• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UNCONFIRMED - SMRT had prior knowledge of what caused the breakdown

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not sure what decisions were made then.

Rolling stocks running on 3rd rails are cheaper. Notice also how the 3rd rails are always located away from the station platform.

Street trams MUST use overheads. That egyptian tut 3 posts up, has stated the reason.

Last edited:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard that the inquiry is gong thru the entire maintenance logs to see how they have been done.I also heard that no matter what comes out, this lady is history. She is no longer in charge of the inquiry and will be treated as a respondent.

The powers have realised that her poor PR management is an issue. They took great exception for stating that she is providing "free" bus replacement service. Something that Kingrant noted as a boo boo which others have missed.

I am sure they are all sitting around a table figuring how to handle this politically. Some have bet on the SAF scholar to take the fall.

Someone needs to sit her down and tell it to her point blank. She is ignoring the writing on the wall and just gave a defiant press con to tell the world she is not resigning. This will only serve to enrage Singaporeans and increase the political damage.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, thought the 3rd rail supplied water to the toilets and power meant water pressure.

The third rail is the one conveying electricity for the locomotion, and can kill you by electrocution even when you're not crushed by an oncoming train.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks, thought the 3rd rail supplied water to the toilets and power meant water pressure.

That word you are referring to has 3 letters only, RAIL has 4 letters.
I may be thinking too much into what you wrote.

Toilet time!

Someone needs to sit her down and tell it to her point blank. She is ignoring the writing on the wall and just gave a defiant press con to tell the world she is not resigning. This will only serve to enrage Singaporeans and increase the political damage.

In denial is very common with people in top position. Esp when things go wrong suddenly.
That is why it is important to have good PR manager ad good working relationship with that manager.

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

She can always be sacked,right?...Since resigning is for honorable people.

Obviously she must have consulted her mountain.And Ho Ching says you stay.So Liu is in a real fix now.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Penny wise, pound foolish. The same can be said of almost all govt/GLC contract jobs.

For example, if the govt asks three companies for the quotations of a project,

Company A charges $20K
Company B charges $30K
Company C charges $18K

Company C will always get the job. The lowest bidder always gets the job. Efficiency, reputation, speed, quality etc are largely ignored.

Also, you have to wonder why SMRT has to stubbornly seek cost-effective (read: cheap) solutions? Is SMRT facing severe financial difficulties, so much so that belt-tightening measures have to be implemented? Will the cost savings trickle down and translate into lower fares for commuters?

Or are they seeking their own selfish cost-cutting KPIs and thus obtain fatter salaries and bonuses?

Singaporeans, you are witnessing first-hand the perils of crony capitalism, which you had always closed one eye to. If you're not angry yet, you should be. Because the next cock-up under these self-serving nincompoops may result in deaths, perhaps even the deaths of your loved ones.

Saw Phaik Hwa is just the tip of the iceberg. The rot extends far down to her lieutenants and underlings, and stretches into the realm of abject political leadership. It seems that the mainstream media is portraying Saw Phaik Hwa as the bogeywoman to absorb all blames, but do not be distracted from the fact that this has been a systemic failure.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I heard that the inquiry is gong thru the entire maintenance logs to see how they have been done.I also heard that no matter what comes out, this lady is history. She is no longer in charge of the inquiry and will be treated as a respondent.

I am sure they are all sitting around a table figuring how to handle this politically. Some have bet on the SAF scholar to take the fall.

I sincerely hope you're correct about SPH (the woman, not the brothel). Removing her will ameliorate the anger, but still does not address the real culpable ones which IMO are LTA and the ministry which allowed all this to happen.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw Phaik Hwa is just the tip of the iceberg. The rot extends far down to her lieutenants and underlings, and stretches into the realm of abject political leadership. It seems that the mainstream media is portraying Saw Phaik Hwa as the bogeywoman to absorb all blames, but do not be distracted from the fact that this has been a systemic failure.

Yup,Saw is just the tip of the iceberg.But the rot really goes upstairs.To Temasek Holdings and to those who holds the reign....Why?Because if we examine the reason for the existence of Temasek holdings things does not adds up.Why does Temasek Holding exists and why are so much monopolies are heaped on it?

In short,has Temasek Holding benefited Singaporeans as a mass?Nope.Than why does it exist where the government run by PAP heaps monopoly upon monopoly on it?And why must none other than the PM's wife must be it's custodian?I do have a pet theory on this but it stinks up the hell.

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice-Gook said:
When MRT was first built in Singapore no local had any know how....so the choice of third rail or overhead catenary power was beyond our knowledge.Besides overhead catenary power is not exactly frenchy since all trams ran on this basis.

In the early days, without any experience in running an MRT, LTA engaged the services of consultants and many of these consultants are British consultants. This is why many British concepts, such as third rail, are incorporated into our system. One feature adopted in Singapore which most other countries do not adopt is the fine for underpaid ticket. In other countries, you simply have to add fare and no fine.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is temask holdings privatised :confused:

Yup,Saw is just the tip of the iceberg.But the rot really goes upstairs.To Temasek Holdings and to those who holds the reign....Why?Because if we examine the reason for the existence of Temasek holdings things does not adds up.Why does Temasek Holding exists and why are so much monopolies are heaped on it?

In short,has Temasek Holding benefited Singaporeans as a mass?Nope.Than why does it exist where the government run by PAP heaps monopoly upon monopoly on it?And why must none other than the PM's wife must be it's custodian?I do have a pet theory on this but it stinks up the hell.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, this is what I gathered so far.There has been a series of maintenance failures mainly minor and medium that has been occurring for sometime. There has also been a rounds of tai chi to push some to LTA as structural. The people who sit on SMRT board are more powerful than anyone in LTA. Apparently the 3rd rail or power rail (I have no idea what it means and this is the first I heard of a third rail) was not attached properly after maintenance on only one part of the sector and took out connectors that power the trains and 4 trains have been affected.The incident management is what led the cat out of the bag about poor management.

From the looks of it, it is a serious lapse and could have been prevented if not for the delay from playing 'tai-chi' with LTA. This is atrocious. They are taking the lives of the passengers too lightly. The whole management team has to be replaced.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From the looks of it, it is a serious lapse and could have been prevented if not for the delay from playing 'tai-chi' with LTA. This is atrocious. They are taking the lives of the passengers too lightly. The whole management team has to be replaced.
There are other issues, and if the lifespan and amortization of the rail was considered together with economic loss to the country and businesses you know the answer. There is an inherent design problem from the beginning due to poor understanding of cheap. Stupid people have zero understanding of the value of money and thus history repeats itself. I told you Singapore would collapse systemwise by yearend. There will be a few more serious systemic failures of 2-3 other major infrastructures. ISD and PMO reading this should seriously solve those time bombs soon. Allthe accolades are scheduled for one tombstone fall at a match near you on pay-per-view. My intuitive sense of technical systems is quite accurate. hehehehehe. I have always said that terrorism in Singapore will not be from without but from within and from the most unlikely of sources to most. You are seeing them and these individuals are far more destructive than any Osama bin Laden. Rather than employ the best in understanding and solving problems, they hired mercenary cocksuckers. We are now seeing the classic case of " I did not have sex with that woman"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Trains like Airplanes can be vehicles of mass destruction. I am sure WIndsor will tell you how careful Aviation engineering requires specs to met. Unlike Aviation, there is no international oversight. Typical Singapore where workers are transported by lorry in a haphazard manner on major roads but minor traffic offences can lead to jail sentences.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on. All taken care of by experts. Even today, its the expats that are building the new phases. SMRT on the hand has only on HK chap.

In the early days, without any experience in running an MRT, LTA engaged the services of consultants and many of these consultants are British consultants. This is why many British concepts, such as third rail, are incorporated into our system. One feature adopted in Singapore which most other countries do not adopt is the fine for underpaid ticket. In other countries, you simply have to add fare and no fine.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please wake up guys.

Saw will not be asked to resign, same way Wong Kan seng was not over MSK escape.

It sets a precedence of Accountability. Would the Pap want of that?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please wake up guys.

Saw will not be asked to resign, same way Wong Kan seng was not over MSK escape.

This will lead to one thing only, I won't want to be a habringer of bad tidings, I shiver, when I think of it. If this is not address today, some disaster involving lives will happen. We have to take this very seriously.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please wake up guys.

If she tenders her resignation letter, no one would say she was asked to. Surely, they need to save face. Resignation would be reported to be voluntary.

Best of all, SPH will be ushered by HC to yet another lucrative appointment. Won't be a time bomb appointment though. Away from any accountability. Protected species will always remain protected, just like wearing a condom.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This will lead to one thing only, I won't want to be a habringer of bad tidings, I shiver, when I think of it. If this is not address today, some disaster involving lives will happen. We have to take this very seriously.

The elites and their folks don't take public transport regularly. If LKY takes the MRT daily, there won't be a second screw up.