• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A temple in Kaki Bukit constituency graciously invited our Members of Parliament to attend their celebratory/fundraiser dinner.

They went out of their way to make us feel welcome, specially arranging halal food for our Muslim diners.

We were very grateful for the hospitality, and were honoured to be part of the community and their celebrations.

Thank you! — at Blk 511 Bedok North St 3.

10423754_714117805316103_2228229206978327281_n.jpg

10390040_714117778649439_4032227759996656178_n.jpg

10418323_714117791982771_9167227541445790039_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The stated reason for this privilege is to promote collaboration between schools and the community. While I think it is relevant that there should be collaboration between schools and the community, it is questionable how many community leaders have actually been actively doing so. If the intention is really such, there can be a change to the rule. The principal of the school that the community leader is applying for priority entry for their children into, must endorse that the community leader is actually actively involved in collaboration projects with the schools for a sustained period. Right now, it appears that this is not the case from the reply given by Senior Minister of State, Ms Indranee Rajah to my question on 13 May 2013 (see below).

Anyone who wishes to serve as a community leader should serve voluntarily. I fail to see how active service to the community but not to the school will actually “promote collaboration between schools and the community.” By attaching various benefits to service as a community leader, it may distort the meaning of community service. The reason stated by the PA that “only deserving grassroots leaders and district councillors would benefit” seem to imply that these leaders must receive various benefits for their service.

Time to review priority for Primary 1 registration for community leaders
yeejj.wordpress.com

Last Thursday (12 June 2014), it was announced that parents who become grassroots volunteers will have to do at least two years of grassroots work and not one...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Daniel PS Goh[/h]
Were you surprised by ST opinion editor Chua's generous quotation of Low's speech on constructive politics to criticise the ruling party? I thought it was quite a feat. At least now she looks a bit like the "non-partisan" (I dislike this term) "public intellectual" (I dislike this term too; and both together, lagi dislike) who rises above "politics" (like this is bad) to show the way. It weighed on me the whole day yesterday -- need to get it out of my system.

Chua sees policy and politics as separate (which is a view promoted by MPs calling for the "depoliticisation" of healthcare and CPF). I see it otherwise. In a mature society with a complex operating environment, such as ours, good politics will help achieve good policies, bad politics are likely to lead to ineffective, insensitive and out-of-touch policies. Good policies are not hampered by bad politics; good policies happen, fortunately, despite bad politics.

Why? In a complex environment, there are multiple rationalities, synergies and tradeoffs at work to give a wide range of policy options. Political values such as fairness, justice, accountability, collective responsibility, group rights, etc., come into play to help us debate and decide which is the best option for the country. And good politics is not "non-partisan", it embraces partisan politics in a constructive way and it is also "beyond-partisan", involving a thriving civil society and public sphere.

If we leave it to a technocracy, no matter how able, to do the job of debating and deciding, then we are just abdicating our responsibility as citizens to contribute to the making of our own lives. This is when we play the blame-the-government game, demanding expensively paid executives to fix the problems, instead of participating in the political process (by debating, contributing feedback to the civil service, volunteering with a party, doing grassroots work, etc.).

Good policies hampered by bad politics
[url]www.straitstimes.com

A Member of Parliament said this recently in Parliament, urging fellow politicians to work together to build a positive political culture.

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

"By using such tactics in past elections, the PAP risked failing to connect with a generation of voters. Many of those in their 30s and 40s today who might have become keen supporters of the Establishment status quo and a solid PAP-voting bloc may have instead become disenchanted by the political process as they came of age. They witnessed one too many one-sided political battles."

I think this quite aptly describes what I went through.

"The Government has tried to set the agenda with its notion of 'constructive politics'. Aside from its supporters, others want to hear more of that – from the Government. Will the PAP in the next election still try its votes-for-upgrading strategy and continue its creative redrawing of electoral boundaries?"

Yes, I think many are waiting to see what will happen at the next elections. Walk the talk or just talk?

An interesting read.

Good policies hampered by bad politics

A Member of Parliament said this recently in Parliament, urging fellow politicians to work together to build a positive political culture.

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]
"To get employers to develop skills of students and employees, the idea of offering monetary incentives could be considered and firms could come together and be grouped by sector, so they could work together to offer training opportunities, said Education Minister Heng Swee Keat."

Yes, I think so too that better incentives and programmes can be structured to have more meaningful internships. Amongst others, below is one of the suggestions I had made in parliament on internship:

"Internship can be an effort beyond the institutions. It can be at the country level. We can identify technical skills needed in priority sectors and help inject these capabilities into local companies to make them global players. The government can work with larger companies to identify those prepared to commit a minimum number of internship places with real-world projects, and support companies by funding an internship manager. This manager can mentor interns and even guide them while they work part-time from their schools on projects initiated during internship. This will allow companies to assign longer and realistic internship projects and tap on academic supervisors to guide students in research.

By building deeper engagement, it will raise the bar for internship across the country and foster closer links between the industry and research done in tertiary institutions." - extract of my speech at COS on Education, 7 March 2014

Heng calls on companies to do more in workplace training
[url]www.todayonline.com

AMSTERDAM — To get employers to develop skills of students and employees, the idea of offering monetary incentives could be considered and firms could come together and be grouped by sector, so they could work together to offer training opportunities, said Education Minister...

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pritam Singh

A 'reward' scheme that encourages kiasu-ism in parents and contributes to the pressure cooker that is the education system. Worse, it adds a cynical aftertaste to volunteerism and makes public service transactional. "….long-time grassroots leaders say it is not uncommon to see a surge in the number of people who apply to be community leaders a year before their child is due to register for Primary 1."

Duh!

This policy should be abolished once and for all. Full article below.

Stricter Primary 1 priority rules for Grassroots workers

"PARENTS who become grassroots volunteers in the hope of getting priority for their children in the Primary 1 registration exercise will have to serve twice as long as before. They will have to do at least two years of grassroots work, not one, to qualify for the benefit.
They will also be restricted to schools in the constituency where they live. Up to now, grassroots leaders could get priority for their children in schools near their homes as well as in the constituencies where they volunteered.

The changes, which will affect children registering for Primary 1 in 2016 and later, were announced by the People's Association (PA) in a circular sent in April, a copy of which was obtained by The Straits Times.

Signed by Mr Ang Hak Seng, the PA's chief executive director, and addressed to advisers of its grassroots organisations and mayors of the Community Development Councils, it said the PA had reviewed the scheme and felt it was still "relevant" in promoting collaboration between schools and the community.

But the changes were made to ensure that only "deserving" grassroots leaders and district councillors would benefit.

The scheme qualifies active grassroots volunteers for Phase 2B of the Primary 1 registration exercise, which also includes parents who are school volunteers or have church or clan associations. Earlier phases of the registration are for siblings of current pupils or children of past pupils.

About 400 children enrol in primary schools under the active community leaders scheme each year, less than 1 per cent of the Primary 1 cohort, according to a parliamentary reply by the Education Ministry last year.

But long-time grassroots leaders say it is not uncommon to see a surge in the number of people who apply to be community leaders a year before their child is due to register for Primary 1.

Lawyer Kenneth Au-Yong, a member of the Ulu Pandan citizens' consultative committee who is in his 50s, said: "When you have a popular school within the constituency, volunteers will come to you. You don't have to look for them."

The Ulu Pandan division under the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC has four popular primary schools: Henry Park Primary, Nanyang Primary, Methodist Girls' School and Raffles Girls' Primary School.

Mr Au-Yong said he has seen parents dropping out of activities and grassroots meetings once their children start school. "We should not allow the system to be abused like this."

Parents whose children will register in 2016 for primary education and who wish to join the scheme will have to be appointed as grassroots leaders in various grassroots organisations and district councillors of the five Community Development Councils by June 30."

Stricter Primary 1 priority rules for grassroots workers

Parents who become grassroots volunteers in the hope of getting priority for their children in the Primary 1 registration exercise will have to serve twice as long as before. They will have to do at least two years of grassroots work, not one, to qualify for the benefit.

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pritam Singh

WP MP Png Eng Huat recently called for greater flexibility in the use of CPF funds for members in their old-age in his speech during the debate in Parliament on the President address last month. Much as been said about how CPF funds should be used and disbursed over the years. A range of ideas on the way forward continue to be heard. However, many ideas have been suggested previously in some shape or form by Singaporeans from all walks of life. In the run up to the PM Lee's National Day Rally speech, where he is expected to make some announcements on the CPF, I will be uploading CPF-related articles that have appeared in the mainstream media over the decades.

The purpose is educative, to solicit feedback, and to hear the views of Singaporeans, as we all seek to better understand this complex creature known as the CPF. The CPF has been modified to fulfill many objectives of CPF members from education to perhaps most importantly, health and housing, amongst others, far beyond the original idea of the British colonialists when they set it up in 1955 - largely to avoid the problem of having to set aside larger and larger budgets for old-age pensions and basically, to deal with retirement. Indeed, the CPF's complexity and its purpose/s are often underestimated, given the number of roles it fulfills, or is meant to fulfill. Each article will as far as possible look at specific issues pertaining to the CPF, while others will be more strategic and over-arching in nature. Looking forward to all your views/opinions.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Daniel PS Goh

An old soul of a friend told me she was very surprised I took the step to enter politics and join the Workers' Party, despite knowing that I long harboured strong political views and leanings in the party's direction.

"You were always the thoughtful monk who could see and speak the complexity and greyness of the world, the ethical dilemmas of life. Help the party, write some papers, sure. But become a politician, to be certain of right and wrong, left and right, I still don't see it."

Honestly, I still don't see it myself. But this has been playing in my head, since she said it, when I am in a bit of a philosophical funk. This is affect.

The wild dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company
I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

Africa (acoustic Toto cover) - Mike Masse and Jeff Hall

Now available on iTunes! [url]http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/africa-feat.-jeff-hall/id538715861?i=538715865
My...

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]14.06.08 - Serangoon North Zone Party[/h]Updated <abbr title="Saturday, June 21, 2014 at 11:35pm" data-utime="1403364932" class="timestamp">10 hours ago</abbr> · Taken at Serangoon North Ave1 Blk 143

We were glad to have Associate Lawyer from ATMD Bird & Bird, Ms Cassandra Ow, who gave a Community Talk on Wills and Probate during our Zone Party.

We also thanked the Police Officers from Serangoon Neighbourhood Police Centre for setting up a booth at the Zone Party, to educate residents on crime prevention.

10270822_718001578261059_5160672176745523827_n.jpg

10502230_718002121594338_2010482319965518263_n.jpg

10492002_718002118261005_1818847472595773014_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

"Currently, pupils in Dutch schools have to sit for tests set by external evaluators at the end of primary school. Primary school teachers would recommend secondary level tracks a child should enter — academic or vocational, for instance. Secondary schools admit their students based on teachers’ advice, with test scores serving as a second opinion to verify the teachers’ input. From next year, this approach will be made mandatory by law."

Do you think this will work in Singapore?

Consider teacher input along with PSLE scores, says Dutch expert
[url]www.todayonline.com

ARNHEM (The Netherlands) — Instead of relying only on Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) results for secondary school admissions in Singapore, teachers’ input can also be taken into account, suggested...

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=5]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]
"Despite their longer hours, Singapore teachers spend fewer hours teaching (17), compared with the international average of 19 hours. On average, they spend more time on activities such as marking, lesson planning, administrative work and extracurricular activities.

Nevertheless, 88 per cent of those surveyed said they are satisfied with their jobs. The international average is 91 per cent. The proportion of Singapore teachers who felt the teaching profession was valued in their society was also the second-highest among the participating countries.

Mr Andreas Schleicher, OECD’s deputy director for education and skills, said Singapore teachers are paid relatively higher than teachers overseas. “The choice Singapore makes to prioritise the quality of teachers above things such as the size of classes or less working time is certainly a wise strategy to invest in scarce resources.” But he added that the additional time needed by local teachers for administrative tasks and marking showed there was room for reflection on structuring their workload more effectively."

What do you think?

S’pore teachers work longer hours but are satisfied: Poll
[url]www.todayonline.com

SINGAPORE — On average, teachers here work longer hours — with more time spent on administrative tasks and extracurricular activities — compared with their overseas counterparts, an international study has found. Still, almost nine in 10 of those surveyed said they are satisfied...

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset