• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the wan ton mee and ice kacang outside the old National Library.
the food at Waterloo Street near the old SJI
Satay Club at Beach Road, then at Queen Elizabeth Walk

slidingbolt

Alfrescian
Loyal
I miss the pickled young papaya and mango they used to sell at drink stalls.
The old Robinsons site before it burned down by an electrical fire.
The coast line behind Katong before land reclaimed for Marine Parade.
Remember staring at Sentosa's cable cars from the barracks of Gillman camp during stand by bed.
Hell, now I remember the first weekend out during basic training. Real food finally after 5 weeks.
Motorcycles through Daytona, Monza and Mt Faber.
Also top speed runs next to the airport.
I liked the Beefeater restaurant on River Valley Rd. Also Troika down in Orchard.
Singapore has the most awesome collection of food in the world.
Quite a few very good friends.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
306890_329396397147209_1453516572_n.jpg

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the sticky memories is used to dine at do-re-mi restaurant after school at the old plaza singapura.

Also used to bring my first gf to our first date at ponderosa at marina square....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, ckt stall in kpt along Armenian Street. Hay piah ngo hiang stall in same kpt. US Embassy used to be just opposite. I think the old Tao Nan School there too. Haven't been there for years.

I ate the char kway teow with HUM from father to son, now the coffee shop is torn down, the son is selling the food somewhere in SINgapore. The Hay Piah Ngo Hiang man retired, his niece took over, his children didn't want to continue, the only thing that was hand made when she took over, was the ngo hiang. After a while she closed down, the coffee shop I remember the home made barley, missed the ambiance of that place.

Next door was the US embassy, I was a member of the USIS ( United States Information Service) library member, still have the library membership card with me. Back then, the US embassy wasn't like FORT KNOX so inaccessible.

Opposite was Tao Nan School, and left hand side was The Bible Society...down the road towards MPH was Great Shanghai Restaurant, Mayfair hotel right? and Wilmer Clinic & Cosdell Singapore was upstairs.

g3abc

Alfrescian
Loyal
does anyone remember Johor Road ? Dr. Chan Ah Kw's Clinic ? I remember the very interesting views of Johor Road, whilst walking pass, to get to the bucher chop at Victria streets,... what happend to prstitutes and Transvestites, when they grow old ? or do they all die young ?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One of the sticky memories is used to dine at do-re-mi restaurant after school at the old plaza singapura.

Also used to bring my first gf to our first date at ponderosa at marina square....

bring my gf up the stairs between Hill Street Fire station and Hill street police station, to Fort Canning for a round of "rubba rubba"... ha ha ha

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
stairs between Hill Street Fire station and Hill street police station, to Fort Canning for a round of "rubba rubba"... ha ha ha
Better still, hike across to section (behind ex national library, drama centre) ... got some old tomestones, sure chabor scared, and rest leave to your imagination:p Only problem is humidity, and if after rain .. get wet.

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember drove my gf to punggol end during the 90s and have some outdoor fun. Aircon was on max, windows are foggin on the outside. Cant beat the excitment

AhPuNeNe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Missed the kachiang putek at cathay cinema.
Fried oyster mobile run earth cow stall at my old house downstair.
Roller skating, tea dancing, marina square kids, orchard kids, depeche mode, erasure, euro pop, motor siao...etc

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cathay kachang puteh was good compared to Orchard. The old man paid for his son's masters education in India and then the son took over. I wondered why.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, ckt stall in kpt along Armenian Street. Hay piah ngo hiang stall in same kpt. US Embassy used to be just opposite. I think the old Tao Nan School there too. Haven't been there for years.

I almost always ate that hay piah ngo hiang in that kpt whenever I went to the library. I think in those days all of that hand made by the shop and not a reseller like nowadays.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I ate the char kway teow with HUM from father to son, now the coffee shop is torn down, the son is selling the food somewhere in SINgapore. The Hay Piah Ngo Hiang man retired, his niece took over, his children didn't want to continue, the only thing that was hand made when she took over, was the ngo hiang. After a while she closed down, the coffee shop I remember the home made barley, missed the ambiance of that place.

Next door was the US embassy, I was a member of the USIS ( United States Information Service) library member, still have the library membership card with me. Back then, the US embassy wasn't like FORT KNOX so inaccessible.

Opposite was Tao Nan School, and left hand side was The Bible Society...down the road towards MPH was Great Shanghai Restaurant, Mayfair hotel right? and Wilmer Clinic & Cosdell Singapore was upstairs.

Further up, Methodist Book Room. Next to it, Masonic something. Very secretive chaps. ACPS next door.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any bro here recall Tivoli? Owned by Lim family that produced 3 national swimmers - David, Jenny and Alan. Latter not that outstanding.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Better still, hike across to section (behind ex national library, drama centre) ... got some old tomestones, sure chabor scared, and rest leave to your imagination:p Only problem is humidity, and if after rain .. get wet.

Never went that way, I used the more discreet flight of stairs, what is line from Eddie Rabbit song, " I found love, at the top of the stairs".

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any bro here recall Tivoli? Owned by Lim family that produced 3 national swimmers - David, Jenny and Alan. Latter not that outstanding.

Tivoli owned by them? never knew, who can forget...how about Chico & Charlie anyone? drank my first Martguerita there & I couldn't stand up for at least half an hour, ha ha ha