• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of course I remember KICKAPOO Joy Juice by National Aerated Water Co synonymous with SINALCO

Created as a character from the comic strip, Lil Abner.

Any other "Kickapoo" you have in mind, Sir.

thank you sir for sharing our "shared" memories of the past. :biggrin:

really take me down the memories lane.

A

AKQJ10

Train Ride To Woodlands Train Checkpoint

<IFRAME height=500 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s2LmpRfdiTk" frameBorder=0 width=900 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Oh, that was my favourite stuff then but had no money to buy even the small pack at 25 cents.

Used to wait for special occassion like New Years, etc... so as to be able to get some.

Besides, Cadbury and Van Houten, there was WINDMOELLEN chocolate.

Don't seems to have it anymore.

Anyway, docs have advised me not to partake chocolate but sometimes I curi curi makan oso.

That is life yaah. A little of anything is OK.

Hello uncle,

A piece of dark chocolate (say 85% cocoa) is food for the heart.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am not any geologist or climatologist.
I am just an ordinary person like you good people.
Like you, I too have experienced those days and remember the bearable temperatures even during mid-day.
The mornings that broke cool and crispy.
When water in the brooks were cold to the touch.
When poor mum had to wake us up and we would beg for another minute and then another until we hear her scream.
Having had breakfast we walked to school with only 5 cents each for recess. Still shivering.
Air-cons were unheard of during those comfy days when Nature was by our side.
Why the weather is so different today?
Originality is slowly dying and in its place is coming everything Unnatural.
Our Garden city is not meant for 6 million population which is still increasing.
So many flats and so many people still coming to our shores where they are given PRs instead of disembarkation cards.
In such a crowded environment we are staying
Concrete jungle and what not.
Forget about those good old days when the temperature was right and we could even see mist in kampongs.
Be happy by just recalling the misty breadth that we breathed out then early in the morning.
Can happen again provided we make the population less then 3 million and stop creating unnatural Gardens By The Bay.
It is in our hands.

Global warming is causing every where to be hotter than decades ago.
I recall that when I first arrived in Toronto in 1981, spring in May and early June are my favourite months because the temperature is between 12 to 20C with longer daylight hours until it peak on June 20.
Unfortunately, global warming has made the weather upside down, with very little snow and very mild temperature the past winter, record high in March (24C) which I have never experienced in more than 3 decades, extreme heat alert in June and July, record high in July (36.8 C this year).
Gone are the days when I swam in 17C water at Georgian Bay (drains into Lake Huron) and in the outdoor swimming pool in 17C and below in early Sep before the pool closes for the season.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Miss Holland Road open air cinema from the 70s with long wooden benchs. Can see lizards crawling all over the screen.

Kenna rain, all will siam to corner and carry on watching lol.

Adults 50-cents, children 30-cents.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kumsiah bro GD, but my area of interests is totaLLy off from the norms here..hence i can't contribute that much as i wished.:o

Just curious bro. What's your area of interests? A to Z is covered in this forum. Shouldn't be that difficult to contribute. Can also TCSS here.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes at Liat Towers, never heard that it ever "ponded" way back then..used to sit at the MacDonald's there, with a cup of Strawberry milkshakes and watch the girls go by!!

When, bro? I also used to sit around there and bio the chios. That was probably in 1977 or 78 when it first opened.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sir,
I am able, willing and ready to work with all of you to write the book.
I am in my 50's, and grew up in Telok Blangah, Kampung Jagoh, and Kampong Radin Mas (near the foot of Mt Faber).
Those were the good days, although we grew up financially poor.
Cheers.
Charlie in Toronto

Thank you, bro. Warmest regards to you and yours.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also given to customers at jewellery and watch stores. The bottle was pimpled and when ice cold was nice to hold and sip.

This sparkling orange drink came in a small bottle and a Green cap.

It was a drink that was offered at almost all Chinese funeral wakes.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, seriously you should also consider writing your own journey thru life. You have shared on a number of occasions snippets of army, univesity, work, family etc. i found them all to be inspirational.

Sir,
I am able, willing and ready to work with all of you to write the book.
I am in my 50's, and grew up in Telok Blangah, Kampung Jagoh, and Kampong Radin Mas (near the foot of Mt Faber).
Those were the good days, although we grew up financially poor.
Cheers.
Charlie in Toronto

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Royal+Crown+Cola.jpg

sinalco.jpg

There are others like: Green Spot, kickapoo, mirinda & etc.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello uncle,

A piece of dark chocolate (say 85% cocoa) is food for the heart.

Thank you Charlie99,
It was truly nice to share your knowledge.
Hope to communicate more with you
Please feel free to ask whatever info that you may need.
Most willing to help.
Have a nice day.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Global warming is causing every where to be hotter than decades ago.
I recall that when I first arrived in Toronto in 1981, spring in May and early June are my favourite months because the temperature is between 12 to 20C with longer daylight hours until it peak on June 20.
Unfortunately, global warming has made the weather upside down, with very little snow and very mild temperature the past winter, record high in March (24C) which I have never experienced in more than 3 decades, extreme heat alert in June and July, record high in July (36.8 C this year).
Gone are the days when I swam in 17C water at Georgian Bay (drains into Lake Huron) and in the outdoor swimming pool in 17C and below in early Sep before the pool closes for the season.

Sad to say this is a man-made phenomena.
Yet no one agrees.
The skies flooded with planes and its emissions,
The ground with cars and other fuel-thirsty machines.
The increase in polulation and with it the increase in human waste.
Forest burning.
Man will only learn and appreciate when disaster strike and that too for a short while.
Canada still is a lovely and natural place compared to the massive rape of Singapore

ablekid

Alfrescian
Loyal

This sparkling orange drink came in a small bottle and a Green cap.

Product of Amoycan or Amoy Canning Corporation.

Factory was somewhere at 7 milestone Bukit Timah Road. Site of present Bukit Timah Plaza.

It was a drink that was offered at almost all Chinese funeral wakes.

No the "Green Spot "factory was next to the Bukit Timah Fire Station, with a giant size rotating
Green Spot Bottle at the corner of the factory.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sit around there and bio the chios. probably in 1977 or 78 when it first opened.
halsey02 said:
..Liat Towers, never heard that it ever "ponded" way back then..used to sit at the MacDonald's there ..watch the girls go by!!
Errr... you blokes not happen to be Mckids (competition from FE plaze kids across)?:p Or possibly, "seniors" then?:wink:

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any bros recall the drink RC Cola? Should be in the late 60s and early 70s.

Yes, RC Cola popped out from National Aerated Water Company and quickly fizzled away.
Coca and Pepsi Cola were the giants AND MAIN PLAYERS. They were aligned to local giants like F&N and other big players.

Do you remember about the unique bottle from EASTERN Aerated Water,
The main factory was situated (and still is) at the Lorong 22 junction of Geylang Road just opposite the Post Office.
Their brand was a steamer making way in the oceans.
They had a unique colourful drinks and one particular drink that tasted like Banana fruit. The contents was Green in colour.

Old timers must also be able to recall FRAMROZ soft drinks factory. If I am not wrong, the factory was somewhere in Paya Lebar Road.

In the early 50's there used to be a giant bottle of FRAMROZ Orange displayed at the junction of Airport Road and Macpherson Road just before Playfair Road.
I grew up in that area and if only somone is able to show me a pic of that advert, I will be the happiest person for it bring back the fond memories of those slow days gone by when, after school I used to pick discarded metal, tin and bottles to sell to the Karung-Guni at nearby Harper Road for pocket money.
So thirsty I used to be in the afternoons that that bottle high up above made me drool.

Framroz bottles were same of the size with F&N Sarsaparilla, Cherryade, Ice Cream Soda, Orangeade. They had medium size and bigger ones. The big one used to come in wooden crates of 12 each, whereas the medium ones come in 24 bottles. Families will buy these crates during the New Years and other celebrations.