jalan Pari Burong (Upper Changi Road)
Picardy Garden
Singapore 488700
Tel: 6245-7268

$4.80 for that, nothing fantastic. And better go early if not expect to wait for 30 mins and above.

sfugel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not a big fan of Big Eater anymore,coz of their corkage charges now.A good number of my makan buddies have also boycotted that place.And if they had wanted to imposed the $20 corkage at least improve their wine list!.....All the have is 2 whites and 2 reds to select from!WTF!