• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tampines Brothers & Parental Responsibility

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know this will be politically incorrect and insensitive to some but I have issues where children are not accorded the proper protection and guidance.

The reality is that the victims are the 2 brothers. Also understand that it is an accident and possibly negligence on the part of the driver but the level of traffic at the location is a red flag at the best of times. I know many parents will not allow their kids to ride a bike let alone carry a pillion in such an environment.

We might not have helped with this situation but we can help further avoid such accidents or reduce it if we are prepared to see it for what it is.

I have no doubt that authorities could have and should have played a path. 1st World countries limit speed at school zones. Special cycles path ways including traffic signals for bicycles have been done. Its worth every penny to invest in our our young and our future. It will be a boon for those who can't afford maids and bus fares.

Lets be considerate, lets be sensitive but lets also recognise that the 2 kids are the actual victims. Peer and society pressure will force parents and guardians to re-look and assess the situation when it comes to looking after their wards.

Some people have made similar comments but have been marginalised. I just felt that adults should realise that they have a responsibility for whoever they bring into this world.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While I find you very obnoxious and teetah most of the time, this one about parental responsibility I do wholeheartedly agree with you.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like to add that Tampines Town Council must shoulder part of the blame. There're no cycling paths in Tampines at all, no thanks to Irene Lee.

Because Tampines Town Council did not educate the Tampines cyclists, the cyclists ride as they think is correct in Tampines.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
While I find you very obnoxious and teetah most of the time, this one about parental responsibility I do wholeheartedly agree with you.

While I find you boorish and immature, I am glad you acknowledge the unsavory traits you share with your namesake.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The parents of the 2 boys would be guilt ridden for the rest of their lives for having permitted the 2 boys to ride home from school. That said, the fact remains that either one of the 2 parents couldnt have been there to fetch the younger child from because they were probably desperately trying to make ends meet. If there are no proper cycling paths for the kids in Tampines then the better decision will be to never let children ride to school. I drive past Katong in the evnings, and i am sure many of you would have noticed a lot of kid coming out of the Canadian school who are riding their bikes, scooter boards as well as skateboards.

So if everyone is in fingerpointing mode, why not just lay down a simple rule which should be enforced gravely. Cycling only on cycling paths. No cycling or skating or skateboarding anymore on footpaths.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know this will be politically incorrect and insensitive to some but I have issues where children are not accorded the proper protection and guidance.

The reality is that the victims are the 2 brothers. Also understand that it is an accident and possibly negligence on the part of the driver but the level of traffic at the location is a red flag at the best of times. I know many parents will not allow their kids to ride a bike let alone carry a pillion in such an environment.

We might not have helped with this situation but we can help further avoid such accidents or reduce it if we are prepared to see it for what it is.

I have no doubt that authorities could have and should have played a path. 1st World countries limit speed at school zones. Special cycles path ways including traffic signals for bicycles have been done. Its worth every penny to invest in our our young and our future. It will be a boon for those who can't afford maids and bus fares.

Lets be considerate, lets be sensitive but lets also recognise that the 2 kids are the actual victims. Peer and society pressure will force parents and guardians to re-look and assess the situation when it comes to looking after their wards.

Some people have made similar comments but have been marginalised. I just felt that adults should realise that they have a responsibility for whoever they bring into this world.
I agree that parents have responsibility, but where do we draw the line in terms of what a 13 year old can or cannot do? When I was eight years old, I was already crossing suburb roads on my own. Is singapore roads that unsafe today that a 13 year old teenager still need to be handheld by an adult to cross a traffic junction? If situation is that unsafe today, then the solution should be to reinstate the roads safety standard to that befitting a developed nation.

I don't think the bike or pillion riding has anything to do with this case. The brothers could be on foot and still get run over by the reckless driver. In fact that reckless driver could have knocked down any adult pedestrian that day had one been unlucky to be at that junction at that fateful moment.

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
The parents of the 2 boys would be guilt ridden for the rest of their lives for having permitted the 2 boys to ride home from school. That said, the fact remains that either one of the 2 parents couldnt have been there to fetch the younger child from because they were probably desperately trying to make ends meet. If there are no proper cycling paths for the kids in Tampines then the better decision will be to never let children ride to school. I drive past Katong in the evnings, and i am sure many of you would have noticed a lot of kid coming out of the Canadian school who are riding their bikes, scooter boards as well as skateboards.

So if everyone is in fingerpointing mode, why not just lay down a simple rule which should be enforced gravely. Cycling only on cycling paths. No cycling or skating or skateboarding anymore on footpaths.
So instead of making sure drivers observe safety rules and basic highway codes, your solution is to make everyone else suffer?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry about the messenger, I am not running for the papacy or Ms Singapore, the message should be the focus.

Agree about the council and us in society should also be accountable. There are so much we can do.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been wanting to say this, after the spotlight turns away from the gruesome nature of the accident and the bereaved parents.

Road safety should not be the sole responsibility of motorists. Pedestrians and other road users need to be aware of their surroundings as well. I am seeing more cyclists cycle across zebra crossings on filter lanes and across pedestrian crossings. There are even cyclists along busy roads these days. This is unacceptable. They pose a hazard to themselves and other motorists and they need to understand this. As the population of leisure cyclists increase, the authorities have a responsibility not only to educate them on road safety but to craft suitable legislation and provide infrastructure to meet the needs of the population. Sadly this has not been done and it takes a tragedy to highlight the inadequacies of this government.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
the accident involved a concrete pouring truck, too much constructions in Singapore, need to slow down.

Is the driver FT with kopi licence from his own homeland? Why is the truck there in the first place. There are traffic management planned routes to use to avoid school grounds, construction trucks ban from entering main city busy roads and junctions and curfew time during school finish time. These are important OH& S issues for construction industry to adapt.

Chasing after GDP causd death of 2 young life, is it worth it?

So instead of making sure drivers observe safety rules and basic highway codes, your solution is to make everyone else suffer?

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng agrees u need 2 hands to clap. bicycles should not be ridden on main road and drivers must also drive carefully n safely. :rolleyes: chinese saying horse road like tiger mouth 马路如虎口!

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've been wanting to say this, after the spotlight turns away from the gruesome nature of the accident and the bereaved parents.

Road safety should not be the sole responsibility of motorists. Pedestrians and other road users need to be aware of their surroundings as well. I am seeing more cyclists cycle across zebra crossings on filter lanes and across pedestrian crossings. There are even cyclists along busy roads these days. This is unacceptable. They pose a hazard to themselves and other motorists and they need to understand this. As the population of leisure cyclists increase, the authorities have a responsibility not only to educate them on road safety but to craft suitable legislation and provide infrastructure to meet the needs of the population. Sadly this has not been done and it takes a tragedy to highlight the inadequacies of this government.
Can't argue with that. Though I think penalties on reckless driving is simply too lenient, especially in past decade.

I had encountered accidents before, on both occasions cars rammed into my car rear. One of which is quite obviously a drunk driver, but the IO had to drop the case because AGC don't want to pursue, only issue warning. The IO, who was a retiree cop hired by TP on contract basis was so mad at AGC. He told me he was knocked down by a reckless driver while riding he motorbike, same case, AGC did not pursue.

chilakak

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree that parents have responsibility, but where do we draw the line in terms of what a 13 year old can or cannot do? When I was eight years old, I was already crossing suburb roads on my own. Is singapore roads that unsafe today that a 13 year old teenager still need to be handheld by an adult to cross a traffic junction? If situation is that unsafe today, then the solution should be to reinstate the roads safety standard to that befitting a developed nation.

I don't think the bike or pillion riding has anything to do with this case. The brothers could be on foot and still get run over by the reckless driver. In fact that reckless driver could have knocked down any adult pedestrian that day had one been unlucky to be at that junction at that fateful moment.

Like you, from P1 onwards, I was already walking a couple of kms to and from school by myself. However, I think our generation was brought up with a lot more common sense and situational awareness than today's kids. It is not that the situation is more unsafe today than when we were kids. It is simply a case of today's young people being more self-absorbed. Have you seen people walking around busily twiddling with their phones and gadgets and not bothering to be aware of their surroundings? Have you seen people crossing roads with their eyes glued to their phones? I often have to make detours around such people when I walk around on this island. Have you seen kids on bikes weaving in and out of traffic on roads and weaving around pedestrians on walking paths? How did these people end up like this? Brought up with lots of attention showered on them but very little common sense. I think this is part of the gist of what the TS is saying and I fully agree.

You assert very confidently that the driver of the cement mixer was reckless. What makes you so sure the driver was reckless? What makes you so sure the lights were not in his favour? What makes you so sure the kids did not move onto the road while the truck was still in the process of completing its turn? Have you ever seen stupid people who stand right at the corner of a junction and refuse to budge even when a big vehicle like a bus or truck is making a ninety degree turn at the same corner? Don't they know they are putting themselves at risk? And when they get hit, all the blame goes to the driver?

I am not saying the driver was blameless since we don't know until the investigation releases more information. But it is rather unfair to just conclude the driver was reckless the way you did. Do you drive? If you do and are an aware driver, you will not be so quick to heap the blame on the driver without knowing more.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
You assert very confidently that the driver of the cement mixer was reckless. What makes you so sure the driver was reckless? What makes you so sure the lights were not in his favour? What makes you so sure the kids did not move onto the road while the truck was still in the process of completing its turn? Have you ever seen stupid people who stand right at the corner of a junction and refuse to budge even when a big vehicle like a bus or truck is making a ninety degree turn at the same corner? Don't they know they are putting themselves at risk? And when they get hit, all the blame goes to the driver?

I am not saying the driver was blameless since we don't know until the investigation releases more information. But it is rather unfair to just conclude the driver was reckless the way you did. Do you drive? If you do and are an aware driver, you will not be so quick to heap the blame on the driver without knowing more.
The case is that the truck was making a left turn at the junction. The lights was probably green for the brothers to cross and the truck to drive forward. In such situation, if you have a valid sg driving license, you will know that the onus is entirely on the driver to check his left before proceeding. He obviously did not check left, especially his blind spot.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sincerely hope that parents as well the authorities have a -think about their respective roles where kids are concerned. The recent white paper on population focuses on rewarding childbirth and looking after children. Safety and education for parents about kids should be a key plank.

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was reported in the New Paper yesterday that the driver was wearing the yellow construction boots when the accident happened. The idiot should be hung by his balls.

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
From what we know, the driver only stopped because other drivers honked at him to stop. This means that he did not even know when he knocked them down. One more thing, he was wearing the yellow construction boots when driving. How do one controls the accelerator and brake while wearing the boots?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sincerely hope that parents as well the authorities have a -think about their respective roles where kids are concerned. The recent white paper on population focuses on rewarding childbirth and looking after children. Safety and education for parents about kids should be a key plank.
Then tell us, what is the age that teenagers be allowed to cross the roads on their own? 18?

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't argue with that. Though I think penalties on reckless driving is simply too lenient, especially in past decade.

I seem to notice incidents where offenders are young women or the new rich being handled with kid's gloves. Not rich or important? Maximum sentence for you. I think either judgments are arbitrary and inconsistent, or our judiciary no longer believes in passing deterrence sentences.