• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what are your life goals after you reach 40?

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Of course nobody can carry on forever and if I do have a massive heart attack while out cycling or jogging, it would be the way that I want to go so I'll carry on peddling my bike up mountain paths for as long as I can.
I can understand your addiction to sport especially when going about in a group. Unknowingly, we pushed each other on. I realized the folly a few years back after a running kaki passed on a few weeks after completing the ultra marathon. He succumbed to a common virus infection. We learnt later that he had just recovered from a flu before the run. He developed a fever the next day, see doc got mc and rest at home, hospitalized subsequently and the condition just keep deteriorating. It might be better for him if he had just collapsed during the run (doing the thing he enjoyed most).

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I can understand your addiction to sport especially when going about in a group. Unknowingly, we pushed each other on. I realized the folly a few years back after a running kaki passed on a few weeks after completing the ultra marathon. He succumbed to a common virus infection. We learnt later that he had just recovered from a flu before the run. He developed a fever the next day, see doc got mc and rest at home, hospitalized subsequently and the condition just keep deteriorating. It might be better for him if he had just collapsed during the run (doing the thing he enjoyed most).

That was a foolish thing to do. Exercising too soon after a bout of flu can kill at any age. The same thing happened to the son of one of Singapore's renowned surgeons.

Google Myocarditis and Endocarditis. Everyone is at risk regardless of age and fitness levels.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That was a foolish thing to do. Exercising too soon after a bout of flu can kill at any age. The same thing happened to the son of one of Singapore's renowned surgeons.

Google Myocarditis and Endocarditis. Everyone is at risk regardless of age and fitness levels.
Yes on hindsight it was stupid. However, the problem with sportsmen is "mind over body". They are super fit and it was only a minor flu. He didn't even see a doc for it. I am sure he had done it many times before and nothing happened. He didn't realized that he was hitting 60 and his body was no longer the same. The message I am putting across to aged sportsmen is "listen more to our body, remember that our pain threshold is higher, don't hesitate to stop at the slightest sign of discomfort, never try to run away the pain."

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing I do know, once we start to cut down on the late nights and drinking, couple with a regular exercise regime, you can be sure of getting one's BP down and cholesterol down.

Have been there, the BP is now at 130/80 below, definitely fitter, though now there is tendency to overeat again.
As the nick goes, it's lifeafter41.........
I got a friend name k.
he is taxi driver.
one day he got a stoke while driving

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got a friend name k.
he is taxi driver.
one day he got a stoke while driving

wah lau, that's dam dangerous for himself, passenger and other road users.

do taxi drivers have to go for regular health checks before their licences are renewed?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
wah lau, that's dam dangerous for himself, passenger and other road users.

do taxi drivers have to go for regular health checks before their licences are renewed?

A health check isn't going to reveal the potential for a stroke. It can happen to the healthiest amongst us.

An Air New Zealand pilot recently had a stroke while landing the new Boeing Dreamliner. Pilots are subject to the most stringent health checks known to man.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One thing I do know, once we start to cut down on the late nights and drinking, couple with a regular exercise regime, you can be sure of getting one's BP down and cholesterol down.

Have been there, the BP is now at 130/80 below, definitely fitter, though now there is tendency to overeat again.
As the nick goes, it's lifeafter41.........

If you think you are overeating just balance it out with more exercise or consider adopting a mediterranean diet.

Was just watching the BBC news & they recommend adopting the Mediterranean diet which has fish, more fruits, veggies, nuts, olive oil,... If you eat healthy you don't have to count calories.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My greatest accomplishment was to set up multiple streams of income. I started on this path because at uni, I played too much with the girls and didn't graduate with good results. I was disappointed at first, but it turned out that I had the last laugh. Most of my peers who had good results, went to be very hardworking rats. One of them even suffered miscarriage due to overwork, but the organization disavowed all responsibility and even rewarded her with a 'Best Employee' award, with an extra month's performance bonus.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
i may know your friend...same story, worked non-stop at one the big four and ended up miscarriage, now she is residing in melbourne with her hubby.

My greatest accomplishment was to set up multiple streams of income. I started on this path because at uni, I played too much with the girls and didn't graduate with good results. I was disappointed at first, but it turned out that I had the last laugh. Most of my peers who had good results, went to be very hardworking rats. One of them even suffered miscarriage due to overwork, but the organization disavowed all responsibility and even rewarded her with a 'Best Employee' award, with an extra month's performance bonus.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i may know your friend...same story, worked non-stop at one the big four and ended up miscarriage, now she is residing in melbourne with her hubby.

I forgot to add that vast majority of my uni friends did not set up multiple streams of income; sideline, business venture, rental, dividends, etc etc. Most of them placed their hopes on their degrees and willingness to work long hours in order to be promoted. It seemed like the natural choice for most fresh grads back then and even today. Some may succeed and rise to become CEOs or CFOs, but vast majority do not make it. They end up as salary slaves, and eventually end up either with poor health and nothing to show for it, or get prematurely retrenched and replaced by foreign trash. Two of my uni friends already were already driving taxis by the time they reached 40. Ten years ago, they were still pubbing, eating regularly at posh restaurants and holidaying to Europe.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i read your post with mixed feelings and i think many out there wanted a 2nd stream of income but are unable to do so, maybe due to family commitment or something else. it's not as easy as you think, time and effort is the major concern, the easiest is shares speculation.

I forgot to add that vast majority of my uni friends did not set up multiple streams of income; sideline, business venture, rental, dividends, etc etc. Most of them placed their hopes on their degrees and willingness to work long hours in order to be promoted. It seemed like the natural choice for most fresh grads back then and even today. Some may succeed and rise to become CEOs or CFOs, but vast majority do not make it. They end up as salary slaves, and eventually end up either with poor health and nothing to show for it, or get prematurely retrenched and replaced by foreign trash. Two of my uni friends already were already driving taxis by the time they reached 40. Ten years ago, they were still pubbing, eating regularly at posh restaurants and holidaying to Europe.

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I suggest getting the degree after retirement.

It meant you are financially stable; and getting the degree is only a hobby.

A degree before you start work may sent you to a wrong field of work which may not suit you at all.