• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what are your life goals after you reach 40?

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when you reach 40 what adjustments do you make in life?

can the seniors in this forum please advise...thxs.:smile:

Plenty, firstly, your aged parents will be visiting the clinic/hospital more often, those with chronic illness, even more often.
High blood pressure, heart problem, diabetes, cancer.....etc. if combo, lagi jialat.
Rest assured, you will be very familiar with most of the hospital in Singapore, NUH, TTSH, SGH, KTP.......

2nd, attending funeral wake......maybe at later part, after 40.
Recently just attended a classmate funeral wake. He is only 47+, just passed away. No signs, symptoms, or whatever. Just passed away in his sleep.

You will find that, it take longer to recover from the binge drinking, pubbing, or late nights out, have to literally drag oneself out of bed.

Please add on........

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You will find that, it take longer to recover from the binge drinking, pubbing, or late nights out, have to literally drag oneself out of bed.

Please add on........

I found absolutely no downsides from hitting 40. In fact things have got a lot better. My blood pressure has dropped from the 140/90 range to 130/75 without any medication and my cholesterol readings are far better now than they were when I was younger.

I am also a lot fitter and have more energy.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's all in the mind some people are already dead
Caring only for char kway teow mee siam no hum
Farticulus Maximus alias Harry continued to rule with vigour
Whacking imaginary enemies with dusters in cul de sacs

[video=youtube;9E6-AYce-_M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6-AYce-_M[/video]

For a more inspirational version which I had posted before, please click below. By the way, Peter Seeger recently died, another good man who passed away before the devil incarnate, so don't believe in karma. If you want freedom, you gonna be prepared to fight for it. Otherwise, you don't deserve freedom, it's as simple as that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezyd40kJFq0

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I found absolutely no downsides from hitting 40. In fact things have got a lot better. My blood pressure has dropped from the 140/90 range to 130/75 without any medication and my cholesterol readings are far better now than they were when I was younger.

This is known as 返老還童 !

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is the advantage of retiring early. It enables one to concentrate on the more important things in life.

The Ang Mohs know it best! Look at their retirees enjoying life! Look at our retirees collecting cardboard... Ang Mohs are the BESTEST!

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have been attending my friends' parent funeral for the past few years. i also had a friend who pass away few months ago, in his sleep, age only 42 and just married only for a couple of years.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

One thing I do know, once we start to cut down on the late nights and drinking, couple with a regular exercise regime, you can be sure of getting one's BP down and cholesterol down.

Have been there, the BP is now at 130/80 below, definitely fitter, though now there is tendency to overeat again.
As the nick goes, it's lifeafter41.........

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The Ang Mohs know it best! Look at their retirees enjoying life! Look at our retirees collecting cardboard... Ang Mohs are the BESTEST!

I don't know about Ang Mohs in other countries but in NZ, the retirement age is 65 and that is way beyond the point of redemption.

Very few Ang Mohs are able to retire early and it is because they have grown up with the notion that the state is obligated to take care of all their needs.

Very few bother to even save for retirement. The attitude is "I've paid my taxes" so I expect to get them back in the form of a pension. Sadly, by the time superannuation kicks in, many are already way past their "use by" dates.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
boss sam, another of my old school friend is migrating to NZ, any advice i can relate to him?:o

I don't know about Ang Mohs in other countries but in NZ, the retirement age is 65 and that is way beyond the point of redemption.

Very few Ang Mohs are able to retire early and it is because they have grown up with the notion that the state is obligated to take care of all their needs.

Very few bother to even save for retirement. The attitude is "I've paid my taxes" so I expect to get them back in the form of a pension. Sadly, by the time superannuation kicks in, many are already way past their "use by" dates.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
One thing I do know, once we start to cut down on the late nights and drinking, couple with a regular exercise regime, you can be sure of getting one's BP down and cholesterol down.

In my late 20s and 30s, I spent a lot of time with clients and friends and abused the body as we all do when we think we're bullet proof.

Once I retired in my early 40s, I finally had the time to go get back to the active lifestyle that I enjoyed so much during my student years. The health benefits were tremendous.

I definitely subscribe to the notion that life begins at 40 and it can be that way for everyone provided they follow my advice regarding how to become financially independent at a young an age as possible.

Now that I have 2 to 2 hours of exercise 5 days a week plus I don't touch any alcohol, all my health indicators are well within range.

My only worry are those beyond my control eg stroke, cancer etc.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My only worry are those beyond my control eg stroke, cancer etc.
Just to add one more, it is heart attack. It is misconception that it doesn't happen to healthy individual. It does. A close friend, suffered an attack recently while cycling. He is fitter than any school athlete.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Just to add one more, it is heart attack. It is misconception that it doesn't happen to healthy individual. It does. A close friend, suffered an attack recently while cycling. He is fitter than any school athlete.

Anyone can get a heart attack but if you exercise regularly, it reduces the risk considerably.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone can get a heart attack but if you exercise regularly, it reduces the risk considerably.
The risk of heart attack increases once we age. Our blood vessels weakens and may tear any time especially when doing strenuous exercise. Based on the doc, one of the vessels might have broken and the normal body reaction is for the blood to clot so as to seal the tear. Somehow, the clot dislodge before it can dissolve on its own (maybe due to exercise again) and travelled to the heart, blocking one of the arteries resulting in a heart attack.

Therefore, we should age gracefully and cut down on strenuous exercises. Respect the fact that our system has become weak and fragile. Don't ask others to prop us up if we can no longer stand on our own. It is bad for the body.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Therefore, we should age gracefully and cut down on strenuous exercises. Respect the fact that our system has become weak and fragile. Don't ask others to prop us up if we can no longer stand on our own. It is bad for the body.

That's the Asian concept of old age. In the West many old farts continue competitive endurance sports well into their 70s and 80s. Very few die of heart attacks or strokes which are far more common in those who live sedentary lifestyles. In my cycling group there are many who are 65 and over.

Regular exercise improves the cardiovascular system and postpones the aging of the arteries. It also plays a huge part in keeping type 2 diabetes at bay. Diabetes does not kill a person outright but it lowers the quality of life considerably and can cause blindness and destroy the nervous system. It is one of the worst diseases to wish upon anyone.

Of course nobody can carry on forever and if I do have a massive heart attack while out cycling or jogging, it would be the way that I want to go so I'll carry on peddling my bike up mountain paths for as long as I can.