• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Strange Lineup of Speakers @ GKS State Funeral

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Philip Yeo was the most famous for abusing the system and he learnt it in Mindef. He is the Perm sec that has got the most pings from auditor general and as recent as 2 years ago for having 2 offices and one in a place that he no longer runs.

Tan Ching Tiong is also an interesting chap. Complained the most about everything. He maximised his time in the Civil service.

kingrant;4a69404 said:
When LHL mentiouned that when GKS heardd that BG Tan Chiin Tiontg could noot have hris wife accompany him during his training overseas because it was only a year, GKS had his traning extended to more than 1 year so that TCT's wife could join him. Now isnt that cheating to get around rules? At whose expense? The tax payers' of course. More per diem expenses, more allowances, pay for wife etc. And they thought it was so clever? I wld say devious.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old Fart has finished his eulogy - no tears, no drama, no spark .... all he has shown the World is that his walk is shaky now .....

I noticed that he doesn't have that thunder in his voice, an extremely watered down sly look he usually have & a very rare forgetting his speech & correcting himself. His slow gait bellies his age, his time is now coming to a close too; while the 'boatman' awaits him at the cul de sac.
:biggrin:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps a grim reminder that time is not on his side regarldess of level of medical care. At most another 5 years and after that body fails followed by that brilliant mind. Wife is a constant reminder of that fact and GKS is another.

Also the pioneer generation that grew up with this group of old guards and are their fervent supporters are getting up there in age. Many on this forum probably have faint idea of GKS and are not mesermized by old guards.

I noticed that he doesn't have that thunder in his voice, an extremely watered down sly look he usually have & a very rare forgetting his speech & correcting himself. His slow gait bellies his age, his time is now coming to a close too; while the 'boatman' awaits him at the cul de sac.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

The old man is probably thinking : KNN, becos of him kicking the bucket while I am in the land of the rising sun......and Jap meimeis with their wild fetishes, I cannot extend for R&R while there. What the heck am I wasting my time preaching to daft audiences ? I should be better off telling the Japs ot model their country after my kingdom.

That is probably why thhere is no fire in him during the speech.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The old man is probably thinking : KNN, becos of him kicking the bucket while I am in the land of the rising sun......and Jap meimeis with their wild fetishes, I cannot extend for R&R while there. What the heck am I wasting my time preaching to daft audiences ? I should be better off telling the Japs ot model their country after my kingdom.

i think he's keeping a very low profile while watching n reading peoples' reactions n responses trying to catch 1 wrong word n thats it - he will then swoop down swiftly like an eagle catching its prize prey.:biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
It looked to me he could collapse any time, slowly shuffling his feet. I also thought maybe we could have a 2 in 1 yesterday - send one off get one free. His son - I almost fell off my sofa - gait: beats all the Bugis street natives to shame. Did GKS spot him?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the clever elites who think they always can see the greater good. What's one more man's per diem when he is top talent etc. Ya, what's one whole Cabinet of fatcat Ministers when the GDP depends them? WE cld have superior minds like GKS to work for free those years, why can't this bloody lot of useless nincompoops do the same?

Philip Yeo was the most famous for abusing the system and he learnt it in Mindef. He is the Perm sec that has got the most pings from auditor general and as recent as 2 years ago for having 2 offices and one in a place that he no longer runs.

Tan Ching Tiong is also an interesting chap. Complained the most about everything. He maximised his time in the Civil service.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It looked to me he could collapse any time, slowly shuffling his feet. I also thought maybe we could have a 2 in 1 yesterday - send one off get one free. His son - I almost fell off my sofa - gait: beats all the Bugis street natives to shame. Did GKS spot him?

dun worry their times will come soon.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Did not know at first what to make out of it!, the son gaits while he walks, while the father shuffled along..at least in his hey day; Lee Kuan Yew walk like a MAN!:wink:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jap meis meis...he will be burned to cinders...just by fantasying at his age..:p

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps a grim reminder that time is not on his side regarldess of level of medical care.

not just medical care, the man believes in personal discipline in exercising, healthy lifestyle etc.

Watching his walk, I think he has prostate problem - hokkien called tua lampar. I doubt he can do his daily stationery bike cycling - something he was very proud about. Up down the stage 2-3 steps also unsteady, I think he can't climb stairs unassisted.

Age is no respecter of fame or notoriety.

As for Ms Marian Goh aka Mrs John Hui - the grand-niece, looks & speaks like a little school gal. Hard to believe she is a mother of 14yr son & 9yr daughter ....

ok hoo haa over .... back to the grind!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The official line is that Raja spotted the talent in him. Here is a odd bit, he never worked in the same ministry as Raja. Everyone knew that old man schooled him statecraft and he was tutored in Malay and Russian. Ho Ching by the way was spotted by Dhanabalan.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dhana not best choice because he has never worked closely with late Dr Goh since he was seconded from government service in late 1960s to start DBS Bank. To me, a person like Goh Kim Leong who worked with Dr Goh in both Mindef and MOE is more appropriate.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. honest, when one by one of the same age group, peer or beloved ones began to pass on, the sheep should have some 2nd thought on death.
2. well, one more to go after gks.
3. after all, the sheep is still a mortal.
4. in many ways, the sheep is "waiting" for his calling too.
5. knowing the sheep and his above-all-exception thing, it is frustrating to wait and witness more "people" passing.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The official line is that Raja spotted the talent in him. Here is a odd bit, he never worked in the same ministry as Raja. Everyone knew that old man schooled him statecraft and he was tutored in Malay and Russian. Ho Ching by the way was spotted by Dhanabalan.

I thought it was Falip...was the matchmaker?, matchmaker, matchaker, find me a match.... hoo hoo hooo hoo :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
I didn't listen to a single speech, nor did I read a single article, nor did I watch a single telecast of the funeral or his life.
Does that make me apathetic, ignorant or ungrateful?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dhana not best choice because he has never worked closely with late Dr Goh since he was seconded from government service in late 1960s to start DBS Bank. To me, a person like Goh Kim Leong who worked with Dr Goh in both Mindef and MOE is more appropriate.
On the contrary:

• Administrative Officer (Ministry of Finance) 1960-61
  • Economic Development Board 1961-1968
  • DBS Vice President 1968-1970
  • DBS Executive Vice President 1970-1978
Dhana was with giants GKS, Hon Sui Sen, Pillay, Ngiam Tong Dow in the Finance & Industrialization hotseats & the birth of EDB.... he has certainly worked under Goh Keng Swee ... I think also becos Dhana is Chairman Temasek Holdings another of Dr Goh's creation.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I didn't listen to a single speech, nor did I read a single article, nor did I watch a single telecast of the funeral or his life.
Does that make me apathetic, ignorant or ungrateful?
none of the above, simply means you are a cynic :biggrin: and you are obviously not alone. there are many here.

to each his own....