• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UNCONFIRMED - SMRT had prior knowledge of what caused the breakdown

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
An UNCONFIRMED rumour has surfaced. Apparently CEO Saw was not as ignorant as to what caused the breakdown as she claimed. SMRT was aware of the problem and had in fact comissioned at least one external study. The consultants recommended a rather expensive solution which was rejected by SMRT in favour of a more cost effective internal solution. This was a classic case of penny wise pound foolish since the cheap fix did not work and there was massive damage to the system instead.

Empirical evidence to support this rumour surfaced today from Minister Lui's press conference. The damage appears extensive and occurred over an extended period of time. It is not possible that it could have been missed or that SMRT was completely unaware of the problem.

If SMRT was really completely unaware as CEO Saw is claiming, then the situation is potentially even more serious since thousands of Singaporeans are riding every day on a potential death trap.

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly as what I wrote in my earlier posts.And that they are treating the symptoms with panadol but the sickness will eventually flare.My other speculation is who should bear the hefty cost?LTA or SMRT?.......this question will eventually arise since all infrastructures still belong to LTA and SMRT only had leased them.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
An UNCONFIRMED rumour has surfaced. Apparently CEO Saw was not as ignorant as to what caused the breakdown as she claimed. SMRT was aware of the problem and had in fact comissioned at least one external study. The consultants recommended a rather expensive solution which was rejected by SMRT in favour of a more cost effective internal solution. This was a classic case of penny wise pound foolish since the cheap fix did not work and there was massive damage to the system instead.

Empirical evidence to support this rumour surfaced today from Minister Lui's press conference. The damage appears extensive and occurred over an extended period of time. It is not possible that it could have been missed or that SMRT was completely unaware of the problem.

If SMRT was really completely unaware as CEO Saw is claiming, then the situation is potentially even more serious since thousands of Singaporeans are riding every day on a potential death trap.

Hi Goh Meng Seng! Long time no see!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exactly as what I wrote in my earlier posts.And that they are treating the symptoms with panadol but the sickness will eventually flare.My other speculation is who should bear the hefty cost?LTA or SMRT?.......this question will eventually arise since all infrastructures still belong to LTA and SMRT only had leased them.

SMRT should bear the cost. Best is CEO and all board of director who close eye on the problem all kick out.
As I predict major problem.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.....she obviously took a gamble.....and lost

One is reminded of the gamble that Ho Ching took with taxpayers money.

Didn't she claim that she had no regrets:mad:
She's still in there gambling with our money:confused:

I doubt that the mistake will cost Saw her job. In Spore it's who you know & not how well you do your job:rolleyes:

palden

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkee mentality. Everything want cheap cheap. Open tender, lowest price get. Now see what happen?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maintenance cutting corners talk had been circulating ever since the breakdowns begun, you do not need to be a CEO or having an engineering (mechanical) to figure out, that two & two makes four, but their case it makes five.:biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The consultants recommended a rather expensive solution which was rejected by SMRT in favour of a more cost effective internal solution. This was a classic case of penny wise pound foolish since the cheap fix did not work and there was massive damage to the system instead..............................

These scums have been raking in millions of dollars in profit every year and yet they are still hesistant to call in the service of the experts due to high costs of these consultants... Well Done you 60% CB kias.. You voted for them last May and now you had been Punked big time by them.. Sporean's lives means nothing to these greedy Operators.. Its Your Money that they want.. If this allegations are indeed true, rest assured that there will the Mother Of All Cover Ups by Govt and SMRT..

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
SMRT should bear the cost. Best is CEO and all board of director who close eye on the problem all kick out.
As I predict major problem.

Not so easy.Remember how HDB pushed the blame on leassee(owners) when their windows started falling as killer litters?Which actually is HDB responsibility.In order to shift the blame to people PAP have to change the laws.......Hence whether it is SMRT or LTA's liability depends on the terms of their contractual lease.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I watched the 9.30 pm news just now and they are going to use rayon ties (!!!) to hold up steel claws!

Imagine - must be some rayon, with strength greater than steel's tensile strength!

think Saw could use some of these ties to secure her head on her shoulders?

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess people in the finance and management level will never learn. Preventive maintainance is like KAMA, ignor her and short change her long enough and she will come back and kick you in the balls. Paybacks a bitch :biggrin:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
This episode opens up another can of worms.Remember the Thai girl who lost both her legs?.....and many more who died in MRT stations.All these happened simply because no barrier doors between the trains and stations.....while the crowd kept increasing with millions more foreigners.And this Malaysian butch was simply arguing against spending a single cent more on safety for commuters.

I reckon her reasoning was since the infrastructures belong to LTA why spend a single cent more on anything that does not belong to MRT......as a result a few paid with their lives.

That is why having a local as the chief matters.Because since they grew up in this land their empathy and sympathy would still be with the people despite having to show profits to their shareholders.Whereas foreigners treats us like chattels or dispensable as you may.That is the critical difference between a foreigner and a local as the CEO.

The solution is to do away with SMRT as a private enterprise running public transport.Not pushing the blame here and there.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, this is what I gathered so far.There has been a series of maintenance failures mainly minor and medium that has been occurring for sometime. There has also been a rounds of tai chi to push some to LTA as structural. The people who sit on SMRT board are more powerful than anyone in LTA. Apparently the 3rd rail or power rail (I have no idea what it means and this is the first I heard of a third rail) was not attached properly after maintenance on only one part of the sector and took out connectors that power the trains and 4 trains have been affected.The incident management is what led the cat out of the bag about poor management.

I heard that the inquiry is gong thru the entire maintenance logs to see how they have been done.I also heard that no matter what comes out, this lady is history. She is no longer in charge of the inquiry and will be treated as a respondent.

The powers have realised that her poor PR management is an issue. They took great exception for stating that she is providing "free" bus replacement service. Something that Kingrant noted as a boo boo which others have missed.

I am sure they are all sitting around a table figuring how to handle this politically. Some have bet on the SAF scholar to take the fall.

An UNCONFIRMED rumour has surfaced. Apparently CEO Saw was not as ignorant as to what caused the breakdown as she claimed. SMRT was aware of the problem and had in fact comissioned at least one external study. The consultants recommended a rather expensive solution which was rejected by SMRT in favour of a more cost effective internal solution. .

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The third rail is the one conveying electricity for the locomotion, and can kill you by electrocution even when you're not crushed by an oncoming train.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apparently the 3rd rail or power rail (I have no idea what it means and this is the first I heard of a third rail) was not attached properly after maintenance on only one part of the sector and took out connectors that power the trains and 4 trains have been affected.The incident management is what led the cat out of the bag about poor management.

The frogs, I mean French, will be laughing their heads off at the British invention called the Third Rail. First used in the 1890 London Tube's Northern line.

They prefer the overhead catenary power contact because of known problems with the less efficient ground level "Third Rail"

The French TGV will not run on Third Rail because it will slow the trains down.

Anyone taking London Tube (esp before they replaced the 1973 rolling stocks) would have experienced periods during the rides when the train cabin lights go off and on - that is one of Third Rail known problems.

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
When MRT was first built in Singapore no local had any know how....so the choice of third rail or overhead catenary power was beyond our knowledge.Besides overhead catenary power is not exactly frenchy since all trams ran on this basis.

But the question is; today it is a third rail thingy; does it means all the MRT problems are thus solved once fixed ?....Nah,I speculate both SMRT and LTA are diverting our attention by getting technical.....Just like our flooding problem.These problems are holistic.Much more than just the third rail thingy.It needs a through check up and a major surgery if needed.It gonna cost billions.Symptoms can be fixed but the sickness is not cured.

What I am saying is ultimately LTA must come into the picture.

Last edited: