• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

New Twist: Tan Kin Lian submits Certificate of Eligibility, intensifying race for Singapore presidency

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
popcorn-eating-popcorn.gif

https://mothership.sg/2023/07/tan-kin-lian-intention-run-2023-presidential-elections/
Could Tan Kin Lian participate in the upcoming presidential elections?

Tan, the ex-Chief Executive Officer of NTUC Income, ran during the 2011 Presidential Election.

He battled three other candidates, Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Jee Say and Tony Tan.

Tan came in last of all the Tans and was the only one who lost his S$48,000 deposit as he could not get enough votes. Tony Tan won and became President.

Tan said he submitted application​

In a Facebook post on Jul. 30, Tan claimed he submitted his application for the "Certificate of Eligibility" three weeks ago.

"The other candidates probably have not submitted yet," Tan wrote.

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.20.29-PM.png
Screenshot via Tan Kin Lian/Facebook

In a comment on the Facebook post, he wrote: "I applied for the application form online and my principal election agent submitted the completed form as my proxy."

Candidates who intend to stand in the elections must apply for a Certificate of Eligibility to the Presidential Elections Committee.

The Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to the applicant if the PEC is satisfied that:
  • The applicant is a person of integrity, good character, and reputation;
  • And the applicant meets the relevant public sector or private sector service requirements.
The PEC is chaired by Lee Tzu Yang, chairman of the Public Service Commission.
Those who wish to apply for the certificate of eligibility can use the digital services for candidates on ELD's website to prepare the application form.
The application form must then be printed out and submitted to ELD together with all the supporting documents within the stipulated deadline.

Dropping hints​

Tan did not specifically state that this certificate was for the presidential election. He did not use the word 'president' or 'presidential' in that Facebook post or comment.

However, at around the same time, Tan made another Facebook post, estimating that his chances of winning the presidential election against former Senior Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam is "probably 10 per cent".

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.21.16-PM.png
Screenshot via Tan Kin Lian/Mothership

Then an hour before that, Tan made another post saying that if "Singaporeans vote for me as president, I will work with the government to bring down the cost of living. I am loyal to people who support me".

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.16.54-PM.png

On Jul. 21, Tan created his own poll on Facebook, asking his followers who stood a better chance of contesting against Tharman for the presidency.

The other options included businessman George Goh and former GIC head Ng Kok Song.

An overwhelming 71 per cent voted that Tan Kin Lian would stand a better chance at competing against Tharman.

"None" received 12 per cent.

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.36.24-PM.png

Both presidential hopefuls Ng Kok Song and Geroge Goh have collected their forms, but former Senior Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam has not yet collected his forms.

All three who have expressed their intention to run for the presidency have not submitted their forms yet.
--------------

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
popcorn-eating-popcorn.gif

https://mothership.sg/2023/07/tan-kin-lian-intention-run-2023-presidential-elections/
Could Tan Kin Lian participate in the upcoming presidential elections?

Tan, the ex-Chief Executive Officer of NTUC Income, ran during the 2011 Presidential Election.

He battled three other candidates, Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Jee Say and Tony Tan.

Tan came in last of all the Tans and was the only one who lost his S$48,000 deposit as he could not get enough votes. Tony Tan won and became President.

Tan said he submitted application​

In a Facebook post on Jul. 30, Tan claimed he submitted his application for the "Certificate of Eligibility" three weeks ago.

"The other candidates probably have not submitted yet," Tan wrote.

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.20.29-PM.png

In a comment on the Facebook post, he wrote: "I applied for the application form online and my principal election agent submitted the completed form as my proxy."

Candidates who intend to stand in the elections must apply for a Certificate of Eligibility to the Presidential Elections Committee.

The Certificate of Eligibility will be issued to the applicant if the PEC is satisfied that:
  • The applicant is a person of integrity, good character, and reputation;
  • And the applicant meets the relevant public sector or private sector service requirements.
The PEC is chaired by Lee Tzu Yang, chairman of the Public Service Commission.
Those who wish to apply for the certificate of eligibility can use the digital services for candidates on ELD's website to prepare the application form.
The application form must then be printed out and submitted to ELD together with all the supporting documents within the stipulated deadline.

Dropping hints​

Tan did not specifically state that this certificate was for the presidential election. He did not use the word 'president' or 'presidential' in that Facebook post or comment.

However, at around the same time, Tan made another Facebook post, estimating that his chances of winning the presidential election against former Senior Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam is "probably 10 per cent".

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.21.16-PM.png
Screenshot via Tan Kin Lian/Mothership

Then an hour before that, Tan made another post saying that if "Singaporeans vote for me as president, I will work with the government to bring down the cost of living. I am loyal to people who support me".

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.16.54-PM.png

On Jul. 21, Tan created his own poll on Facebook, asking his followers who stood a better chance of contesting against Tharman for the presidency.

The other options included businessman George Goh and former GIC head Ng Kok Song.

An overwhelming 71 per cent voted that Tan Kin Lian would stand a better chance at competing against Tharman.

"None" received 12 per cent.

Screenshot-2023-07-30-at-8.36.24-PM.png

Both presidential hopefuls Ng Kok Song and Geroge Goh have collected their forms, but former Senior Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam has not yet collected his forms.

All three who have expressed their intention to run for the presidency have not submitted their forms yet.
--------------
Poker game

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time he helped Tony by splitting votes
This time he is trying to help Taman by splitting votes.
>
This loser.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last time he helped Tony by splitting votes
This time he is trying to help Taman by splitting votes.
>
This loser.

He is the only candidate, besides Tharman who will auto-qualify. This ensures there will be a contest, PH and chance for Sinkies to vote, in case George Goh is not eligible.

So all votes must go to either him or George Goh to prevent anyone from the establishment from becoming president again.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The last time Ah Tan contested he cannot speak properly to save his life. Has he taken some public speaking courses since then ?

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
The last time Ah Tan contested he cannot speak properly to save his life. Has he taken some public speaking courses since then ?
Hopefully. Among all, he is the only candidate with an axe to grind against PAP, as can be seen by openly supporting the opposition and making speeches in Speaker's corner and in his FB posts.

Sinkies have learned the lessons from the past. Without TCB, he is the sole real opposition candidate to take on the establishment.

Best twist is this time round, he might even beat Tharman, LOL.
But PM Lee and PAP as usual will prevent that from happening, else tanks might roll on the streets, LOL.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is the only candidate, besides Tharman who will auto-qualify. This ensures there will be a contest, PH and chance for Sinkies to vote, in case George Goh is not eligible.

So all votes must go to either him or George Goh to prevent anyone from the establishment from becoming president again.
Outcome will be the same...
Now who play Ah Bok role this time?

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
simi logic is that, ball-less logic? u think the younger generation is as flaccid ball-less as the older ones?

He might has been vaccinated and regret it so now it is payback time.
Old ones are just sotong group.... Most dun know how a modern society is functioning, they only want to enjoy their last few remaining years...

Seldom u find Glockman calibre who can still share his insightful thoughts

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will vote for him if the oposition parties esp WP. PSP endorse him as a neutral candidate who will not endorse PAP POLICIES BLINDLY.
We have seen x PAP's like Devan, OTC, TCB and maybe now this Tan KL who perhaps has woken up and found their soul and the truth.
Some may have an axe to grind but is still better than a PAP puppet

Last edited: