• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TKL: "Many supporters abandoned me"

Spiky

Alfrescian
Loyal
a newspaper report tht his stint in NTUC is now under scrutiny. would NTUC now feel safer to reveal the actual happening and disagreement when tkl was their troublemaking ceo? how did he reach that post by way? by merit or by leeching to some powerful somebody who gave him a push?[/QUOTE]
====================================================================================================================

Tan Kin Lian is a qualified actuary. During his time, there were less than 5 actuaries in Singapore.

It is extremely impressive how he passed his actuarial exams (given that he didn't go to university). I heard that there were PhD holders who cannot even complete the exams.
It is that difficult. Extremely mathematical but extremely boring too (mostly about compound interest) :biggrin:

On the average, it takes about 7 years to complete the exams from either - (1) Institute of Actuaries (UK), (2) Faculty of Actuaries (Scotland) and (3) Society of Actuaries (U.S.) -
to be qualified as an actuary. Actuaries have no problem finding jobs all over the world.

Monetary Authority of Singapore requires all full insurance companies (life insurance) to have at least one actuary because they need to make sure that insurance companies are
properly run (i.e. liquid).

Actuaries design insurance products and invest the premiums collected (mostly in govt bonds, investment-grade fixed income, investment-grade stocks), making sure that the insurance company is liquid and profitable.

As such, it is only natural that Tan Kin Lian ended up as the CEO of NTUC insurance. I definitely don't think that he got the post through influence.

By the way, I voted for Mr Tan Jee Say. I think he is an extremely credible candidate. I hope he joins Worker's Party in the next GE.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a newspaper report tht his stint in NTUC is now under scrutiny. would NTUC now feel safer to reveal the actual happening and disagreement when tkl was their troublemaking ceo? how did he reach that post by way? by merit or by leeching to some powerful somebody who gave him a push?[/QUOTE]
====================================================================================================================

Tan Kin Lian is a qualified actuary. During his time, there were less than 5 actuaries in Singapore.

It is extremely impressive how he passed his actuarial exams (given that he didn't go to university). I heard that there were PhD holders who cannot even complete the exams.
It is that difficult. Extremely mathematical but extremely boring too (mostly about compound interest) :biggrin:

On the average, it takes about 7 years to complete the exams from either - (1) Institute of Actuaries (UK), (2) Faculty of Actuaries (Scotland) and (3) Society of Actuaries (U.S.) -
to be qualified as an actuary. Actuaries have no problem finding jobs all over the world.

Monetary Authority of Singapore requires all full insurance companies (life insurance) to have at least one actuary because they need to make sure that insurance companies are
properly run (i.e. liquid).

Actuaries design insurance products and invest the premiums collected (mostly in govt bonds, investment-grade fixed income, investment-grade stocks), making sure that the insurance company is liquid and profitable.

As such, it is only natural that Tan Kin Lian ended up as the CEO of NTUC insurance. I definitely don't think that he got the post through influence.

By the way, I voted for Mr Tan Jee Say. I think he is an extremely credible candidate. I hope he joins Worker's Party in the next GE.

In his time, people cannot afford insurance. Many are uninsurable. So there is no need for so many Actuary.

Who sponsor him?

NTUC had to use MS-DOS to design actuary products because Windows cannot do them. And this guy used to be a computer programmer.

As for investment, NTUC has its own investment dept run by a half bald Malaysian. You do not need actuarial mathematics to do investment, just an investment manager who know risk profiles, asset classes and who to invest with - work out the formula for the weekly investment-grade insurance ask/bid prices.

Spiky sound like TKL nick!

Last edited:

Spiky

Alfrescian
Loyal
In his time, people cannot afford insurance. Many are uninsurable. So there is no need for so many Actuary.

Who sponsor him?

NTUC had to use MS-DOS to design actuary products because Windows cannot do them. And this guy used to be a computer programmer.

As for investment, NTUC has its own investment dept run by a half bald Malaysian. You do not need actuarial mathematics to do investment, just an investment manager who know risk profiles, asset classes and who to invest with - work out the formula for the weekly investment-grade insurance ask/bid prices.

Spiky sound like TKL nick!

Mr pseudo-Australian know-all.

So the investment part is all you know about regarding the insurance business ? Is that all ?

Using MS-DOS to design insurance products ? Any more ?

And TKL used to be a programmer ? C'mon, you can do better than that !

I am extremely impressed !

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He had given the impression that he had been eyeing the Presidential seat for a long time. It was rumoured since the day he was at Speaker's corner helping those people to get back their money.

This only leave a bad after taste as his help was not sincerely and there was a selfish motive behind it.

I always think that speaking at the Speaker's corner was his biggest mistake.

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
this man obviously wasn't in touch with the ground. or he was just dreaming big.

we have seen president go around shaking hands... but high 5s?! :confused:

I do not know whether this is true. I was told that he went to a wake (not Tan Jing Quee's memorial") and did a high 5 there.

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha... read in today TNP pp 6....

He said his "technical expert" (not difficult to guess dat it must tbe GMS lah) told him the yahoo poll was manipulated, so he wrote to yahoo to complain....yahoo told him to go fuck dog...LOL

He also said a survey done by his "friend" (not difficult to guess dat dis friend is Vincent Sear aka Ramseth aka Forvendent) show all candidates are quite close to each other in the poll...LOL ....dat why he beleive that yahoo poll was manipulated...LOL

Bloody sore loser still cannot acccept the fact dat he is a NOBODAY to singaporeans....first he blamed TCB supporters for smearing him...then he blame TSJ for stealing his voters...now he blame yahoo for swaying voters to abandon him....LOL...

I see him like GMS...blame everybody except himself for failure....after fail liao still wanto save his thick-skinned face....only get 5% of the vote still dare to say he wants to be the voice of the ppl....LOL....just like GMS who after losing in 2006 GE say he wants to set up a training course to train MP...LOL.....who wants a loser to train MPs...who want a loser with only 5% vote to be voice of the ppl? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHHHAH

BusNo64

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not know whether this is true. I was told that he went to a wake (not Tan Jing Quee's memorial") and did a high 5 there.

no lah, he neber did his stupid hi5 at Tan Jing Quee memorial...wat he did was to get a group of his team to wear the stupid high 5 T-shirt...grandly walk into Tan Jing Quee memorial and walk all the way to the front sat the front row pretendking like VIP in order to grab attention and gain publicity.., but then towards the end of the memorial tried to sneakily leave after someone at the memorial ask him to give speech. He cowardly decline and tried to leave, then was kena fucked by some of the guests there....LAN LAN trying to grab publicity at Tan Jing Quee memorial....this was reported in TOC...but GMS and Ramseth dare not open their big mouth to tell us here...LOL

tkl-glum-1024x682.jpg

See how disrepectful he is wearing dat stupid hi5 T-shirt to someone's memorial...it is like wearing bright red colour to someone's funeral...BLOODY IDIOT!!!

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/tan-kin-lian-explains-tan-jing-quee-memorial-commotion/
Tan Kin Lian explains Tan Jing Quee memorial commotion

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
During his time at NTUC Income I actually respected the way he operate the company. His insurance policies were were good.

jw5

Loyal
He thought "many people" supported him, but in the end, only "some people" did. :o

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to disagree. Low premiums yes. But also low insurance cover. During his tenure he was trying to push high risk investment products to please his political masters. His Takaful fund was a disaster. Many NTUC agents took advantage of scoring points by trading on their clients accounts by getting pre-signed blank forms, brokers do that but then typical sinkee heartlander did not know the risks involved and that penalty is incurred everytime it was bought and sold.

The investment link insurance is the biggest con job the clown prince did when he tried to deregulate the insurance industry. MAS is supposed to be the insurance watchdog, which means our Govt will be held accountable should the insurance companies collapse. What better to pass the risks back to homeowners and breadwinners by converting to investment products. In a crash, their savings goes down with it and Govt is not held responsible.

NTUC is no longer a insurance co-op but more like an investment banker earning fat fees. Despite that TKL keep pushing, showing agents how they can earn a living conning their policy holders. (Many agents however listened to their conscience and refused to sell any investment products). The tricks are varied and fully sanctioned by MAS. Get customers to buy into annual premiums investment plans for more commissions instead of selling single premiums products. (Tip for policy holders. Your returns is better is you buy a single premium plan and top it up every year as commission is only 5% ). Premiums are structured in such a way that they are first converted to investment units after deducting for commissions. Partial units are then immediately surrendered incurring exit charges to repurchase term riders. Agents also earn money selling insurance riders which are then sold at a higher price and then resold to re-insurers. Next NTUC slipped in a poison by inserting in their policy clause that all bonus already declared are non guaranteed when they were guaranteed in the past.

TKL should have shaved his head and be a monk to atone for his sins instead of trying to speak at Hong Lim park and hoping to get a shot as the best paid cho-boh-lan in Singapore.

Despite this, anyone is better than indespicable Phoney Tan who should do the right thing by disqualifying himself as he was a Braddell brothel operator and direct GIC links. His son's NS disruption is never explained. Lizard Kwa did the right thing by sending her pondan son straight into NS. Cheng Bok has his nose too far in PAPs pig's trough to be trusted. Very easy in the recount, to close one eye and let the 'spoilt votes' recounted in Phony favor.

But TKL has to open his cb mouth so its Tan Jee Say who has my final vote.

During his time at NTUC Income I actually respected the way he operate the company. His insurance policies were were good.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I beg to disagree. Low premiums yes. But also low insurance cover. During his tenure he was trying to push high risk investment products to please his political masters. His Takaful fund was a disaster. Many NTUC agents took advantage of scoring points by trading on their clients accounts by getting pre-signed blank forms, brokers do that but then typical sinkee heartlander did not know the risks involved and that penalty is incurred everytime it was bought and sold.

The investment link insurance is the biggest con job the clown prince did when he tried to deregulate the insurance industry. MAS is supposed to be the insurance watchdog, which means our Govt will be held accountable should the insurance companies collapse. What better to pass the risks back to homeowners and breadwinners by converting to investment products. In a crash, their savings goes down with it and Govt is not held responsible.

NTUC is no longer a insurance co-op but more like an investment banker earning fat fees. Despite that TKL keep pushing, showing agents how they can earn a living conning their policy holders. (Many agents however listened to their conscience and refused to sell any investment products). The tricks are varied and fully sanctioned by MAS. Get customers to buy into annual premiums investment plans for more commissions instead of selling single premiums products. (Tip for policy holders. Your returns is better is you buy a single premium plan and top it up every year as commission is only 5% ). Premiums are structured in such a way that they are first converted to investment units after deducting for commissions. Partial units are then immediately surrendered incurring exit charges to repurchase term riders. Agents also earn money selling insurance riders which are then sold at a higher price and then resold to re-insurers. Next NTUC slipped in a poison by inserting in their policy clause that all bonus already declared are non guaranteed when they were guaranteed in the past.

TKL should have shaved his head and be a monk to atone for his sins instead of trying to speak at Hong Lim park and hoping to get a shot as the best paid cho-boh-lan in Singapore.

Despite this, anyone is better than indespicable Phoney Tan who should do the right thing by disqualifying himself as he was a Braddell brothel operator and direct GIC links. His son's NS disruption is never explained. Lizard Kwa did the right thing by sending her pondan son straight into NS. Cheng Bok has his nose too far in PAPs pig's trough to be trusted. Very easy in the recount, to close one eye and let the 'spoilt votes' recounted in Phony favor.

But TKL has to open his cb mouth so its Tan Jee Say who has my final vote.

In the early stages it was TKL for me but then he talked himself out of contention and then came TCB, whom I have first hand knowledge, but he could not distinguish himself clearly as independent of PAP in the closing days and thus, it was Tan Jee Say for me as well even though his outburst did not sit quite well with me.
Sorry CB. You lost voters like us because you fail to convince us you have cleansed yourself of the stench.

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
no lah, he neber did his stupid hi5 at Tan Jing Quee memorial...wat he did was to get a group of his team to wear the stupid high 5 T-shirt...grandly walk into Tan Jing Quee memorial and walk all the way to the front sat the front row pretendking like VIP in order to grab attention and gain publicity.., but then towards the end of the memorial tried to sneakily leave after someone at the memorial ask him to give speech. He cowardly decline and tried to leave, then was kena fucked by some of the guests there....LAN LAN trying to grab publicity at Tan Jing Quee memorial....this was reported in TOC...but GMS and Ramseth dare not open their big mouth to tell us here...LOL

tkl-glum-1024x682.jpg

See how disrepectful he is wearing dat stupid hi5 T-shirt to someone's memorial...it is like wearing bright red colour to someone's funeral...BLOODY IDIOT!!!

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/tan-kin-lian-explains-tan-jing-quee-memorial-commotion/
Tan Kin Lian explains Tan Jing Quee memorial commotion

Lack of EQ and awareness.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
but his torchlight and puzzle cannot make it leh...LOL

These are not insurance products so cannot blame him.
Just like his many people and some people which I think will be the mother of all quote for this Presidential election.
lol lol lol

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mr pseudo-Australian know-all.

So the investment part is all you know about regarding the insurance business ? Is that all ?

Using MS-DOS to design insurance products ? Any more ?

And TKL used to be a programmer ? C'mon, you can do better than that !

I am extremely impressed !

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I can tell you a lot more if you continue writing rubbish about investment-linked insurance. But I protect my source, not like TR.

My source used to lunch with Liong TK's 4 investment "kings" in that co-op.
But the most juicy truths came from a Brit who had a fall out with TKL.

I am an Aussie know-nothing. :*: Still, don't mess around with me, your actuary story does not pass
, otherwise I complain to :rolleyes: NTUC :eek:

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I beg to differ. The single premium bond was introduced by NTUC Income in 1975 thereabouts, before Tan Kin Lian took the helm in 1977. However, it was linked to a conservative bond fund, safe and low cost but not very popular since life funds and stock markets were doing very well with better returns. The investment-linked regular premium plan was introduced to Singapore by Tan Suee Chieh at Prudential in 1993 thereabouts. (Now he's CEO at NTUC Income.)

All other insurance companies followed suit with varying versions. This has nothing to do with pleasing any bosses or political masters. It was because of business environments and especially after AFC in 1997, the falling interest rates and stock markets meant the traditional life funds couldn't possibly sustain returns in the range that policyholders were used to. This happened in all life insurance companies, not only NTUC Income, whoever being CEO.

The ILP versions introduced by TKL before he left NTUC Income was the lowest cost and safest (but not absolutely risk free of course) in the Combined Funds. Low cost means low commission of course, and many agents being unhappy of course. The part about Takaful Fund is also an industry-wide problem, not just NTUC Income, whether or not under TKL. Takaful had to invest in Islamic-restricted investments in an already difficult market.

The worst performing individual ILP fund of NTUC Income at that time was the Technology Fund, at one point losing 80% after the dot.com crash. Also an industry-wide, indeed worldwide problem, not limited to NTUC Income. However, it was also the most popular as many policyholders were interested in punting on it since it has the volatility to punt on, and the sales charge was 3.5% versus 5% at other insurance companies or unit trusts.

The punting factor caused many policyholders to knowingly and willingly let their agents keep a stock of presigned forms as they wanted to buy or sell as quickly as possible at a price they want. The agents obviously were glad to accept that as long as they weren't caught, and it was quite impossible for the managers to catch them.

The Tech Fund had caused the biggest losses to investors on the whole, but it was most popular and received least complaints as these were policyholders understanding the risk and speculating on the price. The most complaints ironically came from traditional Living Policy and Endowment Policy when the Life Fund returns kept dipping as these were policyholders expecting stable returns all the way to retirement.

How do I know that? I supervised agency and compiled Annual Report and Account for the funds. Not all clients are ignorant angels and not all agents are greedy devils.

Last edited: