• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Using Angmoh in 'Speak Mandarin Campaign' TV advertisement

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any bro here saw the latest 'Speak Mandarin Campaign' advertisement on TV?

The ad engaged Angmohs. The lady & the two kids are the wife & daughters of Jim Rogers, the famous investment guru who resides in Singapore now.

(1) Anyone find the timing of this advertisement strange? It came out when there is a lot of disputes on Mandarin & dialects usage, as addressed by MM Lee recently.

(2) Why use foreigners in such campaign? Is it to put locals on a shameful & embarrasing spot or to emphasize the talents of foreigners in S'pore? No wonder, Jim Rogers insists on using a China nanny to coach her daughters to speak Mandarin, instead of a local. He was quoted on TV & news before that he wants his daughters to learn the 'China Chinese', not the 'S'pore Chinese'. Even he also looked down on the Chinese standard of locals.

With such strong pro-foreigner signals sent to the locals, no wonder many Singaporeans feel inferior & feel that they are 2nd tier citizens. Very sad....:(

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Na bei Ang Mo can speak Mandarin Tua Kee issit?

I'm in China and has often been commended by the locals for speaking better "Pu Tong Hua" than a lot of their country men. They also praised S'poreans for our ability to speak multi-language including dialects. So who say speak dialect no good? Who said dialect will erode our mother tongue so they cannot co-exist?

Btw there are tons of Ang Mos here in China who can speak excellent Mandarin (some even peform "Xiang Sheng" on stage!) so no big deal lah.......

Btw there are tons of Ang Mo here in China

Tiu Kwang Yew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Today, 11:24 AM
Tiu Kwang Yew
Alfrescian (S) Join Date: Feb 2009
My Reputation:Points: 44 / Power: 2

The Wayang Party, please help !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some days ago, we heard some stupid things about speaking the dialect (mandarin) at home and to connect 1.3 billion PRCs.

I remember the focus was on Chinese families in Singapore to speak to their children in Mandarin dialect.
But how come the speak -mandarin- dialect campaign Ad is a different story.

The campaigners are using a Ang Moh girl to spout the dialect on the TV, it seems wierd becos the focus is on chinese families, but why a Ang Moh FT child is on the TV?

Why not they use local Malays or local Indians if they hate the local chinese so much??

By the way, if this is a nation wide campaign, why not also have the AD on indian and malay channels using the local natives???

If this is a cosmopolitan effort, then the campaigners must convince the local chinese that there is a correction, speak mandarin campaign is for the nation and not only the chinese. People must apologise for the mistake becos the Ad is insulting.

But still i think the happy campaigners should show respect to the local population however second class they are.

Mr wayang party, please interview the public at Ang Moh Kio and ask them the confusion over the speaking of this dialect using a Ang Moh girl as a model.

thank you very much.

jw5

Loyal

The ad engaged Angmohs. The lady & the two kids are the wife & daughters of Jim Rogers, the famous investment guru who resides in Singapore now.

(1) Anyone find the timing of this advertisement strange? It came out when there is a lot of disputes on Mandarin & dialects usage, as addressed by MM Lee recently.

(2) Why use foreigners in such campaign? Is it to put locals on a shameful & embarrasing spot or to emphasize the talents of foreigners in S'pore? No wonder, Jim Rogers insists on using a China nanny to coach her daughters to speak Mandarin, instead of a local. He was quoted on TV & news before that he wants his daughters to learn the 'China Chinese', not the 'S'pore Chinese'. Even he also looked down on the Chinese standard of locals.

With such strong pro-foreigner signals sent to the locals, no wonder many Singaporeans feel inferior & feel that they are 2nd tier citizens. Very sad....:(
Dear Jimmy is bullish on China. But why isn't he living in China?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

two points i wanna make.

1. speak mandarin campaign is bullshit. if the PAP gahmen is sincere in Chinese use more of mandarin, they would have do something to our education system. its been wayang for years, and whats the result of this campaign? less and less Chinese using mandarin. which means speak mandarin campaign is a failure.

2. yes, why use ang moh FT in the speak mandarin campaign ad?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Na bei Ang Mo can speak Mandarin Tua Kee issit?

I'm in China and has often been commended by the locals for speaking better "Pu Tong Hua" than a lot of their country men. They also praised S'poreans for our ability to speak multi-language including dialects. So who say speak dialect no good? Who said dialect will erode our mother tongue so they cannot co-exist?

LKY and his Principle Secretary...:biggrin:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the elitist way of making you speak Mandarin is to SHAME you by using angmohs who can speak better Mandarin than u.

So much for "soft" approach..

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is telling Singaporean," See foreigners are letting their children to learn languages other than theirs. You better make sure your children go learn other languages than your own mother tongue, otherwise you will be kicked out of the competition!"

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
why is it that when an angmo speaks chinese...some idiots will go "wahh...he can speak mandarin" ????? really dun understand dat thought...i can speak english as a 2nd language better than he can speak chinese as a 2nd language...phui!

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
two points i wanna make.

1. speak mandarin campaign is bullshit. if the PAP gahmen is sincere in Chinese use more of mandarin, they would have do something to our education system. its been wayang for years, and whats the result of this campaign? less and less Chinese using mandarin. which means speak mandarin campaign is a failure.

2. yes, why use ang moh FT in the speak mandarin campaign ad?

PAP dog, stop trying to promote PAP mandarin only policy? pretend to slam PAP but in reality you are trying sya "Mandarin only" is good at the epxense of dialects..... this dog cannot even answer a simple question in chinese and yet he pretend he is chinese

關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之

鳩 rhymes with 洲, 女and 逑?
菜 rhymes with 女 and 之?

if you are chinese, tell me whether this poem rhymes....? dirty roach

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP dog, stop trying to promote PAP mandarin only policy? pretend to slam PAP but in reality you are trying sya "Mandarin only" is good at the epxense of dialects..... this dog cannot even answer a simple question in chinese and yet he pretend he is chinese

關關雎鳩 在河之洲 窈窕淑女 君子好逑
參差荇菜 左右流之 窈窕淑女 寤寐求之
求之不得 寤寐思服 悠哉悠哉 輾轉反側
參差荇菜 左右采之 窈窕淑女 琴瑟友之
參差荇菜 左右芼之 窈窕淑女 鐘鼓樂之

鳩 rhymes with 洲, 女and 逑?
菜 rhymes with 女 and 之?

if you are chinese, tell me whether this poem rhymes....? dirty roach

when did i pretend to slam pap? PAP eradicate dialect here, we should all condemn that. but what is wrong for chinese to speak a universal spoken language mandarin among different dialect group? what do u suggest then? speak english among chinese?

i don't care whether it rhymes or not. it sounds much better in mandarin than in ancient chinese.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when did i pretend to slam pap? PAP eradicate dialect here, we should all condemn that. but what is wrong for chinese to speak a universal spoken language mandarin among different dialect group? what do u suggest then? speak english among chinese?

i don't care whether it rhymes or not. it sounds much better in mandarin than in ancient chinese.
ang moh speak english big fuck....go to china will also stand out like a sore prick. Open mouth people might say wow - you can speak chinese but thats it. they won't feel closer to you nor will they feel you are one of them. The Chinese can still katok you like no body's business.

Our ministers can speak chinese, still kenna katok of the Suzhou Industrial Park - what about ang mohs?

I disagree the putting down of dialects - in fact, i will teach my children cantonese - why? Bcos if you do business in Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Hong Kong, you need Cantonese, the workers there although they can speak Chinese, prefer to talk in Cantonese, ditto for the Chinese towkays - they speak Cantonese because they are more comfortable. Chinese is the official language. Thats the problem with Singapore - we are too "official"- we are only comfortable with working officially, everything officially, law by law, black and white.

Whilst this earn us credits for being honest and efficient, sometimes we need flexibility and adaptability in dealing with locals - including knowing the local culture. Already we are fucked up in speaking Chinese, we will also be fucked up in speaking dialects - like forget about talking to Hong Kong and Chinese suppliers - if you go around speaking "officially" in Chinese, they also give you "official" prices - you miss out on better deals that may be offered after a few rounds of chit chat in Cantonese or Hokkiens .

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
ang moh speak english big fuck....go to china will also stand out like a sore prick. Open mouth people might say wow - you can speak chinese but thats it. they won't feel closer to you nor will they feel you are one of them. The Chinese can still katok you like no body's business.

Our ministers can speak chinese, still kenna katok of the Suzhou Industrial Park - what about ang mohs?

I disagree the putting down of dialects - in fact, i will teach my children cantonese - why? Bcos if you do business in Shenzhen, Guangzhou and Hong Kong, you need Cantonese, the workers there although they can speak Chinese, prefer to talk in Cantonese, ditto for the Chinese towkays - they speak Cantonese because they are more comfortable. Chinese is the official language. Thats the problem with Singapore - we are too "official"- we are only comfortable with working officially, everything officially, law by law, black and white.

Whilst this earn us credits for being honest and efficient, sometimes we need flexibility and adaptability in dealing with locals - including knowing the local culture. Already we are fucked up in speaking Chinese, we will also be fucked up in speaking dialects - like forget about talking to Hong Kong and Chinese suppliers - if you go around speaking "officially" in Chinese, they also give you "official" prices - you miss out on better deals that may be offered after a few rounds of chit chat in Cantonese or Hokkiens .

never once did i put down dialect.

there are people here in this forum who are protective of dialect, wanna uphold dialect usage in this country, and yet they wanna put down mandarin. which i find it baffling. mandarin and dialect is not zero sum game between them. if one know mandarin, one can easily pick up other dialect too. and vice versa, one know dialect, one could easily pick up mandarin. so why those who wanna uphold dialect, why do they try to put down mandarin here in this forum??

almost all chinese communities has got no issue with mandarin and dialect co-exist together. (maybe except some minority in south taiwan who hate mandarin to the core?) whats the problem here in our country with dialect? the problem is with PAP. PAP wanna eradicate dialect here. PAP wanna make it like the dialect and mandarin is mutually exclusive with one another.

so wanna bash, go bash PAP. for it is the PAP which cause the downfall of dialect in this country.

Last edited:

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal

you cannot even tell whether it rhymes in mandarin becasue you cannot read chinese ...i am waiting for somebody to point out your folly...LOL

ancient poems are meant to rhyme in old chinese but they do not rhyme in mandarin and reading in mandarin means the wit and the nuances are lost.

it is not for you to say old chinese in ancient tongue i.e. your ancestors' language is not as good as mandarin just like you do not chose your own father or mother or blame them for bringing you up in the manner which you turned out to be. these are your roots and mandarin is not the way to connect to this

choosing this as your response only shows that you are not only trying to promote a Mandarin only policy and sucking up to the partyline but you are also debasing chinese culture and advocating a total eradication of our roots and this is betrayed by how you insult li bai and confucius and their language were is not as good as mandarin .next, you will say they have slanty eyes too and probably did not have enuff hair.,...

the only response you have is to resort to INFRACTIONS to stop me...LOL

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
you cannot even tell whether it rhymes in mandarin becasue you cannot read chinese ...i am waiting for somebody to point out your folly...LOL

ancient poems are meant to rhyme in old chinese but they do not rhyme in mandarin and reading in mandarin means the wit and the nuances are lost.

it is not for you to say old chinese in ancient tongue i.e. your ancestors' language is not as good as mandarin just like you do not chose your own father or mother or blame them for bringing you up in the manner which you turned out to be. these are your roots and mandarin is not the way to connect to this

choosing this as your response only shows that you are not only trying to promote a Mandarin only policy and sucking up to the partyline but you are also debasing chinese culture and advocating a total eradication of our roots and this is betrayed by how you insult li bai and confucius and their language were is not as good as mandarin .next, you will say they have slanty eyes too and probably did not have enuff hair.,...

the only response you have is to resort to INFRACTIONS to stop me...LOL

i hope u would stop spamming me with your message. i had dealt with it in other thread already.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
i hope u would stop spamming me with your message. i had dealt with it in other thread already.

i m actually trying to show everyone your different responses in order to prove that scroobal and leetahbar were right abt you.... pls use infractions to stop me otherwise you will be embarrassed or bdgered into speechlessness

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
i m actually trying to show everyone your different responses in order to prove that scroobal and leetahbar were right abt you.... pls use infractions to stop me otherwise you will be embarrassed or bdgered into speechlessness

no. i gave u infraction, 'cause u are getting unreasonable. u spam me all over the place. its not that u had embarrassed me or badgered me into speechlessness. its u are spamming me. asking me same kind of questions all over the place. thats why i have to make a stand by giving u infraction.