• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

University engineering admissions deteriorate to BCC grade?

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BCC grade admitted to engineering?

Our “university insider” alerted us to the fact that according to a university’s Indicative Grade Profile (IGP) – the 10th percentile of students admitted in most of the engineering courses has deteriorated to grades of BCC or lower.

Competition from foreign engineers?

The primary reason for this may be due to the influx of foreign engineers who may be willing to work for lower pay.

Last year, an engineer from an ASEAN country said that after all the deductions – his monthly take home pay was only about $900.

In an ASEAN country – there have been advertisements recruiting engineers to work in Singapore at a salary of about $1,500.

From the grapevine – preference may be given to employ fresh engineering graduates, but mid-career engineers may be having a very hard time getting a reasonable paying job.

Engineers’ salaries historically?

For example, according to the Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) wages benchmarking tool – the median basic pay for mechanical engineer, assistant engineer (mechanical) and mechanical engineering technician – are $3,850, $2,500 and $2,250.

As the median is half of the workers in the occupation category – does it mean that that there may be quite a lot of engineers, who may be working for lower pay?

If anyone who reads this article is an engineer or knows about the employments issues that may be affecting the engineering profession – please help to share.

SY Lee and Leong Sze Hian
http://leongszehian.com/?p=8781

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do we still need so many engineers in Singapore?

Many of those who study engineering dont become engineers anyway.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The MOE/Govt has shown its inflexibility and inability to adapt to changing circumstances-or does the pappy has a hidden agenda.

Engineering used to rank on par with Accountancy/Law/Dentistry/Architecture and attract amongst the brightest-including many scholars.

However with its dip in the last 2 decades , they should maintain the quality of the intake but reduce the numbers to what the market
can adsorb. What's the point of producing too many mediocre engineers many of whom end up doing sales or in the financial sector?
An increasing numbers are foreigners wasting our valuable university places

The reduced places in engineering should be transferred to other faculties like Medicine and Law where many local parents spent a fortune to send their kids abroad-only for the govt to employ low quality doctors from Pinoyland and India.

This is an important political issue- locals are deprived of university education of their choice while public monies are spent educating foreigners to steal our jobs,
Again the WP seems to be silent on such issues and caught in the PAP town council trap.

Last edited:

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
many dun know tht sinkie engrs are heading to a deadend...with depressing wages and competition from FTs...future is bleak for engrs. i have a friend who studied chemical engineering, he is now a banker.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is true.

My friend son studied material engineering in Oz and unemployed for 1 year already. Not because he cannot find work but the pay is too little.

This is globalization gone wrong. Anything come from the West will kill you.

BCC grade admitted to engineering?

Our “university insider” alerted us to the fact that according to a university’s Indicative Grade Profile (IGP) – the 10th percentile of students admitted in most of the engineering courses has deteriorated to grades of BCC or lower.

Competition from foreign engineers?

The primary reason for this may be due to the influx of foreign engineers who may be willing to work for lower pay.

Last year, an engineer from an ASEAN country said that after all the deductions – his monthly take home pay was only about $900.

In an ASEAN country – there have been advertisements recruiting engineers to work in Singapore at a salary of about $1,500.

From the grapevine – preference may be given to employ fresh engineering graduates, but mid-career engineers may be having a very hard time getting a reasonable paying job.

Engineers’ salaries historically?

For example, according to the Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) wages benchmarking tool – the median basic pay for mechanical engineer, assistant engineer (mechanical) and mechanical engineering technician – are $3,850, $2,500 and $2,250.

As the median is half of the workers in the occupation category – does it mean that that there may be quite a lot of engineers, who may be working for lower pay?

If anyone who reads this article is an engineer or knows about the employments issues that may be affecting the engineering profession – please help to share.

SY Lee and Leong Sze Hian
http://leongszehian.com/?p=8781

1nottiboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
had the best times of my life in university. so many pussies. too bad not enough time to try them all. if only I had continued to do my masters......

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
i will be contented just to be a electrician calling $100 per hour...:biggrin:

This is true.

My friend son studied material engineering in Oz and unemployed for 1 year already. Not because he cannot find work but the pay is too little.

This is globalization gone wrong. Anything come from the West will kill you.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't agree with you more. Had a great time in University. The atmosphere of academia, learning and pursuit of knowledge is a great experience and feeling. The commercial world sucks big time.

Cheers!

had the best times of my life in university. so many pussies. too bad not enough time to try them all. if only I had continued to do my masters......

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
lots of engrs driving taxi to make ends meet
why jump into that profession?
better put in two more yrs and become doctor.... touch balls or dig cunts n get paid for the action

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Worthwhile to consider something outside S'pore?

thinking of going to US or Germany if i did well enough (my field needs strong publications then people bother to look at you), then look for faculty position somewhere in US or Europe. if my papers are not strong enough, then i will just resign to be a A star slave, and look out for opportunity to open my own ah beng fishshop (LOL).