• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Yong Soon "Tio Kan" by Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean

PermTemp

PermSec is the highest paid civil servant after the Minister.
I once temp at a stat board (no choice, PRs and Foreigners took away all jobs that were my first choices) for 6 months and was often mistaken by staff as an office boy(man) who did odd chores. I was doing an inventory list of office equipments in the Finance Dept one day and a lady staff, whose ranking is equivalent to that of financial controller in private sector, call to me 'hey you, there is some printouts, take them from printer and bring to me'. No 'please' or 'thanks'. So I took the printouts which were excel numbers and figures. I took a look and it was a spreadsheet on current/new year budgeting on monies allocation for highest level civil servants in that stat board. The two most obvious lines were the minister's pay + bonuses and that of the perm sec's. Let's say the perm sec's is very well taken care of.
Think of a figure between $500,000 and $1,000,000 and think of it being on the high side. I brought them to the lady staff and placed them on her table and left. Again, there was no mention of 'thanks' from her.
All perm secs are paid highly for their helicopter views, if you read their internal reports, a lot of strategic talks between inter and intra agencies and ministries, national planning for the next year, study visits to foreign countries (i.e. perm secs laid the roads and contacts for the ministers when they go overseas), etc.
I got to read internal reports because I was asked to do filing works too.... I have a degree but everyone in the office thought of me as a 'O' level dropout.
Anyway... the gist of it is that the top ppl are very very highly paid except that this fellow Tan shows to ST readers a glimpse of their high life ...
Today I still work as a short-term contract staff but no longer in that stat board.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I once temp at a stat board (no choice, PRs and Foreigners took away all jobs that were my first choices) ..... Today I still work as a short-term contract staff but no longer in that stat board.

Brudder... Sorry to hear about your plight in the workforce. What degree you have? Maybe can consider sign on army or police and get kou-kou civil service pay plus uniform allowance. Teacher also not bad to tide over this recession.

It's sad our system doesn't serve the citizens but it's the other way round. I say can't beat them, join them....

Good luck.

funglung

Alfrescian
Loyal
No ordinary civil servant - top of the grade Perm Sec, the guys who finalises policy and has no clue what is going on. The words empathy, common sense, decency appears to have no relevance.

This is not poor judgement. The whole world was facing a massive liquidity crunch never seen before. Blue Chip banks were going to the wire, people were losing jobs and he was having the time of his life.

What about the imbecile press?

Why question about that poor judgment?

Is the judgement that much better of Sinkies who voted for LKY and his money thirsty thugs ?

It is the constant voting by ball-less Sinkies for LKY that enabled overpaid Perm Sec to boast of their Paris cooking lessons.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that suaku's English that bad. Fortunately, I have never met him nor spoke to him.
I would have thought an SAF Overseas Scholar like him, and apparently from Catholic High School, should speak better than average English.

Not sure of others but every time I hear him speak, I feel as though my tooth is being pulled.

Yes, I agree you are indeed fortunate never to have listened to him speaking.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I once temp at a stat board (no choice, PRs and Foreigners took away all jobs that were my first choices) for 6 months and was often mistaken by staff as an office boy(man) who did odd chores. I was doing an inventory list of office equipments in the Finance Dept one day and a lady staff, whose ranking is equivalent to that of financial controller in private sector, call to me 'hey you, there is some printouts, take them from printer and bring to me'. No 'please' or 'thanks'. So I took the printouts which were excel numbers and figures. I took a look and it was a spreadsheet on current/new year budgeting on monies allocation for highest level civil servants in that stat board. The two most obvious lines were the minister's pay + bonuses and that of the perm sec's. Let's say the perm sec's is very well taken care of.
Think of a figure between $500,000 and $1,000,000 and think of it being on the high side. I brought them to the lady staff and placed them on her table and left. Again, there was no mention of 'thanks' from her.
All perm secs are paid highly for their helicopter views, if you read their internal reports, a lot of strategic talks between inter and intra agencies and ministries, national planning for the next year, study visits to foreign countries (i.e. perm secs laid the roads and contacts for the ministers when they go overseas), etc.
I got to read internal reports because I was asked to do filing works too.... I have a degree but everyone in the office thought of me as a 'O' level dropout.
Anyway... the gist of it is that the top ppl are very very highly paid except that this fellow Tan shows to ST readers a glimpse of their high life ...
Today I still work as a short-term contract staff but no longer in that stat board.

With respect, perhaps, you may wish to consider improving your English to reflect that you have a dregree.
For example, equipment is the same regardless of singular or plural; between versus amongst (between 2, amongst more than 2)

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure of others but every time I hear him speak, I feel as though my tooth is being pulled.

Yes, I agree you are indeed fortunate never to have listened to him speaking.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.
An SAF Overseas Scholar (and a Minister and a union leader) does not impress me if he is unable to communicate well.
For all the money they incurred to send those fellows to Ivy League universities, and thereafter to graduate school, perhaps, they should have provided them with a few lessons on public speaking.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just makes me want to leave this fucked up place even more! I can't believe I returned here to work!

I am glad that I did not accept an offer to return to SG to work in the mid-1980's. A corporation sent me return tickets via courier, and I flew to London for the interview, stayed overnight, chatted the next morning, and returned to Toronto within 48 hours.

Even my mother suggested that I remained outside of SG.

Perhaps, I could have earned more money working and living in SG during those boom years, after the mid 1980's recession, but although I may be financially poorer, I am not that poor with respect to overall quality of life.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for sharing your perspective.
An SAF Overseas Scholar (and a Minister and a union leader) does not impress me if he is unable to communicate well.
For all the money they incurred to send those fellows to Ivy League universities, and thereafter to graduate school, perhaps, they should have provided them with a few lessons on public speaking.

No problem. My opinion is, a person needs to have the basics of the language right first before he/she can be trained on public speaking.

How long have you been out of Singapore? Ever been back here on holiday to meet up with your friends/relatives? My son is also living and working overseas for more than a decade. Told him to come home to touch base with family and friends every year but other than that to stay away from Singapore to bring up his family, unless there is a regime change.

lubehsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
With respect, perhaps, you may wish to consider improving your English to reflect that you have a dregree.
For example, equipment is the same regardless of singular or plural; between versus amongst (between 2, amongst more than 2)

just becos you have been living in an angmoh country doesn;t necessary mean that your england will be good and you can start correcting others lesser mortals(seems to be popukar words theses days) angmoh,theres nothing wrong with using "between"in that sentence,