• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tampines Brothers & Parental Responsibility

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am certain they were not taught. The truck did not mount the kerb. They were knocked down at a pedestrian crossing, one of the most vulnerable spot. Its a truck not mouse that might have been missed. A truck does not appear from thin air and it is not silent.

Safety and situational awareness has nothing to do with right of way. If they had right of way, it does not help them being dead from a negligent motorists.

Serious road cyclists will understand what situational awareness is all about. They know how to reduce their risk profile. They understand what is are primary and secondary positions are and when to use them. They also know what a door length means? They know how to use their hearing to judge proximity of closing vehicles. It does not guarantee their safety but significantly reduces risk.

These things can be taught in schools and does not take much time.

ps. if you are a serious cyclist, you will fear one particular car - the toyota prius ( guess why?)

And you assume that the victims were not taught?

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like to add that Tampines Town Council must shoulder part of the blame. There're no cycling paths in Tampines at all, no thanks to Irene Lee.

Because Tampines Town Council did not educate the Tampines cyclists, the cyclists ride as they think is correct in Tampines.

Who the fuck is Irene Lee? Now every MIW also surname Lee ah? KNN

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am certain they were not taught. The truck did not mount the kerb. They were knocked down at a pedestrian crossing, one of the most vulnerable spot. Its a truck not mouse that might have been missed. A truck does not appear from thin air and it is not silent.

Safety and situational awareness has nothing to do with right of way. If they had right of way, it does not help them being dead from a negligent motorists.

Serious road cyclists will understand what situational awareness is all about. They know how to reduce their risk profile. They understand what is are primary and secondary positions are and when to use them. They also know what a door length means? They know how to use their hearing to judge proximity of closing vehicles. It does not guarantee their safety but significantly reduces risk.

The parents said that they were taught road safety. Guess, we should just dismiss the parents' claim?
They are just children. You are expecting too much from them. I don't even think they are road cyclists. They were just crossing at a junction and the light was in their favour.

I am all for teaching cyclists and motorcyclists defensive skills. But I still believe that the greater onus is on drivers. Thus, I continue to advocate harsh sentencing on drivers found responsible for the death of another road user.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The younger boy was riding pillion!!! What safety. If I was them I too would claim the same out of shame. That's an understandable response.

The parents said that they were taught road safety. Guess, we should just dismiss the parents' claim?
They are just children. You are expecting too much from them. I don't even think they are road cyclists. They were just crossing at a junction and the light was in their favour.

I am all for teaching cyclists and motorcyclists defensive skills. But I still believe that the greater onus is on drivers. Thus, I continue to advocate harsh sentencing on drivers found responsible for the death of another road user.

king_of_abalone

Alfrescian
Loyal

Are you a driver? If not then don't talk cock.

I have encountered several times Indians and chinamen zooming across pedestrian crossings just when I saw that the coast is clear and about to turn. These fuckers are real bastards. They don't understand that we drivers have many things to look out for, like fast oncoming traffic as well as pedestrians crossing the road. It really doesn't help that these bastards zoom across at the last minute when you're about to turn!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have encountered several times Indians and chinamen zooming across pedestrian crossings just when I saw that the coast is clear and about to turn. These fuckers are real bastards. They don't understand that we drivers have many things to look out for, like fast oncoming traffic as well as pedestrians crossing the road. It really doesn't help that these bastards zoom across at the last minute when you're about to turn!

Well, if you can't handle driving, then don't drive! Are you accusing the two boys of rushing onto the road when the light was not in their favour? Unless you have proof, I would suggest that you let the two boys rest in peace.

If you are looking wide enough and driving at proper speed, you can still stop for those dashers. It is for drivers like you who feel entitled that harsher sentencing will help.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know this will be politically incorrect and insensitive to some but I have issues where children are not accorded the proper protection and guidance.

The reality is that the victims are the 2 brothers. Also understand that it is an accident and possibly negligence on the part of the driver but the level of traffic at the location is a red flag at the best of times. I know many parents will not allow their kids to ride a bike let alone carry a pillion in such an environment.

We might not have helped with this situation but we can help further avoid such accidents or reduce it if we are prepared to see it for what it is.

I have no doubt that authorities could have and should have played a path. 1st World countries limit speed at school zones. Special cycles path ways including traffic signals for bicycles have been done. Its worth every penny to invest in our our young and our future. It will be a boon for those who can't afford maids and bus fares.

Lets be considerate, lets be sensitive but lets also recognise that the 2 kids are the actual victims. Peer and society pressure will force parents and guardians to re-look and assess the situation when it comes to looking after their wards.

Some people have made similar comments but have been marginalised. I just felt that adults should realise that they have a responsibility for whoever they bring into this world.

pls dun follow USA method for protecting school.
The blame of this accident totally fall on the parent for not educating the kids on road safety.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
pls dun follow USA method for protecting school.
The blame of this accident totally fall on the parent for not educating the kids on road safety.

The parents have publicly said that they taught their children on road safety. So, you disbelieve them and choose to place the blame on the two dead kids?

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hear hear!!

that was what exactly happened to me a few times as well. cyclists who want to behave like pedestrians are a real hazard because it is almost impossible to react when they come zooming from the blind side,....and that is even after i have checked my blind spot.

this is for the situation of a car, can you imagine for a huge truck like a cement mixer? the driver would have been unable to react and the fact that he was said to have to have been unaware of what happened until other motorists warned him is testament of the situation. The boys must have thought he should have seen them but he didn't that is how an accident like this happens.

Not like the Ferrari case where he was speeding to beat the red light whilst getting a bj

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Assume that both truck and cyclists were seeing green lights to move, after all they were moving in parallel, truck on road, and brothers on road crossing. It is then common for them to hear vehicles moving on their right side. This happens at all road junctions. Is it fair to say that the brothers has to expect the truck to turn left suddenly?

When I am crossing the road at cross junction, once I am walking on the road I look ahead and fully expect vehicles to be moving on my right side, as the vehicles are also cleared to drive straight. My focus is more on vehicles coming from the perpendicular direction, and not those coming from my rear. If a driver suddenly turn left, I can't react in time. Fortunately, in past few decades, every single driver stopped and allow me to continue crossing before they turn left.

Question is, did truck driver stop or slowed to a crawl when he was making that left turn? Probably not.

It is Traffic rule that the vehicle turning left at such junctions must slow to a crawl and stop if required. You are basically saying that if someone swings a punch at you from your rear, you ought to avoid it. You should get out of your car and try crossing a similar traffic junction on foot.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have said in my earlier post, the driver was a safety instructor, the children were taught safety, what went wrong? Repeating what I have said, I can only deduce that, (1) the driver is in a hurry to offload his cement for another run, Lunar New Year round the corner, another load, more income, (2) the kids were in a hurry to go home, mum is leaving house to work part time at MacDonald.

Do the heavy vehicles like the cement mixer are installed with the speed limiter?, for I have seen these "beast" doing 100 kph. More must be done to make it safe for children , youth, seniors, public , around school zone.

I guess, the fast, mad pace of society is the main contribution to this tragedy, both the driver & the kids have been "educated". I am sure both are in a big hurry, thus resulting in a grave human error.

I am sure every parent are responsible for their children, many, just have no time to enforce, what they teaches..again, the mad rush in society, to make money, to...raise productivity...

Society is responsible for this tragedy..it is not the absence of parental responsibility in this case.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hear hear!!

that was what exactly happened to me a few times as well. cyclists who want to behave like pedestrians are a real hazard because it is almost impossible to react when they come zooming from the blind side,....and that is even after i have checked my blind spot.

this is for the situation of a car, can you imagine for a huge truck like a cement mixer? the driver would have been unable to react and the fact that he was said to have to have been unaware of what happened until other motorists warned him is testament of the situation. The boys must have thought he should have seen them but he didn't that is how an accident like this happens.

Not like the Ferrari case where he was speeding to beat the red light whilst getting a bj

We lack spaces or once again spaces make money, they rather use that space for that, than for social needs like bicycle paths. For example, go to the bus stop outside Ang Mo Kio MRT Station, facing AMK Avenue 3. Any time of the day, except late night, the bus stop is very congested & the space inside the bus stop is very tight, when there is a lot of people, it is very congested. During rush hours, school dismissal time, those waiting for their buses have to jostle with the human traffic that moves along the side of the bus stop, which is also part of the walkway. Worse of all, there are cyclist on their bicycle, some with pillion riders ( fetching kids from school), that come barreling down that same walkway, some will ring their bells, others, you don't know until, you see them.

Look this is "ass loon" territory, I am sure his "grass looters" are sleeping, unless a tragedy strikes, thankfully since the MRT started none has happened there, a tragedy is waiting to happen.

What I am saying is that, the cyclist have no choice but to use the walkways that merge into the bus stop, for the main road is too dangerous, too many cars & buses are constantly flowing into that bus stop.

What is needed is a segregation of a bicycle lane, from that walkway, if not possible all along the road, but at that portion, where the bus stop is only.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The parents have publicly said that they taught their children on road safety. So, you disbelieve them and choose to place the blame on the two dead kids?

Road safety??? while riding pillion???? :eek: The parents are either idiots or liars.

When we were kids, we used to crash while riding pillion all by ourselves. We didn't need cars to run us over. It's one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bike even if you had the road all to yourself.

To ride pillion on a heavily congested street is pretty much a death wish. If they were doing it on a regular basis, I'm surprised they lasted this long.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hear hear!!

This situation doesn't happen to me as in making a left turn at road junctions, I always drive slowly, so I have time to react, and pedestrians and cyclists know that I am turning.

Long vehicles have added responsibility as they have to move up a lot more before turning left, since their rear wheels are going to cut in with much tighter arc. This may give pedestrians wrong impression that the long vehicle is not turning left. Hence long vehicles must turn left very slowly and check their left blind spot while turning.

You go to similar traffice junction and observe the public buses turning left. These sbs bus drivers are well trained in this regard.

Last edited:

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
tuayapeh waiting for Leongsam to come and talk cock down here....

see how he try to talk after i cut off his fucking tongue

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The driver responsible for the accident is himself an instructor to teach new drivers to drive heavy vehicles!!! Now what does that tell us?