• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

There should be no retirement age for S’pore: MM Lee

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew says there should be no retirement age for workers in Singapore.

He made the suggestion on Wednesday at a dialogue session in conjunction with the 30th anniversary of the Singapore National Employers Federation (SNEF) attended by over 900 senior managers, government officials and unionists.

According to a Channel NewsAsia report, he said: “You work as long as you can work and you will be healthier and happier for it. If you ask me to stop working all of a sudden, I think I’ll just shrivel up, face the wall and just that.”

Responding to a question on challenges Singapore may face with an aging population, MM Lee said old people should be more productive.

The 86-year-old added that at his age, he may have aches and pains but he can keep going.

From 2012, workers who hit the retirement age of 62 in Singapore will be offered re-employment by their employers.

MM Lee said older workers will need to come to terms with the psychological switch – that is, working for less pay and very likely for a younger boss.

Another hot topic discussed at the dialogue was foreign talent. MM Lee said foreign talents come to Singapore because of the opportunities it offers.

He said that their numbers will add to a growing “intellectual class”.

MM Lee added: “We are going to have an intellectual class, about maybe three times as big as what you have now and that will give us the dynamism, the powerful engine to carry us forward faster.”

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Correct. Anyone who are in their eigties should work themselves to death cleaning toilets and clearing tables ...:(

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i tot tis is old news?

there is no way to retire looking the way the govt leech our money dry.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my question is why do we need so many foreign talents? Don't he know that competition for jobs is already very stressful. Nowadays, to get a good job with decent salary is not easy.

few reasons I can think of: bringing them to strengthen Spore as a competitive hub, exchange with local workers to improve their soft skills,what else?:confused:

Another hot topic discussed at the dialogue was foreign talent. MM Lee said foreign talents come to Singapore because of the opportunities it offers.

MM Lee added: “We are going to have an intellectual class, about maybe three times as big as what you have now and that will give us the dynamism, the powerful engine to carry us forward faster.”

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel very sad for this remark of his. Everyone looks towards retirement.

I think EVERYONE can take this remark VERY seriously. SINGAPORE is not the country for humans to live in.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dun think he meant it that way! one can still withdraw CPF at age of 55. But the thing is Foreign talents? Why so many?:confused:

he dun wan say mah, too obvious

yet again, another cock and bull story taking us for a ride.:oIo:

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes there should be no retirement age thats for those who deem fit to carry on....

but there should be some benefits for those who seriously cant work at a certain age

like age 65 and above shld be taxed free or free medicare or free public transportation

ahben

Alfrescian
Loyal
f**king Shit, he told Japan to learn from us regarding FTs for aging problems, now he tells sillyporeans to learn from aging Japan.

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel very sad for this remark of his. Everyone looks towards retirement.

I think EVERYONE can take this remark VERY seriously. SINGAPORE is not the country for humans to live in.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='funct
ion'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

want to retire, please run road

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
he dun wan say mah, too obvious

yet again, another cock and bull story taking us for a ride.:oIo:

Work it 2 our adv lah...we work frm 25-35 then say enuff dun 1 2 work anymore...since no retirement age pls gib me bk my cpf...then 2 wk later we tell em...sori i chg my mind but sori hor de cpf u rtn me i spend all leow...repeat de process ebery 10 yrs...:biggrin::biggrin::p

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

reflecting the limited success of our education system, MM feels we need to import an "intellectual (elite) class" rather than having it home grown through our education system.

no surprises given our students are driven by one main KPI: annual salary.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to a Channel NewsAsia report, he said: “You work as long as you can work and you will be healthier and happier for it. If you ask me to stop working all of a sudden, I think I’ll just shrivel up, face the wall and just that.”

Responding to a question on challenges Singapore may face with an aging population, MM Lee said old people should be more productive.

The 86-year-old added that at his age, he may have aches and pains but he can keep going.

Coming from a 86-year-old himself, he is thinking that there are jobs begging for workers beyond 50 years old, let alone 60s, 70s or even 80s. Even those in the early 40s are loosing their jobs to cheaper, yet less productive FTs.

Of course he can keep going. Who dared to ask him what the hell is he doing going to other countries to tell them what to do ? He should reflect on how he is still remaining in his job getting millions, on top of pension. He thinks that all others are like him higher mortal who do not first have to fulfil their basic needs as discribed by Maslow's Needs Hierarchy, yet talk about happiness, self-actualisation, etc.

Even if there are jobs available to lesser mortals around 50s, 60s...etc. What kind of jobs AND salary to make it worthwhile for them to continue working ? I do want to go into details comparing what this old man is getting in terms of benefits and those lesser mortals cleaning toilets.

If MM can fix the emplyment opportunity issues of the forties,and fifties, let alone those in 60s, then his words makes sense. Else he just telling the poor who have problems with 3 meals to go to the resturants to get their food, just does not make sense.

Clearly the MIW are living high up in their ivory towers, thinking the roads in singapore are paved with gold and opportunites.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I also find that his statements focus on the well-off seniors. What abt those not doing so well? Ignore them,izzit!

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"No retirement age" can mean different things to different people. Not everyone can be so gainfully employed with a sky-high salary to boot at the ripe old age of 86. Looking at death statistics alone, may people die way before age 80 from a variety of causes both natural and unnatural. I'm sure there are many who look forward to retirement after a half century or so of slogging. Methinks no point working so hard against the laws of Nature. But then again, there's one and only one MM in the world!:wink:

wahlaneh

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
the day he straightens his both legs inside that rectangular wooden box would be his retirement day.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is the old mental fart trying to tell us he will be sticking around for the next GE? If that is so then these words are really coming back to haunt the wooden one "PA SEE BUAY ZHAO".

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:LKY

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
the day he straightens his both legs inside that rectangular wooden box would be his retirement day.

And he gets his State funeral. That is what he wanted to establish himself in the history of Singapore and people obligated to him, even though he is paid handsomely for his doing the job.